86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 12:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
OH, and ps>

Question; With the T-bars fully relaxed, don't our shocks travel downward/compress a lil. When I had the torsion bars cranked, the front end came up off the tire, more and more, and wouldn't that automatically 'raise/extend' the shock??? Thus, with the t-bars relaxed, the shocks, being too long to begin with as I stated in the last post, have NO WAY to 'soften the blow',...thus, the whole rig is just riding on the t-bars.

NOW, WITH THE RIGHT SHOCKS,.... RIDE SHOULD BE REALLY NICE AND PRACTICAL!

ONLY WORRY: I have my orig. shocks I took out(no way to know how old they are)...... but I don't think I have the boots for the eyes! GRRR. Not sure but I don't think the OME ones will work!!! GRRR.

PSS> Now that I think about it.... i think once i get these shocks out, the truck will drop even more! I mean, if THEY are what's holding it up at full relax, sitting in the drive... and I've relaxed them 12 turns!!!??? ....I think YOU'RE TOTALLY CORRECT, Lumpy, at least in part, as to why I feel all the bounce. Those springs have NOTHING ASSISTING to soften anything!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-25-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:07 PM

Ok, I decided, for now, to leave these in till my new ones come.

Problems;

1. I destroyed the bushings for the eye/pivot on the lower end of the originals..... had to, to get the rod out.
2. I really don't feel like changing out the front shocks 2 MORE TIMES! lol.

I've put it at 4 turns out(softer) from where it was, originally(by turning them back tight 4 turns). The bounce seems to be gone, but equally important, I don't wanna damage these shocks, regardless of them being the wrong ones. SOMEONE can use them. Heck, maybe Jason for his Wife's 3rd gen? lol. We'll see, whatever, but I CAN NOT see taking them out now, when I have very lil driving to do over the next few days, as being 'crucial'

What I DO NOT like is that, when I turned the lower nut on the t-bar adjustment,.... the thing appears bent. The top of the bolt was pointing 10* off from straight. I can't see that being anything but 'bad t-bar adjustment bolt'. This is on the pass. side, and that side IS harder to turn than the driver side, much harder. But, it did adjust BACK to where it was, minus 4 turns(.75" of height).

Gonna drive it around the block, see if ENOUGH of the bounce is gone that I don't feel I'ma kill sumpn! lol..

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-25-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are your 96 up shocks for any lift or just stock length?
Old 07-25-2011, 01:40 PM

Glad to see you found the prob with the shocks chef that sux they sent you the wrong ones just cause someone was to lazy to go over to the computer and hit a few keys. Hope everything gets straighted out whenm the news ones arrive.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:02 PM

chef put those tbars back where they were truck looked great
Old 07-25-2011, 04:10 PM

First off, just wanna THANK BRANDON! Appreciate you're OFTEN lending of 2cents here and there to me.... I probably have 10$ worth of that from ya by now! lol. Wrong or right, you most often preclude that "this is not certain, but..." and share the "NOPE, THAT'S WRONG" when it IS certain as well. In this case, you jumped on it pretty quickly, which I appreciate, being one of those who has aneurisms when things aren't at least MILDLY 'right', lol.... and also, you said, "I think more and more them shocks are DUN-DU-DUN-DUN-DUNNNNNNNNNN", LOL...ok, you didn't say THAT, exactly, but you know what I mean. haha. That, right there, led me to just LOOK AT THE FREAKIN BOXES! Helped me get there! (of course, I'm thankful to EVERYONE who lends me some 2cent brain cabbage! lol..... Just that he helped me 'GET THERE', ya know? lol... eh, anyway,lol>>> )

Don't mean to make a big thing of it... I know, you're a humble dude, but I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP, Brandon.... Thanks

Originally Posted by jason in tn
are your 96 up shocks for any lift or just stock length?
You know, I have no idea. But, I have the number, 60027, so it wouldn't take much to find out.... In fact, lemme look really quick on RRO......(intermission, lol................) >> DING! lol.... .Around half way down this page, ... http://www.rocky-road.com/4runner.html ... click on the type on the 96-02 runner rear shock column and select medium shock.... that's the number they gave, "60027", which IS, INDEED, for a 2-2.5" lift. HOWEVER, .... it couldn't hurt to check and see if they'd work for ya, IF YOU NEED EM of course, right? lol.

Originally Posted by baddest94
Glad to see you found the prob with the shocks chef that sux they sent you the wrong ones just cause someone was to lazy to go over to the computer and hit a few keys. Hope everything gets straighted out whenm the news ones arrive.
I can't wait, shouldn't be more than 2-3 days. I WILL IMMEDIATELY install them, if possible, and let ya'all know what the dealio is on the 'ride quality'! and WOW, they didn't even question me, make CERTAIN on the order number or ANYTHING!(I couldn't find the invoice off hand, lol) GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE at ARB!

Originally Posted by mfwimg82
chef put those tbars back where they were truck looked great
Hahaha.... Hey, I probably will, Mike, no worries. I have to see how the ride is with the PROPER shocks for my application, then I'll go up or down a lil according to the travel and ride I want, ya know?

Thanks for the compliment, Mike, that means a lot!

OH, btw, they 'were where they were'(the t-bars) for 10 years, at least, lol Probably stock! lol. I just had additional lift from the spacers, but yeah, I think it looked just right, not too stupid-high and not too low for get'n things tackled on the trails! lol. GOOD LORD, I might even get to wheel this thing with the respect it deserves this year!!! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-25-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the shocks you have up front are the latest updated ones. they are stiffer than the old version shocks. it all depends on where people are buying them from. if the store selling them have them instock. it most likely be the old version (softer shocks). websites like the one you order from just drop ship them from ARB which of course are gonna carry the newest version shocks (stiffer)

not sure why your having issues. i didnt mess with my t bars because i hate to deal with measuring one side and the other so they match so i just left them alone.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:16 PM

Hey Toytech,... howzit man?

>>> well, According to ARB, "The 60027 are not at all for the front of any vehicle. They are valved differently, too large in outer diameter to fit in most IFS front ends, much different limits of compression/extension,....and the rig the 60027's are for, the 96-2002 4Runners, have completely different set ups in the rear than first gens, for much of the above mentioned stuffs,..... maybe they just happened to not throw a red flag up, initially, because unlike the first gen rigs, they are stud-upper/hoop-lower, like first gen front ends, but unlike first gen rears."

I even posted the link, above, at Rocky Road, where they are the listed shock(medium duty) for the rear of the 96-02 Runners.The proper one according to Rocky Road and ARB is "60072"...

^^^^ That's what I've been told by ARB Tech Support, anyhow.... but are you saying you are running that model shock up front, Toytech? (He also looked up the measurements for said 2" lift, compressed/extended, and it was WAY different. He was basically telling me, "I'm shocked you even made it fit, but it must be a lil more forgiving because you put a BJ spacer in, which increased your rim-top to wheel well top distance enough to get em in? Not sure, but when you compressed them to get them in, they were already nearly fully compressed, because here are the measurements>>>"... I THINK I listed those above as well.. not sure. 21.5"E-14.2"C.

I hate to see what the 'right' ones are like if they're stiffer than what I have in there, now, EEEK lol.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:11 PM

Glad to hear you found out what the problem was. I'd think if you were going to leave those shocks in until the new ones show up you should crank the tbars back up so you don't bottom out those shocks. And to answer what Jason was wondering: I'm pretty sure every OME shock adds 2 inches of travel over stock. It's my understanding that in Australia where OME is designed they are limited by law to 2" of lift over stock suspension so OME just matches the compressed length, and adds two inches to extended length of stock shocks. By doing this they have ensured their shocks will work for every application in their country. Or such is my understanding.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I hate to see what the 'right' ones are like if they're stiffer than what I have in there, now, EEEK lol.
I'm not sure it's as simple as just saying "softer" or "stiffer". It's my understanding that the OME nitro shocks are designed to allow extension much quicker than stock shocks to make sure you maintain ground contact through the low spots of trail, like for pot holes and valleys, and also offer much stronger resistance on the compression stroke for stabilizing your truck when it hits a sudden high patch like a rock, etc. I read a lot about them before I put in my order, and now I'm trying to remember all of the details. Like Extreme said earlier, the stiffness of your ride should be controlled by the crank of your torsion bars. The shocks only negate the bounce effect after your truck experiences a sudden change in grade. Either way you've already paid for them, and you'll be able to find out for yourself after the correct shocks arrive. I'm hoping for the best for you, I've got a vested interest in your judgement on the product.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:52 PM

i think your bottoming out the shocks if they had to be compressed quite a bit to install them. im pretty sure once you get the right shocks, which should be like mine up front. the front are gonna look different than the rears you currently have. if they are, than we are gonna have the same front and rear shocks/ miss matched which is ok with me.

you want N98 for the Front and N94 for the Rear
Old 07-26-2011, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Troubleshooting new parts and they are the wrong ones can be the toughest problem solving there is. You did great on that. I wouldnt of been any help so didnt want to add to any confusion. Good job.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:26 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
so if I am following correctly my initial assumption of hitting the compression bump stop wasn't too far off and your actually hitting the shock stop instead? If that's the case, that could explain why the shocks are blown and why your bouncing now.

In by build thread, I put some measurements up for the front shocks, but they were a little whacky when compared to the shocks you get with a stock truck remember?

I can see, now that I think about it, how lowering the torsions are bottoming out the shocks. Because your running closer to the compressed length of the shock that way. And because the torsion bar is now softer it's easier to cycle the suspension then it was when they were stiff. I believe earlier though I had said assuming you have the right shock in there raising/lowering via torsion bars don't affect the overall required length of the shock and I still stand by that statement.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:44 PM

Hey guys, ..... hopefully, ARB will be as prompt as last time(after waiting 10 WEEKS for RRO, ARB drop shipped and everything with the paperwork and had them to me in 3 days. This time, they have them, it's a ''send em'' order and it was done over the phone without any add-JUNK, lol.... So I should have them before the weekend! )

Thanks for the posts, Dutch, as always! Good lookin out. Yeah, it's making total sense to me, now, and of course, the valving, etc., would be much different for the rear, length different, so yeah, they're starting out, with t-bars relaxed, already fully compressed! lol. Thus; BOUNCY, BOUNCY! LOL.

Brandon, sup man? Yeah, I remember.... and I do recall you saying, "I'ma get these, they're not for this application EXACTLY, by the book and all, but they should fit and work, and they're much cheaper".... Something about YotaRob's having purchased them and you found them, (deutch-tech?) on the cheap on line" or something?

Far as them being blown,.... really don't think so.... I only drove around the block with them hitting the shock-stop. They WORKED, before, with the t-bars torqued up, .....BUT, when I relaxed them, the front end came down, compressing them that last two inches(I measured it with the T-bars back up where they were, minus a couple cranks), which put them ON THE LIMIT! lol. When I put 8 of the 12 turns back on the t-bars, the bounce pretty much went away. Also, I had to go up onto this offroad area near the horse trails to get my gear from the work I was doing, and when coming down, last evening, the shocks DID take the blow, after extending as I drooped, etc.

I think once I find a happy medium, relax the bars a bit with the right shocks installed, no sway bar, mega travel bj's and spacers, 31's, diff drop, ..... yeah, I'm pretty sure from what I could tell already, even with the wrong shocks, my flex is MUCH increased up front and so will be the ride quality. I CAN'T WAIT, to be honest, and even if they're a LIL stiffer than some, they'll be GREAT compared to the Rancho's I have right now in the rear(RS5000's) hahaha. Between those and my Zuk mod, I think it's also a LIL stiffer than usual, but I still DO LOVE the Zuk Coils! Loaded up several hundred pounds last week and HARDLY ANY drop in height.... just enough.... and when I actually went off the drop with that weight, it was SOFT, NO JARRING at all! I would love to just TRY this or that, like OME leaf pack, only, .... but alas, I don't have HUNDREDS OF SPARE DOLLARRRRRRRRRRS! lol. Heck, i'd put these in the rear, but my rear is set up for Hoop/Hoop, and these are NOT THAT, lol. C'monnnnnn, ....there's gotta be a way to weld a hoop onto that stud, right? lol. Again, I KNOW they'll go to good use if they're still good, so I'm not worried! lol.

Gonna FINALLY take a break and go see Captain America, tonight! WOOT! 5PM PST showing, I will be 'ROOTIN FOR AMERICA'..... on screen, of course! lol. (heard it was VERY pro-American compared to MANY/MOST anymore...so that's a relief as well! lol)
Old 07-26-2011, 03:29 PM

Hey, I have IFS Edelbrock shocks for the front just sitting around in my garage. You're welcome to them. Give me a call.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:50 AM

Well, ANTHONY, .... YOU'RE THE MAN, BUDDY!

I stopped by Anthony1's house, bout 10Min. away from me, over the river and through the woods so to speak,...and had a great time chatting it up with his kids and him! Great family, Anthony!(We'd met before, by chance, eating out one day.... Actually got talking before they left a restaurant, ...and then they came back in and said, "HEY, is that your 4Runner out there with the Yotatech sticker? I KNEW I'd seen that and you in the pics! lol" .... Small world, eh?).

Anyway, I don't have pics yet, but he tossed me some Edelbrock Shocks for 2-2.5" lift and some Low Pro Bump Stops for 'STUFF'(the ones that go on the lower A-arms)...... I can't thank you enough, Anthony..... if you really need some help(I know, I'd probably get in the way of your two wrench-servants there! lol), I'll be GLAD to help!(he since has a 7-8" lift with SAS on his 95 Runner.... and he's doing a 3.4 Swap right now! SICK! ......Of course, you know you want to just let me have that Supra Turbo, right Anthony? hahahaha) Sweet find, too, man!

I will probablyi slap them in, today, because I need to get to my pop's with my daughter WHEN SHE CAN GO, ...and that might be in the next couple days, ya know? Might even be bringing her fiance to meet him, ....so I need my rig running fine down the road without bouncy-bouncy syndrome! lol.

THANKS AGAIN, ANTHONY! Very righteous of you, man!
Old 07-27-2011, 03:50 PM

"LIL HUMOR FOR THE DAY" PIC! >>>>>>>

Notice anything that might be just slightly wrong? >>>>>>

hahaha.... Ok, don't laugh, cuz I never fully extended them like that.... They were pretty tight and didn't open just cuz I let go. They would, to a point, but not all the way like that. I wanted to get some pics of the difference when compressed, but MEH, .... you get the point! Just trust me, if was "barely" a fit! lol.

ANTHONY,....gotta say, I'M VERY impressed by these Edelbrock Shocks! The difference in ride quality, guys? What I mean is, ...... from when I had all original suspension, to now? (let alone the shocks)... HOLY CRAPULA! This thing rides like a DREAM now, and I will surely letcha all know what the Emu's are like when they finally come. But it sounds like that will be after I've left. For now, at least I know, THANKS TO ANTHONY, that I will have a nice cushy/still firm but MUCH nicer/ ride to AZ and then wheeling a lil while there! WOOT!

PS> My daughter, Kayla(Left) was by last week with her friend, Katrina and her(my daughters) dog, Mikah....(biggest mush heart dog I've met in a while, lol. VERY sweet mutt!)

Old 07-27-2011, 03:53 PM

PS> The OME's are still perfectly fine. I only drove one time around the block with the t-bars relaxed some. They compress and extend just fine without any silly noises or hesitation or soft spots. Was a lil worried about that, ...but s'all good, and once again, the BIG MAN had my back! lol
Old 07-27-2011, 04:13 PM

Glad it worked out. I really like those shocks when I was using them. They behaved well in corners with out sway bar due to unique valving method.
You might like it so much you want to return EMU.....
Old 07-27-2011, 04:19 PM

Hahaha... Yeah, never know. I've had the emu stabilizer in for months, but never got the shocks in til I did the suspension, ya know? So I didn't even look to see if they were right(the wrong ones that I have now, lol).... I was too excited to finally get them in, I didn't think, "Gee, I wonder if they sent the wrong ones!" ..... But looking at them side by side, ......well, it's just silly! lol.

REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY appreciate it, Anthony! I hope I can return the favor, soon!

BTW, ...the stops.... are those for the droop?(the one that just has one stop?) Cuz there's only two in the package,...and the ones on the lower arms, for stuff-factor, have 2 each arm. Just curious... I can look up the number, but thought you'd tell me quicker! lol.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread