86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 01:45 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Y'all n yur bucket seats. I'd be happy to find myself some spilt bench seats.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Corbeau makes a bench
Old 08-30-2011, 02:00 PM

I wonder if my bench will fit into the BMW and vice versa.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:58 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
mustang seats

Last edited by irab88; 08-30-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:05 PM

Those should be good for about an extra 40 or 50 horse.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pulled some Recaro buckets out of a 90s VW GLI. Very comfy

Old 08-30-2011, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
I wonder if my bench will fit into the BMW and vice versa.
Sure, just bust out the sawzall and make some holes in the roof for your head, get some goggles and mount the seat so it will clear the transmission tunnel. I don't see any problem with that plan
Old 08-30-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey guys,

THANK YOU, SO MUCH, for all the links, jokes, convo in general! lol.... 40-50 Horses, you say??????? hmmmmmmmmm! lol.

I went to Pick-u-Part, today, cuz the Scion guy is not around today. Then I walked in the 90*F weather for a while, about 2 hours, just browsing, getting ideas, etc. I ended up wondering if the best case scenario out of a car would be a 2door, since they'll be set up to roll forward from a different spot and further most likely????

I saw plenty of Camry's, a couple Dozen Previa's, Plenty of Mazda's, some Corolla's that actually seemed to be in better shape, and a 95 4Runner. The 4Runner seats seemed to be in pretty good shape.... but the most comfy seats I tried were 1. a Newer Model Hyundai 4door.....CUSH seats, man! 2. a 90's Integra(Not sure on those.... it had the pop up lights I believe, 2 door?) They were really comfy as well! BUT, of course, ....if they wont fit, what's the point. I'm going to get measurements and make sure they'll fit before I do anything, don't worry. lol. That Hyundai seat was solid, like BRAND NEW still.... plenty of cushion under the rump, not too tight on the ribs..... I think I would prefer that to the Integra, mainly because the head rests come off on the Hyundai, not on the integra.... It was like a arch of sorts, like a U on it's side, fastened to the seat, permanently from what I could tell, lol.

I did get a killer angled leather shift knob out of a Celica GT-S that fit right in! Stoked on that. I also found a couple dome light assemblies that will probably work really well for the rear if I can get back there with tools this time. (I was out already, didn't bother to head back to get my tools.

THANKS AGAIN, GUYS!

Mark

This weekend, pick-u-part is 50% off EVERYTHING,..so, yeah, if the Scion thing wont fit, .......I might wanna try something like that, right? I'm sure it'll be a MADHOUSE, the yard will.... But if I can measure em up, spend another hour or so tomorrow, making sure they'll fit, ... then either one of those would work!

Somewhere in my build thread, I someone posted a pic of one that bolted RIGHT IN.... and dangit if I can't find it! lol. It was some kind of mini-minivan type thing, lol. Like a 2001-2003....... something, GRRR! lol. I think it was a mistubishi, but I could be wrong. Don't think it was a kia,.....anyway, it was one of those 'not AS common' brands.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:20 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Previa brackets may take some fabbing to fit due to there tall position, I'm guessing.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Those should be good for about an extra 40 or 50 horse.
well, i was pushing 43 with just the driver's seat, and about 46-47 with the passenger's seat in. so now, along with the covers, i think i'm getting the full 50 (or close to it)

Old 08-30-2011, 06:30 PM

yeah but you forgot to subtract 5 for the busted steering column cover. haha.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:32 PM

that only affects my torque, not hp. duh!
Old 08-31-2011, 05:52 AM

hey chef good to see somethings are starting to come togther ...as for seat? can you really put a price on your comfort//lol try going to a stealership for a test drive to see if those seats seem like something you'd like ..i know they will be different in your runner but gives a little insight ..good luck & keep up the good work hahah
Old 08-31-2011, 11:52 AM

Yeah, can't pay too much for comfort! I agree! lol. Only thing is ,....I'm really having to watch it, and I wouldn't even consider doing this if I wasn't concerned that my seat reclining mechanism might just fail completely and cause a wreck, etc., lol.

I'm still fishing on the Cruise control stuff, and I'll have both figured out, eventually, ....just been reallllllllly busy! Chain saw stuff's til Thursday(pruning some huge fruit trees, etc.), on top of work, ....I'ma be trying to actually get down there today and grab a couple seats I think will work. (95 4Runner, pretty cherry seats, just not sure that their mechanisms are too much better? lol. I'll be sure before I grab em.....)

Scuba offered to help me weld in those TC seats... But I'm not sure when I can get to Temecula for a day of hangin/welding/working with the Scooob! lol(just not sure when I can find the dang time! I would barely get time to go to Pick-u-part, if I'm lucky, and get outta there in a couple hours, get back here to do dinner..... Geesh, ... I'm so slim on freakin time all the time! lol. But I wanna try sitting in them, really quick, to see if the Scion ones are the CUSH! lol. Can't seem to beat that price, from everything else people post on CL around here..... I think they're all sniffing glue, the prices they ask!!! ) hahaha.

I'd love to meet Scoob, do this the most comfy way, etc., ...so I'ma try those out, first, and see if I can't figure out a way/time, this weekend, to get to him to do this!

Thanks, guys, ....always appreciate the help!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:12 PM

i had a cadillac with a broken seat i got to part out the po used a snow brush to hold the seat ..lol..was not good ...as for prices, ppl are crazy these days, with stuff ,including around me.. i blame cash for clunckers and craigslist for parts price/availabilty
Old 08-31-2011, 05:05 PM

Well, ..... those TC seats are NICE, very good condition, and he has around 4 pairs to choose from..... And his son misquoted the price... not 100$ for both, 125$ for 2 or 75$ for one is what he wants.

I measured up things with my seat frame, ..... the rail bolts, ....

From front to front bolts= 17.25"
From Front to Rear Bolts= 15.50"
From Rear to Rear Bolts= 18.00"

2005 Scion TC seats were indeed different. They were very close on Front to Rear, but the front to front was like 15.50".... 2 Inches, nearly! lol. The seats in my truck are MUCH wider, btw, ... at least 2". Also, the TC seats have a dual bolt mount on the rear/inside fastener that bolts to the hump in the center and the floor(like an 'L' shape mounting apparatus on that one). Sorry, he wouldn't let me take pics, and the Pick-U-Part banned picture taking... if they see you taking pics, they throw you out. ??????????? Oh well, anyway>>>

The Scion XB Seats, were actually much closer on the bolt distances, width of seats, but they sit up a lil higher.... And they mount in the rear/inside location ONLY on the hump, not on the floor...... So that would need a bracket welded to it, etc. But HOLY CRAP, the XB seats were not only wider, but MUCH more comfortable!

I also stopped by my buddy's brother's yard, ..... Independent Dismantlers(Toy, Nissan, Infinity, Scion, etc.).... They had some Honda Oddesy(Sp?) Seats that seemed nearly direct bolt up in the dimensions, ....and HOLY CRAPOLI, ..... by far, the most comfy seats I sat in as of yet! But, they were Air Bag seats, all electric and 275$ each! lol. He has some Jeep Seats(I know, I know), also VERY comfortable, out of a Rubicon, and a couple seats out of a Nissan Xterra, ..... they too were almost directly bolt in fit! Unfortunately, they were sold lol.

I didn't have time to get to the Pick-u-Part, and with my luck, the 95 4Runner Seats are gone by now! lol. If not, someone will most likely pull them, move them to the trunk of some mustang or something, all the way cross the yard(People do that before the sales, ....JERKS! :angry: )

I REALLY like the Scion Seats, and for 75$ for one and 125$ for two? Hmmmmm, .... while it might take some work to get them to work.... they would be REALLY comfy and long lasting, I would bet. I think I'd rather have the XB seats, to be honest... but they sit UP more, due to the configuration of the BOX that is the XB, lol... so I'm not sure my head wouldn't be bumping on the ceiling during wheeling? lol.

Didn't learn anything on the Cruise Control just yet... Tried it again, NOTHING. I tried the 'getting it to flash' thing, and nada.... so I think that only warns you or goes off, flashing, when you're not moving 25MPH, maybe??????? It only flashed when I was sitting still, idling.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-31-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:43 PM

Still working on the seats project.... and REALLY want the Scion seats, ... but we'll see.

For now, I got this on my porch, today....>>>>

the other day, I got this at the Pick-u-Part.... (TERRIBLE pic... I'll get one that shows what it really looks like, how the front is curved, etc.) Out of a Celica GT-S .....

Got this of lunch the other day(not sure if I posted it).... for them and their guests by the pool(it's kinda cool.... I grill right where they are... tell them what I have, they order it up, I grill it, .... DONE, and the Garage Fridge is stocked, so they have all the drinks they want, aside from what I make for them... Anyway, couple pics of 'lately' food, lol....

Stuffed with Cave Aged English Cheddar and topped with Comte! MMM, lol....

Then I just stayed out there for dinner, slapped down some 2 day Dark Beer Brine Cage Free Chix, ..... Iowa Sweet Corn, home Grown Zucchini and Port.Shrooms, lol....

Got this with my ladies for my Fathers day dinner... (might have posted it..sorry if so)....

Saw this on my way home today, thought i'd snap a shot, lol... THING WAS LOUD! lol....>>

OH YEAH, and ONE of the 2 Car Isles at my local Big Lots.... (my batteries died in the camera, sorry, lol)......

that's it for the random party, ..... STOKED on the Bezel, it's nice! lol. Hope it doesn't break going in lol....

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-31-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:00 PM

Glad to see that you found a bezel deal. I had to replace mine when I got the truck. It was all smashed in haha. Kinda hard to find in decent shape.

That DB9 is pretty sweet. I can see the relfection of your runner in it.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:10 AM

..... I got new seats, I will post up later today, when I clean the grease hand prints from the KNOBS that hang out at Pick-U-Part on 50% off day!!!!!!!!! They are 90'something(???.... Maybe 88 or so) Camry LXE Gray Luxury fabric(not the burlap sack stuff,..more like velour) Cloth seats..... other than the stains, they seem like the person must have been older(cuz they took care of them like an older lady would)... and small person(cuz the cushions seem like no one ever sat in them!).... But again, the stains from these knobs hands are pretty scuzzy..... I gotta clean em up a lil. The head rests are SUWEEEEEEEEEEEET, compared to mine. They're also 5 level adjustable forward-clicking.... And they're MUCH thicker, so I can actually drive while sitting back, reclined, and not have to look down over my nose! lol. (anyone know what I mean???? I HATE THAT! lol)

As gross as it sounds, I did smell them very carefully..... Especially, in a yard...... NOT ONLY because people die in wrecks or get seriously injured and relieve themselves(told you it was gross, lol)..... But MORE SO, because of....... can you guess?>>>>>> CATS! friggin cat urine is worse than anything! That is the Wrecking yards WORST enemy! Ask one! lol.. And fortunately, ..... this Camry came in WHILE I was there, .....fork lift brought it in, and I RAN! lol. Still, cats might have gotten to it while it sat.... so I inspected, carefully(I didn't stuff my nose in the cracks or anything, ....I promise! lol. I have INCREDIBLE sense of smell... I've always had it... and hearing. Didn't even have a wiff of BO, nothing! And like I said, they're pretty clean, considering. Couple tiny lil marks in the back.... ALMOST look like Cig burns, but no burning! lol. So I think they're something else... You'll see, tiny.

Anyway, ...here they are.>>>>>>>>>>>>

Here's some other stuff I got for like 10$ total! >>>>>>

Did I do good for 48$ total for the day???? (OH, I also got 40FT of 10G quality Wire! ..... so I can wire up some extra lights, my aux power, etc...That wouldn't have been free, right? lol)>
Old 09-02-2011, 11:18 AM

great finds, mark! those seats look comfy!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread