86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Still hoping for input on anyone who has a site with a kit? I did find this.......

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...l#post51224230

Then, on the trans, I found this guy near me, .... two options, rebuilt carcass....

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...461225387.html

Same guy, used Trans w/everything, it appears.........

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...457080380.html

Either way, 6 mo. guarantee...... Hmmmm, I would think a Rebuilt trans would have a better/longer guarantee, .... Maybe for 1200$, eh? lol.

The used one, if fine, would still leave me wanting to install new seals, swap out my input shaft seal housing and shifter socket/bushing kit from MCrawler....

All in all, I have to decide whether to just re-seal my T-case/trans-leaking into t-case issues, or just bite the bullet now. REALLY tight, at this point, on cabbage... but I guess at some point, I wont have a choice.

I am starting to wonder; If the Trans IS, indeed, leaking into the t-case(don't see how it could get MORE FULL any other way, lol)....then maybe that's what has caused some 'more dramatic signs' with my syncro in 4th, etc. Either way, I KNOW, the Trans is on borrowed time, I get it... Just that, well, like with the rest I've had to deal with.... I just want to do it right, the first time, and be done with it! lol.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That doesn't seem like much warranty for a rebuilt trans, price is about what I was quoted for rebuilding mine, odd that the rear seal went bad after a fluid change, if it can happen seems its gonna happen to you buddy sorry. Not sure what I would do man sorry I got no advice. I did see trail gear has a t case service kit if your still looking at maybe going that way.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:24 AM

Hey Jason, ...thanks man. I guess I'm losing input lately, lol....

I'm trying to figure out how to do the front seal that would be leaking into the T-case, through the Transmission. The FSM says to "drop the trans" plus many extra goodies, in order to deal with the taking apart of the T-case, etc. Now, ...I KNOW the FSM is MUCH better in many cases.... but in this one, I thought you could remove the T-case w/out removing the TRANS..... Maybe that's only if you're Houdini! lol.

If it is the case, if I have to remove the trans, ...I don't wanna do it twice, I suppose I'd have to just replace it at that time. SON OF A CHICKEN NUGGET!

QUESTION;

Has anyone replaced that, what Toyota apparently calls the "Rear Transmission Output Seal" on one of these W56 trans/T-case without dropping the trans???????
Old 06-29-2011, 10:34 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Chef, I know you can take the transfer case off the trans without dropping the whole trans. I can't find it, but there was a thread(not on yotatech) that showed a guy taking the transfer off his R150f while in the truck, and then putting on an Inchworm v6 to gear driven t-case adapter.
I have worked on both the w56 and the R150, similar in disassemble. Getting that seal out shouldn't be too difficult, i did mine with channel locks, and carefully pried it out(it has a metal ring that keeps it snug to the trans housing.

hope that helps,
Old 06-29-2011, 01:20 PM

Hey Guys, (Thanks for the Call, Jason,...sorry I missed ya!... left you a message)

Well, ..... I guess I'm once again left with the decision to "do what I can to keep it going" or DO IT AND BE DONE! lol.

Spoke to AA Gear and Shafts in Los Angeles, CA, to a nice man who informed me that the MAX rebuild price on my trans would be 550$.... minimal 350$ if he just replaced the #4 Syncro, .... I told him I want it all gone through. I guess we'll see from here.

QUESTION; What is the tube in the picture here for? Is it for the AutoLocking System I used to have?

PS> Thanks, RB!!!! Just need some answers here as I decide what to do/what I can afford/etc., at the moment.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-29-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:06 PM

Mark that is your spedo cable.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Mark that is your spedo cable.
THANX...... I could have sworn the Speedo stuff worked off the trans. I can't seem to find that thingy(speedo cable, lol) in the Haynes, ..... it is vague, but mentions removing 'this and that' from the trans OR THE t-case("if applicable") GAWWWWD, ....I hate when things are too vague... I can fish through the complicated more detailed stuff, eventually, ...but if the info isn't there, it ISN'T THERE, RIGHT? lol.

Seriously , thanks, jason, ...I'm not sure why, I thought the Speedo cable was only on the trans. Hmmmm, lol. ...Oh well, s'all good, at least I'm learn'n thangs! lol.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:57 PM

I tell ya, guys, .... if it's not one thing it's another! I need to figure some things out now, first, before I bite the bullet. Why? >>> Another financial crises with one of the kiddo's....

So, I might end up HAVING TO, for now, remove the T-case and reseal it front and back for now.

STRANGE THING; When I pulled the trans check/fill plug on the TRANSMISSION....it didn't drain out like crazy, but it was right there, ....I put a stick in to measure how much I'd lost and, well, ....it's right up to the top! WTH? ONLY thing I can think of is that, ...IF IT'S NOT leaking into the transfer case from the trans through the seals, ....then i would THINK that it was somehow overfilled.... but I'm not sure that's even possible, is it? If anything leaked into the T-case from the Trans, it would be SO MINIMAL, I can't see how it would have made it so overfull that it would be blowing all over the place.

Also, when i look upward from the rear seal, IT WAS DEFINITELY the source for MUCH of the fluid all over the place.

If I CAN'T afford the trans right now, I have to at least replace the seals, so I ordered them and the gaskets from Toyota, and will pick them up tomorrow. With my 25%, it appears to be around 50$ total for all 3 seals and 3 gaskets. Even if I have the money to do the trans, SOMEHOW, lol.....I'd at least have the seals and gaskets to give the trans shop, so it would be done right, ya know? My trans doesn't seem to leak from anywhere(except, of course, MAYBE from the rear seal that might be leaking into the t-case)..... And if the trans shop does it, well, they'll obviously do every seal and such,....so again, WE'LL SEE! GRRR!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:36 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

help me buddy. help me. (on Joe's thread)
Old 06-29-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY

help me buddy. help me. (on Joe's thread)
Did my best, so far, Jerry... I WOULD LOVE to be able to help you out in some way..... you've always tried your best to do so for me

Maybe you could take a lil video or pic, explaining, with paintshop, arrows, exactly what's hindering your installation?

PS> Anyone who reads this, who might have an idea why Jerry, above(92toy) is having problems installing the slave cyl on his sons 88, ....go to the link in his SIG for "Joes Build Thread"

THANKS!
Old 06-29-2011, 10:41 PM

Well, I dropped the driveshaft on the rear)Propped it up to the side but level with the union using a jack stand, so as to NOT leave the weight of the shaft hanging on the rear seal in the new to me diff!) and freed up the stake nut 'stakeage' lol.... but I am 32MM(or whatever it is) socket'LESS! lol.

Yeah, with a new emergency fund succubus of around 300$, I'm kinda weighing out whether to just TRY to drive it for a while with the new rear seal on it. Yeah, that could change OVER NIGHT, granting I get some extra work going on the side(I'M PUSHING MY NAME in the right circles, ....which I've had to avoid doing due to THIS FREAKIN TRUCK! hahaha. Oh, yeah, and work almost every day and kids with needs and, ... oh NVM, I'm not whining, just facts... haha) So, WE'LL SEE! Either way, the trans WILL get done.... and I pick up the seal and stake nut from Toyota in the morn, ..... and hope to pillage for a socket from my neighbor who is SWIMMING IN MILLIONS OF TOOLS! lol.

OH, AND........ my second can of R12 Oil Charge Came in... will be slapping that stuff in asap, and my system still seems to be full, clear and re'2'go! PLEASE, LORD, ....let me keep the air for at least the SUMMER??????? thank you! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-29-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:46 PM

Id give drivin around with the new seal and nut a try. I mean what can it hurt right? If it dont work THEN you do what you can in the means replacement or whatever.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:27 PM

I hear ya.... Yeah, it's not what I WANT to do, but I might not have a choice for now, lol. If I can find a 30MM socket, Harbor Freight Seal Puller(like on 4crawler's Pinion seal cheap tricks page), and some time tomorrow, I will probably do it. After all, ...even when I pull the trans, etc., ....they'll probably reseal the whole thing for me, anyway(not sure how much extra, ...might do that myself, then just bolt it up to the rebuilt trans and slap it in, CAREFULLY! lol.) I still can't figure out how the trans could be leaking SO MUCH into the t-case over 1200 miles, .....and yet the trans doesn't seem to have dropped hardly at all in gear oil?????????? Whatever, I'm sure every seal on this 'ran dry twice' trans is history, ...and apparently, I did pretty good for never having had it rebuilt or even touched in 262K miles? lol. Hey, at least the T-case works flawlessly every time I've slapped in 4wd, and obviously, it's driving the rear axle so far, .....

Maybe the new to me locked rear end has again put just that lillllllll extra pressure on things?
Old 06-29-2011, 11:40 PM

If you decide you don't want your locked rear end mark, I'll trade ya for mine lol

J/k! You got some good advice it looks like mark. Best thing to do really is process of elimination. Hope things work out for you buddy! Though I'd show a lil support!
Old 06-29-2011, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I hear ya.... Yeah, it's not what I WANT to do, but I might not have a choice for now, lol. If I can find a 30MM socket, Harbor Freight Seal Puller(like on 4crawler's Pinion seal cheap tricks page), and some time tomorrow, I will probably do it. After all, ...even when I pull the trans, etc., ....they'll probably reseal the whole thing for me, anyway(not sure how much extra, ...might do that myself, then just bolt it up to the rebuilt trans and slap it in, CAREFULLY! lol.) I still can't figure out how the trans could be leaking SO MUCH into the t-case over 1200 miles, .....and yet the trans doesn't seem to have dropped hardly at all in gear oil?????????? Whatever, I'm sure every seal on this 'ran dry twice' trans is history, ...and apparently, I did pretty good for never having had it rebuilt or even touched in 262K miles? lol. Hey, at least the T-case works flawlessly every time I've slapped in 4wd, and obviously, it's driving the rear axle so far, .....

Maybe the new to me locked rear end has again put just that lillllllll extra pressure on things?
That could be. Ya never know. Its not like we havnt seen stranger things eh? haha
Old 06-30-2011, 02:49 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Did my best, so far, Jerry... I WOULD LOVE to be able to help you out in some way..... you've always tried your best to do so for me

Maybe you could take a lil video or pic, explaining, with paintshop, arrows, exactly what's hindering your installation?

PS> Anyone who reads this, who might have an idea why Jerry, above(92toy) is having problems installing the slave cyl on his sons 88, ....go to the link in his SIG for "Joes Build Thread"

THANKS!
bless you man.

i get so GD aggravated with this crap....it's a wonder I didn't put the motor in backwards or upside-down.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
bless you man.

i get so GD aggravated with this crap....it's a wonder I didn't put the motor in backwards or upside-down.
No problem, .....just wish it was helpful! lol. I guess the FSM is nearly as vague as the Haynes on this one...(except for the soap grease portion! lol).
Old 06-30-2011, 08:50 AM

it is what made the seal bad that needs fixing
Old 06-30-2011, 01:35 PM

Well, it appears that, at least for a month or so, I'm screwed on the "Rebuilt Trans" Wishes! ..... Hey, I'm just grateful I can help out when I'm needed.... and I can't just spend like I want to, as in my youth! lol.

So, for now, I'm sealing up the front and rear shaft union seals and the rear output shaft seal from the trans-to-transfer case(which also means a gasket). Picked up the union seals today, one stake nut, and will pick up the trans/t-case seal and gasket, tomorrow, ..... Hopefully I can find the time to pull the thing, tonight, AFTER I replace the union seals.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by mfwimg82
it is what made the seal bad that needs fixing

??? Please expound Mike ???

I'm guessing you mean "it's just gonna blow another seal if you don't fix the problem", .... I think just being 262K, then going through 2 drainings of the trans freed up a bunch of MUCK that was keeping it fairly sealed. I think it's been doing this for a while, but can only assume that the 2 drains and refills of the trans, then the moving of the trans a lil to hold up while the motor was out, etc., ...maybe that, the new lil more cumbersome locked rear end? Can't know, for sure, but as long as the splines look ok, ...I'll just have to seal it up and hope for the best.

Everyone, I got some stuff today at Lowes, HFreight and O'Rielly's.... I'll share some pics when I come back, heading out for a couple more errands. DANGIT! lol. Wanna get started on thissss! hahaha..

PS> GOOD TO HEAR FROM YA, MIKE! You've been ok, I hope??

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread