86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4

PS> Someone told me that, regardless of getting 12.35 Volt readings from the lighter plug hole, they DO NOT put out 12V actually, .... Toyota Lighter plugs put out 11.5V or something like that? The guy was an electrician, and he showed me how it worked that way ONLY when I plug something in that draws power. Back then, in 87, I don't think Inverters were on the list of Toyota's "things to enable", ...so they were worried about something else, or the lighter was only set to pull 12V ???
This doesn't make any sense to me. I would think if the truck is off it would have nothing to do with Toyota's devices, and everything to do with your battery. I'm not saying this because I know, I'm saying this because I'm hoping someone who does know can correct me and make me smarter in the process. Just finding this hard to understand.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:40 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
^^ x2...
usually, the voltage is higher than 12v, and even higher with the engine running. i know it's not supposed to change, but it does due to wires, fuses, heat, connections, and load. what you need to be concerned about is amperage of the load.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:51 PM

X3 head scratcher that one is. Irab is correct you need to worry about amp load.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:28 AM

Hey chef just a thought on the a/c Try adjusting the idle up higher than the 750 with a/c on. when mine was idleing too low the a/c kept kicking on and off alot. but with a higher idle it runs better. this may be why yours runs longer till the engine is warmed up where it idles slower. also the lighter is gona give you whatever voltage you measure or your battery will maintain. once you put a load it may make the battery drop in voltage depending on the load and the condition of the battery. the stock lighter socket may be only on when ignition is on. the reason that the higher wattage inverters dont have the lighter socket is because they pull to many amps for the socket wire. that wire is pretty small.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:01 AM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Mark - I can shed a little bit of light on the inverter/voltage questions.

- The battery is nominally a 12V battery, but since it's composed of several cells and each cell may vary slightly because of age/wear/temperature, the battery voltage you measure at the terminals may be higher or lower.

- When the truck is running, the alternator has to charge the battery, so it has to put out more than 12V to create the gradient and push electrons the other way into the battery.

- All of the wiring, from your batt cables, to the fuse panel and snaking all out into your different systems is adding resistance between the battery and the device. Specifically, the wires going to your cig lighter are pretty small, but with no current being drawn through the wire, if I stick my voltmeter in the cig lighter hole and measure, I'll pretty much read the same as reading directly on the battery terminals. (Again, assuming no current draw).

- If you were to plug a load into your cig lighter while still measuring the voltage right there, you will see a voltage drop that is proportional to the current being drawn by that load. The resistance of wire is specified as Ohms per foot, so if the wire is 15ft long, and say it has .01 Ohms per foot of loss, then the total resistance is .15 Ohms, not much. The voltage drop is current times resistance, so to draw 10Amps, you'll lose 1.5 Volts just in the wire. I made this example up, I don't know what gauge wire goes to the cig lighter so I don't know the ohms per foot.

- Now, one more thing on the inverter you mentioned. You said it was 750W. So if you plan to use all 750 of those watts then you'll be drawing 750/12 = 62.5 Amps. So whatever wire you run to the back of the truck, make it beefy.

On newer cars you'll notice the accessory power plugs say 120W on them. I think because they fuse them for 10Amps, so 12V * 10A = 120W.

I don't know if I cleared anything up or confused the issues
Old 07-12-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks a LOT, guys! Yeah, had me confused as well! lol.

Since that camping trip where I met that guy, I have installed a new battery and many new main wires, secondary wires, etc. .... OH< and a new alternator, lol.

Far as you confusing me, Corys, .... no worries, that really did help remind me of Electronics 101 in HSkrewel! lol I'm serious.... the wiring thing, specifically.

OK< so the inverter is 750W Continuous and 1500W whatever, lol. Don't have it in front of me, forgive, FORGIVE! lol.

Thinking about it, I guess I could just leave the inverter without a male 12V hook up, maybe just removing the Alligator clips and run some 10G wire from the Power Source to the Center somewhere, like RBX did(just not permanently mounted). I have 20FT. of heat shrink that I can pull a section of when it's time to hook the thing up to the wiring each time, via removing the alligator clips, as said, and replacing them with male connectors that I'd have encapsulated so they wont arc and run them into the Power source wires with FEMALE connectors on them(so they can chill somewhere in the panel or something without arching when not in use....... And with all that said, it's starting to REALLY look like a GREAT idea to install it the way RBX DID! lol. Maybe I could do what RBX did, but make it more removeable?
Old 07-12-2011, 09:26 AM

PS> Thanks, Cougar! I'll try that... just been really REALLY busy!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
- The battery is nominally a 12V battery, but since it's composed of several cells and each cell may vary slightly because of age/wear/temperature, the battery voltage you measure at the terminals may be higher or lower.
not quite. batteries are nominally higher than 12v. this is to overcome internal resistance of the battery itself, which is part of the reason it heats up while dis/charging. the only time you will measure less than 12 volts is on a very dead battery, or one under a tremendous load, as in starting.

- When the truck is running, the alternator has to charge the battery, so it has to put out more than 12V to create the gradient and push electrons the other way into the battery.
actually, it puts out the exact same voltage as the battery. the alternator is actually wired to the battery through the "charge" circuit. it measures the battery voltage to vary the rotor field strength. if the engine is reved, obviously the alternator rotates faster. the "charge" circuit sees the increase in voltage to the battery and decreases field strength to maintain the "nominal" voltage. if the voltage from the alternator was higher than that of the battery, the battery would always be charging, and you never want to over-charge a battery.

- All of the wiring, from your batt cables, to the fuse panel and snaking all out into your different systems is adding resistance between the battery and the device. Specifically, the wires going to your cig lighter are pretty small, but with no current being drawn through the wire, if I stick my voltmeter in the cig lighter hole and measure, I'll pretty much read the same as reading directly on the battery terminals. (Again, assuming no current draw).

- If you were to plug a load into your cig lighter while still measuring the voltage right there, you will see a voltage drop that is proportional to the current being drawn by that load. The resistance of wire is specified as Ohms per foot, so if the wire is 15ft long, and say it has .01 Ohms per foot of loss, then the total resistance is .15 Ohms, not much. The voltage drop is current times resistance, so to draw 10Amps, you'll lose 1.5 Volts just in the wire. I made this example up, I don't know what gauge wire goes to the cig lighter so I don't know the ohms per foot.
yes. a typical accessory outlet is 10 amps, for all outlets. i want to upgrade mine to be able to handle more (20 amps-ish), but don't forget that the actual socket can only handle so much. there are other options besides alligator clips for quick release terminals

>whew<
Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 AM

ie:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#multipole-connectors/=d5a80o
Old 07-12-2011, 10:08 AM

OOOOOH, THOSE ARE SEXY HOOK UPS, IAN! lol. thanks for that as an idea! I might go more 'general', but I PROMISE I will take my time and do it 'right'! Solder, heat shrink, tubing!' lol
Old 07-12-2011, 10:20 AM

EDIT: oops, sorry, wrong thread, lol....
Old 07-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
AC?? whats that, I will be glad to find out someday, so will be looking at your thread when I get to do mine. It sounds like it is working right, when that compressor kicks in, it puts a hevy load on the motor.

Coryc85 was right..I had electrical training 20 years ago and alot of that sounded familiar. A good example of wiring issues is if you ever put a air compressor on around 100 feet of extention cord, all of the electric gets used up by the time it get to the compressor. Make sure you have heavy wire and probably will want to upgrade your alternator.

I finaly got out of the Electrical Problems Club, hoping the same for you
Old 07-13-2011, 01:56 PM

THANKS, TERRY! lol.... I hear ya... I can promise one thing, ...when I do this, it will not be with electrical tape and twisting, ...not even connectors when possible.... it will be soldered with an easy out hook up. Alternator? HMMMM, yeah, been wanting to do that for a while, but can't afford it for now. Trans first! lol.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:40 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
hello???
Old 07-15-2011, 03:46 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
wow two days, ill check missing persons.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by RBX
wow two days, ill check missing persons.
what i was thinking too.

but i disappeared for like 4 days myself, so i have no room to talk
Old 07-15-2011, 03:59 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Ha, well i guess we could keep the thread alive by chatting about how we disappear from time to time, sometimes you just got too. Of course this is only so Chef's thread doesn't fall out of the top 10 busiest threads. Me, I'm going for the tumble weed thread, with cricket sounds.
Usually when i disappear i am working on the truck, reason why i don't take many pics, and don't even check email. This is usually the weekend. And i take the most pics and respond when i am on vacation...go figure.
I am really trying to create a diatribe here but i am running out of coffee/steam.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:30 AM

ahahhahaha^^^^
Old 07-15-2011, 06:52 AM

it's not like he's gone... he posted just yesterday afternoon:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post51753709
Old 07-15-2011, 04:34 PM

He's not gone. His truck works, it's about time he friggin enjoyed it. The fact that this thread slowed down means he's finally reaping the benefits of his work. That and he doesn't realise the rest of you see this thread as a chat room. Mowaha ha ha ha

Edit: I think I kinda came across as an ass there, I was really just making a joke, hope I didn't offend.

Last edited by Dutchbelly; 07-15-2011 at 04:44 PM.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread