86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

CamTom12's '87 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CamTom12's '86 4Runner Build-Up Thread

This truck's purpose is a secondary DD and occasional trail rig. It's a truck that's been in the family since new and I'll never be able to get rid of, so I figure it needs some TLC to keep lasting like it has. This is going to be a slow process with lots of breaks in between stages due to my job. It will be a very thorough job though, I'm interested in keeping this truck for at least another 23 years

So yeah, this thread will mark my progress and keep me moving forward in a logical progression until I come up with another list!

1) Engine
- MegaSquirt - I'm throwing away all signs of 1980's EFI technology (or giving away if anyone needs anything). New sensors, new wiring, injectors sent off for cleaning, etc. The whole 9 yards. Intake mods will happen with this step.

- Rebuild - More power. Thats the main goal. Undecided on the method. I may do a high compression n/a build or maybe a turbo or something. We'll see.

- Exhaust - The method will depend on the motor set-up, but I want it fairly quiet.

2) Drivetrain
- Trans - I'll do this one at the same time as the motor, just cause it'll be out already. Complete teardown to replace every bearing and wearing parts. I'm not going to race this thing or rock crawl or anything like that so unless a better trans falls in my lap I think I'm going to just stick with the W56. New clutch. New hydraulic lines.

- TC - Same time as the engine and trans, same plans as the trans. I might go for dual TCs...

- Rear Axle - I'll do this one once I get the truck back together and running again for a bit (so I don't forget how much fun it is to drive ). New U-joints in the DS, new bearings all throughout, brakes, and I'm not sure if I'm going with a Soft Locker or a TruTrac. I've run a Soft Locker and an old-school Detroit Hard Locker in my Trans Am. Fun stuff, hahaha.

- IFS - Unless I come across a good solid I think I'm going to just stay with the IFS. I'm not totally sure on that. I may end up SAS-ing on pure principle, but I don't wheel hard enough or often enough to justify a SAS for those reasons. We'll see where we're at when I get here. Either way, full rebuild, new bearings and stuff.

3) Frame - When I have the engine/trans/TC out I'm going to lift off the body and take the frame for media blasting. I'll paint it up with some POR-15 or something to keep it nice.

4) Body - Once I get done with the frame I'm going to order up some fiberglass replacement panels and get rid of my rust spots. And get her painted up nice again. And by nice I mean get rid of the cheap MAACO oxidized paintjob.

5) Interior - I'm gonna get some new seats for the front and re-upholster the back. I'm thinking about pulling the carpet and throwing some bedliner down. Not sure on that yet, I'll figure it out. Also, I'm going to make some new sheetmetal door-panels. I'm tired of dealing with the cardboard. And all the flaking plastic junk on the inside is coming out. I'll either fabricate sheetmetal panels to cover stuff or just leave it as is and paint it.

And I think that'll just about tie it up for another couple of decades!

I'm anxious to get started!!

--Cameron

Last edited by CamTom12; 01-16-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-05-2010, 06:03 PM

Well, not much progress. I've just about got the CB install finished on my SD, so I'll be able to do the timing chain swap and pull the injectors for cleaning on the 4Runner.

In other news, she gained a year!! I had to re-title to update my registration and noticed the paperwork said '86. Hmmm. Went and checked the door and sure enough I've got an '86, not an '87! Hahaha.

I've also been thinking seriously about an engine swap vs. rebuilding this one. Still undecided.

More to follow...
Old 12-02-2010, 10:30 AM

Ok, CB install is complete on the SD (I'll throw some pics up if ya'll want to see them). I think I've changed direction on this truck a little bit.

After doing a hellacious amount of research, I'm thinking about going with a b3.3t. I love diesels and this one is small, light, and will make pretty decent power for my needs. Plus I won't have to gear down for tires, hahaha.

I think if I do this then I'll end up with 33's, a 3.54 gearset from Precision and a R154 trans (for the 0.753:1 OD and the possibility of going to a .63:1 if I feel I need to and have the power to handle) and whatever TC will bolt to that. Still doing research. Maybe that'd be a good opportunity for dual cases .

This'll be a much more expensive route though, so I'm still thinking about this one.

It sure is a good thing I've got some time before I really get started on this!

I'm still going to send my injectors out for cleaning and change the timing chain on this motor to keep it running well for now. Maybe I'll be able to recoup some money on the swap if it stays running.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any pics?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:36 PM

I'll grab some tomorrow!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool. sounds like a cool build
Old 12-03-2010, 09:45 PM

1st: I lied. No pics of the CB today... I got busy and forgot.

Yeah, it sounds like a cool plan anyway! Hopefully I'll get to start on it soon! Right now it's all planning stages except for general maintenance to keep things running.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:57 PM

I had to sell this truck to accommodate a biiiiiig move.

Moderator: feel free to delete this thread, it's all just dreaming anyway!