86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
When warmed up, it idles right on at 750-775rpm. I noticed something today, ...when I first turned it on, it rose up a lil, then within 3-5 seconds(?) it dropped down dramatically to 500rpm. If I sit long enough at the light, it WILL come up, like I said before, ...but just to around 600 or so. Obviously something is INSTANTLY heating up and throwing a switch back off, .....Ok, not obviously, maybe "POSSIBLY?" hahaha.

HAHAHAHA! Well, even when I go nuts for 2 weeks, exploring in the sierras, etc.(been stuck many times, in mud many times, crawling through trails where we have to break out saws and spend 2 hours clearing just to get through, etc.).....but because I only go with stock rims and 31's, ...I never seem to get much slung all over, ya know? lol. When I had 33's? YEAH, BIG MESS! lol.

You just reminded me I need to get my skid plate back on. I've been looking for one that's stronger/within reasonable price range(YEAH, I KNOW, NOT OUT THERE, NEW! lol).... on CL, etc.,..if you see one, could you let me know? BudBuilt, etc? My bumper guard is set up with mounts for a guard that comes all the way to the bumper level and mounts to the brush guard, ...but downey is done, so I'm not sure any others would fit, ya know? GRRR. For now, my stock one will work, just have to paint it... it's straight as an arrow, as I've hammered it out with a body work hammer and painted it 3 times, hahaha. Yeah, when creeping through trails, logs pop out at ya, ya know? DEFINITELY don't wanna find any if I go for a couple days next week...... WITHOUT THE GUARD ON! WWWWWWWWwoooow, that would stink! lol.
Hahaha i hear ya!

If i find one ill let you know.
Im constantly searching craigslist within a 100 mile radius of my location.

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Like Bojangles was saying.. you do have a clean looking 4Runner. I like the red with your factory stripes. If I could order one today it would be red or blue with the stripes you have.

Glad you got the rear seal done. I will eventually get to mine. Always nice to have some one to test the waters.

I seen on here some where about the fan setting and the first position normally goes out. I recall as guy took a flat sheet of copper?? and made a new plate that replaces the original. I will see if I can find it tonite.
THANKS, TERRY! I might have found it at Kragen for 11$.... or I can get OEM for 10.45$ plus 11$ shipping? lol. Think OEM might be the best way to go, like usual.

Originally Posted by Bojangles
Hahaha i hear ya!

If i find one ill let you know.
Im constantly searching craigslist within a 100 mile radius of my location.

Good luck!
GREAT, now hook me up, holmes! lol.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:28 PM

I'm just doing a quick 'reminder' update for myself............

1. Order Fan Blower Resistor
2. Get necessary wiring for installing 12V car adapter under/behind bumper(Check Garage, prob. have most)
3. Get necessary wiring for installing 750W Power Inverter .............................( " )
4. Get rest of Gaskets for Restoring/Resealing T-case
5. Get ALL NECESSARY info on whether or not it's practical to do Trans or have it done.
6. Call Buddy about trade for his HiLift w/mount/lock
7. Get HD Bags for Fire Dept. Clean up(I know, off topic, but can't forget lol)
Old 07-05-2011, 09:31 PM

Just wanted to share what I found to be the reason for the CRAZY noise in the Honda CRV brakes...................

POcrap Parts Store Brand "PREMIUM"? Put back the one Honda pad there and VOILA, not a squeak!!!!!! Toyo, etc., you were absolutely right! Now that I'm on that, I think I know why my brakes, which look FLAWLESS, are making more noise than I'd like. Next pads WILL BE OEM! Or at least good-aftermarket ones!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-05-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I wasnt thinking of resistor, I was thinking of the plate. Resistor would be easier. Just in case, I will put the link in.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ctures-227171/
Old 07-05-2011, 11:08 PM

Oh, I know.... and I'll look at that first. If it's easily doable, I'm TOTALLY for a cheaper fix that's solid, ya know? Thanks, Terry....... and to be honest, I probably had already forgotten about that by the time I was typing, hahaha... VERY CRAZY last few days(plus being HOT AS HECK, ...think it kinda fried the nugget a lil bit! Lol)
Old 07-06-2011, 03:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man just catching up on a few threads. Sounds like you have a lot going on as usual. I'm sure you know but make sure you use heavy enough cable on that inverter really easy to under do it ya know, I used an inexpensive set of 8 gauge jumper cables for ours in the truck(big inverter), anyways I know you know what your doing, good luck with all of it buddy.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:40 AM

I DO NOT know what I'm doing! hahaha.... Hey, come do it for me, how bout that? lol.

Jk, thanks buddy! I've second thought's on that one. Reason being,.....I can't afford a second inverter and I want to be able to move it around with a portable Battery Case(Second Battery in Plastic Container). So that install in the firewall is out on the inverter. Besides.... I ONLY use those when I camp, really, or sometimes when I want to charge my Camera Batteries when I'm out and about.... VERY RARE, I have 3 batteries for my DSLR.

Still trying to find time to figure out the rest.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:34 PM

hey chef At the shope where my dad works they use copper anti-sieze as a lub on all metal to metal pionts on the brakes, on that pad take the metal off the back, brush the back and sides where it clips on with a coat of copper anti-sieze then put it back on and brush the back where it contacts the caliper pistons and where the alignment tabs on the ends touch the caliper and reinstall. I have always done this and have yet to have any pads cheap or OEM sqeek. the noise is a vibration where the metal on metal is. use it on the slider bolts that hold the caliper on too. OEMs will sqeek too if you dont use lube!! I saw the truck is finally running like a champ. thats great. catch ya later. just noticed the pad seperation. something not right with that install, noticed the curve in the plate too.

Last edited by c0ugar69; 07-06-2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-06-2011, 01:42 PM

also did you try adjusting the white screw for the idle up on the side of the intake. it has a spring on it. I think counterclockwise is higher in is lower. I had to replace my VSV with one from the wrecker. it was bad. try hooking the hose to the idle up on a different source of vacumm to make sure that is working then you will know if its the VSV or not.

Last edited by c0ugar69; 07-06-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:53 PM

Hey Cougar, ...hahaha, I installed the brakes, and sure, it could have been me, lol. Either way, it was funny that I took out that thing, installed the OEM one back in there only on that side, then greased it all up and back together and VOILA, not a PEEP! lol.

Far as the VSV, yeah, I have to try to tinker with that white screw thing. Far as the VSV working, I will check out the testing. I know how to test the VSV for the Fuel Pressure Regulator...and mine is working, on that one. But this one, yeah....so you're saying to take the 3 vacuum tubes that come from/to the VSV off and just plug one and route the others straight from the plenum to the idle up mechanical valve on the plenum? I'll take a look when I have time, lil confused, lol.

It definitely seems like something electrical involved... has to be, cuz when I hit the air, the idle stays ok for a couple seconds, ...then just DROPS OFF THE MAP, ya know?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-06-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:46 AM

Hey chef sorry it's been so long between postings. Couple thoughts- I remember a thread on here somewhere that had a guy who found a cheap alarm for his car that allowed him to hook his tailgate window up to a button on his alarm key fob. this allowed him to put a 12 volt plug right where the key tumbler is on the tailgate. He said it fit right in. also if you're thinking about throwing never seize on the brake pads just buy a small tub of brake slider grease instead. it's designed for the heat and i don't remember it being too expensive. cheers!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:31 AM

thanks, dutch! That's a good idea, I'll look into it, for sure.

Far as the brakes, .....yeah, I just used some Toyota Synthetic Break Grease I had lying around. Far as the thing bending like that... NO IDEA what happened. 3/4 wheels were perfect, apparently, ...but it sounded like both on the pass. side were fubar. I honestly think they dropped em or something, and fractured something? Can't know, but the clerk dropped two others and then didn't have the ones I ordered....so he had to go back there, grabbed these for the same price.... OI, wish I'd gone to Honda in the first place! lol.

Anyway, long story short, IT WORKS, very well, and is stopping on a dime, no freaky wear after 100 miles yesterday, no noise, .... my fix worked, for now of course.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
thanks, dutch! That's a good idea, I'll look into it, for sure.
That would be awesome because I want to do it myself at some point, and can't seem to find the thread I mentioned earlier. So yeah, this is just me selfishly waiting for you to show me how easy it is to do lol
Old 07-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
So yeah, this is just me selfishly waiting for you to show me how easy it is to do lol[/QUOTE]

lol... Same here, we know you will get it.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:19 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey fellas! Its been awhile for sure. Just stopping in to say hi. Mark I am trying to catch up here but Im on my droid and you move to fast. Lol.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:13 PM

aw come on man no updates whats up with that I mean really its like you finaly get it running good and leave us faithful followers to wonder what you doing LOL JK buddy hope all is good with you.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dutchbelly
That would be awesome because I want to do it myself at some point, and can't seem to find the thread I mentioned earlier. So yeah, this is just me selfishly waiting for you to show me how easy it is to do lol
Originally Posted by Terrys87
So yeah, this is just me selfishly waiting for you to show me how easy it is to do lol

lol... Same here, we know you will get it.[/quote]

Hahaha... Well, I'm not sure that's what I'll do, just yet. I'll be adding the waterproof 12V Car adapter for sure, but I'm starting to think that I'd rather have it IN the cab. What I'll probably do is add 2, one on the inside and one on the outside, reason being, I want to have 12V in the rear when I sleep in there(often, equally as often as I use the tent) and one for the outside for the obvious reasons(To have power to just hook up without having to have the truck open and let skeeters in. To have power for airing up handy when on the trails. To have power to the Laptop/Tent/etc, or while kicking out by the Gazebo.... {Jason Saw it, it's 'PHAT' as they used to say, 10x10 Telescopic WITH Skeeter Netting} ).

The one in the Cargo area could very well work on the inside, off the same break that the one in the keyhole location would....but I just think I'd like it in the bumper hollow, hidden.

I'm still not sure, either, on the 'more permanent' installation of the inverter... See, I'd like to be able to take it out and move it around. The 750W and up are not TOO cheap, and I can't really afford to buy another one right now, lol(Debts to pay, Trans to buy, etc., lol). So, I'm trying to just work with what I have in the electrical dept., which is LOTS, after I just checked. I have plenty of wire, solder, a couple weatherproof fuse links, and the 12v adapter I would add doesn't need to be waterproof, so that'd be around 5$ or so. I have all the mounting clips, heat shrink, loom, etc., that I'd need, too! Might need a relay, but those are cheap too. The one thing I REALLY want to do is a bus bar or something like that in the engine bay, like Ian did.(IRAB). Sweet job, and I think Yotarob, below, as well.. Both very nice jobs on that. I have 3 things coming off my battery wing nut already, ...it's just CHEESY, ....and, well, cheesy, as you can tell from my engine bay, IS NOT WHAT I'M GOING FOR! lol. Plus, the bar would be cleaner and practical. Anyway, I'll be looking back to Ian and Rob for a good place to pick one up, or just hit "Signal Electronics, Torrance, CA".

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Hey fellas! Its been awhile for sure. Just stopping in to say hi. Mark I am trying to catch up here but Im on my droid and you move to fast. Lol.
HAHAHAHA.... Sorry man, ..... I hope some of it's encouraging. I LOVE your truck, Rob, and I appreciate how kind you've been to me as well

Originally Posted by jason in tn
aw come on man no updates whats up with that I mean really its like you finaly get it running good and leave us faithful followers to wonder what you doing LOL JK buddy hope all is good with you.
SORRY MAN! lol. hey, I'll get to it, just been TOTALLY overwhelmed with Work ANDDDDDDDD, ....meeting the deadline of the fire dept. for the flashing grass, overhanging branches, hillside by Crenshaw(you know the spot, Jason.... quite the hill! lol) I'm 40% done, believe it or not, in just 3 days of 8 hours of this and 8 hours of cooking. Reason I AM doing the Fire Dept. Warning Work? MONEY! lol. This will pay for my Transmission! I would let them hire 3 guys to do it in 4 days for ?$.... but I NEED THE CABBAGE! hahaha. I know you were messin... I actually DO HOPE that the constant previous chasing of my own tail is OVER, ....hope that's ok with everyone else, too! lol. However, I DO have mods/more restoration to tend to.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:43 PM

be careful on that hill man or you might whined up in trafic I feel for ya man,
Old 07-07-2011, 08:44 PM

I may have put the idle up hoses on one of the other vsv's and plugged the power for the a/c vsv into the one i put the hoses on just to see if power is working and if the a/c vsv is bad.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread