86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Just getting caught up on the 2 1/2 pages that I missed out while gone. Glad you got to see family, those times go fast and looks like you had a great time. Thats always nice.

Nothing like a long trip like that to put confidence in your work and to know it is what you did that got you there. That where the satisfaction really kicks in again, and then you had AC, Im jealous. I have ran that part of 40 and this time of year is a really good test.

I was looking for some good pics of your Zuk Mod and as I was catching up on your thread, there it was. Appreciate the pics.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No way dude you mean you've never dropped to 3rd on the cajone? Not even with the AC on? Teaach meeee
Old 08-15-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by baddest94
Hey chef they thing is flexn great hope mine does the same. I got my driverside bj spacer in last nite didnt have time to finish it today so its going to be thrus b4 i can get to the other. As far as being diffcult it was really that bad. Me and my buddy pulled the whole spindle with drive shaft brakes and everything attached just set it on a block of wood to the side. just doing the one side i can tell a big diff cant cait to get it finished. The more pics i see of your rig just makes me wana go buy one just like it LOL
You'll get it, and you'll love it. Very practical lift without much mutilation... and the PRICE! DAYUM! lol. Ended up doing my entire IFS restore, much of it OEM, then Downey Mega Travel Ball Joints, the CA and other bushings and their install(free pretty much, the install that is).... OMEmu Shocks, Stabilizer and Zuks, Diff Drop kit,.... All under 900$.... over time, of course... but ended up doing all the WORK, fairly close together, lol. BTW, thanks a lot for the compliments, man.... I've worked pretty hard on it, but not as much as some I suppose... so I'm grateful Plus, I'm really grateful I don't have to deal with the rust factor as much... Feel bad for guys who do!
Originally Posted by jason in tn
Nice flex shots mark, really glad to see you just enjoying that thing, after all the work you've put in it you deserve it.
Hahaha.. .thanks, Jason... And, I could have stuffed/drooped it more... like I said, just ran out of tree! hahaha. Anyway, yeah, it was great, my time out there! Always is! thanks on the 'deserve to enjoy it' portion I appreciate that, too! it's really rewarding driving something you've mostly built, from the ground up so far, ya know?

Originally Posted by Zumer
I was thinking the exact same thing.....Your rig looks great, too...
Thanks, man! Yours will as well, can't wait till you sling up a thread!

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Just getting caught up on the 2 1/2 pages that I missed out while gone. Glad you got to see family, those times go fast and looks like you had a great time. Thats always nice.

Nothing like a long trip like that to put confidence in your work and to know it is what you did that got you there. That where the satisfaction really kicks in again, and then you had AC, Im jealous. I have ran that part of 40 and this time of year is a really good test.

I was looking for some good pics of your Zuk Mod and as I was catching up on your thread, there it was. Appreciate the pics.
AWESOME, glad you're back safe, man! yeah, the trip DID build confidence... And basically, bud.... IT PURRRS! Not only that, but NO leaks..... NO super loud ticking..... NO things breaking, etc.... I'm REALLY happy and grateful, Terry,...trust me! Yeah, the 40 is NASTY at points... but I've been on worse..... like the 14HWY and the 395Fwy in parts, on the way to the Sierras? OMGOSH! CRAZZZY hills and sometimes, .... equally hot! Plus, at 5500ft large portions of the way! hahaha. Far as the Zuk pic, lol.... yeah, I wanted to demonstrate more, but I'm having trouble around here, ...and on the Havasu trip, the memory card got filled up, as I said in the video.... then, I emptied it.... but never went back out after that GRRR lol... Oh well, I'll get better ones, even.. promise. (PS> Might go with the 14"x100#, after all. UNLESS they would limit stuff............. I think they would increase travel as they're 2" longer, equaling maybe 1.25" of lift more? Hmmmm, have to think that one out! lol.

Originally Posted by blakefogt
No way dude you mean you've never dropped to 3rd on the cajone? Not even with the AC on? Teaach meeee
NOPE! lol. OH, teach you, sure, ....just answering "nope" to the "no 3rd?" .... Yeah, it was SHOCKING! Never had a toy with a 22re, out of 6 iv'e owned, be able to do that hill even CONSISTENTLY/50-50% in 4th, let alone much of it in 5th!!!You're RIGHT, ... almost always spent 5 miles or more in 3rd, WHINING, at 40-45mph! And SOME TIMES.... even would start to slow down below 40... then pick back up thank God, but GEEESH! lol. But my mildly, self built 22re?? She did great!And with the AIR ON? I KNOW! lol. Seriously, that's plenty for me, so any swaps, etc., are pointless for me, any longer.... Just need to repeat the same build-components, machining.... and I know what they can give me. Heck, .... I might be helping a buddy out with his 91 Pick up... .IT'S SUPER CLEAN, lil lowered(Just like an inch).... and it needs a rebuild.... He asked, "Can I get a lil more on the hills out of it?".... and we both know, Pick ups do much better on the hills, passing, etc., because they're LIGHTER, better mileage, etc, too! So when he's ready, we'll do a Head Rebuild Special, 261 Cam, Header, clean everything LIKE CRAZY, ..... the right rings, pistons, crank work, clutch kit, .... he'll be good to go for another.... You ready for this? ....... 428,000 MILES! I know, .... I can't believe the bottom end has never been rebuilt... it's insane! But it's his from original!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:40 PM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
hello my friend, checkin in and catchin up. rig's lookin beautiful as ever!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:47 PM

you're a beast man. I'm such a gear head, I'm always hoping in the back of my head something goes out so i can add a little more oomph to it.. damn reliable 22res :p my bugs never had a problem giving me opportunities to upgrade..
Seriously though man, your engine, and all other technical aspects are inspirational. Everytime I see your thread I have an urge to pull the Valve Cover just to paint something.. or swap out some vacuum lines that are getting hard/ cracked.
Do you really think a slightly bored TB will mess with my emissions? I plan to buy a brand new cat.. along with my exhaust.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:08 PM

Did another set of cell phone flex shots, today, on a rock around 18" or so..... Figured out why the front tires wont stuff.... THE SHOCKS bottom out, so I think it's too much resistance of the upper arm/torsion bars that's keeping it from stuffing further up in there. It's not the Bj's, they STILL HAVE ROOM, those Mega Travels! I might be missing something other than the shocks(fill me in all you want, I'm not proud! Lol).... Here's some pics, lil moreeeeee example of the Zuks and they're capability of 'stuffing'/'drooping' without drama or coils coming out.... Plus all 4 are planted(tires) and even the front, with it up pretty decent, driver side tire is almost FULLY still on the ground... All the tread is anyhow...just a lil angle. BTW, it's pretty level in the cab/body, too.... I TOTALLY see the difference in the IFS Mod's/restore/Zuks! >>>>

Whatcha guys think? if I can get the shock set up just right(with the OMEmu fronts that came in the mail... maybe they have a lil longer travel?)... I think I can maximize travel without any issue. The CV's didn't lock up at all at this angle(I'll get MUCH better pics than this with front and rear flexing in opposite directions, etc., asap... Just working with what I got, sorry guys ) ... And the pics will be of CV angles, Upper Mega Travel Ball Joint Travel compared to stock of my buddies(we're working it out on a time, lol).... and Shock travel/stop limits, etc. I hope this helps someone in some way.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:11 PM

Lookin good Chef!! I love your rig its soo clean.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by de6w6it
hello my friend, checkin in and catchin up. rig's lookin beautiful as ever!
GREAT to hear from ya, man.. Yer a good dude! lol

you're a beast man. I'm such a gear head, I'm always hoping in the back of my head something goes out so i can add a little more oomph to it.. damn reliable 22res :p my bugs never had a problem giving me opportunities to upgrade..
Seriously though man, your engine, and all other technical aspects are inspirational. Everytime I see your thread I have an urge to pull the Valve Cover just to paint something.. or swap out some vacuum lines that are getting hard/ cracked.
Do you really think a slightly bored TB will mess with my emissions? I plan to buy a brand new cat.. along with my exhaust.
I would just ask LCE... they'll tell ya EXACTLY what they get-gains/lose-emissions, etc., etc. I think it's when they start to really port the head, etc., 2MM oversized valves, special pistons and even 20R head swaps, etc., ... that's the stuff "FAIL" at the smog stations are made up of!(AT LEAST IN CALIF! lol) Again, I would ask them as well, "Am I gonna REALLY gain a noticeable difference with just a Big Bore and header... or do you have the real gains you can feel POP when you add the ported head, etc.?" Also ask around.... not that I don't 'trust' LCE, but they're job is to SELL stuff, man, ya know? Ask Putney's, etc., ....they'll straight out answer you with the truth(as they perceive/experienced it) without a single hard sale tactic... Even DOA, whom many don't seem to like(I think he's "TIM"?)... has a great reputation on the race track. Ask Ted of engnbldr, who told me, "Yeah... well, I don't get into the gossip, it kills biz of guys like us, often undeserved... What I do know is that HE OFTEN WINS on the tracks/coarse with his strokers, etc.!"... Something to that effect. My point is.... THOSE GUYS UNDERSTAND "legitimate gains/loss/price etc., therein" a lot more than myself. I would have to agree with the "Supra AFM", "Larger Air Pipe/or/battery-intake swap".... but much of that can come with complications... mainly only if you're not thorough and tidy, ya know? And even then, ... if I was gonna do all that stuff(can be pricey), and IF i wanted something out of a 22re that's gonna 'PASS ME ON THE CAHON PASS!" lol.... Then I'd talk to the guys that know how to push the limits til it just barely passes smog(and also tell you how to adjust it/tame it down for smog inspection, ya know?)

Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
Lookin good Chef!! I love your rig its soo clean.
Thanks, so much, Zach! Watching with great anticipation on yours... You got some nail biting stuff going on as well as 'COOL' stuff, lol. (the grill, etc.)... Can't wait!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-15-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:28 PM

I got you man. Thanks for the wise words.. and we're gonna race on the pass one of these days.. I live like.. 6-7 miles from the 210/15 freeway.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think if you disconnect your sway bar and go try again. it should travel more. but than again you said the shocks are bottoming out? some they are fully compressed. if so you cant stuff it any more than
Old 08-15-2011, 04:34 PM

I got you man. Thanks for the wise words.. and we're gonna race on the pass one of these days.. I live like.. 6-7 miles from the 210/15 freeway.
DUDE! Seriously.... we WILL DEFINITELY have to meet up, sooner than later....I go RIGHT BY THERE, every time I head out to Pops! I wanna make a Camping/Wheeling trip out of it one time.. You know, like camp a couple nights, wheel a bit, then head out to Havasu! I will def look you up, man!

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
i think if you disconnect your sway bar and go try again. it should travel more. but than again you said the shocks are bottoming out? some they are fully compressed. if so you cant stuff it any more than
Sway bar is gone, ...for a while now. And yeah, the shocks, when up like that, are FOR SURE bottomed out(the ones Anthony Gave me .. You rock, Anthony,.. ) .... Thing is, as you can see, it's up on that side like 6 more inches(literally, as in how far the tire is off the ground) from the shots, yesterday.... Hmmmm. I guess that's the "more travel" bj's? Because if it was truly stopping it's uptravel, completely, wouldn't it be lifting the driver side tire off the ground or at least starting to expose some tread to air?(know what I mean?)
Old 08-15-2011, 04:45 PM

low profile bump stops are next
Old 08-15-2011, 05:32 PM

OMGOSH, DERRRRRRRRRRR! THANK YOU! I can't believe I didn't even think of that, just yet! lol. Oh well, at least I'm not too proud to admit it, eh? lol. I will check/take pics of that, next!

Also, just realized something.................

*** I hooked up my inverter to the Aftermarket 12V Waterproof Input/Lighter style.... 14G wire, to 12V car plug, ....typing on the laptop right now. Fan comes on every 30 seconds or so..... Laptop is staying at 99% charged for 20 minutes now... no warning beeps, red lights, from the inverter..... IT'S DEFINITELY the crappy wiring to the lighter. They were not intended for the charger/inverter stuffs, initially(maybe some peoples work, but not mine). I'ma try a DVD to see if it will work properly and then run it direct to the inverter from the battery/also leave the male/female spades with insulation so I can plug in my waterproof 12v thingy.... and I THINK I'll be in biz! I will test the DVD player, first, then I'll know, ....ya know? lol.

PSS> I have a pair of lower low pro stops.... plenty of shims.... I just need another pair... then I'm in biz! Might have to mess with the upper stop to give a lil more droop... but as you can see, it's drooping pretty good already(bout 45* angle on the CV...Maybe too much more isn't a good idea! lol)
Old 08-15-2011, 05:39 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I used 8awg wire or maybe it was 4awg to a 40amp fuse and then the battery thru 4awg. Haven't tested to see how long the battery will last, my inverter has a 7v cut off so it doesn't drain the battery, but I've never tested that function. I use my cigarette positive to power the 200w constant duty solenoid to a switch under the radio to activate the inverter since it's hidden in the passenger rear panel. Therefore I couldn't tell you when the little fans are powering up.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:05 PM

Gotcha, thanks, RB!

Well, I played about 10 minutes of the Arthur Movie...(not great, but not the point, either, lol)... and it played no problem, with the aux/headphone of the puter plugged into the Amplified Computer/mp3 speaker set up... Sounded good, never beeped or warned me. Now I'll test the battery for voltage, see what it's sucking in 45Min.

Woot, ....after 45 minutes, puter charger plugged in, DVD playing for a while.... 12.33V... YEAH, BOOEY! lol. I will do my best to not shame your beautiful work on that, RB.... but I have to do it a lilllll more 'temporary', for now, just so I can get away, MAYBE, GOD WILLING... this week sometime! Might just spend the night up in the Crest, but first, I might be meeting up with a Yotatechie-Brother! lol.

Thanks alot, man... and I'll be asking you for more specifics... I'm just not really 'learn-ed' at this, just yet! lol. COME A LONG WAY, ..but yeah.... not the brightest bulb in the house in regards to proper electronics set up/wiring/etc. I have 2 inline fuses to install, the second being from just off battery to feed wire. Might install a switch/relay I have, as well... we'll see.

I'm also making an appt. for some time this week for the best alarm I could get, installed, 270$! I think that's pretty good, considering the other shops I called wanted that much for the SAME ALARM....W/OUT INSTALL! LOL. (favor of a friend! THANKS)
Old 08-16-2011, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Knew you had been getting your Auxillary ports working for awhile and seems like they passed the test. Wasnt that long ago you were having all kinds of problems and now they are gone. Great job on all of your accomplishments. Your thread is inspiring.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:06 PM

THANKS, TERRY! .... I'm very GRATEFUL to be 99% problem free and back in 'restore' the 'iffy' stuff's again! lol. OH, yeah, and adding stuff's, too! lol.

Spoke to them about the Trans, today....(bosses).... not sure what to do, as it seems to be working(still grinds from time to time, but it's not NEARLY as bad as it was when breaking in the new motor).... Yet, I still don't have an alarm w/professionally installed kill switch, etc. I don't care about all the goodies, but apparently, the LEAST of the 'BEST' viper systems come with PDlocks and Kill switch, 2 remotes, silent alarm, shock/window and door sensor, 'cut-a-wire/kill' system, .... etc. The best guy around wants 250$ for that, installed. If I had a deck to go in, that would get thrown down at a great discount.... problem is, I'm really ok at installing the deck myself, so that's not appealing for me, lol. I guess I'd be asking for it if I put off the trans.... and it WILL need to get done, eventually, NO WAY AROUND IT..... but MAN it's hard to throw even 550$(GREAT price for a full rebuild) out when it's not that bad..... all the sudden.... out of nowhere! lol. Isn't it like that, ...you get where you can get something done, proper, and yet it stops acting up(as bad)? hahaha. Problem is, ...it COULD, easily, become a problem in the middle of nowhere(right?? lol) Then I'd KICK myself as I clicked on the alarm button and walked down the road 3 miles to get reception on my cell(where I wheel at times, it's BLACK OUT! NO cells work, period!) lol.

Anyway, enough of that,...just ignore my "I'm torn" banter, lol...... for now, I'm just glad yotatech is repaired... I was thinking about starting up a "Yotatech Emergency DT Kit" complete with pictures, a faux blog set up, ....just to hold people over til it comes back up! hahahaha. JK, .... I was busy anyway... but it's funny, it made me think of that thread, "You know you're addicted to Yotatech when>>>>?" hahaha.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:09 PM

Did I just read that you bottomed out my shocks?....
Btw, if you did, the low profiled bumpstop for the up travel ain't gonna do anything.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:15 PM

ANTHONY, WUSUP, HOMIE? LOL. Hope all is going well with your swap! yeah, they appear to be max/compressed... at least on that 18" or so rock. So, ..... Ok, yeah, if the shocks fully compressed, it wont allow the arms to flex any further? ... Cuz the upper shock mount is on the frame, right?
Old 08-17-2011, 03:27 PM

It's kinda hard to tell from the pics...Do it again and look at it carefully. You've added the ball joint spacers which give it another 1/5" away from the top. The shocks are covered with shock boots so it's hard to tell. See if the bumpstop kiss the stop.
To answer your question. The top shock mounts are welded to the frame......I think.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread