86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:28 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
PS> The dowel pin might have done much worse than "just ruined another good gasket".... it could have cracked my head up in there at that spot in the back, while trying to force it down(by torquing the head bolts down, ...not actually KNOWINGLY forcing it down when it doesn't fit.... It DID seem to slap down on there, just fine.) I sure hope it DIDN'T do damage to the head!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey chef hate to hear its got a leak but that dowel pin you mentioned is more than likely your prob if it wasnt there the lastime. Hope there wasnt any damage done if that infact is the prob. There is one good thing i did read NO MORE TICKS YAAAAAAAAAAY lol hope you get her fixed so you can enjoy how quite she is now. Keep up the great work man love this
Old 06-11-2011, 12:37 AM

Hey guys, ...........where'd ya go? haha.... Oh yeah, ...weekend!......Sighhhh, lol. (Thanks, Baddest... hope you're well!)

After I posted last, I worked till 10, then headed out to tear it down, AGAIN, and just now came in. So far I have;

1. Drained the liquids(The Oil is INDEED like Raw/Unfiltered Honey(not quite milk yet) Water, ....well, seemed just like water, lol... Maybe a lil yucky, but I THINK only because the bucket was nasty....can't be sure on that one. Although,..everything that dripped out the intake pipes, etc., seemed totally clear.

2. Pulled the plenum and intake, Throttle body, fuel rail, injectors and IACV and pulled complete engine bay harness back(Intake was not leaking a DROP into any of the ports--not that I could tell. A lil leaked out of the front-most rectangular port when I pulled it, but I couldn't tell, yet don't THINK it was leaking before that, past the gasket/seal job I did........I was very thorough,.... I know, shocking, right? lol.

3. Cracked header to collector stuffs and all header nuts off the studs, it's ready to come out

4. Valve cover is clear of everything and ready to come off(serving as dust boot and rust preventative for now

That's it for tonight... I will probably either pull the whole thing or at least the head tomorrow, by 9AM. Wish me well, guys, ...I'm VERY MUCH flustered and perturbed by this inanimate object at this point.... but alas, it is what it is and can only work properly when it's JUST SO. I AM, however, grateful that I was not half way to Arizona when this came about, ya know?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-11-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:13 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
wow bud....hope you get it now. hopefully IS the dowel pin.

I'm gonna need ya to drive that thing out here when you are done for a proper break-in. K?
Old 06-11-2011, 04:24 AM

good luck chef !
Old 06-11-2011, 08:44 AM

Thanks, Jerry, Mike, ,.... Good Morning(afternoon for the East Coast) ,.....

Well, ..... as usual, MY PLANS/SCHEDULE are not in line with the plans that everyone else has for me~! lol. Just NOW able to head out to the rig. Hopefully my buddy, Andy, will still be able to help with where I'm at when he gets here..... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! lol. See, I want HIM here, for sure, to help me decide 'WHAT THE HELL CAUSED THIS?', ya know? Sure, it might be obvious....but as my pattern of things has been going? Yeahhhhh, lol.

Anyway, I'm on it............ and thanks for the encouragement, guys!... I'll take it, ....my hands have had just about enough of this HARD WORK AND HARD WORKING ON TRUCK FOR 18 HOUR DAYS! LOL

PS> Jerry,..... 3000 mile break in???????? lol. The whole plan on using Hastings Quick Setting Rings is to NOT have to take 5000 miles to seat, like last time...............Wait, ...that's right, .... at 5000 miles, I WAS STILL not seated! LOL.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:35 PM

Head is back on with new Gasket, dowel was not in the way, finish putting it back together tomorrow, resetting valves, yadda yadda, ........AHHHHHH, totally wiped out, man!

My buddy helped me check everything over, ...he feels it must have been just that one in 100 things where 'CRAP HAPPENS' .......well, 'happened to happen' to me, .....AGAIN! lol....

THANKS SO MUCH, ANDY, ..... I know he'll not likely check in here, but just the same, ... gotta shout out to the guy, he's been such a great help to me!(always good to have more experienced eyes on the matter, ya know?)

I'll hopefully have it all snugged up tomorrow and give it a shot. Gonna run a lil ATF in there to pull as much water out of things as possible. I caught it before it was totally milk shake, ...but it did mix a bit, so I need to get it sussed up asap, 2mrw.

I will have pics and such tomorrow, IF nothing goes wrong! lol. Hope ya'all are having a great weekend! Is it Rausch this weekend? Soon?
Old 06-11-2011, 11:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i went back a few pages. sucks about your HG. what brand HG are you using? hope it works out after this because i wanna know about how it rides with the new suspension. i thinking of order the steering stabilizer to match the rest of the OME shocks

on the toyota oil filters. i am one to use OEM oil filters on all my cars now, they are made for them unlike the fram or K&N which if you look at the list for that one part number and how many other cars they fit. its obviously they are not built to specs internally. toyota filters have an anti drain back feature which allows it to hold oil in the filter for start up, that way you always have oil flowing. another thing with running OEM filter is oil pressure. i have heard a long time ago on another forum that aftermarket oil filters affected oil pressure (most had low pressure compared to OEM) fram and K&N filters cost the same as a toyota filter.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:46 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Mark.....Rausch is in 2 weeks???...I think. planning on just driving down there and meeting the guys and then leaving. don't plan on running my truck through it again....not this year.

good luck on the do-over on the head....definitely. kinda was hoping the dowel pin was the culprit as it made sense that it would keep the head from seating right.

few other considerations and please excuse me for not going back and searching those.....what was your block from???....it IS the correct generation block eh?....timing cover....there is no step-up to the timing cover right?? I know Brandon has mentioned that issue a few times on the forum and was just wondering if this, in any way, was a concern or consideration.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559

on the toyota oil filters. i am one to use OEM oil filters on all my cars now, they are made for them unlike the fram or K&N which if you look at the list for that one part number and how many other cars they fit. its obviously they are not built to specs internally. toyota filters have an anti drain back feature which allows it to hold oil in the filter for start up, that way you always have oil flowing. another thing with running OEM filter is oil pressure. i have heard a long time ago on another forum that aftermarket oil filters affected oil pressure (most had low pressure compared to OEM) fram and K&N filters cost the same as a toyota filter.
I'm going to have to try an OEM filter to see if I notice a difference in oil pressure.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:37 AM

where is everyone ? i guess im just worried .but no news is good news!Mark,
lets see some pics of your engine running !(or videos).
Old 06-12-2011, 01:00 PM

most aftermarket filters have the anti drain back feature too. just saying. chef must be hard at work!!!
Old 06-12-2011, 01:37 PM

Hey guys, ....

Thing is, I'm so physically exhausted, I actually PURPOSELY took extra time on everything, this time, as I was catching myself looking for things I'd already put back on, etc. I'm just totally overwhelmed, at this point, guys, regarding this 're-rebuild', the installation order of things(which should not be the case, IN ANY AMOUNT, when it pertains to ME! lol).... and I'm really cramping up, pretty bad. So, just taking my time. I have the laptop with me out here,......but no camera, and yet, I should by start up time. I'm not going to get all worked up or overly hopeful, ...not that I doubt my work, etc., ...it's just that, well, IF THERE IS something wrong, it's got nothing to do with the 'installer/s'..... it would have to be more 'precision' relative.(I.e.; NOT ME) lol.

Take care, guys, ...hope you have a great day off. I'll get back in touch in a bit.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
most aftermarket filters have the anti drain back feature too. just saying. chef must be hard at work!!!
Bingo!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:45 PM

Hey Guys, .....

I spent the entire day, pretty much, cleaning up and reassembling the motor.... then around 5:45 I fired it up..........

30 minutes later, no HG leak, and even with the residual water that I'm sure was in there, almost no steaming, other than initial condensation. Drove it around the block, and all the power I felt that was missing the first time(obviously due to NO COMPRESSION CAUSED BY H20 & OIL BASE), ..well, it had returned.

Just a side note.... Following instructions of a great friend who's helped me out FOR MANY DAYS added together, ......including a couple days this time.... I added a half quart of ATF to the 4 quarts of oil, as ATF pulls water out of things and suspends it. Draining it all right now, after scarring up my arm for the 3rd time trying to get the Toyota Filter out!(TOTAL PITA, and I DID NOT torque it on with a tool, ...just hand tight, grrr).

Lots of oil and water dripped all over the place when I removed the head, so I can't tell if some of the, what looks like, 'oil' I'm seeing is from the rear main, trans input shaft seal or just dripped all over the place from the 'second tear down' over the last couple days.

I think I have to adjust the valves again, which I will do when I recheck the head bolts, shortly. For now, I will PRAY, FERVENTLY, that it stays 'DRAMA FREE', and drive it, hopefully tomorrow, to get the Alignment done and HOPEFULLY find a place that will be able to repair my oil pan bolt hole. It doesn't seem to be leaking, but I KNOW it's not solid the way it is.... so that's gonna be POST HASTE! If they can't repair it, I'll have no choice but to drop the diff and find another oil pan.(I did check it, and had it full of degreaser and water at the time I brought it home, and it wasn't leaking...but I should have just bought a new pan for 50$! GRRRRRR!

Anyway, .....it's running, very strong, so far, and while I WILL NEVER AGAIN prematurely, proverbially jump for joy, ... at least the HG doesn't seem to be leaking right off the bat, eh?

I will get some video of it running asap, but for now, ....100 HOURS STRAIGHT, LATER, ...I'm spent! lol.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:57 PM

Glad to hear things are coming together Mark!
Old 06-12-2011, 10:47 PM

glad to hear you got it running fingers crossed that it goes off without a hitch
Old 06-13-2011, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Guess you did get that one in a million problem especially for as thorough as you are. But better now then running across Arizona. Here is wishing you the best. Great job. I knew you had a lot of hours in it. Get some rest.lol
Old 06-13-2011, 12:57 AM

Glad to hear things seem to be ok. Hope it continues to improve.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have seen good engines get pulled out, sat for a little bit, and the tstat rusts just enough to hold it closed. this person didn't realize it, drove off, and BHG down the road. it is one of those things i just replace every time i have the opportunity. and with high temperature, comes high pressure. get a cooling system pressure tester and run her up to 16psi and check for leaks then. of course after you replace those bad thermostats.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread