86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chef i hope you get that trans man that sounds like a great price and that would pretty much wrap up your major work rite
Old 08-20-2011, 09:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh yeah... and in all reality... it grinds like once an outing, and not hardly EVER like it was, ...'GRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT' those first few days.. It's really working fairly well, comparatively to some I've been in that are newer than mine even! lol. But that occasional grind.... if that syncro is even there..... and it one day just BLOWS UP(is that possible? ..... Well, with mine it would be the first case, right? hahaha)... ?? That would SUUUUUUUUK! lol. Funny though... once again, as I drive it, it's getting less and less often.... But yes, it EVENTUALLY, every outing, does it at least once..... and OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, that teeth crunching 'GRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIND'! lol.

A buddy of mine has a trans shop in AZ... he'll be visiting soon.... he'll tell me "dude, NOW!" or "Dude, relax"... and then I'll decide. What am I trying to decide? Well, should I just do this myself and make this rig TRULY 100% BUILT NOT BOUGHT? ... or should I enjoy it and let someone else do it!?!?!?! hahahaha.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:24 PM

If you can get it for 150 you should grab it even if that guy says chill you could always sell it and make some on it. Look at it this way if you put it in you know everything is torqued and installed correctly
Old 08-20-2011, 10:36 PM

Oh yeah... after all I've now tackled, ...this doesn't intimidate me, guys, promise... it's just TIME! lol. Time, actually, in relation to my RIG BEING DOWN! ya know? lol. But if I could rebuild/reseal that one(just what it needs, ya know?)... hey, then I could do it as a swap in one day, WOOT! lol. He's not contacted me back all day now... not sure what's up... oh well, I'm patient, don't ya think? hahaha.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
PS> Not that everyone would care, ....STILL>>> , .....SCOTTY.... addicted offroad?>>> Selling his 2000 4RUNNER FROM HELL! lol. I almost commented on his thread on Marlin... but I don't wanna wast up space on there and cause him to have to keep doing a "TTT" post thereafter! lol... besides... HE KNOWS it's sweet! lol.
That rig is even more impressive in person and wheels like a champ. I love that thing. Hes got alot of hours in it.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oops... Just saw this.. Ok, so they're NOT DOM? I thought it said that.... Bummer. I mean, for 40$ more, isn't it worth it? I wanna do it ONCE, then powdercoat em and be DONE, STUVO, FINI! lol.
i dont plan on getting in any situation where i will be needed them. but i like to know i have them if i ever do get into one. also its more for the high lift and side step for the roof lol

if you plan on sliding on rocks alot, sure i would get them but seeing as i dont even have a flat belly, its not really worth it lol.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:00 AM

hey, man... whats up?..

so i was looking it up for you and the HREW with shipping is 273.54 the DOM is 323.54, its really only a 50 dollar difference, if you have the cash at the time you decide to get them id say do it. and i found the picture of that roof rack, maybe youll think it looks as nice as i did...

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

here you go man
Old 08-21-2011, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Chef.. I seen earlier on your thread that someone said it isnt too bad to rebuild one of these your self and seeing you are thinking it, got me to wondering also if I could do it. I think I have a lead on a noisey tranny and wouldnt have to give much for it.

Just the little I have been looking into it, it seems possible with a FSM. Might have to invest in a few more tools. It would be a good learning experience.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
That rig is even more impressive in person and wheels like a champ. I love that thing. Hes got alot of hours in it.
I KNOW, ...that's my DREAM 3rd gen 4DOOR T4R~! That dude's work is impressive in and of itself! lol.

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
i dont plan on getting in any situation where i will be needed them. but i like to know i have them if i ever do get into one. also its more for the high lift and side step for the roof lol

if you plan on sliding on rocks alot, sure i would get them but seeing as i dont even have a flat belly, its not really worth it lol.
Hmmmm. Yeah, I see whatcha mean. I've caved in a couple door bottoms.... things I could push out for the most part... nothing major before. I mean, I don't usually 'CLIMB SOMETHING OUTRAGEOUS, THE HARD WAY, FOR FUN', hahaha. I TOTALLY get it, and have done it, and will some day again have a CRAWLIN/CREEPIN rig, most likely... But yeah, I don't wanna beat this thing to hell, lol. My point on the sliders is that, well, I go around things, thus, putting myself in situations where if I hop over something on the side, I would very possibly crunch the door/fenders.... So I'd like to have them just to avoid that. You saying you're getting those ones I linked to? Just not getting the more pricey ones? Or are you saying you don't need sliders at all? Just curious. Again,..I getya on the practicality thing.

Originally Posted by bm87runner
hey, man... whats up?..

so i was looking it up for you and the HREW with shipping is 273.54 the DOM is 323.54, its really only a 50 dollar difference, if you have the cash at the time you decide to get them id say do it. and i found the picture of that roof rack, maybe youll think it looks as nice as i did...

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

here you go man
that thing is SICK! lol. Reminds me of RMA's truck. Do you have a link to that thread? Or is that just a pic, brandon? Either way, that's very nice of ya, man... hope you didn't spend too much time looking that up, eeek lol. It's inspiring though... and yes, I like those racks. You can buy them, complete. they extend, retract, too!

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Chef.. I seen earlier on your thread that someone said it isnt too bad to rebuild one of these your self and seeing you are thinking it, got me to wondering also if I could do it. I think I have a lead on a noisey tranny and wouldnt have to give much for it.

Just the little I have been looking into it, it seems possible with a FSM. Might have to invest in a few more tools. It would be a good learning experience.
Yeah, .... I'm REALLY hoping to get an answer... Most guys in L.A. want like 250$ or so for a used trans. That's fine, ...but I'm very OCD,...I need it to be SMOOTH LIKE BUTTER! Not knowing EXACTLY what's up, for 250$???? Yeah, not so much! lol.

I'll keep ya all updated! Gonna try to do the Alarm tomorrow... But of course, they have Family visiting from Alaska.... pool bbq and drinks, all day! lol. So, yeah, it's a bit time consuming.... I was SLAMMED from 3-12 last night, on top of starting at 5am.... grrr, lol. NOT BITCHING, ...I'm grateful.... Just that, well, I have horrible timing, I guess! lol. I wanna do the Sierras VERY badly! Don't need a roof rack for that, or even a new trans... But I can't leave WITHOUT TIME! lol.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:28 AM

PS> Brandon, That's EXACTLY the bumper I like out of the 2 they offer. Less of a stinger. I even like the SMALLER custom stinger ones I've seen... They come like mid grill and are closer to the grill.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:43 AM

Kinda going back a couple posts here, but I haven't been able to keep up with my Yota reading lately.
A buddy of mine has a trans shop in AZ... he'll be visiting soon.... he'll tell me "dude, NOW!" or "Dude, relax"... and then I'll decide. What am I trying to decide? Well, should I just do this myself and make this rig TRULY 100% BUILT NOT BOUGHT? ... or should I enjoy it and let someone else do it!?!?!?! hahahaha.
I can completely relate to this feeling. I feel the same way about the paint job I'll eventually have to do, and that's just paint. I'm not going to lie to you, a transmission is one of those things I don't feel bad paying someone else to rebuild because of the complexity involved. I'd feel better about digging into one that I didn't depend on for my daily driver, maybe, but even then I wouldn't count on being able to use it afterwards. I think bottom line is you don't have to touch every bolt in your truck to call it built. I almost want to encourage you to do it yourself so I can follow along, but in all seriousness if I was in your place I'd likely leave a transmission to the professionals to minimise down time on the daily driver.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmmm. Yeah, I see whatcha mean. I've caved in a couple door bottoms.... things I could push out for the most part... nothing major before. I mean, I don't usually 'CLIMB SOMETHING OUTRAGEOUS, THE HARD WAY, FOR FUN', hahaha. I TOTALLY get it, and have done it, and will some day again have a CRAWLIN/CREEPIN rig, most likely... But yeah, I don't wanna beat this thing to hell, lol. My point on the sliders is that, well, I go around things, thus, putting myself in situations where if I hop over something on the side, I would very possibly crunch the door/fenders.... So I'd like to have them just to avoid that. You saying you're getting those ones I linked to? Just not getting the more pricey ones? Or are you saying you don't need sliders at all? Just curious. Again,..I getya on the practicality thing.
i have been looking at all kinds of sliders. 4xinnovation seem to be the best looking and price. plus i want the kickout without having to pay more like other company's charge. also they come with all the plates and gusset to make the install much stronger. like you said, i do too take the less body damage line lol but i been in a few areas that i have to get out and check before moving on. so with sliders i can keep on rolling hehe
Old 08-21-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dutchbelly
Kinda going back a couple posts here, but I haven't been able to keep up with my Yota reading lately.

I can completely relate to this feeling. I feel the same way about the paint job I'll eventually have to do, and that's just paint. I'm not going to lie to you, a transmission is one of those things I don't feel bad paying someone else to rebuild because of the complexity involved. I'd feel better about digging into one that I didn't depend on for my daily driver, maybe, but even then I wouldn't count on being able to use it afterwards. I think bottom line is you don't have to touch every bolt in your truck to call it built. I almost want to encourage you to do it yourself so I can follow along, but in all seriousness if I was in your place I'd likely leave a transmission to the professionals to minimise down time on the daily driver.
Yeah, I hear ya... it's like a catch....44! lol. 22's all over the place, more likely! lol.

Anyway, yeah... the HOPE for that trans near me is.... I could rebuild it while I just drive mine... Then when it's done, inspected by my machinist buddy(he's very knowledgeable on ALL mechanical things, etc. He presses in gears on trans', etc., all the time) or the Trans buddy I have to take a look at some pictures, specs I find, etc. Then I would only be 'down', technically, a day or so for install/removal? But yeah.. that place I found that supplies all the gears to EVERY trans shop in CA that's worth a dang?>>>> Maybe they'd do a better job than i? lol. Catch22.... because I KNOW that if I take my time, with anything, ..it's gonna be as close as ANYONE can get it. It's a trans, so no real honing or such to go on... Just have to get all the things in perfect order, new seals and then make sure clearances are PERFECT as can be! We'll see... Waiting for a call from this guy, who's near by with a trans, ....hopefully soon!
Old 08-21-2011, 02:24 PM

that 4runner looks awesome, i still think yours is cleaner though chef and yes i have the link to the thread, but be carefull ive lost hours of my life due to just checking out all these pages of people trucks wheeling hahah kinda as close to wheeling as ive been able to get lately. and were you talking about the bumper in this picture or the one i ordered?? cause mine is gonna be here in about two days wooooooo! here is the link buddy https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...st+gen+4runner
Old 08-22-2011, 12:44 AM

Hey guys, ...... I REALLY NEED AN ANSWER! I know this will start a firestorm via people like Brandon(XXX) and others whom are GREAT with computers, ..but at this point, I CAN'T TAKE ANOTHER MINUTE OF FREAKIN MCAFEE(IF THAT'S MY PROBLEM)!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! LOL. could be that one, too>>>> I also have issues with HP PC Advisor(which I've read is really important for things, but there's ways to stop it from EVER running during the times I'm most often online, etc.... Help with that would be great!)..

But for now,

1. WHICH ANTI-VIRUS IS THE BEST, MOST NON-INTRUSIVE PROGRAM?

2. I think my McAfee is expired as far as the Anti-Virus portion.... But it's still running firewalls, etc., ...today, I clicked on my "Windows has Important Messages" blurb.... in there was "Windows needs your permission to figure out some problems"... I clicked yes, ... it IMMEDIATELY came up with some Hub-thingy regarding "McAfee Essentials" or some crap like that. Is it something like Norton's fiasco where they screwed up your computer until you re-ordered it???? Every 20 minutes, or so, McAfee pops up a window "Your computer is at risk".... So I'm assuming it's expired, cuz when I click on "Find out more"... it takes me RIGHT TO a "Renew now for $$$" .... I've had this computer a year and not got a virus.... but this freakin McAfee is SO INTRUSIVE, SOO SLOWWW and out of nowhere it uploads updates, info, and slows down my computer to a crawl!!!! AHHHHHHH! lol

3. I then Updated my Malwarebytes and restarted, twice(I have the pay version of malwarebytes... I know, it just seemed like it did more? lol)and finally it is up to date. I had it set up to 'auto update' every day.... but when I went to update it this time, it said, "This is 244 days out of date".... WTH?

4. Please, if you want to PM me, fine, but someone, tell me what the heck is the best method for security for Windows 7 on an HP PC.... 4G ram, 500G HD... not the best computer, but it works UNTIL RECENTLY, just fine for me! lol. (it's around a year old)

5. I need to add; Before all the latest drama with McAfee, or HP Advisor, or "Spool Stopped Working", or "WHATEVER',.. Months ago, I began having this McAfee thing popping up saying "McAfee is off, 'Turn On', ...and I would, then it would pop back up minutes later, or sooner, and then it would do it again sometimes, and eventually, it would just stay on. It did other things that will come to me... but really, I just need a decent bit of advice and I'LL TAKE IT!

Thanks, and sorry to the mod's if this is out of line...but I'm ABOUT TO THROW IT OUT A WINDOW!

PS> If someone who is apt with puters tells me, 'DELETE MCAFEE, GET THIS, BE DONE WITH IT'.... I'm fine with that! lol.

Thanks again..... I'm a patient guy, but I'm really about to break something!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-22-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:37 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Mark.....having a bit of trouble keeping up with everyone's threads lately as you can see I'm plenty occupied with our stuff.

sliders:...i would like to do on my truck...someday...if not for wheeling (because I haven't been out in over a year and there's really nowhere to go LEGALLY around here) then for keeping shopping carts a safe distance...hehehhehe.

roof rack: i've seen mention before about an XTERRA rack modded to fit. and I drive past a junkyard to and from work that has a nice XTERRA sitting there all crunched up with an intact rack. someone i work with has one too and I said "you didn't wreck that thing yet?"....to which she said " i know you just want my roof rack"

the computer thing:...I'm a total ignoramus when it comes to that stuff....sent my desktop PC to LUMPY when it was all fouled up and it runs like a champ now for almost 2 years. he's gonna get my laptop too and he has his own side business collaboration http://www.wizardspeed.com/home.html . I know Brandon is an ace with this stuff as well and whenever someone starts to explain computer stuff, all i hear is BZZZZZZZ.

good luck man
Old 08-22-2011, 04:14 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Chef there's a computer section of the forum here as well. I use Avast on mine. McAfee and Norton suck. Kaspersky AVP is supposed to be good, never used it though.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
Mark.....having a bit of trouble keeping up with everyone's threads lately as you can see I'm plenty occupied with our stuff.

sliders:...i would like to do on my truck...someday...if not for wheeling (because I haven't been out in over a year and there's really nowhere to go LEGALLY around here) then for keeping shopping carts a safe distance...hehehhehe.

I hear ya! lol. Some knob/knobette dinged my rear pass. corner panel! GRrr!

roof rack: i've seen mention before about an XTERRA rack modded to fit. and I drive past a junkyard to and from work that has a nice XTERRA sitting there all crunched up with an intact rack. someone i work with has one too and I said "you didn't wreck that thing yet?"....to which she said " i know you just want my roof rack"

Yeah, I'ma have to look that up... it's nice, eh?

the computer thing:...I'm a total ignoramus when it comes to that stuff....sent my desktop PC to LUMPY when it was all fouled up and it runs like a champ now for almost 2 years. he's gonna get my laptop too and he has his own side business collaboration http://www.wizardspeed.com/home.html . I know Brandon is an ace with this stuff as well and whenever someone starts to explain computer stuff, all i hear is BZZZZZZZ.

I'm ok with computers... My sister always calls me to come fix hers, restore it, figure out which virus came in via her kids downloading games, etc. But when it comes to 'compatibility software issues', 'programming', I'm still learning. Thanks for the link!

good luck man
Thanks, Jerry.... always great to hear from ya!

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Chef there's a computer section of the forum here as well. I use Avast on mine. McAfee and Norton suck. Kaspersky AVP is supposed to be good, never used it though.
Thanks, Brandon! Interesting; After I clicked that "Windows needs your permission to try and resolve some issues", and after it showed me that McAfee was the problem,....that made a lot of sense this morning(even on 4 hours sleep! hahhaa.) It seems to be quick as heck again.... But I'm still not sure why the HP Advisor thingy keeps having issues. Maybe that's due to McAfee stopping it from updating, etc. as well. I just have heard so many things from computer guys like yourself regarding how "mcafee is SO INTRUSIVE, slows things down dramatically!".... And like now, it seems to be working great, right? IT DOESN'T LAST! LOL.

I'll cruise over there asap and lay out my problems! lol. Thanks again,

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-22-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:14 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/secur...s/default.aspx

100% free.

i have it, my dad has it, my brother has it. works, and stays in the background 'til you need it. highly reccomended.

oh, and it's free.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by irab88
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/secur...s/default.aspx

100% free.

i have it, my dad has it, my brother has it. works, and stays in the background 'til you need it. highly reccomended.

oh, and it's free.
THANK YOU! lol... I've heard this for over a year... but my questions are.... if I download that...

1. Will it work better with Windows 7, seeing that it's ....well, Microsoft? lol

2. Does it actually stop and store Virus'?

3. Should I still, even with MSE, get Avira or AVG or Kaperski,....or something? haha

Thanks a LOT, Ian... I can't tell you how UPSET this is making me! lol.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread