86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
OK, ....

I've decided to update a lil on what I've figured I 'should'/'want to' address, lol.

1. I'm doing the Alarm, first. (Can't mod/repair/wheel a truck that's in Baja-Mexico!) lol

2. While I wait for my appt. with this Alarm guy, I'm going to investigate the limited stuff on the front wheels.(I believe I will add the low pro stops for uptravel, droop seems ok and don't wanna snap the CV's)> I also need to try verify/rule out that the Edelbrock shocks are bottoming out.

3. I will ask the alarm guy on the Inverter install(what he thinks is the best one to use for my applications, etc.) and then ask him how much more to install the 750W-1500W one in the Panels in back(if he says, "No problem, I'll just do that as a freebee", SOLD! If not, I'll ask him for the very best way to install it and then do it!).

4. I need to figure out how much I can get away with(stuff/droop) in the rear, then figure out if THOSE shocks are also bottoming out before I can stuff the wheel a lil more/droop a lil more.

5. I'm a lil concerned with the Locker/Diff in the rear... It's done that 'CRACKKKKKKKKKK', pinging noise a couple more times, recently, ... Seems to be mostly when I back up slowly in reverse, then go to move forward, ...."CRACKKKKKK/PINGGGGGG". I don't want my rear end to explode because of whatever is going on. If it's just the locker engaging on rare occasions in a weird way, FINE, ... I just can't know with my knowledge base as it is, now, ya know?

6. Looking in the yards for a panel/sticker for the AC/Heater display. Mine is cracked and looks like crap. I would just grab one from the Ebay or whatever, ...but they want up to 50$ for the whole display. Maybe I'm just not seeing the sticker available by itself?(any help on that?)

7. I was thinking between the "roof rack" idea and the Tailgate wheel carrier.... Not sure which would be more expensive, but i would only need the roof rack when on trips/wheeling. The Spare could go in back when just around town, locked to the roll bar, then I could remove the tire carrier... Just that they both seem to be pretty pricey options... And there are issues with clearance, etc., with the roof rack that I don't like. the pros of the rack, besides having things ABOVE where they're not often obstructed from getting to them, is 1. I camp, often, where bears cruise in the forest and will tear into anything on the ground... Being able to stash everything up there when crashed out, etc., is GREAT! (2.) I can throw stuff up there, rather than having it in my hitch carrier when trying to wheel into some spots that I often go, where, to be honest, I KNOW that the hitch carrier will get me high teetering! lol. Either that, or it'll just get ripped off/bent! lol.

8. Possibly #4 or so, depending on if my buddy comes through with the 'free deck', would be a nice new Deck. As it is, it's last, as I DO have a stereo that works, just fine... and while it doesn't have MP3 in, USB in, etc., ... IT WORKS, and I'M ALWAYS watching the cabbage crop yield! lol.

The truck is running great, .... and AC is working, and unless something is wrong, I'm locked in the rear... The trans/t-case are working flawlessly off road, clearance seems ok as is for the wheeling/snapping cv's aspect, etc., .. So I wanna start focusing on moving forward. I've been really busy, so I've had to put off doing some of the things that I 'have, now', ya know? But I was out there, today, cleaning up the garage, getting stuff laid out for the 'electronic' stuffs, etc. ASAP, I will be wiring up that Aux-12V waterproof thingy, maybe 2 of them(an extra one on the bumper) and I'll see what the Alarm guy says on the rear panel inverter idea, before starting on that one. He might even give me some stuff to make it PERFECT, lol(like RB did!). I also need to install the Junction box, to run all the electrical stuffs, lights, etc., off that 4G into 8G system.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:29 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
The roof rack will be way cheaper then the tire carrier. The roof rack also hurts mpg. They are both good mods, I had the steel and welder for the tire carrier on the cheap, and doesn't affect mpg. Roof basket is comin soon, I have to get the brake swap done first, as she's been on stands for two weeks now.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
All of the work you have done to your truck and have it stolen, I would go nuts. To bad you have to worry about things like that. What about also rigging a cutout or safety switch on top of an alarm?

These faceplates are getting hard to find. My old one had 5 settings on it and the one I have now only has 4, but it isnt all cracked and battered up. I know where the settings are so I live with it. Might be an option to look at.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey chef see your list and for the spare tire carrier i would go with the rear carrier just seems like alot less work if you ever happen to get a flat. As for the shocks bottoming out what size lift are those for. I got my bj spacers finially installed tonight WOOT LOL mine are 2 to 3 in over stock and havent try to completely stuff em yet but it didnt look like they would bottom out but i could be wrong guess ill find out tomorrow. And i installed a new deck earlier mine was so old it didnt even have an aux port for my ipod now i can jam it. Ill let ya know what i run into on my shocks after i test em tomorrow/today
Old 08-19-2011, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the ac/heater panel sticker is pretty expensive even with my discount from toyota. theres a guy on marlin forum selling a complete assembly with clock i think for 25$
Old 08-19-2011, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by RBX
The roof rack will be way cheaper then the tire carrier. The roof rack also hurts mpg. They are both good mods, I had the steel and welder for the tire carrier on the cheap, and doesn't affect mpg. Roof basket is comin soon, I have to get the brake swap done first, as she's been on stands for two weeks now.
Thanks, man... LOVE the input! I actually found a guy in Torrance who is advertising "I will fab ANYTHING to keep your gear still/bumpers/sliders/specialize in custom roof racks, ... just give me a drawing and I will make it(within reason/practicality)"

Originally Posted by Terrys87
All of the work you have done to your truck and have it stolen, I would go nuts. To bad you have to worry about things like that. What about also rigging a cutout or safety switch on top of an alarm?

These faceplates are getting hard to find. My old one had 5 settings on it and the one I have now only has 4, but it isnt all cracked and battered up. I know where the settings are so I live with it. Might be an option to look at.
Yeah, I know.... I HAVE TO PROTECT MY INVESTMENT, ... whether alarms work 50% or not! This guy is INSANE good! And, ... he does a special kill switch... on top of the kill I have in it now... it should be at least REALLY difficult to get started... HOwever, wont stop the flatbed A-HOLES like the ones that got my 89 CHERRY! Far as the faceplate... I'm gonna prod toyotech for that link! hahaha. 25$ sounds awesome for me! lol. Wait, are you saying you have one? Let me know

Originally Posted by baddest94
Hey chef see your list and for the spare tire carrier i would go with the rear carrier just seems like alot less work if you ever happen to get a flat. As for the shocks bottoming out what size lift are those for. I got my bj spacers finially installed tonight WOOT LOL mine are 2 to 3 in over stock and havent try to completely stuff em yet but it didnt look like they would bottom out but i could be wrong guess ill find out tomorrow. And i installed a new deck earlier mine was so old it didnt even have an aux port for my ipod now i can jam it. Ill let ya know what i run into on my shocks after i test em tomorrow/today
Can't wait to have a good deck...but I WILL wait til after alarm, other goodies, for sure... I need to be able to jack this rig up on the trail.... NEED the Hi-lift... NEED the trans fixed... etc., ya know what I mean? For now, my Supertuner works, lol. 3300 model, XM ready, oldie! lol. 2001 or so?

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
the ac/heater panel sticker is pretty expensive even with my discount from toyota. theres a guy on marlin forum selling a complete assembly with clock i think for 25$
LINK ME, PLEASE? HAHAHA. I'll try to find it, ... don't mean I want you to do any searching,... that's just lazy.. I'm just really busy, so I'll have to MAKE TIME, RIGHT? LOL. Thanks, Toyo, ... appreciated!

PS> 4xinnovations.com seems to have, at 160$, the best deal on slider kits. Not sure what I would want, kick out or not(that's the round thingy on the end, right? lol.. What's that for? Step? )
Old 08-20-2011, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I wish I did have another faceplate. Checked the salvage yesterday and none of those were any good. I need one for my flat bed, it is completely gone.

I hate to hear of you getting a truck stolen. Not really wanting to hijack your thead, but would like to put out some information I learned the hard way. Maybe you know it or not. It happened to me and you get a lot of readers, so would like to help them out.

If you have an attached garage, most people think their truck is safe locked up inside and leave the keys in the ignition or on a key rack on either side of the door that enters the garage.

Most garages have a button that you can push from the inside that opens the door before you enter your truck.

Just from looking from the outside, you can tell which way to go. A thief will grab what he wants and use your truck to take your stuff out. I learned the hard way.

I have talked to several people and they thought the same thing, my car is locked up and safe.

The bad part is when mine got stolen, he wrecked it into a neighbors car and totaled out my neighbors. I thought ok, the house insurance would cover it. NOT!!! I had a deductible on the house and had to pay a deductible on the truck.

Ask your friends and family if I broke into their house, if I could find their keys and be out within a minute or so. You would be surprised.

Also, I learned that having a deadbolt and regular door lock on both everything would help keep them out. Look on your door and you will see there is at the most 1/2 inch of would to keep your door bolts from letting the door open. One good bang and the door is knocked open. You see the cops do it all the time on TV.

Not trying to hijack your thread, just hope this saves someone else the trouble I went through.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:55 AM

hey chef im really happy for you that you no longer have to worry about your truck man. now you get to do mods that you WANT not NEED. i still think you should get your trans man, you dont wanna if it and then like you said get stuck in the middle of no where. and nice job on finding the guy to install your alarm, im pretty sure it would cost like 400 for a shop out here to do it, i want to get one but i dont have the dough, let alone a working truck. hah. and i forget the thread i was looking at but this kid had an awesome 1st gen black runner with a roof rack that looked awesome. ill try to find the picture.

and woo your looking at 4xinnovations? have you heard about them before? and the kickout is for protecting the rear wheel wells, from what i asked adam(the owner), but they stick out longer which could be bad for narrow trails.

your thread makes me never wanna give up working on my truck chef, my parents and neighbors are all, "i can help you get it to the shop, aaa will let me tow it to my mechanic", "what are you doing when are you going to take it to get looked at", yada yada yada. haha NEEVER! is what i say, but really thanks chef youve been the most help and inspiring me to keep on going. i appreciate it.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:51 PM

not a problem. looks like someone already called dibs on it but you can still try
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=83590.0
Old 08-20-2011, 02:57 PM

Holy Crapoli.. .I think that's maltese 4runner ! hahaha. Oh well, I guess i got beaten to the punch! Who knows... maybe I'll find one in the yards around here! lol.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Holy Crapoli.. .I think that's maltese 4runner ! hahaha. Oh well, I guess i got beaten to the punch! Who knows... maybe I'll find one in the yards around here! lol.
lol yea it is.
im also looking to do the same sliders with kickout. narrow trails wont be a problem as our runners are already pretty narrow and with the kickout the total width cant be wider than a stock fj cruiser or taco. plus it can be used as a step to access the roof if you have a roof rack
Old 08-20-2011, 04:24 PM

PS> Not that everyone would care, ....STILL>>> , .....SCOTTY.... addicted offroad?>>> Selling his 2000 4RUNNER FROM HELL! lol. I almost commented on his thread on Marlin... but I don't wanna wast up space on there and cause him to have to keep doing a "TTT" post thereafter! lol... besides... HE KNOWS it's sweet! lol.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:29 PM

lol yea it is.
im also looking to do the same sliders with kickout. narrow trails wont be a problem as our runners are already pretty narrow and with the kickout the total width cant be wider than a stock fj cruiser or taco. plus it can be used as a step to access the roof if you have a roof rack

Hey Toyo... Sorry, didn't refresh before I posted again, lol.

Anyway, yeah, I KNEW it was him... guess I shoulda figured a newb like me to Marlin wouldn't get far fast, anyhow, lol.. Not sure how to put a picture up there, how to look at CP or their version anyway... But thanks for posting that, Toyo, .....didn't have to, very cool of ya!

PS> Yeah, ... I'm really kind of excited to do a rack that's NICE! I've seen some nice ones on here, ..... even some squared ones made from scratch, etc... But I want an extendable one, ya know? Maybe one I can put 2 separate caps on... so I can have a REALLY short basket or really long one! lol. I think that's gonna take a lotta fabbin, lol. We'll see. Can't hurt to ask that guy, right?

BTW, am I reading it wrong on the sliders at 4xinnovations.com... isn't it 160$ a pair???? Or is it each? lol. Seems like a pretty good deal type place... I wouldn't think 320 for sliders, but I'm probably making an ass of myself right now, and they ARE actually 320$ pair! lol.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:00 PM

iirc they are 160 a pair but ya never know i could be mistaken to

The pics of em finished chef and the sec one is were she sits after all adjusted em
Old 08-20-2011, 08:01 PM

yep. it looks like 160 for a pair. only reason its alittle cheaper is because its only made in HREW steel. you can pay more for DOM but i will settle for HREW steel because i dont plan on using them much lol

too post pix u need to click on the img icon than u can insert ur image link

Last edited by ToyoTech559; 08-20-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:13 PM

Hey toyotech my pics showed up on my computer and thats exactly what i did through photobucket.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:25 PM

chef wasnt sure how to post pix on marlins forum. its a little different than this site so i was trying to help. i dont go on there much other than for sale area. i was told to join as the guys are much nicer than pirate 4x4 but i was wrong. still a few jerks and i dont really need to deal with. even tho most of them are local to me i just wheel alone and guys i find on yotatech. this have been the best yota forum i been on and what im used too.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:30 PM

Oh LOL i even went bak up the page looking if someone else ask how before i posted gues i missed that sorry. And i havn't even been on another yota forum ive found every peice of info ive ever need right here plus like you said ive heard all those other sites the people are rude
Old 08-20-2011, 08:52 PM

Hey guys, thanks, ....and funny! lol. Thanks for the info, Toyo..... I'ma checkitout!

Far as on here, MUCH better vibe! I like T4R and a couple others....but NO TRAFFIC! You'd wait a year for a "FINAL ANSWER"/"SOLUTION" hahaha.

Far as the classifieds.... meh.... even on here, GEEESH, ... Guys post stuff, and then don't come back for weeks in some cases? lol. I just don't have time to check every day, all through the day, to catch things first...

Might have a line on a "PERFECTLY OPERATING TRANS WITH 121k ON IT" !!!! lol. We'll see! No longer get my hopes up... and if I can get a used trans, great shape, locally... 150$???? yeah, sounds good to me, and NO CORE! ya know? That means I can swap out parts and rebuild my own, use my marlin stuffs, seals, my bearings are PERFECT in mine..... etc., ya know? We'll see... But to find a W56 is hard, only cuz THEY GO TOO FAST! lol.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:53 PM

yep. it looks like 160 for a pair. only reason its alittle cheaper is because its only made in HREW steel. you can pay more for DOM but i will settle for HREW steel because i dont plan on using them much lol

too post pix u need to click on the img icon than u can insert ur image link
Oops... Just saw this.. Ok, so they're NOT DOM? I thought it said that.... Bummer. I mean, for 40$ more, isn't it worth it? I wanna do it ONCE, then powdercoat em and be DONE, STUVO, FINI! lol.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread