86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 04:29 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
i wish i knew the distributor question but i'll say, sure why not....it doesn't start now and if you move it a tooth and it doesn't start...put it back and eliminate that possibility

i had a beech of a time getting the fuel line to connect to the CSI, so i took the CSI mostly out, then attached the line, then attached the CSI
Old 05-22-2010, 04:29 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I have to go take pics of my daughter and her friends before prom.....I'll be back by 7:30....PLEASE, anyone with ANY input, whether you feel it's nothing or whatever, JUST GIVE'IT'TO'ME! HAHAHAH.

I really want to get this thing running, but I'm concerned I'll damage the motor if I keep trying to start it while it's not firing....GRRRRRRR. BTW, it ALMOSTTTTTTTTT fired up, .....then popped 3 times quickly, out the exhaust, then ..........nothing. It is TRYING to fire, I can tell that, ......I guess it's just a matter of the 'timing', like 92 suggested.....or maybeeeeeeeeeee, maybe it's one of YOU GUY'S' FABULOUS SUGGESTIONS it could be! hahaha
Old 05-22-2010, 04:31 PM

Yeah, the CSI went on fine, and it was leaking, but I snugged it up and voila, no more leaky! That underpipe by the way, 92???? 138$$$$$ !!!!!!!!!!!!! So, yeah, I'ma try EVERYTHING first, cuz I'd rather buy a new intake than do that!
Old 05-22-2010, 04:32 PM

Hey 92.....send whomever you can over here, hahaha. I'll be back in a lil bit and THANK YOU, Sir, for the input you've offered thus far. Hope you have a nice evening, m8!

Mark
Old 05-22-2010, 10:57 PM

Well, it's official...either I'm totally overwhelmed with trying to work and do 1,000 things for my daughters, family, more work, ...PLUS THIS, ORRRRRRRRRRRRRR, I'm just an idiot! lol.

Yes, folks, you have your new fodder for the month, .....I had the firing order wrong on the Cap! AHHHHHHHHH, I had memorized it 20 times over, and then, suddenly, when being rushed and the phone was ringing 47 times during the installation...I MOVED THE WIRES AND DIDN'T DOUBLE CHECK! In fact, I wound up moving them to 1,2,3,4!!!!..Thus, the "POPPPPPPP, CHUGA-CHUGA-CHUGA- POPPPPPPPP-POPPPPPPP!!!!!" hahahaha, I just can't stop laughing at myself.....Fhew! lol. And trust me, I ACTUALLY NEEDED A GOOD LAUGH, so I don't care who it comes from....EVEN MYSELF! 1,2,3,4....GEEESH, ...I know, the 2 goes on the end, hahahaha, but oh well, 'STUPID IS 'Z' STUPID DUZ, MAMA SAID'....Jk, she never said that, ....but you get my drift.

Now, being that it was 8pm when I got back, then had to prepare dinner......I got a late start toward the garage, ....but I DID go out there and verify, ..."yep, ya knob, ya done went dyslexic on yerself!!!!" Ahhhhhhhhhhh, embarrassing! But, I figure 'better to be honest and give fodder to the kind new friends on Yotatech(WHEREVER you all are on this fine weekend! lol), than lie and reap POSSIBLY EVEN MORE bad luck!"..lhahaha.......I actually don't believe in luck, but, ....again,....YOU GET THE POINT! LOL.

So, I DID fix the firing order, WHICH, btw, WAS A PITA, due to having to rewire all the looming kit...but that's ok, at least I know WHY it wouldn't start! AT LEAST I HOPE THAT'S THE ONLY REASON WHY, ..........shhhhhhhhh! lol.

Ok, so a question......Is it possible that I did damage, trying to start it several times? OMGOSH, I pray I've not messed things up ROYALLY! I CAN NOT fire it up, tonight, so I'll have to do it in the morning, after preparing breakfast. Please, have pity on a fool, ...don't ride me too hard over this? lol.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:53 AM

doubt it could have done anything bad.

good luck...i will check in tonight.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:59 AM

WOW, .....NO SLANDEROUS MOCKING? lolol.....jkkkkkk!

Thanks, 92, I knew you'd have my 6! OOH RAHHH! While I'm at it, I figured I'd share another couple funny things I did along the way.........

1. I think I've mentioned, already, pages ago, I put that passenger side pipe in, that mounts vertically into the back of the timing cover, then up into the IACV and other things?.......and I screwed the bolts in, snugged em up.......stood back......and then watched it fall on the ground! lol...I had screwed the bolts in from the back, out toward the grill, hahahaha. The threads are on the back side! Now that one, seeing that it was harmless, had me laughing for 20 minutes, off and on.

2. I hooked up the Starter, knock sensor, oil sending unit.... and a couple other things, I'm sure....., and then, I realized that those wires have to go over and through the lower intake-right, in front of where the upper intake bolts up to it! .......I was laughing hard, once again! Mainly because, I got so excited that I was putting it all back together, ...getting close!!!........and then, ...THAT! lol. No big deal though, all came apart easy and ran it through the top.

3. As 92 mentioned, pages ago, "The battery's hooked up??? EEEEEEEEEk!" Well, I never had it ground, but 'THINGS HAPPEN', so, I unhooked it, removed it, but then, ....after getting close, I put it in, ...then I went to tighten the new banjo's down on the damper with a long 22mm wrench,......and "POPPPP", said the spark shower as I made 'ground' with the opposite end of the wrench that was on the damper to the POSITIVE! DANG I'm lucky on that one! Fhewwwww, lol.

I'm going to start a thread on this stuff, eventually(What OOPS have you done while working on your Toys?), if there isn't one yet.

I guess 4 STUPIDIOT's along the way of so many things that are new to me....not so bad, ...but I figured I'd share, anyhow.

OK, NOW, ...I'm just done serving breakfEAST, and I'm heading out to..............

.............FIRE HER UP! Wish me 'purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr's, K?

Thanks guys, hopefully I'll be back with a video, soon!

Mark

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-23-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:10 AM

Sorry i missed this!

Originally Posted by seanmearse
Can't wait to hear the results!!! I havent commented much, been consumed with work and training, sucks, but hey, I got a paycheck coming in now!!!
THAT'S FRIGGEN FANTASTIC, SEAN!!!! Trust me, I don't take for granted the longevity I've had in this career......and I KNOW how hard it is right now! Great to hear, .....SEAN IS A WORKIN STIFF AGAIN, FOLKS! ...Ok, now, back to ME, ME, ME,....jk, off to do my first run on the heart of the Ruby Red!

L8r t8rs!
Old 05-23-2010, 08:54 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Chef wheres the video?? We need to see her purrin!! Sounds like you solved the problem...
Old 05-23-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
THAT'S FRIGGEN FANTASTIC, SEAN!!!! Trust me, I don't take for granted the longevity I've had in this career......and I KNOW how hard it is right now! Great to hear, .....SEAN IS A WORKIN STIFF AGAIN, FOLKS! ...Ok, now, back to ME, ME, ME,....jk, off to do my first run on the heart of the Ruby Red!

L8r t8rs!

Thanks man, it feels good to be working again, but, onto the video of your truck!!!
Old 05-23-2010, 09:48 AM

Hey guys,

Bad news, to a point. Fired it over, and it started on the first crank of the starter, and it stays running, but was missing pretty bad. My neighbor was feeling the #2 and said, 'THAT'S THE PROBLEM, it's touchable, even after 20 seconds....the rest are screamin hot.

So;

1. Tested the wire, CHECK
2. Switched the plugs from 2 and 3, Check(it's #2)
3. Tested compression, 165, 165, 165, 165, pretty much within a pound of each other.

SOOOOO, WTH???? My neighbor says, and I agree, 'IT'S GOT to be fuel to #2 causing the problem. You'll have to somehow check the wire on that one, but I'm not really an injector guy'...........Guys..........if this injector is bad, I'MA BEAT SOMEONE HALF TO COMA! Then 92 will have to keep them alive! lol, jk....but really, GOOD GRIEF! Do they have separate fuses? Could it be the ECU not sending signal to that injector? Is it most likely the wire? Or injector?

HELPPPPPPPPPP!

ps> I think that hose is still leaking, TEEEEEEEEEENY bit. But then again, it's not been under the normal tremendous pressure, so who knows if it will FLOWWWWWWWWW, right?

Sorry guys, I know you wanted to see it purring as much as me, but I've hit a snag, so ANY HELP, please?
Old 05-23-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, to see if its the injector, swap it with another and see if its the same cylinder, if the issue follows the injector, there's your problem, if it doesn't, the problem is somewhere else.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:22 AM

Yeah, ...that's a HUGE endeavor, is it not? I've been up over it for 20 minutes, .....still can't seem to get the connector off to test it.....and I'm not sure how to test it, anyhow. Guess it's time for MORE RESEARCH! I checked on here, but I can't find anything.

This is really frustrating, Man! DANG it sounded good even with running on 3! lol. just had the injectors redone, tested 'excellent' on every one, after full rebuild and bench test. If I can get the wire connector off the injector, how do i test it, guys??????
Old 05-23-2010, 11:07 AM

Anyone? I'm just trying to find out, at this point, if there's a way to get the wiring connector to the #2 injector off and test it, w/out removing the entire upper intake. I really doubt it's the injector, considering RC Injectors did them to 'like new' condition....and they've never been used until now.

Do I test the ECU harness first?

Do I test the connector with the key on or do I have to turn it over?

Really stuck here, guys. I know it's Sunday, and I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 05-23-2010, 11:31 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
I'm stumped as well Chef, I wish I could help! It doesn't make sense that its the injectors like you said...

I would check your connections, and test the ECU. I think it just has to be on, but don't leave ignition in "on" position for more than 10 mins
Old 05-23-2010, 11:40 AM

Joe, thanks, ...

I've been reading for the last hour, trying to figure this out, before I go out there and fiddle around with TEARING IT ALL DOWN to get the injectors out.....and I've found that many causes for "#2 Injector" code(haven't checked for codes yet, just saying, ...IT'S NOT getting fuel, and it's newly rebuilt to like new)..that many times the cause is a short or bad driver in the ECU. I'm having A LOT of trouble even getting the connector off the Fuel injector to test for voltage, ...but if I find no power to it, would my problem most likely be the ECU?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:51 AM

By the way, guys,

I started it and it fired right up, first click, as I said,....but didn't let it run below 2200rpms, as suggested. However, it's only ran for like 2 minutes, total, trying different things. Will I be ok to check the injector really quick at idle, then turning it off asap? I don't want to damage the RV cam!!!
Old 05-23-2010, 01:34 PM

Dang, ..........I guess it's a ghost town around here, today. Thanks for the responses thus far, .....

I guess I'm off to Auto-Zone to borrow their Noid Light, ...hopefully, it'll have an adapter in there to check my wiring connector. From what I'm reading, if your injector is not clicking, check to see if it's getting power with a noid light, and if not, it's usually the ECU or a break in the connection somewhere. GOOD LORD, does this mean that I'd have to completely tear down that harness spaghetti from the U section to the ECU, looking for breaks? Holy crapoli~! I also read that there are 'drivers', in the ECU, for each injector, ...is that true?

I guess I'll wait on renting the noid, because I'm not sure I can get that connector off, anyhow, without tearing it down half way again. I sure wish I had a lifetime Free service Toyota Card, like a subway that some people have! lol. Hope to hear some input soon, thanks,

Mark
Old 05-23-2010, 03:33 PM

Well, I got a noid set at Kragen, where I returned the CAT, but there is no Toyota Noid, so I'm hoping one of them will fit or at least give me an idea, ya know? I sure wish someone on here with some EFI and ECU experience would chime in, but it's Sunday, so what do I expect, eh? lol. I talked to a buddy that gave me some of his electronics expertise, but he's FAR away, and can't help, and everything he said sounded like "BLAH GOOGOO GAGA, blah blah", TO MY ELECTRONICS INEPT MIND! LOL. Nah, some of it made sense, and I just have to figure out the diagrams in the book.

Hey, does anyone know if, when you've tried to turn it over, to no avail, cuz the firing order was wrong or whatever.....will the ECU shut down one of the HOT wire connections for the injectors? See, I can't figure this, other than a bad wire or injector, because IT'S JUST #2 PIPE THAT'S COLD on the header! Correct me if I am wrong, but that means, if I have spark(CHECK), if I have compression(CHECK, 168), .....THEN IT'S FUEL?????? Has to be, plus I don't hear the injector clicking, but the others are(obviously, if the pipes are hot on 1,3, and 4, right?

Oh well, I guess I'll just do what I can and hope for some great insight from Yotatechies! PLEASE????/ lol.

Mark
Old 05-23-2010, 04:14 PM

wow. you typed alot.....hehehehehe

is the spark plug bad?...did you switch that out?

did you service the injectors? if not, i would say, eliminate a bad injector by sending them to witch hunter like i did.

as far as electrical questions / diagnosis techniques........ya got me there...NFC! = No ______ Clue! all i can think of is the troubleshooting i mentioned......

you have spark you said, right?

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread