86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 10:34 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
REALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY???? !!! ???? ahhhhhh :(

Ok, ..... now this will be short, .....as I've REALLY, ABSOLUTELY had enough for the day! lol. I'd like to say I'm shocked and awed, ...but really? Yeah.....

I'll let the pics speak for themselves....

This is the top right bolt hole behind the Top Right Channel of the Timing cover(Just want to share, ...I HAVE NEVER overtorqued anything on this motor, not once. Secondly, .... I now know why I had a tiny timing cover leak at the right/middle/top(driver side) of the timing cover....And finally, when I got the motor back, .....he had put an aftermarket bolt in that hole, .....why? Because I had removed the Alt. bracket that goes right in front of the cover on that one. Apparently, he must have overtorqued it, initially, ....I'm guessing 'with a bolt that barely started to thread in there?..... it bound up and jumped a thread, and that's EXACTLY why, if you remember a few pages back, "I had to replace that bolt when doing the timing cover, as I could NOT get the existing one that was originally there to even START threading...{the one I removed when removing the alt. bracket, ya know???} I also did NOT force it. Rather, I simply went down and got another bolt,....3 in fact, so that I would have one that sat the PERFECT depth in that hole.

Oh, and I almost forgot.... This is the Brand New harmonic after 4500 Miles on a brand new Seal......

........ oh, >>

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-07-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:17 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
oh man.

why does it see to me that the damage would come from a bolt being too short rather that too long but in the same breath it seems that an aluminum timing cover would say uncle before your block would.

I don't know what to say to that top pic...if you are screwed or what. I would think you have at least 3/4'' of iron left to thread into. chance that you block fell??? on that corner. I find it hard to believe that any human could cause that damage.

I feel sick for ya.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dang the devil.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:46 AM

All I can say is daaanng, you just can't catch a break man. Sorry
Old 05-08-2011, 09:37 AM

Portion of block cracked off.... ANYONE?

(See above pics if you've not been here since May 7th, late evening)...

Thanks, Guys, ..... Yeah, I don't know what to say, either, Jason.

Jerry, ....Not sure what you mean by, "chance that you block fell??? on that corner." ..... ??? I know one thing, ...it finally collapsed/disintegrated as I put in that last cover.... Then, when I removed the bolts, this time, it came apart. As I wiggled back and forth to get the cover free from the block/pan, ....I could see a piece of that break/collapse/WHATEVER, ...could see a piece sticking to the back of the timing cover gasket.

I DID NOT use locktite and I did NOT use too short or too long a bolt and I did not over tighten it, etc. I used templates, every time I've done ANYTHING on this dang PAIN IN MY ARSE AND BRAIN! Honest, ... I had the original bolt to go back in there, ...but it would never grab.... I THINK I KNOW WHY! Honestly?>>> MAYBE the block was dropped on that corner by his shop? Or MAYBE....: The guy hadn't done one of these in a while, and did NOT read up in the book,.......thus, he didn't realize that that particular bolt wasn't needed until the motor got back to me, ....that I HAD IT, ....due to the alternator bracket placement, etc., ya know? So, when he used that ''bolt'' he found that would fit, .... it fractured that corner of the block/thread surrounding. Hell, maybe it wasn't even THE RIGHT SIZE THREAD PITCH~!

I can only guess at this point... and I'M DONE even thinking about it... All I wanna know is, "CAN IT BE FIXED?", like Jerry was mentioning.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-08-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Posting a title....
Old 05-08-2011, 10:40 AM

man that sucks sorry i don't know if you can fix it i know there are probably a million ways to rig it but no clue on how to fix it back to original
Old 05-08-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
2. Separate the Drive shaft from the Third yolk
Chef, you cooking eggs again?!?!?!
Old 05-08-2011, 11:50 AM

post a pic of the broken spot. i think i know which one you are talking about but need to make sure. (theres always ways to fix stuff. it's just metal.)
Old 05-08-2011, 12:03 PM

Truckman,..... YOU KNOW I'm cookin eggs, homie! hahaha. Eggs Florentine, today, with Tater's O'Brien and Fresh fruit Bellini's.

Here's a "more exploded view"... that what you meant?..........>>>

Old 05-08-2011, 01:20 PM

tht sux man. i dont even know how you get this bad of luck. not really sur what u can do. the only thing tht pops in my head is jb weld but i dont think tht will work
Old 05-08-2011, 01:27 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
nah...I meant did he have the motor out to do the work or was it left in. if he had it out that's what i meant by "did it fall" on that corner.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
nah...I meant did he have the motor out to do the work or was it left in. if he had it out that's what i meant by "did it fall" on that corner.
Jerry, .... ahhhhhhh, lol. That was my sigh, ....and now I'll answer, lol. I pulled the motor, disassembled much of it, and his 'GUY' picked it up(oddly enough, the same guy was doing my head when I stopped by one day, lol). If you look, the other corner looks similar.... as if it has been through heat cycles or stress or whatever caused this. As you can imagine, .....I'm a lil apprehensive to even use this motor anymore, especially since, well, this 'break' didn't happen to FULLY come undone until I slapped the new cover on. How can I KNOW that the rest will hold up after 'mickey mousing' this other corner. I know, 'paranoid' might come to mind with some.... but, REALLY????????? Obviously, anyone who's been through this and my troubleshooting thread knows IT'S NOT EVEN paranoia! lol. It's 'LEGITIMATE CONCERN', ...am I right? hahaha.

Thanks, Twisted... I appreciate you stopping by! I am not sure it'll work, either. Not a common problem, I'm assuming! lol

PS> I'm pulling the rear third right now, as you read this. Might have to swap in the locked 4.30's after dinner or tomorrow, as Mom's has to come first, yah know? lol.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:27 PM

Well, ..... I got a response from Ted, who would love to comment on here, but I think it's just a 'slow dial up' thing that takes forever to sign in, etc.... so he just went to the pics on here, read up a bit and commented/responded, as such,>>>>>

"Hi.

This is Ted, Tod's Dad. I took a look at the pics, the block is history in my opinion. Sure it can be fixed but I would never trust it. The break is fresh so either a bad thread or something cross threaded would be my best guess.

The bores look OK, signs of some oil, not much. Odd, I don't think you reported any oil consumption or anything like that earlier, but...? Valve seals are rare on this design but if any guides are bad, seals don't last long.

I don't agree on the bronze guides comments, even if my kid does say so. He doesn't know anything, Dad is ALWAYS right!...*LOL**.. (I forgotted more than he ever knew...*sputter...)

That rusty bolt was put in that way I think. Probably still fine, buff it off unless the threads show any damage. Or buy a new set, they are inexpensive.
Ted"

Hahahaha.... I love reading his emails/threads/commentary! lol. I guess that's why I sig'd his statement, below, haha.

HOWEVER, I'm not happy to hear what he feels is 'just no doubt-NO GOOD'! lol. I'm also not happy to hear the oil consumption thing, either.

At this point, ...I suppose I might be best served AT LEAST replacing the block,.... maybe keeping the fairly new Pistons, etc. Just replace all the rings, etc, as I'd have to break in a new block, .....eh?

Thoughts would be appreciated, BIG TIME!

Mark
Old 05-08-2011, 05:40 PM

Mark I hate to say it but I agree with Ted, you know if you try and fix the block You have you will always worry if it's gonna hold, your Just that kinda person. A fresh engine bottom up is the only way your gonna feel right about it. Besids then you can fix the tranny leak etc. Just my 2 cents
Old 05-08-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
3rz swap, chef... I even got a complete motor here for you... Your choice of heads... 499 and I'll even deliver it myself(price negotiable)
Old 05-08-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
3rz swap, chef... I even got a complete motor here for you... Your choice of heads... 499 and I'll even deliver it myself(price negotiable)
I will DEFINITELY, HIGHLY consider doing so, brudda!

Let me know what's involved, please? (Harness, etc.,? ) I was thinking of the 1UZ swap, but that's getting into 3G's or so to do it right with a fairly fresh motor, etc. Even the 3.4, .....sounds good, but I'm not sure what's involved. Help me out on the swap details? I saw a 16V 22re the other day, Celica GT motor..... not sure how much of a headache that would be, either, ...but I'M READY AT THIS POINT TO DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT! lol.

I hear ya, Jason..... it just SUCKS, all around, but NO WAY this will stop me, either! lol.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:51 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
^^^ 3rz for the win!
Old 05-08-2011, 06:04 PM

If you swap to a different engine and find yourself without a use for your header, cold air kit etc I would be glad to buy them you know just to help your cash flow haha siriusly
Old 05-08-2011, 06:08 PM

Dang Chef!! We jus can't seem to catch a break on these motors eh? I wouldn't think that the block is fixable or wouldnt really trust it like Ted said. I would take up space junks offer for that 3rz. Especially for the price. Keep us posted on what you decide
Old 05-08-2011, 10:10 PM

Can't really decide as of yet, because, well, ...while I know that swap is not CRAZY/mission impossible and such, lol..... I would need to do a lil more research(been at it for at least an hour.5, tonight, lol) before I could bite that bullet, ya know? VERY GRATEFUL to Space, and I'm not saying no! lol.... I know it involves pulling the whole dash and replacing most of that portion of the chassis harness.... also the main harness needs a bit.... Still reading, and it gets confusing reading through Big Mikes pages, etc., when EXHAUSTED! lol.

Either way, I think this block should come out..... and IF I was to fix this motor, finish up the head, etc.(bout 230$ with all new valves, guides, seals and exhaust and intake resurfacing, OEM Head, Intakes/TBody and TCover Gaskets)....... I wondered one big thing.....

If I find a block for cheap, already bored to 20 over, great. But, if I can only find an old block cheap, .....CAN I HAVE MY CRANK, BEARINGS, PISTONS(I'D HAVE TO HAVE THE RINGS DONE, RIGHT?), RODS, INTO A USED AND THEN HONED OUT BLOCK?????? That would be pretty on the cheap, right?(IOW, ...what should I pay to have a block honed/surfaced and readied for my crank, etc's???

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread