86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:32 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
1) it's updated every time a new os comes out, so it'll work with whatever version of windows you have. i have win7, and it boots up as fast as new.

2) i've never had a virus, so i couldn't tell you. but maybe the software is just that good

3) cmiiw, but i believe having more than one anti-virus program installed will cause issues. each program will see the other as a threat

4) it's free
Old 08-24-2011, 01:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by irab88
1) it's updated every time a new os comes out, so it'll work with whatever version of windows you have. i have win7, and it boots up as fast as new.

2) i've never had a virus, so i couldn't tell you. but maybe the software is just that good

3) cmiiw, but i believe having more than one anti-virus program installed will cause issues. each program will see the other as a threat

4) it's free
Thanks a lot, Ian! Soon as I can sit here for a solid hour, I'm going to install some stuff(most likely this or Avast) and do some cleaning up of my registry..... Any ideas on a good registry clean up tool(the best one? Does MSE do that?)

Thanks again,

Mark

PS> HEY GUYS, ....I GOT A PEFECT CONDITION BEZEL OFF A YOTATECHIE VENDOR! LOL. he's a member, too... but for around 30$ shipped from WA.... I'm happy, considering I'm getting the entire bezel and sticker in perfect condition!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I am by no means a computer wizard even though I did it 12 years ago and it has changed so much I am way behind on the times. I had to reload my laptop at work with Avast. Think I caught a virus off of C-list, but cant say for sure. I only go to known safe sites.

I have Kapersky on my home computer and havent had any problems.

What kind of Bezel you talking about? I know it not the door bezels that I have been looking for on ebay. I found some for the 89-95 but none for the 84-88.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:25 PM

AC/Heater w/clock bezel. lol.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I had a brainfirt. Good score.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:48 PM

What, exactly are you looking for, Terry?
Old 08-26-2011, 10:46 AM

Alarm will be installed, today!... Tears of joy>> And a WOOT and for good measure! lol
Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 307 Likes on 211 Posts
Who did you get that bezel off of chef? Id be interested in one of those!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:00 AM

I got it off JDM715, I believe. He's a member on here with a 'used toyota parts' store on Ebay. He only had the one, that I know of.... But you could look on the classified ads here(I tried that for a while... I'm sure one will come up), or Ebay motors, or Ebay in general, or Craigslist.org, or maybe some of the other 4wd sites?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wooooo!!! glad to hear your getting your alarm installed today man!! sorry its been a few days, just got back from a trip to oakland/san lorenzo. and congrats on the bezzel find, i need to find one of those now haha
Old 08-26-2011, 04:06 PM

CHIRP, CHIRP! LOL....

Viper, good one, wired SO CLEAN by this dude! 2way, 2 remotes, door locks, 2 kill switches... Just around 300$ w/labor! I feel good about that.

Have some questions on some Radio stuff, though. Looks like this guys prices on Kenwood, Clarion, JVC, Pioneer, ALLLLLL much cheaper than even Best Buy! He has a Kenwood, normally like 180$ at Best Buy(looked it up) with Sirius and MP3-USB, 98$! Not sure I can pass that up! lol.

Anyway, now I can take the top off with a lil less concern. He wired all through to the side windows, rear window(for shock and available roll down), put the HORN where I wanted it(Much harder for him to get to, so I was grateful! lol.

Did I do good? lol.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:53 PM

Sounds like a good deal to me chef but i aint for sure LOL where i live there aint much need for one so you dnt hear of people talkn bout what they have got theres for as ive stated b4 i leave my keys in my truck dnt think they have ever left the egnition even when i go to the store or even the mall round here
Old 08-26-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by baddest94
Sounds like a good deal to me chef but i aint for sure LOL where i live there aint much need for one so you dnt hear of people talkn bout what they have got theres for as ive stated b4 i leave my keys in my truck dnt think they have ever left the egnition even when i go to the store or even the mall round here
Oh, I KNOW it's so.... spent MUCH time in East Valley Spokane, WA in the 80's, Prescott, AZ some, Ohio Countryside, TX(all over), ....not much of an issue as far as alarms, etc. But times are changin, Baddest,.....EVERYWHERE! lol. I mean, think about how many people you've seen totally wacked out on meth, even in VA-Middle of Nowhere in the last 10 years. I've had buddies in the Appalachian Wild run into people doing H, right there by their tents near a creek! lol. Heck, they're drillin holes in gas tanks ALL over the USA, Baddest...

Granted, ....it's OBVIOUSLY more risky in L.A....... but I can't tell you how many times I've left/lost something, even a wallet a couple times, and it was ALWAYS returned. True, that's not always the case........ But remember, not that I'm trying to throw 'L.A. Poison in your well', hahaha.....BUT, ... One day, you might walk out and some tweeker has yoinked it from ya! Not telling you what to do, Baddest, ...but really? Is your wanting to believe the best in people in your region, area, worth possibly losing something you've worked so hard on/for? I mean,...you need a key to start it, right? Why not lock it? lol.

PS> All last summer, ....I had my top off for long periods. NOTHING was taken.... even my speakers/boxes. But as I add THOUSANDS of dollars, totaling it all up, in products, upgrades, modifications, parts and HARD WORK? It becomes more and more important to me that I do EVERYTHING to protect something I've worked so hard on, so hard for and so hard to keep, lol. It could still happen.... but I'ma do my best to prevent it, ya know? That's why I went with the 2-way instead of just standard Viper.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like you got a nice alarm set up. mine just came in. i will be installing it soon. 2way pager as well and i will have 3 sirens. one being inside the truck so you can sit inside all you want looking for it while its blasting away
Old 08-26-2011, 08:38 PM

Totally get that, one thing that worries me about the first gen is that if I can break into it in about 45 seconds with a coat hanger than imagine what someone can do who knows what they're doing. I am guessing it's not too hard to hot-wire it either, but haven't tried that yet.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:54 PM

theft seems to be getting worst around my neck of the woods lately. was so bad last few years but this year just jumped 10x. having my cat stolen not too long ago got me doing some counter measures. i se to install alarms in the past so the way you said how its wired up, you should be good and the 2way should be good. just done make the stock sensors to sensitive or you will get to many false alarms and you leaving to check on your truck too often. always something im afraid off.

Last edited by ToyoTech559; 08-26-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:59 PM

NVM, I got it, lol. I musta hit this lil weird window in the top right and it just went all 'FULL SCREEN' ON ME! lol. DANG i need a new monitor! GRATEFUL for what I have, ...an old samsung syncmaster.... but GEEESH! THE SQUARE THING, ....IT'S JUST LIKE, OUT, YA KNOW? hahaha.

Anyway, First Gen 4Runners easy to break into? Please clarify that, SC, .....not being sassy, lol... just curious if you mean 1st gen runners. I've never found that so... every time a tow truck has had to get in, they can't do it with a slim jim, they can't get in the window way unless they use the air bag in the door thing. They show up and go "Oh man, not this..... Gotta get the air bag"... The side windows aint easy either, ...and from what I know, the 4runners in these years have a prevention TAB that runs across the top, unlike the trucks for some reason... Anyway, NO MATTER WHAT, I want all I can get regarding security! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-26-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:12 PM

Chef the way the world is going ya never know what could happen round hear you dont hear of much crime besides pill heads getting busted. yea theres been a couple meth lads in the county that the cops acted like was a big thing but im sure it was just some hillbilly (not to offend anyone LOL) maken it so he didnt have to buy ne. Mayb one day i will locker her up but prob not till i hear alota news bout breakins
Old 08-26-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by baddest94
Chef the way the world is going ya never know what could happen round hear you dont hear of much crime besides pill heads getting busted. yea theres been a couple meth lads in the county that the cops acted like was a big thing but im sure it was just some hillbilly (not to offend anyone LOL) maken it so he didnt have to buy ne. Mayb one day i will locker her up but prob not till i hear alota news bout breakins
Ok, well, it's yer stuff! lol. I just would HATE to hear that sad news, man. I just look at it through the prism of the good ole Cliche, .... "An ounce of prevention is worth a POUND of cure!" This expression means that it is better to try to avoid problems in the first place, rather than trying to fix them once they arise, lol. Either way, ...hope your well, man! Always appreciate your kind words and chipper manner! lol.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:25 PM

I would hate to lose her to look at it this way our town cop can ride from one end of town to the other in prob 5 mins or less like i said very small town we aint even got a red light lol. I aint the type to start a rucus bout anything i like to hear other peoples thoughts bout things

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread