86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 05:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry Truckman, ...I thought I made it really clear...........(<<<< that is NOT meant to be sarcastic in ANY WAY!... I should have gotten pictures, or video, so it would be really clear, ...but they have the camera and have gone out! grrrrr! lol. )

"I CAN NOT get the PLENUM to budge away from the LOWER INTAKE"

I have to first get the plenum off so I can get to all the injectors, fuel rail, then remove the intake. I know all about the allen bolt through the stat housing, etc....... Just can't seem to get the plenum to break away from the lower intake...it's like it's crazy glued! lol.

The stud channels of the Plenum that slide over the studs(the only two studs that hold on the plenum to the intake with nuts--- Lower) ...those channels are a lil deep and very tight around the studs, ..so they don't allow for rocking back and forth on the plenum to separate it from the lower intake.

Anyway, ..... I guess I might just soak the gasket for a bit with something??????(and no, I did NOT use any sealant.... only used sealant on the Intake - tp - Head surface.)

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-02-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:00 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Hit it with your purse. lol. Sorry Chef can't help ya with this one.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Hit it with your purse. lol. Sorry Chef can't help ya with this one.
HAHAHAHA, ...I actually laughed for 10 seconds after spitting out Soda Water with Lemon all over my work bench after that simple, "USE YOUR PURSE" commentary!lol... I needed that.

Ok, so you can't help me with this one.... does that mean you've not encountered this problem? lol. I'm serious, man,.....it feels LITERALLY WELDED, one to the other! lol.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:09 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Nope Haven't had that problem on mine. No fuel injection so I only got a 1 piece intake. 22R FTW!!!! And I didn't take Jerry's apart nor put it back together.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would use a rubber mallet or a dead blow and just give it a few whacks see if it will break loose. That my .02 on getting stuff apart lol
Old 05-02-2011, 07:12 PM

(Below message; Typed over an hour ago, .....But; Before hitting enter, ...my sister called with the old "OMGOSH, I have some Vista Thing Anti-Virus thingymadoer popping up a million windows, it wont go off, ..can't open my"..... oh boy! lol..... I told her, "STOP, don't click ANYTHING, turn it off"... but it was too late.... ) Anywhoooooooo>>>

GOT IT!

Tip; When trying to break free a STUBBORN PLENUM, "Push from passenger side(with your purse or not, doesn't matter ) against the top of the upper part of the plenum, toward the valve cover and downward a TINY bit(45* downward and simultaneously toward the valve cover)" After all the lightly tapping from the 'notch' spot on the plenum from behind, then wiggling while pulling toward me and up.....WHICH DID NOTHING, .... just lightly pressing toward the valve cover and slightly downward and it pOPPEd free, quick! lol.

1. I see quite a bit of residue/oil/rejected fuel?... in the #3 and #4 Ports of the main/lower intake.

2. The plenum is VERY CLEAN(will have pics, later) after 5K miles(normal I'm sure)

3. Damper, fuel rail and Injectors out

4. Intake next.....

wish me luck! lol.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:24 PM

good luck!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
God luck Chef!!! Glad to hear you found a guy to go over the motor/head once it's out.

I do fee for you having to go through all this again.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:16 AM

Hahha, thanks, Cougar!

Hey Lumpy, ..... Yeah, it sucks, but I'll live, lol. I just want to be done with the MAJOR stuff, and know it's good to go, ...FOR GOOD!(Ok, at least for a while! lol.)

Almost there, man.... and I PROMISE, ....I'll get pics! lol.

Good news, ....... When I was serving dinner last night, ....they said, "Mark, take your time this time, you can use our CRV for whatever you need, we'll borrow his sons extra car, the Audi Sedan".... So that's good! lol.

Gotta find out on the head I have, ... then, if it's needing anything major, whether I'll order a Putney's or Engnbldr head....or just have mine fixed, FINALLY surfaced(since it never was on either vertical side), etc.... Hmmmmmmm, lol.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:14 PM

Ok, some pics as promised... I really hope some of my more experienced 22re Homies will chime in on what they think of how things appear after under 5K Miles ....

Plenum....

CAM.........

Intake Valve.......(I'll get more later)...

Block.............

Bottom side of Head.........

Well, ...the holes look cross hatched, etc., and very clean(at least the 2 I can see look good, lol).... As you can see, those are my original valves(at least the intake), as I REALLY doubt that he spent an extra chunk of change just to give me brand new Toyota Valves. I KNOW, it's not uncommon for a machinist to regrind valves, and I'm sure, Toyota Valves are some of the best.... I'm guessing he either put new tips on em or just shaved em down? I'm guessing also that these are the original springs, etc, and the rest is new, guides, caps, etc.

Any thoughts? Tops of those pistons look a lil blackened for 5K? That crud is pretty thick on there. I can see the "0.20" on top of the piston... so I'm guessing they're new. Looks like he just ordered what he thought needed replacing?

Thanks, guys, for ANY THOUGHTS... I'll post my finds asap, .....

Mark
Old 05-03-2011, 11:20 PM

OH, and that rusty Head Bolt hole? The head bolt is COMPLETELY rusty. Not like a science experiment of build up bad, but it's completely rusted, and as you can see, the hole is as well. Again, this is a FULLY rebuild block at -5K Miles. Is that NORMAL?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:10 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
awww man.

ho

le

crap!

I gotta admit, I've been quite buys here at the homestead ...as you know, we were putting some hours in on Joe's motor and have not be on any build threads and such in a while (PS...where is Rob?)....and I have become horrified at seeing you cracking your motor open. I guess I missed the decision to do this.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:50 AM

Hey Jerry, ..... thanks, man.

Yeah, I don't think it's crazy for me to do so, considering all that this guy did wrong....

And; Between the pretty decent miss, and what is becoming a fairly loud metallic tick and now the latest Jake Brake sounding thing it's doing, ..... oh, and the new timing cover leak and existing oil pan leak, front main leak and trans seal or possibly rear main leak...... I'm TIRED of messing around, Jerry. In just basically 5 hours, it's ready to pull.... so why not, eh? If all the parts are fine and it's an EGR leak through the exhaust port in the head,.... oh well, at least I can KNOW that everything of 'MAJOR IMPORTANCE' checked out, right? Even Putney's, who has listened, seen pics, along with Tod and Ted, are really DYING to know what this is and all have said, "Yeah, that's not right, ...something is definitely amiss in the mechanical realm".

BTW, my adjusters seem to be wearing just fine......But I'm GUESSING(literally, lol) that POSSIBLY.......>>> Maybe one of those rear exhaust valve tips(fairly sure they're my original exhaust valves) are not holding up.... and maybe, just maybe, these are NOT my original rockers. What I do NOT see on them, any of them, is the markings that I'm seeing on the ones I had donated to me by my buddy Andy. The ones I just found that he gave me have the "V-1" "V-2", etc., on them. Again, ...I can't see him(The machinist who screwed up so many things on my motor) having bought all new Rockers, even aftermarket, ....unless he found mine were beyond refinishing(VERY rare, from what I've heard/read).

Anyway, ......ANYONE HAVE any comments on the conditions of the tops of the pistons, etc?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Well I think they seem a lil dark, carbonated, what have you. I'm just running out of ideas and thoughts. It could have been running a lil rich, you did say you had bad gas mileage.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:03 AM

Yeah, ....it could have been more of a rich thing. Also, I'm in L.A., the home of "Hurry up and WAIIIIIIIIIIIIT" at the stop signs, lights, etc. We spend more time idling than driving, really. I mention this because, well, it seemed to get around 22MPG on the HWY and 15.5MPG, BABYING IT, in the city. Something to do with the IDL portion of my AFM, TPS, something, maybe, ..... although, I've checked them all 400 TIMES! lol. But really, .... even a lil rich, after 4500 Miles or so, those piston tops don't look a bit riddled with carbon? .....I'm asking, not being a smart ass, promise! hahhaa.

PS> In Ian's(IRAB) timing chain thread, ..I just read the portion where he had a tough head bolt to get out.... it was the SAME ONE as mine that's rusty(mine came out no problem...but it is VERY rusty compared to the rest, which are all nice and clean.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-04-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:16 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
ha, and i looked through other threads that had a problem with that same bolt. some of the other bolts actually have holes for oil, but not that one. dunno why
Old 05-04-2011, 10:39 AM

I know, Ian(AKA-FTMoment... "GUMBY"), hehehe, ..... BUT, .... if these were new or at least refinished head bolts, ............. should it be that bad after 4500 MILES???? I'll get a pic right now.... bbin5
Old 05-04-2011, 10:57 AM

Hey guys, .... just shot a couple more pics, lil better ones, before I head off to my new Machinist with the head, rocker assembly, extra rockers and even the OLD OEM CAM from HELL! lol. Plus lots of pics of the piston tops, ridges/rims, cyl. conditions, etc.

Here's that bolt, ...and yeah, it's not as rusted as some I've seen, haha. But just seems odd to me after 4500 miles with NO HG leak, etc. Hmmmm.........

The hole that goes in(I cleaned it up a lil last night, ...sorry. But it's pretty corroded in there..........

Some more shots of the piston tops.... and I must correct myself, from earlier, ....they say, "0.50", not "0.20".... ?????? I'm sure it makes sense.. just throwing me, lol......

Ok, that's it for now, lol. Not trying to ask anyone to 'DIAGNOSE THE EXACT CONDITION OF MY MOTOR OVER THE NET, ....HURRY UP", HAHAHA... Just trying to get opinions. I mean, that looks like some motors I've taken apart at 100K! Not the cylinders walls, but the piston tops, lol.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:21 PM

Update;

Took my head, rocker assembly and old cam that was lunch down to a new QUALITY machinist...... 8 minutes later, ..."I'll check the rocker assembly in more depth, ...but see this?"... he had removed the springs already, ......."EVERY ONE of these exhaust valves should have been thrown in the trash, ESPECIALLY #3, ..AND ALL of these valve guides are shot, ...and more importantly, they're the originals. All he did was reseal it, .....So; There is, 99% SURE, most all of your miss, terrible around town mileage and all that carbonized oil on the tops of those pistons at 4500 miles after rebuild, RIGHT THERE!"..... I could literally see the play between the valves and guides to a dramatic level.

Guess it's a good thing I tore it down now, after all, eh? lol.

All new set of valves, guides and gaskets ordered, shipping out tomorrow(OEM-HG)

PS> Both this machinist and Engnbldr(Tod) spoke today, and Tod told me, "This guy is VERY much aware of his stuff... you're in good hands". Good thing to hear, lol.

I sure hope nothing in the bottom end has any drama... but today's machinist told me, today, "Oh, I know Harry well, and he's not a bad guy, but he's got these bunch of , ....well, let's just say "unskilled laborers" now, doing the heads and assembly of the 'ACCESSORY' type stuffs, like timing cover, etc. His machining is second to none, ..but those guys, ...mehhhh! .... HE STILL does all the block work, and if you're not smoking, no oil consumption, ..... I'd put dollars against the likelyhood of an issue in the bottom end. But as you can see, ......he let that 'head guy' of his SCREW THIS UP, bad!"

PS> Let's just say I saved my SERIOUS SLANDER of "HARRY" for my homies, ....as "professional courtesy" can blur lines, etc., ya know? Just told him about the timing chain kit, timing cover, and the rest he can see for himself, eh? lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-04-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:39 PM

good to hear that you hopefully figured it out chef! im hopin nothing is wrong with the bottom end, that would sure suck. good luck and best wishes chef!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread