86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
Lookin good Chef!! It will be like a brand new jack when ya get it back together. Definitly gotta keep them greased. I don't have the actual Hi Lift, its the HF knock off one. But when its not been greased in a while in no likey to work. Which has been known to be quite dangerous for me lol. I always keep a can of Amsoil M&P in the truck just in case it needs it. Give it a quick spray down and voila, good as new.
Sorry for the ramble, just thought Id throw my .02 in there
You're never rambling on here, Zach! Thanks, and yeah, I'm doing my best to clean it up to like new, 3 coats o paint, etc. I have white lithium grease to get it REAL thick on the inner workings, arm mechanisms, etc., and I will be sure to keep it that way. They have a sale coming up at 4wheelparts that I will be able to get the high lift HD bag for like 20$ instead of 34$... So I might do that, too, just to keep it stored in my rig(They can get grease on stuff, I've had another(also a HF one like yourself! lol)... I just couldn't pass this up for 30$!

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
do some periodic PM's on these things is always a good idea.
Just curious about the top of yours:

did you chop off the top of your like I did mine? I made the mistake of cutting some off my 60" High lift so it would fit across the bed of my '05 Taco...
No, I didn't cut any off, ...and as far as it being cut off....I don't think so.... I'm pretty sure it's 48" when I measured it. The top Winch hoop is laying there on top of my industrial sawzall box.... which will go back on, and the stand will have new, stainless c-pins for the handle and base.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
You're never rambling on here, Zach! Thanks, and yeah, I'm doing my best to clean it up to like new, 3 coats o paint, etc. I have white lithium grease to get it REAL thick on the inner workings, arm mechanisms, etc., and I will be sure to keep it that way. They have a sale coming up at 4wheelparts that I will be able to get the high lift HD bag for like 20$ instead of 34$... So I might do that, too, just to keep it stored in my rig(They can get grease on stuff, I've had another(also a HF one like yourself! lol)... I just couldn't pass this up for 30$!
Hell yea! $30 for a Hi Lift? I will take as many as I can get for that price and pass them out for Xmas gifts lmao. Is that bag the neoprene one that covers the mechanism? I always wanted on of those just to keep the water off of it.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:25 PM

Hey Zach, ....yeah, it's made by HiLift, while others make them too(Daystar and a couple more, I believe.) It seals up the entire jack.....and I've read ideas like "Put a silica packet in there" ....I guess to absorb ANY moisture that might get in. Lubing it will protect it for the most part, but I guess it's some guys "extra measure", eh? lol

Today I reassembled the Hi-Lift, and tomorrow I'll Liquid Wrench-White Lithium Grease Spray Bottle it to death! lol. Jk, but ENOUGH, for sure! I have a Daystar handle keeper, but the Baseball bat grip tape that's on it makes it too thick.... so I'd have to remove the tape or cut the daystar thing bigger(the hole). It was 10$ at this 4wheelparts.... so we'll see. I might not wanna get rid of that grip....it's nice. haha

anyway, here'is>

Before>

After>

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-11-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:49 PM

I would not use grease as it will pick up dirt and small things which can bind it up.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by mfwimg82
I would not use grease as it will pick up dirt and small things which can bind it up.
..............."and so, instead, if I were you, I'd use.................".....???????? lol.

I only went with the White lithium because a mechanical engineer/1st Gen Pick up through 3rd Gen 4Runner/Taco Guru told me to.

What do you use, Mike? .... Just keep it lubed up with some Murphy's Oil or something? (I have some Murphy's). I can always shoot it down after trips with some Simple Green and then Re-Lithium her up! lol.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:02 AM

PS> Can anyone shoot an opinion for me on something? >>>>>>

*** A guy I know has a Custom Con-Ferr Rack, custom made for his 86 4Runner. Con-Ferr Owner(Jim I think it was?) made it custom for him with 8 mounting feet and 4 Mounting rods welded to the basket, which is 60"x42".... It locks and easily comes off.

*** I know Con-Ferr is out of biz now, but from looking around, I see that these Racks/ready to go are NOT cheap.... and he's asking 300$ for it. He said, he would possibly negotiate, but not over the phone...... and so, I wondered.........

IS 300$, POSSIBLY 250$ A GOOD DEAL FOR A GOOD SIZE/WELL BUILT RACK LIKE THAT?

PS> I would be mounting my Hi-Lift/Locking it on the rack, ... as well as lights which it has tabs for 4. Shovels, etc.(Hi-Lift before and after pics above^^)
Old 09-12-2011, 09:11 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Mark,
Use some silicon spray on the jack...dry lubricant doesn't attract dirt.

As for the basket, i guess it depends on what kind of shape it's in. I think Yakimas and Thules go for around $200 new. look up Sunco also.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by RBX
Mark,
Use some silicon spray on the jack...dry lubricant doesn't attract dirt.

As for the basket, i guess it depends on what kind of shape it's in. I think Yakimas and Thules go for around $200 new. look up Sunco also.
200$ new..... At 5' by 4' demensions and WITH 8 mounting feet and 4 rack arms? Con-Ferr Quality? Not arguing, RB, ...just curious.

And thanks for the tip on the silcone, I have some. I used it on my dashpot per 4Crawlers instructions.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:30 AM
RBX

I don't know about quality of the Con-Ferr vs. competition. Why'd they go out of business? not saying they made a bad product, because i don't know. Check out Sunco, they are pricey, but look like the Con-Ferr.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:38 AM

Id say 200 for a used rack of that size would be fair if its in pretty good shape mark imho, X2 on the silicone spray, OR you could just donate that slick looking jack to my cause and leave it up to me to figure out the best way to keep it working rite lol.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
"surco"... "sunco" yielded nothing
Old 09-12-2011, 09:48 AM

A New Surco, with rails and basket, alone, would be around 679$....(one that MIGHT work, anyway, for an 87 Landcruiser)................. lol.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:54 AM
RBX

right....Surco...oops.

Surco is expensive, but seems like serious overland types use them....and they look the business.
i read on expeditionportal.com, when i did a Google search, that a Con-Ferr in 93 sold new for $400...if that helps.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:58 AM

shoot, i'd just build one. for that price, you could buy a welder, build the rack, then sell the welder
Old 09-12-2011, 10:03 AM
RBX

Sell a welder....to get a better or bigger one, right? Ian you are crazy...
I equate off-road or 4x4 with welder
Old 09-12-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by RBX
right....Surco...oops.

Surco is expensive, but seems like serious overland types use them....and they look the business.
i read on expeditionportal.com, when i did a Google search, that a Con-Ferr in 93 sold new for $400...if that helps.
Thanks, RB! yeah, I've read other posts where people said they paid around 500-600$(in that range) for the Longer Con-Ferr Rack ...with 3 feet on each side design, like they were intended to be. This guy had the owner build him one for the 4Runner(due to the weakness of the fiberglass gutters on the shell) with 4 mounting feet on each side. I guess I should offer around 200$.

Originally Posted by irab88
shoot, i'd just build one. for that price, you could buy a welder, build the rack, then sell the welder
I think it would cost me more than that to put one together, including the rack arms, feet, basket material, etc. I would love to, but I just don't have time, anyhow, to build one. I still have to get the sliders and trans done. But if a 'deal' comes along that would be practical and save me a chunk of money and, well, to be honest, 'BOLT RIGHT ON'! lol....well, then I hate to pass it up IF it's in good shape. It's only a 30 min drive or so... And I have to be deep in Long Beach, today or tomorrow, so I'd be basically 20 minutes from there...... might be worth a look, right?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 AM
RBX

found this on...uh...a heep forum, good idea though

about $100 in parts

Last edited by RBX; 09-12-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: edit price
Old 09-12-2011, 10:07 AM

uhh, yeah... that's exactly what i meant...

the thing is, i have a welder at home (borrowed from a friend), but very little time to weld stuff. or the bank to do the more awesome mods (chevy leafs, bumper, etc)

anyway, good luck with the rack search, mark!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:13 AM

Thanks, Ian, and thanks for that, above, RBX.... the HF stuff I mean. I have that Cargo Trailer Hitch Carrier that has worked FANTASTICALLY for me, quite a few times. I even used it as a Tire Carrier a couple times around town for a friend.(Didn't want them in my cargo area in the rear of my 4runner.... they were TOE UP DIRTY/GREASY! lol.

I have a new acquaintance that welds, ...but I would not feel comfy even asking, as I know he's a busy dude! lol. My neighbor, same thing. One day, the neighbor might just say, "HEY, wanna do that rack? I have all this square tubing and yadda yadda"..... but I doubt it. He's EXTREMELY busy, all the time. WHO ISN'T, RIGHT? LOL.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:14 AM
RBX

i know ian...time or money, one can't have both. but it's nice to have the welder sitting and available when you need it. I bought a welder with 3 friends of mine, because none of us need it full time.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread