86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 06:26 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Guys, .....

FHEWWWWWWWWWW! Craaaaaazy pace day! lol.

Ok, so, a couple things, ..... just to be ridiculously anal and thorough, lol....

1. The TRANS input shaft seal should go into the back of that bearing retainer/housing JUST LIKE IN THE PICTURE YOU POSTED, JOE, correct? Opposite of how it was installed in the picture of MY housing.

2. I have an input shaft seal(<< edited, thanks, Joe) from Napa, but Toyota will have one tomorrow for me, so I'll probably just wait.

3. How would I install this without the 2-S(40t52093r502utr7=[q09wet0q8943t0-8) tool from toyota? I've used sockets, etc., for other bearings.... I've used wood. I've just never driven a bearing into a hole, backwards.... I DO NOT want this Toyota one to bend going in, ya know? lol. The reason I ask, guys, is because the depth of the housing for that seal is over 1/8" deeper than the seal itself. I don't have a socket big enough, but I would assume that the back side of an adequately sized socket might work alright.... or no? lol.

I've cleaned up the surfaces of the trans mounting portion and the housing itself..... all the bolts, SPOTLESS(I want the FIPG to seal WELL on them, ya know?) .....and I think as soon as I get that bearing AND GET IT IN without damage, ...I can install it and move forward with the front diff swap and suspension stuff.

PS> OCDZ, ...in case you stop by, and also to Joe.... thanks, I looked on my engine bay plate and it's a W56 Trans.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-18-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:33 PM

PSS> .... THANKS, Brandon... I appreciate that. I've now got 2 front main seals..so I'm good, but thank you, very much! Weird, I'm noticing that the one the builder installed is around 1/5" thicker than the one I got from Napa a while back.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:50 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
2) Yes that is correct!
3) You're going to have to pick up a cheap socket that fits that hole, or make a punch. I think a socket is the easiest route. I think you meant to say seal instead of bearing but I gotcha
Old 05-18-2011, 08:44 PM

Ok, Joe, thanks. I hear ya on the socket thing...my neighbor has THOUSANDS of tools, surely the right one, to boot! I'll just take the housing to his garage and match that hole where the seal goes with a socket that JUSTTTTTTTTT BARELYYYYYYYYY fits in there, ....sound good? lol.

One thing.... the slot the seal goes in is pretty gouged up. The guy must have used a jagged screwdriver or something to get the original one out. I know that, aside from honing it out and putting a sleeve in there(if they even make one, lol)..... I just have to get the seal in there right and call it a day. The problem is, the gouging I think might make the seal not want to go in straight, and might not adequately seal it up. Do you lightly coat the seal in oil before sliding it in there?

Here's a pic of the bearing retainer/seal housing, all cleaned up and even lightly touched over with 1000 Wet Sand..............

Here's one of the bearing,... with the ears in view for OCDropzone....

Old 05-18-2011, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Ok, Joe, thanks. I hear ya on the socket thing...my neighbor has THOUSANDS of tools, surely the right one, to boot! I'll just take the housing to his garage and match that hole where the seal goes with a socket that JUSTTTTTTTTT BARELYYYYYYYYY fits in there, ....sound good? lol.

One thing.... the slot the seal goes in is pretty gouged up. The guy must have used a jagged screwdriver or something to get the original one out. I know that, aside from honing it out and putting a sleeve in there(if they even make one, lol)..... I just have to get the seal in there right and call it a day. The problem is, the gouging I think might make the seal not want to go in straight, and might not adequately seal it up. Do you lightly coat the seal in oil before sliding it in there?

Here's a pic of the bearing retainer/seal housing, all cleaned up and even lightly touched over with 1000 Wet Sand..............

Here's one of the bearing,... with the ears in view for OCDropzone....

Sounds like you're on the right track. and no oil on the outside, just oil on the inside lip before it goes on the shaft. and as mentioned earlier, spring side is oil side.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
You are moving along pretty good. I think your thread moves 2 pages a day. You will have this going in no time soon.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey Mark, just checking in....looks like things are rolling right along here, good luck brother
Old 05-19-2011, 09:12 AM

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, .......Toyota screwed up and a driver picked up my trans seal and dropped it off in Long Beach! lol. Oh well, I guess I don't mind driving out there, instead of waiting another day! lol. I have to get this together so I can clean up the Bell housing really well(IT'S REALLY a mess in there!)

Soon as I get it in I'll get pics of the process up and the shiny-like-new bolts, cover, etc.! lol. DANG this better solve the leaking! lol. Only reason I say that is cuz of the STUPID PO, who seemed to have used a chisel to get out the old seal ....maybe some small hammers and nails, too! GRRRRRRRRR! I can't surface it down enough to disappear the gouges, ...cuz then it'd not seat in there nice and SUPER-TIGHT like it's supposed to! GOSH I hate half arsed work!
Old 05-19-2011, 02:13 PM

Hey guys, ....well, couple interesting stories... AND PICS! lol.

1.) Guess who my Local Toyota Dealership is using for their machine work, now? NOPE, NOT MY NEW GUY...... YESSSSSSSSSSSSS, VELLIOS! UNREAL, ...I had a longgggg talk today with the head of Service, and the Foreman(whom I know).... They said, "HOLY CRAP, that nightmare motor you brought in here? That's who did it?" ...Happened to have the receipt in my CRV!

2.) NAPA OF CULVER CITY?>>... Ok, I'll refrain... but what they gave me WAS NOT the Trans Input Shaft Seal for the Bearing Retainer...... Rather, it was the Tcase front seal. BTW, the guy took 30 minutes IN THE STORE! LOL. So, I asked him, "What took you? I thought you were making CERTAIN!" he answered, today, "Oh, that was ....I was just trying to match up your housing to the only ones it lists for the transmission and drivetrain section.... all the others are big, ....this is the only one that would fit".... To which I answered, ...'YEAH, AND IT DOESN'T'! lol. (Sticking with Torrance Auto Parts-Napa from now on... IF I need them, lol)

3.) Stopped by CABE Toyota in Long Beach, CA,..... Picked up the Trans input shaft seal from them,.... 9$, MUCH better quality than even the right one at napa, ...I'm sorry, it is! For one thing, the Napa one that IS right has only one ring retainer. The Toyota one has 2, tapered distances. Secondly, .......It's MOSTLY rubber, and was able to seat in there, fairly easily, by just pressing it in by hand with the socket and a lil back and forth pressure. Apparently, according the the head of Tech at that dealer, .... "That seal should NOT BE needing to be forced in there like that. The application of the bearing retainer onto the trans itself finishes the expansion of the outer diameter of the seal, and it WILL NOT leak if you get it in right the first time and don't tweak the seal. Also, we alwayssssss use the fluid in the application at hand.... Thus, use 80W-90 to lube the seal lip before installing. Make sure it's not binding as it goes in, and you're gold. Lastly, we ALWAYS use that Gasket. It's actually a 're-useable' type, and yet, never seems to be reusable, haha. So, just use it, trust me, .... You DON'T HAVE TO, and many dealers dont... but I GUARANTEE it will go longer before it leaks again that solely RTV. Oh, one more thing... We use Gear Oil Tack Sealant... it's a brush on stuff. don't need to goop anything on there, ...in fact, it changes clearances, etc. Plus, it can get in the channels and wind up in the bearings, top or bottom. JUST ENOUGH to COAT it, then slap in the gasket."

4. Ordered the GASKET from DCH Toyota(4$....I'd be more comfortable, guys,..not saying ANYTHING about any other input that I've got.) I could make one, I have the stuff from 3M, ...but I'd rather just get it for 4$, ya know? lol. I'll have it tomorrow and then it's 'SLAP'N IT TOGETHER' TIME!

Then, after #4, I can clean up the Bell Housing really well, SPOTLESS, lol, once that bearing retainer is back in there and snugged up and cured!

Pics of the new SEAL(i TYPED BEARING AGAIN, LOL), installed, and Part Number in case anyone needs it.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-19-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey mark don't get down maybe take a light coat of rtv on the outside of the seal just to possibly plug the scars by the previous owner
never mind

Last edited by nvtoyota; 05-19-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:27 PM

Hey NV, ...think we posted at EXACTLY the same time.... Check it out^^ lol. Post above you.

Thanks man, really appreciate you stopping by and liftin me up a lil! lol. It's been crazy... But really, it HAS TO WORK, EVENTUALLY, yeah?
Old 05-19-2011, 02:31 PM

yep that seems to be the way it is
when you do the transfer case split are you going to pull the transmission and transfer down or split it in the truck
yeah same time
Old 05-19-2011, 02:34 PM

I'm not sure I'm going to mess with the Tcase right now,...not just yet. I have to be careful not to put too much on the MENU(NO PUN INTENDED!...ok, just a lil, haha). I am pretty sure it was over filled. When I pulled the fill plug, fluid POURED out of there like almost a quart and it wasn't finished. Not sure how they got it that full without it leaking, but I suspect it is leaking at the bolt/washer for the fill portion.... in fact, i can see it! lol. I'll try that first, pressure wash everything up really well, then watch and wait for the indications of where it's leaking from, IF AT ALL(when filled to the proper level).

And, even if it is leaking,...its' SO SLOW, ......it's just getting blow all over, over time. BTW, it's covered in zerk lubing project oversplash! lol. Like I said, ....gotta verify it's not just leaking back from the trans, etc., ya know?
Old 05-19-2011, 02:57 PM

yep yep time to get greasy washing it all off
Old 05-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Chef, your thread moves quick. Sorry about all the tough things that have been happening. Murphys law gets around to everyone. I know you will get it. Still here hoping things get better.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:51 PM

I'll admit, the fill plug on mine was hard to find, cause it was so covered in mud/grease like so:

So PO probably thought you filled it from the top by removing the stick and pouring it in. As you can also tell by the darker mud-grease, I need to replace the seal as well, I imagine even when filled to the proper level, it'll still slowly leak. but its a 1st gen, thats just to be expected, lol
Old 05-19-2011, 07:28 PM

Thanks, guys! Glad to hear from ya'all!

BTW, for those who can't take time to read that last post..... my "thing I found out recently" is, .................

** My Local Dealer, DCH Toyota, is now using the Machinist that did my rebuild last year! I had a long talk with them, and basically told them, ...."You've been warned, ....and just ask 'OFF THE RECORD' to the many other builders around here, .... I think you'll reconsider your choice!"
Old 05-20-2011, 08:49 AM

Hahaha... I thought that^^^ would spark more, 'YOU'RE KIDDING'S lol.... but I know, it's a busy week for everyone.

Well, I stopped by the machinist, and was told;

"Mark, ....this crank he REPLACED your original one with? TRASH! You can take it or throw it in the scrap bin, your choice... but I WILL NOT put that back in your block. It's out of round, NOT EVEN CLOSE to balanced(he said he balanced it and the flywheel for me, the last guy)...and it's already over ground to where I would be uncomfortable. 30 and 20 over? Yeah, we need to use the other one, but good news, ...that crank? ...the one you pulled out of that block? They're pretty sure they can get it perfect with no more than 10-over! They're going to try to polish it up, but I'm pretty sure it needs a lil grind cuz they had spun the 2 center rod bearings."

That's the update, for now.... I'm off to get the gasket and then run back and finish lunch, then slap it in and start on whatever else I can!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-20-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:44 AM

Maybe you got thru to the guys at the dealership and they will find someone else. Glad you had another crank ready to go even if it needs a little bit of a grind, you saved time hunting another one. Hope you get a lot done today.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:45 AM

Thanks, a LOT, Jason! I appreciate that, ....one of those days, ....mm hmm. lol.

JUST got back from all my errands(work of other forms, lol) going wrong, ....taking forever, and yet, s'all good, so I'll get to it after finishing up their lunch... Then I have to take off from 5-6pm to drop my sister at a Reunion Party..... Ok, sorry, rambling, but anyway, I'm TRYING! LOL.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread