86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grommets are for sissys! :p no i just haven't cared yet.. the stock wires are still in from the holes to to receiver so when i put some thicker gauge in, ill do it right.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks guys!

Gotcha on the wiring, location, Blake... So, far as I see, that's a DLX, without the door pockets, right? Mine has the pockets.... and they will NOT be removed. But, I've seen these speakers fit with the bottom 3rd of the speaker actually in the pocket/toward the front half. Either way, I get it. And, I will cut very carefully with a dremmel or something of that sort, when it's time. Hoping to still get the deck, but time is not my friend on this one, and neither are the agents, hahaha. Oh well.... Have to pay some personal debts on here and otherwise, first, ....then I could find some some day, along with a nice deck maybe. (Maybe even used, or some toyota decked out deck that some sound guru doesn't want from the factory in his 2011 Taco or something? lol. We'll see.... And btw..... I have NO LUCK, apparently, with CList..... I try, I check all the time, but I can't even seem to find sliders or stuff like that, just looking for curiosity, ya know? lol)

Dutch, .... I think considering I have the pockets and wing windows, that gives me plenty of a 'hole' there to work with.... did those boxes that guy made go into a truck without the wing windows?
Old 08-12-2011, 04:13 PM

I have no idea what the heck I have -_- but i do have wing windows...
Old 08-12-2011, 04:14 PM

hahaha.... gotcha. Well, yeah, you know of the pockets I'm talking about, right? Door pockets?
Old 08-12-2011, 04:49 PM

yes sir my dads had all those goodies.. and like a double decker center console.. pockets in the back for me to keep my hotwheels in... the works.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:03 PM

hey chef if your looking for any armor i have a really sick website, were i got my bumper and motor mounts from i was gonna pm it to you but what the hay ill share it with the yotatech buddies. they are 160 dollars and you can have kickout, no kickout, and there is also stronger ones. but id definately check the site out, they have insane roll cages and tube doors too. 4xinnovations.com

also wabfab might have some right?

Last edited by bm87runner; 08-12-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:26 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Mark run your speaker wires thru you jam with the other wires. I can't remember if you have an electric in those doors. If not drill a hole in the jam and then a fee inches lower drill the door. This will keep the wires from kinking.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:42 AM

Thanks, guys...

Brandon, ...yeah, that's the site Brian used(swimmerboy).... i believe, for the rear one. He just got an ARB front, so we know where that's from, lol. I plan to get some undercarriage armor and maybe on the diffs as well. My neighbor is GREAT at metallurgy type stuffs! lol. He just never has time, ...which I TOTALLY get! lol. My list is basically

1. I would like a rear bumper like "IronBuilt" or something like that.... Like an interesting twist on the ARB(lil bit of angles, etc.)....

2. Sliders(I'd just buy them used, ...but no one seems to pull them off and sell separately when they sell.... Guess it's more common to sell with it on for a selling point factor?

3. Front Bumper.... I just can't decide...... to be honest, I REALLY don't want a stinger at all. Maybe just a hump like this one has, solely for the lighting mounts? But I know, the stinger is practical on all the inclines, for trees, etc. So it'd probably be one just like that "Gunmetal Gray Lovely" on the last page! GRRR! lol. EXCEPT... not gonna get one with a stinger that long/tall. (BTW, .... I have to say, it REALLY makes working on the motor a PITA!... Yes, even my lil stinger on my brush guard does!)

4. Diff's and front IFS stuff's armor, T-case, etc.

5. I'd LOVE to do an SAS, but just can't justify it after all the work I've done up there. I'd rather do it to a project truck, anyhow.... or just find an 85 w/out motor, etc. Ya know?

6. Stereo/Alarm/6.5" 's.... But I'm fine with the 6x9's.... not gonna do a box, ...just no room. MAYBE a bazooka I can move around? They still make those?

7. I want a Bikini! I would love to make one....but to have a fitted/pre-cut, etc. one from WabFab would be best. Yet, ...once again, can't do the bikini til the alarm is in, ya know? (especially since this is L.A. and also because of my floating 6x9's... They'd float right into someones 8 color corolla at the home depot,...ya know what I'm sayin? hahaha)

8. I really would like a roof rack...... it's just something that would be so practical for my "Bear Camping" and otherwise camping, ....along with the wheeling I'll be doing in the sierras and sequoias. I want something REALLY nice and original.... have some ideas......... but again, MY NEIGHBOR! lol. If I get the design set up,...he'll figure it out for me. I actually want the option of a type of 'cage'.... know what I mean? So I can lock stuff's up on there, but remove it if I don't need it and just fill it with stuff in the back. Yes, it would take some mileage, .....but the way I have planned/hope to figure out, ....I could remove it pretty easily.

9. Oh, and a Hi-Lift.... mine got stolen

Anyway, I have to have priorities by necessity..... so, ....

1. Alarm!
2. Hi-Lift!
3. Trans!

Probably all I can afford, once I get paid on all that INSANE-hard hillside work!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by RBX
Mark run your speaker wires thru you jam with the other wires. I can't remember if you have an electric in those doors. If not drill a hole in the jam and then a fee inches lower drill the door. This will keep the wires from kinking.

Ooops.... lol. I got so distracted by all the crap I can't have right now...forgot to answer you ....sorry man! lol.

YES, I have electric windows, locks, etc. on my doors. Just that the wiring is a WAD there, geeesh! lol. I think I can find room though, and I already have hundreds of grommets, shrink wrap, etc.

BTW, my rig, even with the header/borla is REALLY pretty quiet..... But I think I might go a step beyond even "sound padding".... I want it SEALED! LOL. WIMean is,..... Often, I camp near hot springs in the middle of winter, snow all around(YES, I'M NUTS, I KNOW.... hehehe...actually, it's REALLY beautiful and great for my photography/hobby). Anyway.... The truck is PLENTY warm, being insulated... but the floor? IT SWEATS by chemical reaction/condensation due to my body heat/20* to 0*F weather at night. (not always that cold....but I like to be prepared). I can often just pad it up with stuff....but the problem is, it's seeping through the carpet and padding.... so it's gonna mold if I don't air it out well, etc., ya know? I thought maybe a thick layer of that roll on rubber stuff, THEN sound padding.....whatcha think?
Old 08-13-2011, 10:57 AM

Just now checkin in. Been busy lol. Pics and vids look great!! Definitly looked like a good time. I wish we could do that when we visit with family (were one of those high agro families, but we still have fun most of the time).
Old 08-13-2011, 02:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
you have enough projects that could use a welder and a bender..
Bumpers, sliders, Rack.....

Buy tools and and FAB em!
Old 08-13-2011, 03:32 PM

Hey Zach, .... yeah, I hear ya. I have SOME of 'those' within the family that just 'grind' against most people.... instead of 'flowing!' ya know? lol.

Hey outsane.... Yeah, I'd love to... not saying I wouldn't, but my neighbor is a really good welder/fab guy... I will learn from him as we go....WHEN he has time, that is, lol. I'd love to make the bumpers.... but man, they're so reasonably priced for 'SLAP IT IN' FIT! lol. I have some ideas though... I'll continue to think until I can actually afford to do more.

Hows life in SD?
Old 08-13-2011, 06:27 PM

just a little product report, I took my truck down a heavy step and landed hard where the right tail light is.. bent the bumper slightly but no damage to the truck.. took the truck to my friends body shop, pulled the bumper about an inch to straighten it.. good as new.
Trail Gear is, as the name implies, built for the trail.

oh and you know you want your truck to look as pissed off as mine with my manly non compensatingly large stinger :p
Old 08-13-2011, 08:11 PM

chef I'm reading you're build up like a story with the issue with the injector and all..
Did you end up getting the big bore throttle body? should I? :p
Old 08-13-2011, 09:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hard to beat life in San Diego
Old 08-13-2011, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i too want an arb style rear bumper but no one makes them for our runners. i already plan on doing an arb front so the rear needs to be plated. i dont like the long sting at all. its more leverage for whatever you gonna hit do bend the rest of the bumper imo. the little hump like what you have would look better if you go with a tubed bumper
Old 08-14-2011, 06:16 PM

Took some shots, today, up on a tree stump around 12" or so, pretty level on the body, even though the rear was pretty much the same clearance....

Got a couple more from the phone.... This one was SO CLEAN, she will be joining Yotatech, soon! I hope, anyhow.... cuz she really was into it, getting it restored properly, etc..... Has some questions on a couple mods she wants to do, etc., ...but anyway, bad pic, but trust me, it was SPOTLESS, inside and out.... just too dark out at the time for MY cellie, anyway! lol.....

Then, I got to talk to this guy>>> He's made it 4wd and put a newer engine in it, trying to find a proper lift, etc.... but it sounded wicked! lol. Actually, I wanted to talk more(it was in traffic), but he had to get off the freeway, ... oh well, here it is, hahaha>>>>

Toyotech,.... I YEAR YA! I love those Iron Bull ones! Maybe you could MAKE one fit,....no? I'm sure you could fab something, you're pretty good at lotsa stuff! lol.

Outsane,.... might be in Carlsbad, soon, .... HOPEFULLY, lol. I wanna hit El Toro or something down there, while visiting/watching my sisters pad!

Blake.... No, I didn't get the Big Bore TBody.... Could NOT justify it at the time considering I went totally stock, first time, with the motor/head. Even now, ...300$???? Yeah, not gonna happen. Mine get's me up the cahon pass, in a 22re, minimal mods, 65-75Mph, AC on! S'all I need, ...and with the gears and locker, it's gonna wheel just fine! I just have too many other things I'd rather do, ya know? As far as you doing it? Well, if you're going more "Stroker" style, with special pistons, Big Over Sized Stainless Valves, Ported Polished Intake, Ported Polished Head, etc., .... then FOR SURE! If not, I'm sure it might still 'add' something.... But for 300$? I'll add a nice Deck first, after the Trans, Hi-Lift, Sliders, etc.! lol. BTW, some of those Hypo motors.... even at engnbldr.... they tell ya, right on the page, "This IS NOT guaranteed to pass smog.... So don't even ask". lol.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:21 PM

Hey chef they thing is flexn great hope mine does the same. I got my driverside bj spacer in last nite didnt have time to finish it today so its going to be thrus b4 i can get to the other. As far as being diffcult it was really that bad. Me and my buddy pulled the whole spindle with drive shaft brakes and everything attached just set it on a block of wood to the side. just doing the one side i can tell a big diff cant cait to get it finished. The more pics i see of your rig just makes me wana go buy one just like it LOL
Old 08-14-2011, 07:23 PM

Nice flex shots mark, really glad to see you just enjoying that thing, after all the work you've put in it you deserve it.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Nice flex shots mark, really glad to see you just enjoying that thing, after all the work you've put in it you deserve it.

I was thinking the exact same thing.....Your rig looks great, too...

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread