86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:45 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Video of 5/24/2011.....Thanks again for your help!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-24-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:47 PM

WTH? Anyway, ....thanks, Truckman! yeah, I didn't wanna hear that, but it's good to hear the truth, especially when it comes to BRAKES! lol. Not sure what's going on with my page... Random Double Postings, ..... Anyway, I will check everything thoroughly, no doubt! Thanks again for all the info!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have too much info I guess, so I release it when I can. Ummm, that sounded wierd. Anyways, anytime you got a question, feel free to ask and if I don't know, I will do some research for ya and get you the right answer!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow good work chef glad to see it moving along
Old 05-25-2011, 07:39 AM

Thanks, NV, appreciate it!

Did you see the video/s? lol.

Ok, guys, I'm off to the Machinist to have my LCA's 'REFRESHED', lol. Hoping to be done QUICK, so I can get back, slap that in, new upper stuffs, and then be DONE WITH IT! lol. Oh yeah..... First, alignment, ....then "done with it!" lol.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:33 AM

Wow this thread moves Quick, looking good chef! Props to ya!
BTW where is Palos Verdes CA?

Last edited by 4runFreak; 05-25-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:18 PM

Hey Mr. Freak! Howzit?

Thanks, btw.... it's a bit daunting, seeing as I've not messed with the upper control arms on these, ...but I think I'm gonna do them all, all 8 bushings. Might as well, I have the time over the weekend(Yeah, motor probably not ready til Monday Afternoon... Cutting it close to the trip to my dads! GRRRRR, lol)

BTW, I spoke to Dealerdirectparts.com today, on the phone.... Some knob there was TOTALLY rude to me and sarcastic, condescending as well, when I told him, ...."Sir, ...I'm a lil upset, so bear with me, ...I opened the box of Control Arm bushings, ...what should be a whole set, upper and lowers, all of them,.... Well, there's 8 bushings alright, but they're ALL FOR THE UPPER ARMS! 4 of the front bushing and 4 of the rear, all for the upper arm?????) Puts me on hold, 3 times, keeps talking to me like "Yeah, ...sir, you just SAID, Yes, now you're saying no." So I asked, "What is it you want to know from me? You keep saying 'for the rear or front of the truck'....and there are NO CONTROL ARMS in the rear of the truck. I clarified, 'front and rear bushing for EACH upper arm, ...got 4 of each...only need 4', ...and you're asking me if i need the ones for the rear of the truck or front?" ....."Please hold, SIRRRR", dripping with sarcasm, ... only to return and tell me, are you ready for this?... "Sir, the order is correct... you need 8 bushings for the upper arms on your truck, ...I just looked up the vin and asked the technical supervisor".... I just gave up, but I SURE AS HELL CALLED BACK, speaking with a manager, and just got all return shipping waved, label provided with RMA and full price back on my card.....152$!!!!!!!!!!! No 20% restocking fee. THANKS, FRANCISCO!!! You were a big help!

I don't want this to discourage anyone from using them...they're a great price and free shipping on anything over 100$! But this was the worst customer service experience i've had next to my motor being screwed up by that DOLT! lol.

So, now, I have to drive 40Miles to get the LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS, .....YOU KNOW, THE 4 that I needed, ....and then 40 minutes back to the machine shop to get them pressed in(if he's still there!)

REALLY TICKED, man! lol.

Hey, .... Mr. Freak, ...btw, Palos Verdes Peninsula is between Long Beach and Redondo Beach. It's basically a big Peninsula in between... BEAUTIFUL! It's really San Pedro, first, going south, toward long beach, ....but most people don't know of San Pedro, while they do know of Long Beach, ...home of "THE LBC!" lol.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:20 PM

PS> Reason for rushing to get the Lower Control Arm bushings; I need the lower arms back in before I can remove the uppers(safely)..... AHHHHHHHHHH! lol.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:20 PM

Hm, yeah, I actually have no idea how one would go about removing the control arms on these trucks...which I should probably look up the how-to for cause I still need to yoink em off my parts truck. I take it the torsion bars come out first? and the LCAs last? I'm sure you already planned to post up a step-by-step on the removal process sooo, I'll just stay tuned!
Old 05-25-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Mr. Freak! Howzit?

Thanks, btw.... it's a bit daunting, seeing as I've not messed with the upper control arms on these, ...but I think I'm gonna do them all, all 8 bushings. Might as well, I have the time over the weekend(Yeah, motor probably not ready til Monday Afternoon... Cutting it close to the trip to my dads! GRRRRR, lol)

BTW, I spoke to Dealerdirectparts.com today, on the phone.... Some knob there was TOTALLY rude to me and sarcastic, condescending as well, when I told him, ...."Sir, ...I'm a lil upset, so bear with me, ...I opened the box of Control Arm bushings, ...what should be a whole set, upper and lowers, all of them,.... Well, there's 8 bushings alright, but they're ALL FOR THE UPPER ARMS! 4 of the front bushing and 4 of the rear, all for the upper arm?????) Puts me on hold, 3 times, keeps talking to me like "Yeah, ...sir, you just SAID, Yes, now you're saying no." So I asked, "What is it you want to know from me? You keep saying 'for the rear or front of the truck'....and there are NO CONTROL ARMS in the rear of the truck. I clarified, 'front and rear bushing for EACH upper arm, ...got 4 of each...only need 4', ...and you're asking me if i need the ones for the rear of the truck or front?" ....."Please hold, SIRRRR", dripping with sarcasm, ... only to return and tell me, are you ready for this?... "Sir, the order is correct... you need 8 bushings for the upper arms on your truck, ...I just looked up the vin and asked the technical supervisor".... I just gave up, but I SURE AS HELL CALLED BACK, speaking with a manager, and just got all return shipping waved, label provided with RMA and full price back on my card.....152$!!!!!!!!!!! No 20% restocking fee. THANKS, FRANCISCO!!! You were a big help!

I don't want this to discourage anyone from using them...they're a great price and free shipping on anything over 100$! But this was the worst customer service experience i've had next to my motor being screwed up by that DOLT! lol.

So, now, I have to drive 40Miles to get the LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS, .....YOU KNOW, THE 4 that I needed, ....and then 40 minutes back to the machine shop to get them pressed in(if he's still there!)

REALLY TICKED, man! lol.

Hey, .... Mr. Freak, ...btw, Palos Verdes Peninsula is between Long Beach and Redondo Beach. It's basically a big Peninsula in between... BEAUTIFUL! It's really San Pedro, first, going south, toward long beach, ....but most people don't know of San Pedro, while they do know of Long Beach, ...home of "THE LBC!" lol.
Thanks Chef, i was wondering where it was just so if i ever go there to bring earplugs for the peacocks lol anywho Yeah monday is cutting it close on the motor, but i think i speak for the rest of the Yota Brotherhood when i say, "I have faith in you pulling it off with time to spare." Good Luck bro! Hopefully you will rollin to your dad's in no time
Old 05-25-2011, 07:22 PM

Lil Help? 5-25-11......

I am in the process of "redoing" some of the Suspension.....

So far;

Have the new LCA Bushings in, passenger side LOWER arm installed on new Lower Ball Joints. OMEmu Shocks, BJ spacers, diff and sway drop kit to go in asap.

PROBLEM;

The truck is up on stands and I'm trying to push up on the lower control arms in order to get the UPPER Control arms UP off the Bump Stops, wedge something in there and then remove the Upper Ball Joints, install new Upper Ball Joints and Ball Joint Spacers, shocks, etc.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN I TRY TO PUSH UPWARD ON THE LOWER CONTROL ARM WITH A FLOOR JACK, THE WHOLE TRUCK IS COMING UP ON THAT SIDE AND LITERALLY OFF THE STAND, WITHOUT EVER REALLY LIFTING THE UPPER ARM VERY MUCH AT ALL.

Is this because the Torsion Bars are not loosened?(They've never been 'CRANKED' on) Or, do I have to put the tire back on, on that side, lower it to the ground and bounce on it a lil bit to "SETTLE" the NEW Lower Control Arm Bushings? THEN; Try to push upward with a jack on the lower control arm to force a sort of a "STUFF" of sorts, in order to get to the UCA Ball Joint, etc?????????

Just a bit concerned, guys... i'm running out of time, and I could really use some input from anyone who's done this? Spread the word if you know someone who's done the spacers, etc. I'll ask the few I know as well. Tomorrow and Friday are all I have on the Suspension, then I'll be working on my daughters truck.

Really don't want to start a thread or start PM'ing, .... so I'll try this, first.

THANKS, SO MUCH!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-25-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:07 PM

DAMN! you gotta lot of sutuff going on here. 93 pages of info/posts in one year! kudos. every page i looked at you have something major going on. looks sweet and your rig is friggin nice. you guys inspire me to attempt a project. in time, in time. but a first gen runner is most likely where i will want to go. keep kickin ass!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:39 PM

Chef, i'm starting to think you could have had a SAS done with all this front end repair you're doing! lol
Old 05-25-2011, 08:45 PM

Hey Truckman, ... I know, but I just couldn't dig up the cabbage, lol.

Any ideas as to why it wont stuff? And, the 4 bolts and nuts that go through the LCArm Bushings and mount the LCArm to the Frame.... the book is saying, if I read this right, .......203# Torque Rating???????????? REALLY?

I'm really stuck, guys, ...any ideas?????
Old 05-25-2011, 08:53 PM

what do you mean won't stuff?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 PM

When I push upward on the lower control arm with a floor jack placed beneath it, ...the arms wont go upward, toward the fenderwell, away from the ground.... Rather, the whole truck raises up.

I also just wanted to be sure that those bolts/nuts that hold the Lower Arm into the Frame get torqued to 203#.... as that's candidate for some carnage if it's not so.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:54 PM

I would loosen up the torsion bars first. If that doesnt work retourque it and then put the tire back for extra weight, then from there slowly let the jack down just to settle the new Lower Control Arm Bushings in there. Im pretty sure that will work. And jess be sure to read ALL 93 pages they offer some serious insight on yotaproblems.
Keep Rockin Chef!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:31 PM

i am not sure i understand completely but i will try
if your lower ball joint is all bolted in just let it hang and separate the upper ball joint you can do this by tapping on the spindle where the ball joint goes through and then replace the upper and put you're spacers in if you loosing your torsion bars it will make it easier to pry up on the upper control arm when you go to assemble it

now all this is speculation and i may have got it completely wrong as to what you where asking but as always good luck chef
Old 05-26-2011, 12:12 AM

Yeah, that does seem pretty odd. I've cranked my torsion bars quite a bit and the lca's will still stuff when I jack it up from the bottom of the LCA. Maybe a previous owner tightened them up waaay too much? I agree with Freak, might have to loosen the torsion bars up.

And 203lbs per foot of torque??? O.o Thats kind of discouraging knowing I'm gonna have to remove the uppers and lowers when I finally tackle my LT install. lol. But yeah, sounds like to me that the torsion bars are the issue.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:29 AM

Received 307 Likes on 211 Posts
Morning chef, I dont yet own a set of spacers. Im a cheap-o. Haha. Good luck with your rebuild.

I vote for a high flow cat.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread