86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn. everybody beat me to it! sounds like torsion bars to me too. did you just crank that bolt all the way or did you mark them where they were before taking them apart?
Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
DANGIT, I can't multi-quote, once again, to answer you guys, to I'll just try to answer everyone.........

4RunFreak, I can't know for sure, but I'm fairly sure the PO never touched the Torsion Bars, and neither have I. Doesn't mean I can't relax them some more, if that's possible, however, so I will try that out if letting it back down doesn't do the trick. The book does mention dropping it down on the tires to 'settle' the new LCA bushings, ...but I think that my problem might also be related to the fact that I don't have the weight of the MOTOR IN THERE?

NV, The LCA is in over the new Lower Ball Joints, yes. However, the UCA and LCA are at such a downward angle(full droop), that the Upper Ball joint and knuckle are harder to get to... AND, .. I tried the 'sledge on one side and hammer on the other trick'... when trying to remove the lower ball joint thread from that lower knuckle... NO WAY in hell was that going to work in this case. Same with when I had to remove the pitman end from the linkage.... HAD TO use a 'PULLER'. The upper one is also behind the brake line, and i leaves me no place to put the 'Pitman Arm Separator' like I used for separating the lower knuckle from the Lower Ball Joint. (I WILL POST PICS FOR EVERYONE, TODAY, ...DIDN'T HAVE CAMERA YESTERDAY)

MOZE, as mentioned, I'll look into the T-bar thing... but I doubt, considering the height it rode at(I have a rake, with just the shorter Zuk Coils), that the T-bars are anything but 'worn out', if anything, lol. Again, I think it's the 'WEIGHT OF THE MOTOR THAT'S MISSING', that's part of it. Far as the 203#...that's what the Haynes is telling me. Could anyone look that up in their Haynes and tell me if I'm reading it wrong? Bcuz, ... in the "Nathans" link that Roger of 4Crawler gave me..... It seems to say (145#). I will be happy with that<<<, lol.

RE-RE, Thanks man. Appreciate the input. Far as the "I vote High Flow CAT"? Not sure, hmmmm... I think you answered my PM but then posted after the first permalink in the build thread link in my sig? lol.... I'm 80 Pages or so further now, ....but YES, I did go with a "high flow CALIF CAT" if there is such a thing, hahaha.

Truckman, .... Not sure I know what you're asking. "Did I crank 'WHAT' bolt all the way"? I never, EVER touched the Torsion bars. If you're speaking of the CAM Markers on the LCA Mounting Bolt/Nuts assembly, ....Yes, I marked them, but I only have one arm in, Passenger side, because the machinist pushed the front/driver side bushing in too far, and now I can't slide both sides back up into the frame(NO WAY IN HELL, I tried everything, and I'd rather it be 'PLUM', ya know?... so I have to head back to his shop so he can push it back out, just 1/6th of an inch or so.

As I said, I think that the 300-400# of motor missing has something to do with it, .... as as well as the new Bushings. I was wondering, however, if, while doing all the diff stuff, etc., and now letting the hubs hang while I removed the LCA's, .... is it possible that the Axles aren't going back into the diff spline housing?

I'll just keep trying, what else can I do? Off to the machinist one more time to get this fixed. TIRED OF WASTING SO MUCH TIME DRIVING, GUYS! lol. Spent 3 hours yesterday driving, one of my only 3/4 days off in a while. Mehhhhh, lol.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:15 AM

Ok, well, I took the Driver-Side/LCA in and had the front bushing pressed back out a lil bit, ....voila, the arm went right up in there.

1. Both Lower Control Arms are in and torqued to 145#.

2. The Lower Ball Joints-to-Knuckle/Castle Nuts are torqued to 100#, new pins installed and wrapped properly.

About to put the Tires on and lower it, in an effort to bounce on it and get them to 'SETTLE', as the book says. I'm not sure, seeing as I'm over 200#, but not 500#, if I'll be able to get them to cooperate. So, I might have to wait till the motor is in and then drive around a bit, ..... then install my BJ spacers and new Sankei-Downey Mega Travel Upper Ball Joints..... But ONE PROBLEM,... My shocks I removed are REALLY toast! When I went to remove the pass-side, the whole top of the shock spun, along with the 'grip nut'(the one you hold on to while turning the mounting nut on top..... My 'grip nut' broke away from the rest of the shock....

MY QUESTION IS THIS.....

IF, by some sad happenstance, I can't install my BJ spacers, YET..... Can I still install the OMEmu shocks that are meant for a 2" lift?????????????????? I don't want to damage them,...THEY'RE NOT CHEAP!

Also; ANYONE have any ideas on these frustrating lil vermin like the 'ARMS THAT WONT MOVE' SYNDROME?????? hahaha
Old 05-26-2011, 04:51 PM

OKAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Upper Ball joint, driver side, .......OUT! LOL.

First, I want to say THANK YOU, JASON, for being such a help with info, etc., looking stuff up while we were on the phone, ... GRATEFUL!

Secondly, ... ROB, Yotarob, to be precise... THANX, AGAIN, TO HIM! Simply looking at this portion of his build thread, ....

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51465594

It led me to figuring it out, how everything works, etc.(well, some of it, still learning, hahaha)...

I will post a video on this one, as I had a bit of trouble with just using 4crawlers instructions, as,.... I'M CHANGING MY UPPER BALL JOINTS! lol. I'll explain why it's much different on the instructions, difficulty(as it was for Rob),...because there is NO ROOM under the tapper/thread, to get a puller, etc., in there. Luckily, in my case, the '2 LARGE HAMMERS' trick worked! lol.

Be back later to explain, I think it will help some people and maybe even encourage some to 'DO THIS, ALREADY!' lol. Or that, or this or that, you know what i mean, lol.

DANGGGGGGGGGGGG, ....seriously.. a long day of NOT MUCH DONE! lol. But nonetheless, ..... it's looking like I'll have my spacers-lift, drop kit, all new BJ's, new Shocks, yadda yadda, 'READY IN TIME BEFORE MY MOTOR GET'S HERE!' wooooooooooot! lol.

Freaked out how quiet the threads I'm scribed to are today! lol. Holiday Weekend thang, eh?
Old 05-26-2011, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glad it helped mark I realy want to see you get this thing together and everything work the way you want.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
glad it helped mark I realy want to see you get this thing together and everything work the way you want.
Of course it helped, Homie! lol... I think just, well, 'talking something out' helps a lot... but then hashing over pics while talking it out... HOLY CRAPOLI! lol.

Thanks again, Jason,... and everyone else who lent a thought or two or three, .... or more, lol. As usual, honestly, I'm VERY GRATEFUL!

Ok, now I have to get out the angle grinder and cut this SOBiscuit out of there(the extra piece of the UCA that has to be cut out for the 1.5" spacers to fit. Only problem is..... I only have a 4.5" Grinder and discs. Hope it's not too big to get in there and 'do the job'! lol.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4

MY QUESTION IS THIS.....

IF, by some sad happenstance, I can't install my BJ spacers, YET..... Can I still install the OMEmu shocks that are meant for a 2" lift?????????????????? I don't want to damage them,...THEY'RE NOT CHEAP!
I've been looking into the OME 2" kit for my own truck, didn't see any spacers in the kit. I would assume you won't need spacers to run the shocks, I think the kit comes with torsion bars, not spacers, and people sometimes just crank their factory bars instead of buying the OME ones to save a few bucks. If you're worried about damaging your shocks without having spacers in, check to see what the operating range is on the shocks you bought. If their minimum range is at least as short compressed as the one's you're replacing, you're safe, because the extended range is sure to be farther. Hoping you get those bad boys in there, I'd like to hear your opinion on the ride quality with them. I read about you buying them like 14356.2 pages ago and have been frantically looking for the the page where you installed them until I found out they're still not in. Best of luck.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:05 PM

Well, got some pics.. not many, but I'll still do a VERY detailed video of 'HOW TO' on this, ....as I might not be the only one that finds some of the instructions on some of these mods/installs/repairs a lil vague, at times, and I'M ALWAYS trying to find an easier way, if it can safely be done. Anyhow..........

I was grinding the A-arm and sparks everywhere... and my daughter(oldest) said, "HEY, look!" And as I let go of the power, she snapped one, .....right before it died, hahaha. But I got some others afterword, once I got new batt.'s in there, lol.

Grinding the A-arm....

The rest of the ball joint spacers installed with the new Downey Mega Travel Upper Ball Joints.....

Lil Zerk Bastage! lol.....

Just a note..... when installing BJ spacers, ....AND NEW BALL JOINTS.... Install the new Ball joints into the knuckle(but don't TORQUE TO ?#'s YET), ....AND THEN install the ball joint into the BJ spacers and upper arm. Once the 1.5" spacer is in.... it's REALLY, literally impossible, as far as I can tell(w/out relaxing the torsion bars(mine are not cooperating), to install the Ball joint with BJ spacers installed into the knuckle. As you can see, ...they're side by side, and that's at full droop on the lower arm. lol.

I'll take it apart tomorrow and install the bj into the knuckle and then into the spacer and arm..... HOPEFULLY they'll let me work on it some more tomorrow! lol.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:13 PM

Nice Work Chef! good luck with the rest of it!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dutchbelly
I've been looking into the OME 2" kit for my own truck, didn't see any spacers in the kit. I would assume you won't need spacers to run the shocks, I think the kit comes with torsion bars, not spacers, and people sometimes just crank their factory bars instead of buying the OME ones to save a few bucks. If you're worried about damaging your shocks without having spacers in, check to see what the operating range is on the shocks you bought. If their minimum range is at least as short compressed as the one's you're replacing, you're safe, because the extended range is sure to be farther. Hoping you get those bad boys in there, I'd like to hear your opinion on the ride quality with them. I read about you buying them like 14356.2 pages ago and have been frantically looking for the the page where you installed them until I found out they're still not in. Best of luck.
Hey Bud, ...how's it goin? Yeah, sorry bout that, hahaha. I was going to have a guy who I helped with a motor meet me at the shop he uses, put it on the lift, etc.... but I'm not sure he's ever really got/gonna have the time. I know he's very busy... so I just decided to tackle it myself, lol. <I laugh now.... many times I've not been laughing along the way! lol.

I'll be up early, then fix what I said above so I can get the new BJ taper bolt over the knuckle.... and then on to the other side, ...hopefully be done by noon! Ok, maybe 2, hahaha. Have to work in 'allowed spare time', so I guess I'm being 'HOPEFUL', eh? lol. The OMEmu Nitro-Sport shocks, Diff Drop, Sway Drop and the Sway bushing set, etc., will be going in as well. I can't tell you what I think until I have a motor in it, hehe. Promise, soon as I get it back, installed, fired up and rolling..... I'll BE SURE to lay out 'WHAT I THINK' on here, no doubt! I've heard nothing but good things about OME... Comparatively to other brands/ratings... They're pretty high in the customer opinions arena, ya know?

I hate to say, "GO FOR IT", Dutch, ..seriously, I can't really say, and it depends, highly I'm sure, on application, etc.

Thanks for the input on the longer shocks/w/out BJ spacers' stuff! Good stuff, ..please, post on here ANYTIME you see something you might have some thoughts on.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-26-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by 4runFreak
Nice Work Chef! good luck with the rest of it!
Thanx, much, Brudda!

Hey, .....it's not always TIMELY, ...and never PERFECT, .... but I try to do it right, the first time, even if it means UNDOING a bit, then re-doing it! hahaha. And never should anyone be afraid to ask for , yea know?

I'm really feeling happy that I found those Downey Ball Joints and that I went with the Lower OEM Bj's(suck a STEAL!...couldn't resist)... and the OMEmu Shocks and Stabilizer, new LCA Bushings, UCA Bushings(soon)......and I CAN'T WAIT to feel the ride out! IT HAS to be better than it was, ...........right? hahaha.

All of this for under 600$, ....(yes, even thought I've had it all for MONTHS! lol).... I think it's a good compromise to an SAS that I can't afford! lol.(Nor do I think I need or would want to do to this truck).
Old 05-27-2011, 12:12 AM

chef do not for get to put washers under upper bump stop . turn axle at full droop and make sure no binding or not too much of angle put jack under lca and jack up till it is good and add washers to keep that height
Old 05-27-2011, 06:46 AM

Right on, Mike......

Yeah, I've been reading on that for a while, which is why I went with the diff and sway drop kit from 4crawler along with the bj spacers. I've got to get that in, first, before I can really get an accurate 'bind' test, ya know? Wish I did it when I installed the diff's...but I just didn't have time(couldn't find the package from 4Crawler hahaha). But anyway,it's not that big a deal, ....I'll have it done pretty quick, once I get the front end 'ALL' together again! lol.

Thanks for chiming in, Mike, ....Much appreciated

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-27-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:57 PM

I've heard nothing but good things about OME... Comparatively to other brands/ratings... They're pretty high in the customer opinions arena, ya know?

I hate to say, "GO FOR IT", Dutch, ..seriously, I can't really say, and it depends, highly I'm sure, on application, etc.

Thanks for the input on the longer shocks/w/out BJ spacers' stuff! Good stuff, ..please, post on here ANYTIME you see something you might have some thoughts on.
Yeah what really has been pushing me towards OME is they say right up front they won't sacrifice ride quality for that extra inch or so of lift, and the whole point of my build is I'm planning on driving this truck into the ground-and I mean until I'm in the ground, not the truck. So the extra bucks for ride quality will pay off in the long run, I'd think. I don't like to buy into advertising hype though. I've read good reviews, but I'm paranoid enough to believe that anyone who's dropped 1000 bucks on something like a lift kit is probably to proud to admit it didn't live up to the hype. I'm looking forward to your opinion because its coming from someone who tore down his own engine after he paid someone else to do it, details the underside of lock washers and probably uses his toothbrush on his engine at the sake of his own teeth.

No worries on my input. I'm by no means an expert, but I've never been the type who's willing to just throw in a part and hope for the best, so I like to do those calculations. Yes, you would probably never bottom out a shock with normal driving, but there's always that 1/100000 chance the fat ground hog from down the street picked that night to commit suicide under your tire right after you hit a pot hole at passing speed.

Edit: I'm very sorry if I missed any previous info you have posted on the subject, I'm having a hard time with the search function on this site (and seriously any thread the size of the Bible deserves an index on the first page hint hint) but I'm hoping you could let me know if that steering stabilizer was worth the coin. It's listed as an +/- $80 option for the lift kit, and I'm thinking about running 33's. I've done some reading on it but as always everyone says something different. I initially thought the stabilizer would be necessary only if I was running crazy big tires like 35+" or put the truck through a lot of situations where the wheels would be jerked around a lot like in rock crawling, but I've read a bit on a few sites where even running 31's as a soccer mom can put strain on the system. It really seems like the grey area is pretty big on this one. Guess what I'm asking is: did you really notice any difference? I run 31's on my '89 dd running pretty much stock suspension and haven't personally really had any issues with the factory stabilizer, but maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

Sorry for the lengthy post, took the night off to hang with the wife, and she promptly went shopping, so I've prescribed and self medicated a 50/50 mix of yotatech and whiskey to drown out the fears of her spending the rest of my build fund. Cheers!

Last edited by Dutchbelly; 05-27-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:50 PM

Hahahaha, ....GREAT post, Dutch, seriously! I really needed that(including the levity, of course, lol.... in fact, not discounting query as a great topic, etc., .... PROBABLY MOSTLY enjoyed the levity, at this point! hahaha--"Draws back bloody nubs from the keyboard after working on rig for several days with plenty of mistakes and takes a deep breath..."........ "ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, ....gotta love the levity!" lol

OK, First off, I'll answer you, then move on to the post I've been dying to do... "THE FRIGGEN LIFT KIT AND NEW SUSPENSION GOODIES ARE IN!"..... LOL!

1. "OMEmu is not 'hype' ", is what I came to a conclusion of, therein, while studying, most likely, A LIL TOO indepth!lol("lil too indepth"... as with most I do on this rig... which I don't feel, IN ANY WAY, is a waste of the last YEAR due to 'OTHERS ERR or My mods/repairs, etc.... because, KINDA like you said, "I PLAN ON BEING TURNED INTO FUEL WHEN I PASS ON AND USED AS THE FIRST TANK OF GAS FOR THOSE WHO INHERIT IT FROM MY WILL!!!!! -- By then, ya never know, right? lol). When mentioning the 'reputation', I'm speaking ONLY of the research I've done by actually speaking to (A.) People that do or have owned their stuff (B.) People that, MOST IMPORTANTLY, ''USE'' their stuff, rather than a garaged beast, lol... and (C.) people that OWN TOYOTA's, similar to mine, or at least, vehicles of similar 'make up', ya know?

2. What I found in that research of MANY different manufacturers was that "OME" stood out as the 'Most Satisfied' crowd.... Especially those guys/gals who had ran other things.

3. I know many would say, 'THEY'RE JUST SHOCKS, T-BARS, STABILIZER, GET OVER IT!' hahaha.... Well ,I understand that perspective too. But, I'm in 'SAVE' mode, and I can't afford to buy things twice!(Other than motors, obviously! lol). And, to finally answer your question,....I DO feel a difference from my stock stabilizer. The stock one gave a lil more 'JERK' on the wheel in hand when hitting an odd angle, bump, ....(the wheeling stuff that I simulated REALLY seemed to give the "power steering" and my, at the time, 'VERY TIRED suspension', A LIL HELP, ya know?

So,.... spend 45$ for a Rough Country, Skyjacker, ... maybe it doesn't make a difference to some(AND I'M NOT TALKING CRAP ABOUT ANY BRAND! Promise, guys!!! LOL) ...but most that I spoke to said, "this crap is really tough, practical and rides very nice! NOT TOO soft,...but soft enough to 'go a lil further' in this expedition"-kinda stuff.

Hope that's helpful... Can't tell you about the shocks yet... but HOPEFULLY SOON, I WILL BE!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:32 PM

Suspension stuff is MOSTLY done!

The final product from the front, floor, is this.......

Pic of the BJ spacer and new Downey Mega Travel Ball Joints installed.........

As it sits WITHOUT the motor in..........

If I figured correctly, this will put me RIGHT ON LEVEL! Of course, I have all new stuff up there(most of it), and it might not come down 'AS MUCH' at first, till everything settles really well, driving around, etc...... but I think it will bring me right to 15.5" well to rim.

Fairly sure the all new Ball joints, Shocks, Stabilizer, Steering re-do(Box, pump, etc.), ..... and not touching the Torsion Bars, I should be getting a MUCH MORE comfortable ride. EVERYTHING I took out, including the REALLY TOAST shocks, and ESPECIALLY the ball joints/Bushings, .....all PRETTY BAD. TONS of loose play in the upper ball joints, dry to the bone, same with the lowers on the 'dry'... and the shocks just compressed without hardly any effort at all in my hand! lol.

I have a video, but have to run some errands, first, ..so later. But thanks again, guys, for all your input, etc.! (

PS> I have some good tips and info for the Ball Joint install, BJ spacers AND NEW BALL JOINTS install, etc., and I hope it can save someone some headaches!

Be back later,

Mark
Old 05-27-2011, 05:09 PM

Hahahaha, ....GREAT post, Dutch, seriously! I really needed that(including the levity, of course, lol.... in fact, not discounting query as a great topic, etc., .... PROBABLY MOSTLY enjoyed the levity, at this point! hahaha--"Draws back bloody nubs from the keyboard after working on rig for several days with plenty of mistakes and takes a deep breath..."........ "ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, ....gotta love the levity!" lol
I'm a strong believer that humor is needed most when you're working your butt off. You, my friend, are welcome to it, as it seems your butt might be nonexistant at this point. That right there is an example of levity while discussing levity.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:25 PM

good job chef glad to see you got that sorted out looks good cant wait to hear it runs and drives and your enjoying the summer in it
Old 05-27-2011, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome progress chef! finally working on my swap this weekend. check it out!

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f162...-951-a-225014/
Old 05-27-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dutchbelly
I'm a strong believer that humor is needed most when you're working your butt off. You, my friend, are welcome to it, as it seems your butt might be nonexistant at this point. That right there is an example of levity while discussing levity.
Everyone knows you should NEVER use levity while discussing levity, ...didn't you know this? Ok, now that's an example of levity while discussing the discussions on levity! lol.. Jk... Thanks, man... and I WISH my butt would fall off! lol. Oh well, that's another 'build thread' that's GONNA happen, ....back to "OOHRAH" status asap, hopefully by the end of summer, .... 'BUTT BACK TO NORMAL!' hahaha.

Originally Posted by nvtoyota
good job chef glad to see you got that sorted out looks good cant wait to hear it runs and drives and your enjoying the summer in it
Thanks, man! Appreciate it,...and the help you've consistently offered, buddy! Oh, and TRUST ME, ... I CAN'T WAITTTTTTTTTT to get out there, ......gonna be a HOT ONE, I can feel it! lol.

Originally Posted by truckman1966
Awesome progress chef! finally working on my swap this weekend. check it out!

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f162...-951-a-225014/
Woot, .... appreciate that, too! lol. And, 'CHECK', ....it's been 'checked out' and 'commentated upon'! LOL... great work, Truckman!

Far as this, ...I'm VERY HAPPY to be done with it,....but honestly, even more so, I'm ECSTATIC to have learned so much by mostly pressing into the FSM, book, and even more so, .... HASHING OUT what it didn't really explain in those or the 4crawler page. I'll explain in the next post. Still trying to wrap up here, ...FHEWWWWWWW, I'm SPENT! Lol.

'on YOTATECHIES~!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread