86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry the bushing didnt help but as said its not a waste you can reuse the sifter if and when it comes time for a new tranny.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Toyo, ...not sure what you mean. Made what sound worse than it was? The PINGGGGGGK? The "Clunk"ing? The Trans in 4th? Just wanna figure out so I can clarify.

1st; The clunking in the rear is less only because i'm adjusting how I drive it. But when I backed up in the vid out of the garage? It was pretty much 'kerplunk'! lol. Like when you put an auto that's slippin in drive from park or from reverse to drive, and it goes 'KLUNK'! it's literally that obvious... yeah, probably the vid doesn't show it well... it's hard cuz of the echo in there, and I should have just left the cam in the truck while I did it, ..I could hear it clearly in the truck, feel it as well, very clearly.

2nd; Yes, it has been doing it VERY SLIGHTLY before I added these thirds(the kerplunking into forward motion i mean).... but it's definitely more dramatic with this third in(Could very well be the locker, etc.)

3rd; The "PINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGK" snapping sound only happened a couple times the first day of driving with the second HG in, lol..... Dang that sounds terrible to have to say that, lol... Anyway, it hasn't done it since.... It either was something breaking, breaking in, or whatever...not sure, I can't reproduce it, ya know? Could even have been a combo of the play in the rear and the T-case popping or something?

4th; 4th gear has given me issues fora while....but it was NEVER trouble getting into 4th....rather, it was trouble 'popping out' of 4th, before.... I'd be on a hill, downward, and it would just pop out of gear out of nowhere. It hadn't done that for a while since about 4 thousand miles ago.... So I just found it a LIL odd that this started after all the work. I'm starting to REALLY think that whatever that "PINGGGGGGGGGK" was, .....it had something to do with a syncro snapping or twanging on something.... The problem is, ...it seemed to give me trouble with 4th gear before that noise/right after the first run(Can't remember, to be honest... I drove it around the block when the HG blew, but I don't think it ever got into 4th, didn't try, cuz it was steaming so much, ya know?) .... Could have just been the load of the locker and such just finally took something out, very possible, ya know?

I know, it's the net, ...hard as heck sometimes to purvey what exactly is going on and even harder at times to 'guess' what something might be for you guys.

I will ask someone what they might charge to do the syncro..... Since every other gear works ok, I guess that would be the wisest move, right?(I mean, never know what I'll get from a used trans, right? Different problems, ...NONE ONLY if I'm lucky! lol)

PS> Jason, oh yeah, I know....and it FEELS BETTER, no doubt, tightness wise... Just didn't help the major issue. I didn't think it would, to be honest, but it couldn't hurt to do this, right? lol. Funny thing is, ...my socket andddddd cup portion were both 100% in tact, 262K Miles in! lol. The rubber cup thing was even soft, and the socket gave me a hard time indeed, coming off, hahaha. The new one is MUCH tighter, however, so it's not a loss, I agree!

PSS> I will be probably trying some Lucas 85W-140 or something in the trans... Just a last ditch try to 'HELP' it a lil? I think I saw some 85W-110 at Napa... might instead go that route, not quite so thick, lol. Also gonna throw some thicker stuff in the locked third, know? Someone told me "redline WILL HELP, ..just get it thicker than 75W-90 if possible".

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-16-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im not to worried about figuring out the trans noise, the trans needs to be rebuilt. when and if you do get it rebuilt, i would have the guy doing the work test drive it, so he knows more or less what should be replaced while he is in there.

i still trying to figure out the rear end noise if its normal or not. also did you regear? might just be putting more stress on the trans and what ever was going out is really starting to show since the symptoms your having was before the new 3rds. who built your 3rds and did you check the pattern before installing them to see if they were correct
Old 06-16-2011, 06:16 PM

Hey chef sounds great in the video man as for the rear end i have nothing but good things bout lucas oil mayb give it a shot see if that helps with the noises. The tranny i vote to replace when the time comes as of now enjoy all you the hard work you have put into the ol girl. Glad to hear you got all your leaks worked out. Tthe ride height looks awesome keep up the work cant wait to see whats next

P.S Dnt kno what happened i missed the part with you tryn the lucas

Last edited by baddest94; 06-16-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:17 PM

Hey Toyo, ...I hear ya, ...........

Yeah, they're 4;30's, instead of my 4;10's, ...and Yotarob, who commented not long ago got them to me, .... locker already installed, ... He'd been using them for quite a few trips(bout a year I think?) and never had an issue, once.....

Whatever is 'clunk'n'...... it's not as strange as when I turn into a parking spot while feathering the clutch, and it suddenly wants to chirp right off the ground, lol. Think I need to just learn that part of it as well. I can see it effecting my wheeling, until I do, ya know?
Old 06-16-2011, 06:21 PM

any noise your having when making turns, im gonna have to say its the locker. most guys that dd with auto lockers have to coast around turns with no gas or be in N. having certain oils can help with the noise as well. they say it sucks when they are at a light and have to make a turn, its hard to be off the gas since you werent moving before lol

like baddest94, just rock the trans till you cant drive it anymore, which imo could be a while lol.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:05 PM

Hey Baddest, THANKS! Always good to hear from ya!

Toyo, .... yeah, I've been reading quite a bit of that, lol. Only thing that concerns me is that, when I'm creeping through lots of back and forth stuff deep in the woods, near creeks, etc.(which is mostly when I wheel what I'm wheeling through).... that I'll be in this turn or that, cruising around something, then the thing chatters me right into a rut! lol. I know.... I'll figure it out quickly. I had a detroit locker in my 70 CST Blazer(350x4spd. 4bolt main), and it WAS a lil different, ...not quite like this much, ya know?

I have a feeling that, as long as I can deal with/push it/force it into 4th, ......I agree that it will keep going. I've heard nothing but "these transmissions almost NEVER just totally explode", lol. However, .....I've heard the Transfer Cases on them are even more indestructible.

So far, ...I've not found a single drop of anything! (I don't believe in 'jinx' stuff or any of that.... and besides, I CAN'T POSSIBLY have any worse circumstances/freakish-results than I've had thus far, lol.) I have to get under there and check in the same place for what might be a TINY Rear main leak.... but as you all know.... if I am in there for a trans, that'll be dealt with if it's an issue, ya know?

PS> I have some pics of the looks of things when I pulled the head for the HG failure, etc. I'll post them in the next one.... THANX, GUYS!
Old 06-16-2011, 09:15 PM

Chef, you coulda done some mean engine conversion for what you have time and money wise into your runner. OM617 woulda fit in there real nice!
Old 06-16-2011, 09:17 PM

Last week, before I disassembled and reassembled again, I drained off the oil, pulled the valve cover and found this.........

[/IMG]

As most of you already know..... it's been addressed and is 'MILK/RAW, UNFILTERED HONEY FREE! lol.

I'm going to do lunch for an early Fathers Day with my daughters, tomorrow, and then hopefully drive out to AZ on Sat., Sunday at the latest in the AM. I also hope to have my A/C charged up, tomorrow, before I head out into the desert.... But I think it might just be a good idea to hold off on that until it's gotten to around 500 miles, ya know? Any thoughts on that? I spent 4 years in PHX(hottest years on record of 28 years at the time)...so, I can handle the heat, ....IF I HAVE TO! lol. I'm also going to re-check the valves and head bolts....CAN'T HURT, EH? lol.

EDIT; Not sure why, but it's not letting me post pics!

PS> yeah, Truckman.... You're probably right, lol... But, if I was more of a 'swap' experienced guy, I might have tried the 3RZ, if anything... but, while I LOVE a challenge, and I'm SURE I could do it with time and with plenty of prep(tearing the dash apart, new harness stuffs, etc.)... I couldn't have afforded the cost or RISK of too much time in the end, .....and I don't know, I just had to believe that, after having 6 of these motors for over a quarter million miles each, ... I just had some bad hands of circumstance on this last years events with this last one(obviously, the last machinist SCREWED ME, lol....but some bad hands as well, yeah? lol). I wanted to make it work, once and for all. Besides, ...I already had all the stuff's, including header, etc., and really only spent around 650$, total, on machining, short block and head job, parts/oil, including a resurface of my flywheel, all the A-arm bushings removed/installed, ............and then got to help machine it and assembled most all of it.... I think I did pretty good, ya know? lol. What I REALLY want is a 1UZ Swap under my belt in the next 2 years.... that's my goal(gotta find a 'husk' without 'rust', ready to fill with the V8 Sweety I've always wanted in one of these.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-16-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I dont know much about trannys other than swapping and clutches, wish I could help you. But a quote on the syncros or other problems isnt going to cost you. Just enjoy checking in on you and see what you are doing next.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:10 PM

nice rig chef, that bad boy starts right up! i grew up on a street with peacocks in colorado. thought it was cool when i heard it on the video. nice work, relax and enjoy it for a little bit now...
Old 06-17-2011, 08:59 PM

Thanks, Terry, ...>yeah, me neither~! lol. I'll learn, eventually though, it seems, hahaha. Gotta start sometime,.. beats getting ripped everytime something goes wrong, ya know? Trans, Motor, whatever, .... I'll figure it out eventually, lol.

Thanks, Jess! Yeah, I will. I'm heading to AZ tomorrow! Hopefully, God willing, ...I wont have any issues.

Ok guys, .... I rechecked the head bolts today, ...everyone was right on at 63#, not a one was loosened after 150 miles.

I also did the Valve lash again,....wasn't too off.

Then I stopped by my A/C buddy and we loaded 1.65# of R12 and R12-oil..... ICE COLD, and I mean too cold to handle if I leave it on, lol. Hoping I did all the O-rings well and that there are no compromises in the hoses, etc. Seems to be a bit of condensation even when it's off. I'll have to figure that one out or replace a hose if there's a bad one! GRRR! lol

Should be heading out tomorrow, around 10am, if everything goes well.

PS> It DOES seem that my Rear Main is leaking a tiny bit... I'm going to double check on the rear half moon, first, just to be sure, .... it just didn't look right in there when I just put it all back together again. We'll see, but shouldn't stop me from leaving, either way.

Appreciate all the help guys, .....and I sure wish you all the best with your re-re-rebuilds! lol.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:15 AM

Glad to hear things are finally calming down for ya bud, I know it was a nightmare for you but your runner has come a very long way the past several weeks. Enjoy your trip to AZ I know you had to postpone it but your dad is gonna see your truck and that's cool.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:56 AM

Hey Jason, .....

Yeah, my buddy came by, yesterday, and I definitely need a trans here, probably sooner than I'd hoped. He has one in AZ(not that I can get yet) that I can have in August-October area. He lives there, but works here most of the year. Hopefully I can make it til then, we'll see.

Far as the leaking....I DO HAVE A friggen oil leak, ..... can't tell where it's coming from, Rear of Pan or Rear main. It's dripping down the engine side of the backing plate, but I also see it in the groove where the plate and bell housing meet(so I can't be sure if it's coming from the rear main and dripping down both sides???? Or, if it's leaking down the plate from the back of the oil pan seal, or both)... I'll check the tightness of the bolts, but I can't see that being the problem nor that it would solve it if they needed a lil more torquing.

Just a lil concerned, ...don't want to be leaking all over the clutch again after cleaning it up, nor do I want a pan leak getting more and more aggressive... but for now, I guess I have to 'hope for the best' and keep it topped off. More than concerned, ....just tired of it, man, to be honest.

Should be leaving around 10am... maybe 11am. Wish you the best with your projects, guys, and I hope the new motor is problem free, Jason!
Old 06-18-2011, 06:24 PM

Have fun chef hope everything holds together for ya
Old 06-19-2011, 10:08 AM

Well, .......... I'm in AZ, Pops is 'impressed' and tripped out on the engine for over a half hour, with the "what's this, and that?" stuff....hahahaha(he's a Yota LOVER btw..... I'll get a better pic of his Limited TRD Tundra this time..................

Anywhooooo, more on that, later, ....for now, the status.............

1. Got up early yesterday, early, checked all fluids and tire pressure, that's when I realized I have that "rear of the pan/or/rear main/or both" thing going on.... Let it go, JB tack welded the oil plug(just not sure on the 'self tapping' one, lol.

2. Drove to Barstow(for those who don't know CA, it's about Half way) without any A/C, never having a single heat up, etc... and it drove over the passes NO PROBLEM(another CA reference for the 15HWY pass, heading out toward Las Vegas from Los Angeles.... it's quite a climb for around 40 miles, on and off).... I actually USED to have problems getting over many of these inclines in anything but 3rd gear, doing 45-50..... this time, mostly 5TH GEAR, DOING 70, COULD HAVE DONE MORE! I did have to do 4th gear a couple times, but only a couple, and NEVER, not once, dropped under 65!

3. What really blew my mind is that I was able to run the A/C at least half of the way through the hottest portion of the desert, without ever getting a single rise out of the thermometer and even more trippy.... I never seemed to lose power, AT ALL, .... Negligible if any.

All in all it PERFORMED, and Fantastically! I will be stopping by LCE this time if I can, for sure.... Just wanna see if they have a 'clearance' table! lol.

Thanks a lot for the well wishins.... I'll be hitting the lake with the top off(nephew asked, lol), asap, maybe even towing the 1600CC SeaDoo down there with my Ruby Red, lol.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:27 AM

great news mark glad all finaly seems well with your rig, enjoy your trip buddy and be safe heading back.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
70 over the cajon pass.... that is very impressive..

I am very jealous
Old 06-19-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
great news mark glad all finaly seems well with your rig, enjoy your trip buddy and be safe heading back.
Will do, Buddy! Promise. Enjoy your Yeller Beauty!

Originally Posted by Outsane
70 over the cajon pass.... that is very impressive..

I am very jealous
Yeah, I was SHOCKED! I think the New Gears helped a lil.... NOT TONS, cuz after all they're 4:30's, not 4:56 or up, but enough to maybe give me 3-5MPH more in a gear to where it keeps up to what I need, rather than having to downshift. Either way, the motor ran tight! Very strong.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-19-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice great to hear!!!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread