86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 04:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey guys, hope all is well with ya'all!

Just drove in the driveway about 3:30PM..... then unpacked..... then realized it's only 85*F here, but I was INSTANTLY sweating FAR more than there, even spending a few days in and out of the sun....... at....... 118*F!!!! hahaha!

Anyway, pops is doing 'ok'..... I'll elaborate more, later, as I HAVE to get something to eat, soon! lol. I got some pretty good pics and actually wheeled it on Body Beach and other places, ..........

IT PERFORMED FLAWLESSLY! I will also elaborate on that, as well. For now, I'll let the video's upload and go get some grub.

I sure hope no one was waiting on answers from me on anything with their own rigs...but Family had to take the front seat with no interruptions, especially with my daughter and her fiance along for the trip, ya know? I don't think I logged on but once, and never really had time to do so afterwards.

I'll be back later, and thanks a LOT for the well wishing and traveling mercies!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:48 PM

Just thought i'd post a couple pics. I have to run, but I'm having trouble with my youtube uploads. I have several videos, but it's only loading one and then shutting down, then one, then shutting down.....don't have time for that. I'ma check and see what I have so far, but for now, GREAT TRIP! >>>

Me and Pops>>>

Me and my Step Mom, Susie>>>

My Oldest Daughter and her Fiance>>>

My Oldest, Kayla, and her Grampa>>>

Kayla and her Cousin(My nephew Mikey)>>>

Kayla and my Bro-n-Law Rob >>>

Love this shot..... it's a keeper/wall shot! lol>>>

Here's Mikey, my nephew, chilling in our spot we found on a side road that leads to Lake Havasu Beaches..... Got the truck in the shot, too, hahaha.>>>

Some shots from the beach looking outward>>>

To our left>>

To the Center>>>

To our right>>>

Then, did a couple video's of how she did on the road out there. This one is a pretty nasty/long grade between Ludlow and Needles, CA(JasonTN probably knows which one I'm speaking of, on the 40E? lol). It was 115*, not 110* like I'd guessed, and the rig did 70-75 in 5th gear, wanting more, with the A/C on!.... Can't put in words how rewarding it is......to build one of these rigs from front to back, use the locker and gears you've put in, break in a fresh rebuild, try out the IFS after restore...(for those who might be contemplating tackling one of these motors for the first time)("From front to back">>>for the most part...hahaha...still plenty to do if I wanna be anal, lol).....(OH, and ignore the "concerned about the air" part..... I accidentally had bumped the lil Blue AC button, lol..... it's ice cold still! )

Then, we wheeled all the way through some pretty crazy stuff to get to this beach in the video. I wanted to take him somewhere that wasn't a tourist trap, and wheel a bit(it was his first time wheeling, ever. I would have gone more nuts, but I couldn't risk getting stuck too badly or rolling or anything with him in the truck, lol). I THOUGHT I had more video(which you'll hear Mikey Mention)..... but he wasn't pressing record. Then, when he did, it got left on and used up all the memory, so I had to delete some.... Anyway, this video and the next one are of the beach we found and then cruising out of there. The hills, up and down, were quite a bit more nasty where we'd been, earlier, ...but by the time I figured out the mess up with the CAM, ...too late to go all the way back there, lol. Oh well, next time... still was a lot of fun, and the truck drove GREAT! Never lost traction on some pretty "flex-needed" stuff, ya know? >>>(OH< yeah, ...ps> Excuse my language at one point. lol.....slipped out lol)

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-09-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear you made it home safe buddy, more important looks like you had another good visit that's great.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:31 PM

Thanks, very much, Jason!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:43 AM

Nothing like FAMILY time.....

Glad to hear the trip was flawless.....

Last edited by Zumer; 08-10-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:30 PM

Yeah, no kiddind, eh? Thanks, Zumer, ....it's tough seeing loved ones fall apart, but I hope those I love come to see me when it's my turn to decline a bit in health(age!).

I hope some of my homies here enjoy the pics and video... I'll post them in the Post your pics thread, I suppose...but wanted to here, first, ya know? lol.

Far as what's next....well, I HAVE TO get an alarm... I've already done something that I'll share in private with those whom I know....(sorry, just ran into too many people now, just in the South Bay, who say, "Hey, you're Chefyota? YEAH, I knew I saw that thing somewhere!" hahahah... ) So yeah, ...time to be careful, ya know?

But what I wanted to ask......

*** Does anyone have 6.5"ers in their doors? I have wing windows, ...so they're work, I'm told....and someone might be giving me some Boston acoustics with the separate tweeters. (can't afford to actually buy anything, but why not install them if they're free, right? lol) Might also get a deck on an insurance thing from the same person, ...the insurance people don't want it back even though it was recovered at a pawn shop. So the guy MIGHT let me have it, a 4" x 6"(?) touch deck with everything, ya know? I would love to have that. Anyway, anyone tell me how to wire them 6.5"ers up easily? Don't I just run it throught the grommet in the door/body?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:38 PM

And THAT is what wheelin is all about! Friends, Family, the outdoors, a good 4x4 and good memories! Looks like a fun time chef!
Old 08-11-2011, 01:50 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
hey man...great pics. always love your down-to-earth family times you post. glad the truck is running well. 6x9's....not so sure....just had a door apart on mine and I'm not so sure that would fit....the fact that you have wing windows means the door is different than mine.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:24 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
That's good stuff chef. I'm jealous you can fit some wheeling in when you visit family.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:47 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
wonder if my 77yr old mom would like to go wheeling...never asked her. although her 4 foot 7 body had a bit of trouble getting in Joe's runner a few day ago.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to hear you had a good trip. You didn't get stuck? What kind of wheeling is that?...
Old 08-11-2011, 12:34 PM

hahahah, ... hey guys!

Yeah, .... Jerry, ... I was talking about 6.5" speakers. People usually put them toward the front of and behind the inside of the door map holders(whatever they're called).... 6x9, yeah, I think that would be a bit much. But I see guys putting in the 6.5" round 3ways all the time. Just wondered if anyone had a simple write up on it. I'm ok with stereo stuff, so I'll get it, I'm sure... but Just don't wanna cut up the doors too bad, ya know? lol. Far as the wheeling with gramma, .... Hmmmm, that could be interesting! lol. My stepmom SCREAMS like a banshee on the mildest stuff! lol.

Anthony, ..... yer so crazy! lol. Those shocks worked GREAT! Took some pretty brutal mogul climbs like a caddy! THANKS SO MUCH! As far as "didn't get stuck?" .... yeah, not on a solo vehicle mission with the nephew in 117*F weather, buddy, ...sorry! hahahaha.

RBX, .... come with me some time! lol. Then you can visit A family and wheel on the same trip! haha. OH, and you could also use the Supercharged 1300 SeaDoo when we're done rebuilding the Supercharger(hey, that makes me think.... wanna help rebuild it? hahaha) Jk, my Brother will get it before I'm back, most likely... Just the way timing works out, as I can't come back every weekend, and he works on weekends like me. Meh,...oh well. IT WILL GET FIXED! and THANKS for stopping in, man! LOVE your Twin Rig! lol. Ok, yours has lots more doodats and a V6... but it's similar, eh? hahaha.

Moze, thanks man! Loving the LT BEAST! Hoping we get to hang out before you ship out man!
Old 08-11-2011, 12:35 PM

hey man, those videos are awesome glad to hear you had a great time and got home safe, and to be the first person to take your nephew wheelin so your gonna put an alarm in your rig huh? do you have power windows? and as far as the speaker in the door, i have wing windows to and instead of the cheesy 4" speakers in the front and i asked what i can do, and the entire space from where the wing and normal window meet all the way towards the fuse box by your feet should be able to fit alot of speaker sizes. if we didnt have wing windows we would be kinda screwed. and private huh? its getting that crazy that people are noticing your rig man? sorry to hear. lock that truck up in a garage every night
Old 08-11-2011, 12:40 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Mark,
I'll Definitly look you up when I head west for a trip. I have some friends in the boulder co area we, wife and I, want to visit. Would be great to make it to the left coast.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:48 PM

Hey Brandon, ...I DO LOCK IT UP! I have been scared to drive around with the top off as well.... .But as a morsel, I will just say, I have a kill switch that is unbeatable. THAT'S ALL I'M SAYING! HAHAHA. ONly thing is, .... I had one in my 89 PU from hell(thing was SICK!) ...and some guy just came along with a flatbed tow truck and yoinked it up on there, drove away and stripped it pretty good! BASTARDOS! LOL. If it'd had an alarm, it might have made them stop, as it was in a busy area(I KNOW< balzy dudes, right? lol). I know a guy who locks up his axle when camping, TO THE WHEEL! lol. He also has wheel locks, which I also have to obtain!

Far as the speakers.... I'm talking about in the pocket in the door, ya know? I don't like the idea of on the floor, as , well, in the door, when I open it, the sound will travel better when camping, etc. My 6x9's are in the back seat area in boxes on 6' of monster cable. I put them on the tailgate or roof or whatever I want when camping. I'm trying to figure out how I can hook up my laptop to a stereo and hear the audio of the movie through the speakers.

I'm also trying to design a sealable method for my gazebo that I can fasten to the back of my rig while camping....that way I can have MOSQUITO FREE EVENINGS WITH TUNES AND MOVIES AND NO MOTHS ON THE SCREEN! HAHAHA. I'm also going to use a junk yard battery I got a while back as a encapsulated power source for my second, larger inverter. IT WILL BE AWESOME! hahaha.

I will update and start specific portions on my 'things' I wanna do. Glad you liked the pics and stuff!

Hey RB AWESOME! Definitely look me up if you do!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:22 PM

hey man, I like to think of myself as quite in tune..get it? :p with audio in vehicles.. would you like to see a pic of my 6.5s in my door? or the wiring? It was done by the PO, and I don't mind it except he wasn't very graceful when cutting the doorpanels...

For your laptop concern.. find a headunit with an auxilary port, take an aux cable, and go from headphones to the aux input on your headunit.. easy peasy lemon....whatever you get it.

anyways.. I didnt wanna just go posting pics all over your build thread so... let me know where you want em.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:42 PM

No, that's fine, post away, Blake!

Oh, btw, .... I HATE YOU AND YOUR BEAUTIFUL CHARCOAL LOVELY! hahahaha. JK, .... mostly, lol.

But seriously.... LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE your rig now, man.... already liked it, but that is the EXACT set up I would like to one day afford/have! lol. Looking still for sliders on CL, ...grrr! Dang idiots asking like 200$????? Aren't they like 210$ NEW? LOL. Want that rear bumper eventually as well... but just have some debts and a tranny to deal with first! lol.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:12 PM

Hey chef glad you had a great time with the family love the pics a video. Looks like the locker was a great help in the sand. I got an appointment for my exhaust cant wait woot lol ill get pics up as soon as its done.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
No, that's fine, post away, Blake!

Oh, btw, .... I HATE YOU AND YOUR BEAUTIFUL CHARCOAL LOVELY! hahahaha. JK, .... mostly, lol.

But seriously.... LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE your rig now, man.... already liked it, but that is the EXACT set up I would like to one day afford/have! lol. Looking still for sliders on CL, ...grrr! Dang idiots asking like 200$????? Aren't they like 210$ NEW? LOL. Want that rear bumper eventually as well... but just have some debts and a tranny to deal with first! lol.
Ahaha well thanks She's my daily driver.. And I couldn't ask for more... figuratively speaking :p If you see my first post, the things you want were already on my truck when I got it :p
It was a steal.. anyway.. heres my cheap speakers that the po installed... I'll replace them with alpine type-rs eventually.

The wires coming out of the bottom hole are for the keyless entry (door locks)

as you can tell.. MR Previous owner was unfamiliar with heatshrink.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:46 PM

You should probably see if you can get some grommets for where those wires pass through the metal, Blake.

Also Chef: If your head unit has no aux in port you can probably get away with one of those fm transmitters to plug into your laptop and play it over your radio. They're not as dependable as actual wiring, but they work in a pinch. If you do decide you are going to put speakers in your doors you might find that you need to put in spacers to allow for clearance for the magnet/voice coils. The po of my truck put these custom boxes on the doors, and I'm hoping I'll be able to do something similar for my project truck:

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread