86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Chef..Im not much help in this area, but if you can swing it later on. I would be tempted to go with a rebuilt tranny. You could get a used one but chances are it will have a million miles on it.

By replacing the seals can only help. It did make it to Arizona as it is. In a perfect world you would just get a new one, but here in YT world have to fix what you can until better days come along. I know how that goes. As long as you are just running locally, just keep an eye on it.

On the overfill possiblity, if someone filled it through the shifter, that would do it. I have heard of it being done in the past.

Probably not much help in this area, but maybe my hoping for best has some effect.

Last edited by Terrys87; 06-30-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahahaha, ....thanks, Terry, very kind and understanding words of encouragement! (and I'm starting to wonder if they did that cuz they had trouble with the drain/fill plug.... it's kinda tweeked, like they were trying with the wrong size socket and started to round it, then took another route? Seems like it's leaked for a while, but never like recently. And, well, you all know all I've done lately with the drivetrain/trans fills, etc..... Hmmmm)

I didn't even get to start on the truck today because the CRV's Brakes just totally took a LEFT WHEN THEY SHOULDA GONE RIGHT kinda crap! lol. Screeching and moaning all over. I replaced all the pads(4 wheel disc) and greased everything properly.... but I still have some decent noise going on....NOTHING like it was, but nonetheless, they're still squeelin a bit. ONE THING I noticed, .....when turning hard to the left, they're making the same noise, WITHOUT THE BRAKES APPLIED! WTHHHHH? ANYONE have any input on this? The pistons all depressed one at a time and I kept the master from overflowing, but never going too low... What I mean is, I KNOW how to do brakes.... but something is off. Guess maybe a caliper is grabbing or something? But why would it do this in a hard left turn only? HOPING it's nothing, ....after all, it's their car!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-30-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey chef, what exactly was the original problem you are having with the trans? was going to say, with that many miles, its possible a tail shaft bearing in the trans my be getting sloppy and took the seal out. Do you have any movement in the trans output shaft at all? And I thought I saw you post something about a rear main seal that looked to be leaking?? i may be wrong on that, but if you did, could be the front seal in the trans leaking as well. and yes, you can seperate that transfer case from the trans with it all connected, you will have to drop that underslung crossmember that holds the back side of the trans/transfer case to get it out as you would be able to do much lifting on the back of the t-case with the trans still bolted to the engine. Im thinking this is how you would have to do it, I just pulled the engine on mine to rebuild it after spinning 3 rod bearings (which any/everyone is welcome to add to my build up thread). And as far as rebuilding the trans, you redid the motor on yours right?? do the trans. experience is priceless and transmissions are more scary then they actually are. Like anything else, its all nuts and bolts man, just gotta get em all in the right place when you go back together with it all good luck to ya and holler if you have any questions at all, more than willing to help with anything I can.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:54 AM

and on the CRV, wheel bearing maybe???
Old 07-01-2011, 03:16 PM

Wow, thanks, Boosted! Long time no speakage, lol.

Yeah, far as the CRV, ...no idea... could be I suppose... a bearing, that is. But, ....it's making screeching noises in the brakes still, even though they're all redone, cleaned up and bled. Something aint happy in there! lol

Far as the trans, ..yeah, I could, but I just can't afford being down that many days again(first time, I'm sure it wont be TOO quick! LOL..) And, AA Gear and Shafts is being recommended by most of the shops that I trust and ask.. They seem really fair and honest, and VERY quick, as they are one of the biggest suppliers of Gears and Shafts and such in most of L.A..... Plus, they do spline repair, shaft welding, etc., ....you know, specialty stuff. The owner was nice and took time to speak with me, he said, "Mark, it sounds like you blew the 4th syncro and possibly a black/washer spun or disinigrated, .....so you're just getting it in 4th by the chance of the draw, ...FOR NOW! lol. Also, it's old, Mark,....they're tough, but trust me, if it ran dry for any time like you said, ....well then yeah, it's best to just go through, salvage what is fine and replace what is not, re seal it, etc. Your gears are 99% surely fine, ...they are REALLY tough and set up in a really good way in these. Ahead of their time, they were. So, up to you, .... we do so many, that's why we can deal like we do... 550$ completely rebuilt, max price... sound good?".............. I don't think I can beat that, Boosted, ya know? I wish I had a project truck to build up, and I WOULD do the trans, ...my machinist did several syncro pulls and such while I was over there helping with my build... I'm SURE he'd not mind helping me fix whatever was wrong with this one.... but I can't afford to do something wrong, etc., ya know? It's my ONLY personal vehicle.

Far as the leaking.... pretty sure it's PAUSED for now, lol. I DOUBT it's the input shaft seal on the trans, ... few chapters back in this thread, I did that, very anal and clean job about it, too! lol. BUT IT'S POSSIBLE, sure. Trust me, if I DO pull the trans any time soon, I WILL be doing EVERY SEAL, it's stupid not to with this many miles, ya know?

Far as the rear leak on the t-case, .....pretty sure that was my main one, the output shaft to the rear d-shaft.... and while I'm sure it'll still leak in places, that one was visibly dripping all over. For now, I'll just have to keep it from gettint TOO overfull again, and maintain the levels.... Until I have 550$ or the time to rebuild the trans, that is, lol.

BTW, your truck is lookin SICK! lol.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:18 PM

Guys, I did the rear t-case output shaft seal, .....went well, PIECE OF CAKE! Gonna do the front one and the t-case/trans seal later, GRANTING nothing grenades on me, lol. I mean, I'm not worried about losing 1.75Q of gear oil, as much as I am losing out on a couple hundy in work tomorrow! Ya know? lol... Gotta save up for that trans rebuild lol.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:23 PM

Hey chef hope that gets the leak taken care of I hate hearing everything that keeps happening to your runner. But on the positive side of things atleast when you get her all done she should be in as good of shape as when she rolled off the line. And then you wont know what to do without anything to fix lol
Old 07-01-2011, 06:12 PM

DUDE! LOL.....that's EXACTLY how it feels for a couple days..... and then, very QUICKLY at this point.... I get over it and just enjoy it! hhahaha..... Unfortunately, I've not been able to enjoy anything for too long as it's only led to YET ANOTHER issue, lol. This is why I almost always use OEM parts, .... don't wanna be back to the AutoZone Seal or this or that by the time I FINALLY FINISH all this restoration! hahaha. But seriously, .... YES, it will pay off in the end!

UPDATE; I don't believe in jinx's, bad luck, murphy's law.... I believe there are circumstances and choices therein, right? So, ..... I'll just say, premature or not, the seal SEEMS to be holding. AS DOES THE OIL PLUG SELF TAPPING THINGYMADOER! LOL. I will post the part number for that, AFTER I verify it will hold indefinitely.... after all, how many times do oil plugs get stripped? According to google, MANY! lol. But, I just wanna be SURE it's a good find before I tell people to rush out and do it, ya know? I got it at Napa, I'll leave it at that for now, lol. Oh whatever, here's a pic.........

The lower portion that touches the pan, ...that goes in and NEVER comes out... that's the type of split/tapered self tapping plug it is.... and the lil plug on the outside, ...that's the drain. They're separate, for good reason, as to take ALL of the pressure off the lower one when it's time to drain.... The upper one(small bolt) comes right off pretty easy, and it, as well, is tapered to avoid stripping/having to overtighten. I used thread sealant on it, anyhow...it CAN'T HURT, eh? lol. The permatex thread sealant(high temp/pressure) has worked great on my steering flange nut, etc., .. great stuff!

The rear output t-case seal, LIKE I SAID, seeeeeeeeeems to be holding, lol. I also realized something........ that shield on the outside? IT'S TOTALLY a sling shield! So, if it was leaking like I think.....then it makes sense that it could sling gear oil ALL OVER the place, but especially straight above it, below it, but not really behind it, toward the rear end.

Sorry for rambling, and sorry my thread isn't as exciting lately, lol.... but hey, I did post a pic, right? hahaha.

Don't need to post any pics for the t-case seals replacement..... just follow Todd Corbin's AWESOME write up>>>>>>

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...l#post51224230

THANKS, TODD, that made it so much less intimidating!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:21 PM

Glad to hear you've gained s little ground/bought yourself a little time with your latest issues, also glad to there seal was SN easy change as I will be tackling mine soon.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:02 PM

Yep, ...follow that thread I posted, the link(it's longer, but I just posted from the permalink, since that's where he listed all the parts, etc. )

CAKE, Jason,...... 30 minutes, tops, next one I do! lol.... Course, the front is a bit more difficult, as the crossmember is in the way! grrr! lol.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:42 PM

Looks good Chef. Glad to see that it seems like you are makin some headway or at least it seems like it. Im hopin it works out.

Last edited by Z's Confederate Toy; 07-01-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:55 PM

glad to hear its holding up chef! keepin my fingers crossed for ya
Old 07-01-2011, 08:55 PM

THANKS, GUYS!

Well, I'm 30 miles in now, give or take, and it seems that the oil pan drain plug replacement/self tapper jobby is not leaking a drop!

Strangely enough, ...it also seems that my rear main leak or whatever I kept seeing, ....well, from the time I got back from AZ, I noticed it's not leaked a drop, either. GOD WILLING, IT'LL STAY THAT WAY!!! lol. (Maybe the long drive heated up the rear main and molded it just right to the crank? HEY, listen!>>> maybe something freakish IN A GOOD WAY happened, .... I mean, IT COULD, RIGHT? EVEN TO ME? hahaha)... Never know, we'll see, right?

Far as the T-case...... I appears it's either leaking from the front output shaft seal and running back, ...or what I really think is happening, ....."it's leaking from the gaskets after having too much pressure more than once. I will keep an eye on it, and if I have time next week....I'll seal up the front seal, then go from there. Can't seem to find more than an hour or two lately, and I NEED MY TRUCK RUNNING FOR WORK!

Hope to be able to just pull the whole case and seal it up with all new gaskets, seals and eventually, drop the trans, too and HAVE HER FIXEDEDED!

Now, I'm literally heat-exhausted and physically as well..... so I'ma watch a movie! I have 2000, ...... give or take a few, .....any ideas? I'm a Sci-fi/Action adventure/thriller type of guy.... but I'm actually thinking of watching Tropic Thunder again,....HOLY CRAPULA, ........ SERIOUSLY, I almost peed myself watching that in the theater! lol. Ok, I'm exaggerating, but you get the point! lol.

Have a Happy 4th, everyone! (I'm sure I'll be back....wanna do some wiring maybe this weekend, ....but might not have time.......LOTS OF GUESTS IN AND OUT! grrr, lol.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:17 PM

clean 4runner chef! and wow! you have some patience and mechanical talent. if i was you i would have driven that thing off a cliff a looong time ago. again, nice work!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:41 PM

Hey man, thanks a lot, Taco,.... appreciated very much! Yeah, ....I've thought about the cliff thing,...TONS OF THEM AROUND ME! lol. Nah, it's just a machine, I refuse to let it beat me! haha. Happy 4th, make sure your brother doesn't get into any trouble, k??? ahahaha.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:59 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
hey Mark...glad things are going your way finally. Thanks for the assist on Joe's thread. things are moving right along now.

happy 4th to you as well.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:24 AM

mark, it's not uncommon for a seal to be a little mishaped not that ucould see ...then added heat adjust it so to speak . great scifi movie the human centipede well maybe not scifi but wow and happy forth to you and try to enjoy it without touching the yota.....jeff
Old 07-02-2011, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your CRV brake issue: what brand of brake pads did you get? if you used anything but honda brake pads, the noise is due to aftermarket pads. you brakes still drag even when nothing braking so im sure the noise you still get when not braking is due to them dragging and causing the sound similar to if you where braking.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Wow, thanks, Boosted! Long time no speakage, lol.

Yeah, far as the CRV, ...no idea... could be I suppose... a bearing, that is. But, ....it's making screeching noises in the brakes still, even though they're all redone, cleaned up and bled. Something aint happy in there! lol

Far as the trans, ..yeah, I could, but I just can't afford being down that many days again(first time, I'm sure it wont be TOO quick! LOL..) And, AA Gear and Shafts is being recommended by most of the shops that I trust and ask.. They seem really fair and honest, and VERY quick, as they are one of the biggest suppliers of Gears and Shafts and such in most of L.A..... Plus, they do spline repair, shaft welding, etc., ....you know, specialty stuff. The owner was nice and took time to speak with me, he said, "Mark, it sounds like you blew the 4th syncro and possibly a black/washer spun or disinigrated, .....so you're just getting it in 4th by the chance of the draw, ...FOR NOW! lol. Also, it's old, Mark,....they're tough, but trust me, if it ran dry for any time like you said, ....well then yeah, it's best to just go through, salvage what is fine and replace what is not, re seal it, etc. Your gears are 99% surely fine, ...they are REALLY tough and set up in a really good way in these. Ahead of their time, they were. So, up to you, .... we do so many, that's why we can deal like we do... 550$ completely rebuilt, max price... sound good?".............. I don't think I can beat that, Boosted, ya know? I wish I had a project truck to build up, and I WOULD do the trans, ...my machinist did several syncro pulls and such while I was over there helping with my build... I'm SURE he'd not mind helping me fix whatever was wrong with this one.... but I can't afford to do something wrong, etc., ya know? It's my ONLY personal vehicle.

Far as the leaking.... pretty sure it's PAUSED for now, lol. I DOUBT it's the input shaft seal on the trans, ... few chapters back in this thread, I did that, very anal and clean job about it, too! lol. BUT IT'S POSSIBLE, sure. Trust me, if I DO pull the trans any time soon, I WILL be doing EVERY SEAL, it's stupid not to with this many miles, ya know?

Far as the rear leak on the t-case, .....pretty sure that was my main one, the output shaft to the rear d-shaft.... and while I'm sure it'll still leak in places, that one was visibly dripping all over. For now, I'll just have to keep it from gettint TOO overfull again, and maintain the levels.... Until I have 550$ or the time to rebuild the trans, that is, lol.

BTW, your truck is lookin SICK! lol.
Thanks Chef you should hit up my thread sometime Could definitely use some advice on it. And I hear ya about the trans stuff man...I just know that transmissions arent very difficult, usually just people are more scared to get into them than anything. And like your trans man said, likely just needs synchros, bearing and seals.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
hey Mark...glad things are going your way finally. Thanks for the assist on Joe's thread. things are moving right along now.

happy 4th to you as well.
SERIOUSLY my pleasure, Jerry... "Pay it Forward", ya feel me? Not cuz I NEED to, cuz I want to! Really love it when I can help someone save time or money! (Or wasting either of the two on something that's just, well, .... a WASTE OF EITHER! hahaha). You and your kid, ...man, that is REALLY something that makes it one of my fav threads, Jerry, honest! I CAN'T WAIT till you're both doing vid's of his first adventure, etc!!!!

Originally Posted by jiffylubej42
mark, it's not uncommon for a seal to be a little mishaped not that ucould see ...then added heat adjust it so to speak . great scifi movie the human centipede well maybe not scifi but wow and happy forth to you and try to enjoy it without touching the yota.....jeff
Yeah? Could be, ..it was a Napa SKF, after all! lol. Nah, they've been pretty good to me in the past... not sure what happened, or if it's over, but IT SEEMS, ........... I am not leaking a DROP, ANYWHERE! OF ANYTHING! lol. I know, that could change at any time....but there is NOTHING on this vehicle I wouldn't TRY to fix, myself, including wiring!(EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK ) HAHAHA...... meh, even that, it's LEARNED, ONCE IT'S LEARNED, RIGHT? .....not something you wanna 'mess up while learning', lol...but I do things right, not like the spaghetti soup cook who had his hands on my rig before me! lol.

Centipede? HOLY CRAPULA, BY ALL THAT IS HOLY, honestly, ....that is one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen, man! Clever horror I suppose, and I IN NO WAY mean to be insulting, ...we all have diff. tastes, yeah? lol.... but WOW, ....the whole way he sewed them, dude? GOOD GAWWWWWWWWD! I could barely hold my dinner, and seriously? I'M A FAN OF SERIOUS HORROR LIKE 'HIGH TENSION', 'MANIAC', 'SEVEN', 'FEED'(WOW, another doozy! lol... I DARE YOU! hahaha).....OOh, and I really liked "Suspect Zero" with Sir Ben Kingsley(wait, ...wth am I doing calling him a Sir? lol..... oh well, do love his skills! meh hahah). (PS> Try "Running Scared" with Paul Walker, too... I KNOW, "Paul Walker you say? BLECH!", ..... but really, it is by farrrrrr his best movie, and it's very clever! Just very disturbing at points....and tons of 'f-bombs', lol. I BET you like it, ...let me know, k? If not, I would never be insulted, lol.

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
your CRV brake issue: what brand of brake pads did you get? if you used anything but honda brake pads, the noise is due to aftermarket pads. you brakes still drag even when nothing braking so im sure the noise you still get when not braking is due to them dragging and causing the sound similar to if you where braking.
Really? CRAP! lol. Tried to save them some cabbage...they were the top ones at o'reilly..... raybestos premium ceramic i think? I will look into it further, but if I can't figure it out.... the noises have me a lil tripped out, might ask a pro for his opinion in person, ya know? Honda guys probably know right off, and I KNOW, you're one of the, right? hahaha.

Originally Posted by 87 'runner boosted
Thanks Chef you should hit up my thread sometime Could definitely use some advice on it. And I hear ya about the trans stuff man...I just know that transmissions arent very difficult, usually just people are more scared to get into them than anything. And like your trans man said, likely just needs synchros, bearing and seals.

I WILL hit that thread, Boosted... Dangit, I kept having to run out last 24hrs.... and wanted to, just overwhelmed, kept forgetting! Will do, tonight.

Far as the trans... yeah, if I have a week or something off... I WILL do it myself..... I researched the job a bit last night..... 8 hours, they say, of actual hands on stuff... basically cuz you have to do so many different pressings of stuff on, different torque values, PERFECT lining up of things, "don't forget this!" type stuff.... so I bet that means 2 days for me, right? hahaha. That's fine, btw.... 2days? Nothin! Maybe AA Gear will give me a deal on all the stuff, and I could have my machinist, Phil, press everything in for me. He seemed very knowledgeable of that stuff, ... A guy brought in a Subaru WRX SC'd Trans Gear set in(3rd and 4th I think?) and he looked and immediately said, "Subaru, eh? Who screwed this up, your stupid arse?" hahahaha. Anyway, I would trust him to press the stuff on for me, no doubt! If I could do it and the T-case for under 300$? YEP, Then it'd be worth it to me.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread