86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
... What did you pay at Firestone, Drew?
The price fluctuates and some times they have sales. First time around on my Tacoma it was about $120. When I did the 4Runner it was $170, but I HAD to have my alignment done that day and paying for a one time alignment is a waste.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wanted to share how close these have come now, as well............

Old 06-01-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
chef is that at full droop? If not better check full droop. What size tires are those again?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:04 AM

Not at full droop... in that pic, tires on and on the ground...........

31x10.50x15's, BFG AT's, no wheel spacers, etc. I will check... Butttttttttt, it is NEAR full droop, as there is NO ENGINE in there, lol... I mean, I sat it down and it didn't come down much at all, ya know?

It's close, and I guess I'm also wondering if when I hit the trails; could the tires be pushed over into that while forward motion and cause drama? Or, is it "What you see is what you got, as long as they don't touch at full droop, you're good" ???
Old 06-01-2011, 10:07 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I believe it's what you see is what you get as long as the ball joints are tight and not flopping around. That's surprising it's so close. No way would you get away with 12.50's without spacers with those spacer in there. Which is what I am worried about when I do mine. 4crawler mentions the backspacing I got on my 15x 8's will not interfere but........ I am less then 2 figure width from the control arm at full droop.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:13 AM

I'm pretty sure the only way for the tire to rub is if the ball joint goes bad and allows inward play, but bj failures like that are nearly unheard of....unless you get your stock truck airborne like I do, then you discover all kinds of failures! O.o. The tires and rims on the hubs tend to get really close, but will more than likely never contact. So no worries chef!
Old 06-01-2011, 04:57 PM

wow man that is close, I'm with moze I don't think you have any worries but I would sure watch it if you air down for wheeling.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Sin

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Then, really quick... I cleaned up my garage pretty nice! Allllllll the tools back in there places, etc.! ......

What's up with the Jimmy Carter mask, you use it for red light camera intersections?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:05 PM

Hey Guys, ...

Thanks for the input

I have some pics from 'during' my day at the machine shop....but most of them were with my phone and it just wasn't bright enough in there... got a couple more with the camera, but forgot the memory card, ... so only got a couple, ..they're not great either, lol. I'll load them when I can find the wire.....

So ANYWAYYYYYY, .....

I spent the majority of the day at the machinists, learning things, watching and PUSHING him a lil bit! lol. Actually, wouldn't have helped much as I WATCHED how often he's interrupted by guys popping in, randomly for "emergency work" for contracts, etc., ...and then the Japanese Auto Center needs... J.A.C. being the LARGE Auto Repair Center that basically OWNS him, lol. Needless to say, ...I LEARNED A LOT!

1. He Bored the block today, ...and it looks NICE! ( That pic actually came out well)

2. He has all the Bearings and Rings(Hastings Rings-USA and Saiko Bearings, OEM-JAPAN)

3. He told me today, after a couple hours.... "Man, ...this sux for you man...Sorry it's taking a while, and I'm more sorry you've had to go through all this... Like your attitude and interest. I tell you what, .....Come tomorrow, ohhhh, ..... 12:30pm? I'll show you how to wash the block, crank, and then you can paint it, we'll bake it, then I'll guide you through building the lower end...TAKE NOTES, you could use this later, GEMS, trust me!....... By Friday afternoon, I'll finish the head and you can take it home and put it in. Up to you,..... I'd give you a big discount too, for doing some of it after I show you how and then watch you do some..... And, honestly, I would have to charge a bit more for doing it all. Up to you." Well, OF COURSE I said, "YES, I wanna know your tricks, tips, and I'm down for that. Just let me watch you do the head on Friday, k?" He said sure.

4. Today, while I was there, he also checked all the rod ends and caps/true of the hole,.... they were ALL out of round as well, as my Crank the first machinist used was, as well. He machined each one to nearly perfect, rounded anything that was given an edge in the process, and put them back on the machine and it didn't bounce at all(The Machine is a 'round' indicator.... and it read under .25Thousandth of jump). So now, I have a nearly perfect crank(nothings perfect, right Truckman? lol).... and nearly perfect Rod ends, CAPS and the main bearing journals and caps are true as could be as well(on this new block and caps.) And, I noted here a while back that he had me take the CAM to Engle Brothers and have any 'bend' fixed.(They're all slightly bent from Engnbldr, many others, ...which isn't a big deal to Tod and Ted, and even this guy said, "It wont blow up or anything...but I WANT IT TRUE AS CAN BE,..don't you?"... which only cost me 10$ ENGLE ROCKS! Lol)

So, so far,

1. Block is Bored and has a SWEET finish on it.
2. Rods and caps, mains and caps all checked and re-done to 'just right'.
3. Head Stuff's are on their way from his favorite Toyota Parts Purveyor(already have the valves)...including new springs.

And I AM VERY ANXIOUS! lol.

PS> My oil pan is NOT TRUE! He is going to straighten that out as well.(Got a lil bent, grrrrrrrr, ...yes, I'm a dork! lol)

PSS> Another interesting thing; I picked up my Pilot Bearing from Toyota Dealership today, .... 12$, Koyo, Japan. Napa wanted 22$... WTH IS GOING ON HERE? Lol. Even O'Reily wanted 19$ for their National Bearing, ....3$ for their Brand, "Master Craft" ...or whatever it's called, lol... 3$? I know, ...doesn't always mean something, but C'MONNNNN, ....THAT JUST WORRIED ME! Lol.

Pics to come,

THANKS GUYS!

Mark
Old 06-01-2011, 08:22 PM

The new Block, bored 20-over, Honed, ready to get washed and then assembled, HOPEFULLY, PRAYERFULLY TOMORROW! LOL. ......................

The New Crank..... actually round! lol.. with only 10-taken off.............

And sorry on these.... This is Phil, aka "MR. Old, tired, SHORT AND UGLY!" (HEY, that's what he says every time I ask him, "Hey, ... how's it going?", haha...... He's honing the Rod Bearing Journals back to true..(I saw how much they were off, ..... it COULD NOT have been helping! Thanks again to my old Machinist! lol.........)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sorry bout the pic quality, again...but it was not the best conditions! lol. Hey, I try, right? lol.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:30 PM

Oh, ....and got some mail the other day, not sure if I posted this............

Got quite a few more, on top of the HG ..... t-cover, intake, t-body, egr, half moons, v-cover grommets, Water pump Gskt., Oil Pump O-ring, Freeze Plugs.....all oem for 58$ from a NEW BUDDY! LOL.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sexy gasket!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:04 AM

Hahaha, funny Truckman.

Curious.... is the block not 'Sexy' to you as well? lol.

BTW, ...... I woke up today with a BAD sinus infection and VERY sore throat! Don't have any choice but to go down there and finish this up..... Which SHOULD BE, "CAN'T WAIT to get down there and learn and finish this up!!!" HAHAHAHAHA. Oh well, .... at least I'm able, ...I'll be glad about that.

Notes to self;

1. Need to bring new OEM Pilot Bearing.

2. Bring Injectors with, drop them off at RC Engineering on the way there.

3. Bring my tools

4. Ask him about the Harmonic(Remind him of Oil Pan and Flywheel)

5. Bring 'other parts' for bead blasting
Old 06-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Hope you guys make a lot of progress today
Old 06-02-2011, 07:18 PM

you are intense chef! i love looking through your thread. kick ass!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:47 PM

Hey guys,....

HELL-DAY! lol. It would have been more fun/interesting, but I'm SICK AS ALL HECK! lol. Secondly, ..... we couldn't get much going on it until around 5pm! I did a lil bit of stuff, personal things with the timing cover, etc., but yeah...... FRUSTRATING!

I did 'wash the block' today(Soap and water the holes, mainly, also air-reemed out the water jackets and oil galley's, etc.), dried it quickly then oiled the holes for tomorrow, when hopefully, starting early, we'll be slapping it together and I can take the complete short block home.

It'd be a miracle if the head gets done tomorrow. BUT, ...it's pretty much ready for all the goodies. I guess everything happens for a reason.... If I were to take the lot of it home tomorrow, ....I'd probably press on, sick, and wind up in the hospital, lol... Honestly? I'm half way there already, but WHATEVERRRRRRRRR! lol. Nothing like a nice fever and sore throat to go with a healthy sinus infection/headache from HELL! lol.

I have a couple pics, ....we'll see, I'm pretty beat.........I'll try to load them tonight. Since I have all the Bearings and Rings, ...the Shorty can get assembled there, tomorrow... and I'M REALLY HAPPY for one thing....>>> That I can assemble it THERE, in HIS SHOP, full of high tech crap! LOL. OH, ...yeah, he has to do the last 2 rod journals tomorrow.... he wants EVERYTHING PERFECT AS POSSIBLE for this thing, and it's REALLY amazing how true/balanced/round he's getting things, compared to how THEY WERE! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-02-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:52 PM

Making some good progress chef! Keep up the pics, both for us and for yourself. Someday you'll be able to look back at all this process as the time you finally got that engine right. Looking forward to this new paint process you mentioned.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:05 PM

Hey Chef you're probably ok but keep an eye on cut's like this one:

I noticed that while reading your thread. It'll probably be ok because the control arm is a pretty solid unit, but if you were ever to get a stress crack that's where it would start.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:49 PM

Hey chef just got done catching up aint been able to get on a computer for awhile great progress if will be finished soon enough. I didnt see what you decided to do with the head stay stock or go oversized. I think the oversized helped alot on my truck in my opion. Im glad your new machinest is makeing sure everything is as close to prefect as it can be for ya. Keep up the great work man

P.S. I have searched everywhere and couldnt find anything on another brand of mega flex bj's. If you talk to that Jim guy or find something that i couldn't i would greatly apprecate the help. Thanks
Old 06-02-2011, 10:45 PM

Get well soon buddy! Looking forward to seeing that rig fire up again! Once I get my motor built finally, we should race! LOl j/k!

A lil off topic and random; but how close is Palos Verdes to Santa Clarita? O.o I know I've lived in cali for years, and should know this kind of thing, but I still don't, lol

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread