86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:58 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Good deal Chef, glad it's running now. I got to read back some as I think I missed what was wrong with it.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:49 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks, A LOT, homies! lol.....

I'm just hoping there are no major leaks that develop(the oil pan to block seems LEAK FREE, ....for the first time!......yet, ....the stupid plug? HAHAHAHA. Go figure,.... and while I'm ticked at the yard a lil, I can only blame myself on that one for not making CERTAINNNNNN!).... Then hope that the HG holds for that 200-300 miles or so that's so crucial....... Then hope for a way to get this oil pan drain bolt fixed without having to drop the pan

I will teflon up that drain bolt, today, then head off to the alignment shop, IF I CAN FIND A GOOD ONE! lol. Still looking :frustrated:, haha.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:38 AM

Appointment at Johnson's Alignment at 1:30pm, today. Trying to keep the oil drain plug, .....well, 'PLUGGED' up for now, lol. Can't really drive it around until I get that done, so .....since they're heading out at 2pm, I need to get my errands done in the CRV before they need it.

PS> Seemed to see a lil oil from my Oil Press. sending unit, again, ....so I snugged that up as much as was comfortable, .... I guess I'll see if it continues to create a lil leak or, worse yet, 'backs out' on me like it did that one time, shooting oil all over(made it very difficult to figure out where it was coming from, lol). I really need to do the armor all trick and locate where, if any, my leaks are.(especially since the second removal of the head caused such a mess.)

PSS> Still PRAYING that this HG will hold and let me know that it's 'good to go', ....for good! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-13-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seem to remember jiffy lubes used a special plug when they stripped out plugs ???

http://www.timesert.com/html/drainplug.html
Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 AM

you could get a self tapping plug if 12mm with 125 pitch try 12mm with 175 pitch
Old 06-13-2011, 10:23 AM

Thanks, Mike! Good lookin out! I will DEFINITELY check into that. I'm NOT EVER going to let anything go again, not unnecessarily! lol... If I'm on a road trip and something occurs, what can I do but 'work with what I got', right? But, I WILL NOT BE on a road trip until I get this sussed.

I think the rear main is indeed leaking, VERY slowly... MAN, I'm just plagued by the more 'difficult to get to' fixes, eh? lol. Not enough to stop me for now. But, anyway, I've got an appt. at Johnson's Alignment, here in Torrance, CA. Lil bit of a drive(10 miles), but I think the brand new BF's can manage that odd wearing for a short time, eh? lol. I know all the elements and how they work, now, so I'll not be ripped off. The guy said, "sure, bring it down and we'll see what you did", ...to which I answered, .... "What I did was rebuild my entire suspension, and in a VERY common way, to boot....and thirdly, THEY ALWAYS need an alignment when doing these types of 'modifications' and 'refreshes'.... So I'm just wanting you guys, the pro's, to get it straight so I can DRIVE IT LIKE I OWN IT, FINALLY!" lol.

We'll see.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:35 AM

What brand rear main seal did you use? I used the Napa brand "Altrom" one that's "made in Japan" for the front main and the rear main and they BOTH LEAKED! The rear one sucked to replace cause the trans had to come back out(and with dual cases that thing is NOT light!).. But with that said i now have Toyota OEM seals in the front and back and they are perfect! No leaks!

PS... and i only drove mine for about 100 miles and the engine oil had already made its way the the flywheel,but luckily didn't contaminate the clutch disc!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
chef = perseverance
Old 06-13-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by spc mike
What brand rear main seal did you use? I used the Napa brand "Altrom" one that's "made in Japan" for the front main and the rear main and they BOTH LEAKED! The rear one sucked to replace cause the trans had to come back out(and with dual cases that thing is NOT light!).. But with that said i now have Toyota OEM seals in the front and back and they are perfect! No leaks!

PS... and i only drove mine for about 100 miles and the engine oil had already made its way the the flywheel,but luckily didn't contaminate the clutch disc!
Hmmm, interesting you ask, because the front is, INDEED, a Napa seal...and doesn't leak................ but the rear is, as well, a NAPA!..... and it's apparently leaking! COULD be the trans input shaft seal I did, ...but I doubt it, as the liquid doesn't smell like Gear Oil! GRRRRRRRRRR! It might just be residual crap in the crevasses, working it's way out as the block and such get hot...................(I CAN PRAY, RIGHT? LOL)..... we'll see.

Originally Posted by Outsane
chef = perseverance
Thanks, man,....... I guess some would have given up, but I DOUBT many on this site would have. Pretty insane, in my personal experience.... Makes ya start to doubt you're doing ANYTHINGGGGGGGG right~! lol.

Appreciate the Prop's, Home'slice!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:17 PM

Hey Guys, .........

Ok, well, ..... it's seeming to hold, the HG that is. There are no major oil leaks,....and it's holding a steady temp, etc.

PROBLEM:

** When I go to take off, I have a definite clunk in the rear end, compared to my 4:10's. In fact, when I went to take off, a couple times, it would start off as I let out the clutch and then 'PINGGGGG', REALLY loud! Not sure if 'ping' is the right descriptive... but it sounds like someone is taking a hammer and smacking the rear end really hard, ....Maybe "CLINK/CLUNK"(really loud) is a better description. I notice the difference from the locker, turning corners, etc., ...but it just seems like this is something more, well, 'serious'. (Was only able to get under there, just 20 minutes ago, just to feel/look around; When I turn the rear driveshaft, it turns almost 25% of a full revolution/maybe a lil less/more/ before grabbing, either way.)

** MY OTHER PROBLEM; Is, when I take off in first, even second as I'm going, I'm feeling a bit of a clunk and then 3rd seems somewhat quiet..... and then in 4th, 'GRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTT', it REALLY doesn't wanna get into that gear. In fact, I almost have to dry shift to get it in at around 35, anything over that, it's REALLY not cooperating.

(Just some notes on the latter one.....)

1. I have all new fluid in there, and it's not the 80W-90 that I used before, ...it's 75W-90, Castrol GTX I believe.

2. The machinist "touched up"(??) my flywheel, and I cleaned up the entire clutch assembly before re-installation, torqued the flywheel to the proper 80# on the bolts, it's a fairly new Clutch master and slave, .......and, well, while I ALWAYS had a lil problem from time to time with 4th gear.... NEVER anything like this, and I can't figure out if it has anything to do with the clutch/ or if he took too much off the flywheel or not! Lil TICKED, as.................

2-a. I went by CA Transmissions today, the guy was very helpful, and he explained to me how the Trans' on these worked, .... (can't remember all the parts he listed, but>>>) and he drove it too, and said, "Wow, ...yeah, I feel that, and not sure if the fork in there or the sleeve/blackspline(? somethin like that) has/is gone/going bad....but it FEELS like this trans is just really tired and, well, the not going into 4th thing, that's not going to get any better,.....and I REALLY don't think it has much to do with the clutch, Mark, ..... that would be giving you HUGE problems in EVERY gear, not just fourth,......plus, you said it has always given you issues?".................. SO NOW, ..........who knows.

QUESTION;

What should I pay for a trans for this thing?????????? The thing is, while it wasn't perfect, ....I NEVER had a problem like this before. Also, coulddddddddd it be related to the clutch, and just because 4th always did that VERY RARELY, .... is it possible that the clutch/flywheel relationship is causing 'JUST A LILLLLLLLLLL BIT more difficulty' in masking the 4th gear issue????????????????
Old 06-13-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
used trans: about $200. at least around here. not sure about you west-coast boys.

and i'm not sure on how to fix that stuff. it seems like anything that isn't already on the forums is happening to your truck... when will it stop?!? (soon, i hope!)

as always, good luck
Old 06-13-2011, 08:57 PM

Well, all I can say is its DEFINITELY not the clutch. The clutch has absolutely nothing to do with the shifter at all. So your good there. Unfortunately, I've seen this happen before...and when we tore apart said transmission, there was badly worn linkage, and it needed to be replaced. What happened was the part that keeps the shifter in the gear its suppose to be in, was worn so bad that it kept popping out of 4th.

As far as price goes, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe they go between $100-$400 used, Theres a few junk yards around here that might have a good used one, because there are a LOT of toyotas in the local junk yards....I could do some calling around for ya buddy, soon as I have some time after work!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:00 PM

Just going to throw this out there: If your truck starts working properly we're still going to like you!
More seriously though, there's a good chance if you're now finding issues with your xmission it's taken the brunt of the past troubles. My father always told me the only things that can hurt a transmission is heat or shock (and he's never been wrong-he would have told me ). It's probably been subjected to both during your engine issues. If you're leaning towards a new tranny- Myself, I love the W56. It's been in every runner I've owned and I've never had an issue. I might be a bad example though, because all my engines have looked like crap, never been tuned, been covered in undercoat oil to the point that I'd never notice a leak, and just keep trucking in their underpowered way. There's a good chance I couldn't shock my transmission if I tried.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:33 PM

Hey guys, THANKS, ...I need it to keep coming, the 2Cents stuff's, I mean...........

Just to clarify..... it's not as much 'popping out' of 4th gear, as it used to, as it is NOT WANTING TO GO IN AT ALL! If I slow down to 35, then just dry shift as I let off the gas, it will kinda 'pop' in, gently, ON OCCASION, today....... but more often, it's 'GRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTINGGGGGDDDDDDDDD', lol. I'm sure it's related to the SAME issue as it's always been. Funny thing is, ....

A couple years ago.... started REALLY giving me trouble shifting. I checked fluid level, where suddenly I realized that the drain bolt had been leaking, BAD. It was VERY low, ... took over a gallon. The 'popping out of 4th and bad shifting at times throughout' stuff that I was experiencing when it was dry had pretty much all gone away, ....still occasionally would pop out of fourth on a hill, etc.

THIS???? The whole driveline feels like CRAP! I'm only guessing, and I want to make that clear, ....but I think that my new to me rear third is 'not so happy', either. It's not making any real 'grinding' or otherwise noise... so I can't be sure, AT ALL, that it's ALSO giving me issues, on top of the trans(issues, meaning, the 'CLINKKKKKKKKKKK', ALMOST 'PINGGGGGGGGGKKK' noise that i've heard, today, for the first time, EVER, more than once).

I've drained and filled this trans before, ....and it's never given me any REALLY BAD problems. The ONLY thing I changed, construction of things-wise....., is that I replaced that input shaft seal and removed all the, what looked like, RTV from the back of that bearing housing, that they had literally running on the 2 bearings in the front of the trans.

It also, today, felt like it was about to chirp itself to death as I came around a turn a couple times today, taking off in first or parking lot in first, turning stuff.

I REALLY need to be done with this, guys..... I'm not 'losing it', but I'm close. ANYYYYYYYYY help or professional Trans advice, guessing, ...whatever would be GREAT!

It's like I'm watching this thing COME UNDONE on me!

PS> LOTS had changed since I pulled the motor last month(suspension, new to me thirds, etc.).... But the only things I've done to the trans is drain, refill, changed out the input shaft seal and CLEANED that sucker up!

PSS> Once it's cruising, it feels fine! The trans that is.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-13-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by irab88
used trans: about $200. at least around here. not sure about you west-coast boys.

and i'm not sure on how to fix that stuff. it seems like anything that isn't already on the forums is happening to your truck... when will it stop?!? (soon, i hope!)

as always, good luck
that was the first # that popped into my head! you read my mind!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by truckman1966
that was the first # that popped into my head! you read my mind!

Any professional thoughts on this one, Truckman?? Started to think, even if the new Third is fine... could the New to me-Locked Rear end be a lil harder on the old buggered trans?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:34 PM

I'm no pro, but I do know that if one ore more parts are bad, it will effect other parts as well until they are replaced or fixed. It COULD be something as simple as a worn out shifter bushing, or it could really have internal issues. (the trans I mean) As far as the third is concerned, What kind of locker is it again? I was more than likely going to get an auto locker, and just deal with the chirping, because auto lockers tend to do that on corners, hence the appeal of selectable lockers.

I've heard of some issues with thirds by improperly tightened flange nuts, but never heard anything like your issue before. At least not with the third, my driveline did that noise thing once but that was due to a detonated U-joint. Have you checked those?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:03 PM

chef i new a guy who took his transmission apart only to find that the little bushing on the shift fork was worn slap out and that was the reason he didn't have 3rd and sometimes 4th and its not all that expensive or hard to get to part i would check that first
on the rear third issue cant remember if you put in new u joints or not but if you haven't it might be possible they where tired and the added force of lower gears and a locker just pushed them over the edge also did you tighten anything or loosen anything when putting them in they may be wearing a groove because of the last vehicle that had them was a auto and didn't cause them to wear the same as your manual but i could be way off with the last part just a thought
Old 06-14-2011, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Chef.. Seems like problems just keep coming your way. At first, I wanted to say it sounded like a U-joint. But the shifter problem could be a easy fix. I have replaced the bushing before, as it can get broken and be hard to shift. It is fairly cheap and if you have to replace your tranny, you could just reuse the parts. I had one busted on one and it was difficult to get into 3rd gear.

Is your lift compatible with your 3rd member? Whats the angle look like? I think you got one part that doesnt want to play with the other parts to well.

I would be tempted to take it to the way it was before and you upgraded your third and see what changes. I could see where it could possibly be transmitting problems up and down your drive train, making you think several things are wrong.

I just got off of the 84-85 board and seen a similar problem on theirs, they were saying to lube the slip yokes.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...ver-ball-seats Bushing I was talking about.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/gu...t-installation

Last edited by Terrys87; 06-14-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:00 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Are all your drive shaft fittings greased? I've had similar issues(not the shifting) due to a dry driveshaft, it would make a definite clunk on launch.
Check to make sure all your bolts are tight, and the transmount is secure.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread