86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:07 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Haha yup Chef I was most definitely kidding. His flat bed IMO is THE best on this forum and any others as well. I just wish I had half the creativity and knowhow he does.

Keep plugging away, you'll be done in no time.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:19 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Haha yup Chef I was most definitely kidding. His flat bed IMO is THE best on this forum and any others as well. I just wish I had half the creativity and knowhow he does.

Keep plugging away, you'll be done in no time.
Ok, Phewwww! lol.... I didn't wanna offend the Blueberry(soon to be .....WHATEVER COLOR! LOL)...

Yeah, ...I'm just waiting on the head, HOPEFULLY TODAY, and I'll be done, quickly!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Your build moves fast. Lowes is about the only place I know to get a good selection of metric bolts. Getting a good collection from the junk yard, saves alot of headaches, especially if you have to striaghten out somebody elses mess.

I also got some nuts and just keep the bolts on the engine stand, They are out of the way and always there when it will be needed the next time. They are an odd bolt that really isnt used anywhere else.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:51 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
there's always http://www.mcmaster.com/

i love the site. $10 for a pack of 25 stainless 8-1.25 x 25mm
Old 06-06-2011, 09:09 AM

Hey Guys, ..... I have a possible problem.

My oil pan seems to be tweaked.(I know it's the pan, not the block)... Had some help trying to get the pan off and a bolt was still in while it was being pulled on

I've tried everything to straighten it(without causing any damage) and it seems hopeless. It has around 1/8" inch of play, maybe more, from front passenger side corner to rear driver side corner....

When I called the yard, they quoted me 75$!!!!! WTH? I think LCE sells new ones for 80$. So I called back today and they said, "how much you wanna pay?" .... I HATE THAT! lol.... Don't wanna get laughed at! lol. So, I said, "I don't know, like HALF THAT?"..... To which he said, "Ok, come on down".... hahahaha. Hey, glad I said something, eh? lol.

I just don't wanna guess on something like that and I'M TOTALLY FRIGGEN DONE with Oil Leaks, man! I try to do everything to the tee, and this time, I'm double checking everything myself, ....so PRAYERFULLY, lol... I wont be having any.

My Machinist is having trouble finding new springs for my head.... so now I'm REALLY PUSHING HIM! I will call him back within a couple hours and see if he found them....that's all that's holding him up. DANGIT! lol.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good deal on the pan I'm gonna get stuck re useing my old one, hopefully the machinist will get you done up today.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:16 PM

nothin' wrong with using the old one, as long as it sits flush on the block
Old 06-06-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by irab88
nothin' wrong with using the old one, as long as it sits flush on the block
Lol.... That's why I'm even checking into it, Ian,... Yeah, it's pretty cocked. It rocks pretty dramatically back and forth from corner to corner.... The 30$ I just paid plus the work to clean it up and paint it is worth it to me to not 'guess', ya know? lol. Telling ya, brutha,...I sure wish I had 2500$ to just buy a complete Putney's job, stage 2 motor, but alas, I have to work with what I got, ....unless what I got is screwy, hahaha.

He's nearly done with the head.... the guides are in, valve seats ready, valves readied... he just had to wait til 2 to pick up the new springs(His guy had to go grab em from his warehouse, etc.

Thanks for the input, guys! I don't consider myself a newb any longer, lol... but there's NOTHING wrong with checking with the Yota-Brotherhood, right? lol

Jason, .... I hope so too! HE'D BETTER! lol... JK, I'd rather wait another day than have him ticked off at the guy whom he's handing the parts thereof! lol
Old 06-06-2011, 12:45 PM

mark, you might be able to flex it back, close to shape, and seat it all the way with the bolts once in place. but i understand if it's too far bent up or you'd rather put something a bit more reliable in
Old 06-06-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by irab88
mark, you might be able to flex it back, close to shape, and seat it all the way with the bolts once in place. but i understand if it's too far bent up or you'd rather put something a bit more reliable in
Yeah, you can actually see it with the eye... The problem, even my machinist had, was, .... It's molded in such a way that it's hard to reshape it without compromising the angle of the flange/flat portion, and the lip is it's support, ...which stops most 'bending' from going, ...well, ..... 'WELL', lol. I will keep mine, take it to a guy I KNOW can fix it in July when he comes to town,....and use it on the other block that the last guy did.. I'm likely to use it if I can, ...just bag it for now, keep all the journal caps and see if I can SOME DAY find a project to toss it in. Ya know? The block needs that chip fixed, ...but I'd chance it on a 'weekend warrior'.... MAYBE, ...depending on whether or not I can find a better deal later on. Either that, or it's scrap! lol.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
The 30$ I just paid plus the work to clean it up and paint it is worth it to me to not 'guess', ya know? lol.
$30 bucks is really cheap insurance, in my humble opinion you made the right choice. Stamped steel is really hard to bring back into original shape after being warped. Only way I can think would really work would be to clamp it tight to a solid piece of flat steel, and throw it into an oven to take the stress out of it. Looking forward to the peace after the storm of this rebuild process, Chef.

*edit: and I don't mean a cooking oven. I meant a heat treatment/tempering oven

Last edited by Dutchbelly; 06-06-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:10 PM

Question: you mention that toyota oil filters are the best. I'm not really savvy when it comes to oil filter quality, and I've been using the fram full synthetic filters because they advertise 10000 mile filter life with synthetic oil. I've always figured if I save the money doing the labour, its worth spending it on the oil/filter. Would you say I've been wasting my money not buying the toyota ones? I tend to avoid the local toyota dealership, they seem unwilling to give you the time of day if you don't drive a new vehicle. I once went in there and stood in the lot for 15mins snooping at the new 4runners, and noone came out. My wife drove in with her 2006 xterra to see what I was up to and the darn sales rep popped out that door in seconds with a smile on his face and a bounce to his step. I haven't gone back since.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:02 PM

Yeah, you can actually see it with the eye... The problem, even my machinist had, was, .... It's molded in such a way that it's hard to reshape it without compromising the angle of the flange/flat portion, and the lip is it's support, ...which stops most 'bending' from going, ...well, ..... 'WELL', lol. I will keep mine, take it to a guy I KNOW can fix it in July when he comes to town,....and use it on the other block that the last guy did.. I'm likely to use it if I can, ...just bag it for now, keep all the journal caps and see if I can SOME DAY find a project to toss it in. Ya know? The block needs that chip fixed, ...but I'd chance it on a 'weekend warrior'.... MAYBE, ...depending on whether or not I can find a better deal later on. Either that, or it's scrap! lol.
good stuff. well, i'll let you get back to wrenching. keep dem pics coming!

dutch- good point, and i agree with the oven method. if you do that, don't forget to both heat and cool it slooooowwwwly (usually just leave it in the oven until it's at room temperature again)
Old 06-06-2011, 05:26 PM

Hey guys, thanks! Yeah, ...the guy did have that oven, for baking paint I suppose? lol. Anyway, .... he said, "You'd be better off, but you'll still find the next one to have a kink, and I BET YOU it's the same kink..... Sure enough... it's a TINY bit warped, but NOTHING like my original. I will just chalk it up to lesson learned, ya know? lol.

Far as the rest... THE HEAD IS HOME! lol. Amazing, he was right, ...turning the CAM now, it TOTALLY FLOWS in the journals, instead of binding up like it did... and after my talk with Tod of Engnbldr, ...I'm sure it's not of any major consequence that they almost all come that way(mildly bent, 1-6thousandths.)... But I feel better, regardless, having 'ZERO' on the dial indicator, ya know? lol. My new Springs are by a company I know of but can't name off hand, ...Racing springs, made in Gardena, CA, USA, ...and Hardened, tempered, flown to Zimbobwai and back? lol... i'll take a pic, later. Got stuff to figure out>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm having a lil issue with the timing cover lining up level... and it's NOT THE DECK, .... Rather, on each corner, top left and bottom right, it's the same off(maybe .005 or so?).... and I think it's the Dowel Pins on this new block. I'm going to CAREFULLY manipulate, ...see what I can do, cuz after all I've been through, ..YEAH, HAAAAAAAELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NOOOOOOOO, SIR! Lol.

K, I'll be back with pics, promise, ..but they need the Camera tonight, so I'm not sure how much I'll get

Mark
Old 06-06-2011, 05:30 PM

Dutch, .... NO WAY am I able to tell you, conclusively, with technical PPM data, 'Toyota Filters are the best in the world', lol... BUT, MANY ASE guys have told me that when they see stuff in there that has run Toyota Filters, they are, well, less dirty? lol. One thing I DO know is that, ..... 4.39$ at my Dealer right now, ... not too concerned about the price on that one. They had PLENTY in stock, so I bought a couple. They come oiled and the rubber seems to be different(Not flat, more of a 'crush' type.

I get yelled at on this thread everytime someone sees a "FRAM", and they seem to have read plenty that made them feel that way... I just figured, "at 4.39$ and rated by many mechanics as 'good stuff',.... it's not like I'm paying WAY more or anything, ...why not', ya know? lol.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:37 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Chef...not to derail, but I just checked Joe's block....each side has 1 "plug" just behind the front-most freeze plug. so on that note, I am satisfied with the cleaning we did.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:50 PM

100 pages!!!

Dutch, .... NO WAY am I able to tell you, conclusively, with technical PPM data, 'Toyota Filters are the best in the world', lol... BUT, MANY ASE guys have told me that when they see stuff in there that has run Toyota Filters, they are, well, less dirty? lol. One thing I DO know is that, ..... 4.39$ at my Dealer right now, ... not too concerned about the price on that one. They had PLENTY in stock, so I bought a couple. They come oiled and the rubber seems to be different(Not flat, more of a 'crush' type.

I get yelled at on this thread everytime someone sees a "FRAM", and they seem to have read plenty that made them feel that way... I just figured, "at 4.39$ and rated by many mechanics as 'good stuff',.... it's not like I'm paying WAY more or anything, ...why not', ya know? lol.
I'm going to have to look into it, because your logic makes good sense. I was working on the logic that "I know little on oil filter quality, so I'll buy what I assume is the best for a bit more to be safe".
*edit: If he's got the oven, ask him if he's ever used it for stress relief in steel. If he has, he probably knows the specifics better than I could explain. What I do know though is that Irab88 is pretty much dead on the money. If you heat the steel up to the point where it relieves the stress, but cool it too quickly, the steel hardens and looses tensile strength and malleability. They do that when they temper steel, but it's not as simple as just heating it up and throwing it in water, there are specific temperatures that they hit, I don't know the numbers, (I think it's around 1300 degrees F for mild steel but don't quote me on it) and a certain amount of time for cooling for every type of steel to temper properly without losing too much strength. Blacksmiths in the old day used to cool their iron with oil/water or salt water mixtures because it would quench it at a different speed than straight water. Stress relieving in steel is completely different. You'll be aiming for close to the same temperatures when you heat it in the oven, but cooling it much slower. My memory is a bit fuzzy on the subject so I might not be explaining it very well, but when you cool the steel really slowly the stress was taken out when it was heated up, and the whole steel mass adjusts and doesn't harden as much, and retains much more of it's original properties and strength. If he knows more on the subject it might be interesting to see what you could do with the more warped oil pan you started out with, as you'll still have the one in better shape of the two if it doesn't work out.

Last edited by Dutchbelly; 06-06-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:45 PM

Hey, thanks alot, Dutch, that was very informative.

Jerry, .... SWEET! Sorry if I caused you to 'worry' for no reason... I just thought "Why not at least check", right? lol.

They had to take the camera b4 I could upload the pics... So I'm just now doing so. Just having some gasket issues... The Passenger side timing cover gasket it NOT RIGHT, ... it's just not lining up with the top bolt holes AND the bottom bolt holes at the same time, not without the long strip portion bowing pretty well. GRRR! The chain kit is in but, ...I just can't get back to it til the morning, ... Back's killin me.

I will post another couple pics of what I mean tomorrow, ..what held me up I mean(this is why I always TEST FIT things, first! lol. It's a Rock Gasket, .... so I'ma hit the Napa or Dealer tomorrow, depending on who has it, ...GRRR, Stupid things like this delaying me, .........AGAIN! hahaa.

And here's the head, PROOF of "POSSESSION" lol.....

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-06-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:14 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
good looking stuff Mark....and no worries about that coolant plug....I appreciate you looking out for us.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:39 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Mark,
It's all comming together now....literally...haaha

Not to derail your thread, but a year or so ago the DucatiMonsterForum did an oil filter analysis.
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/in...?topic=39672.0
very informative, it will give you a better idea on what type of aftermarket filter to choose.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread