86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Bojangles 1987&1994 Toyota pickup build-up thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 03:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry fellas, Been so busy with life haven't even had time to get on here.

Everything has been pretty hectic lately lol but im back for a little while..

Hurricane irene has pretty much flooded my town, Ive burnt up an alternator after hitting a huge flume of water.

So ive got to get that fixed tomorrow hopefully.

Truck has been pretty good, Rear end started leaking over the summer and ive been putting gear oil in once every 3 weeks or so.
Trying to decide if i need to drop 1200 dollars into regearing or if i should just go ahead and buy a new truck like ive been looking at doing and make this into a trail rig.

About a week ago i was riding through a trail and hit a huge stump that was unseen and wrenched my drivers side tire out of alignment. But 55 bucks fixed that problem and im good to go again.

Ive got the 33's back on because i busted a bead on the 35's. But hopefully i can find another 35 to add in to the already pretty much new set.

Lots of decisions ive got to think about.

But all in all everything has been pretty good
Hope to be back on track with good ole yotatech and ill put up some pictures soon.

Keep on truckin!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
RIGHT ON, ....IT'S BO, DON'TCHA KNOW! lol.

Great to hear from ya, brother, ...sorry bout the flooding, that's terrible! I don't take for granted that I'm not ONLY in SoCal, ...but also in the Hills outside L.A., PROMISE!

Hope to see you attacking this thing again, soon! lol.

L8r bud,

Mark
Old 08-26-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which seal is leaking is it the pinion or the seal around the third into the axle case, the pinion was pretty easy to replace the seal was only ten bucks were I work whole lot cheaper than gear oil
Old 08-26-2011, 07:35 PM

Glad to see ya back tho Bo sucks about the alternator n weather man
Old 08-27-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
RIGHT ON, ....IT'S BO, DON'TCHA KNOW! lol.

Great to hear from ya, brother, ...sorry bout the flooding, that's terrible! I don't take for granted that I'm not ONLY in SoCal, ...but also in the Hills outside L.A., PROMISE!

Hope to see you attacking this thing again, soon! lol.

L8r bud,

Mark
Haha its all good bro, nothing i cant handle right now.

But hopefully things will get back on track soon.
How's that runner of yours doing?

Originally Posted by cred92
Which seal is leaking is it the pinion or the seal around the third into the axle case, the pinion was pretty easy to replace the seal was only ten bucks were I work whole lot cheaper than gear oil
Def a lot cheaper but i just have to find the time for it is the problem.
I believe its leaking out of both actually...Im pretty sure the whole rear end needs to be rebuilt with new bearings so im trying to figure out if i want to dump that money ive got saved up into re-gearing or should i just go get a new truck and then make this my trail rig? Soooooo many options.

Alright i need everyone to be thinking and help me figure out whats going on with this...When i went through all of that water, and my alternator got burned up, But something weird happened, My cd player started cutting in and out...Id cut the power on and it would play for a good 20 seconds then cut in and out and then cut off...After about 3 times of turning it off and on it went off and stayed off. No power to anything...I drove for about 30 miles that day till the battery and brake light came on. That's when i knew the alternator was bad and i parked it at the house. I put the new alternator on today and my battery and brake light DID go off...But my cd player still does not work (And yes i have reset it)...

Also the dome light in the cab of the truck (Which has ALWAYS worked) Is no longer working, Along with the dinging sound that comes from leaving the key in the ignition while the driver door is ajar....

Now we have 3 symptoms so far that ive seen...
1-Cd player-Fuse is good
2-Dome light-Bulb is good
3-Annoying ignition dinger thingy that im starting to miss-Who knows.

Today i checked the fuses that pertained to my problems but all was well...I pulled the cd player out and the fuse in the back was perfectly fine...
I cannot figure out for the life of me what is going on...Does anyone have any ideas?

Until then i guess its back to the good ole days where you camped in tents and rode without music
Old 08-27-2011, 08:12 PM

Ok, ...I'm just guessing via my personal past experiences... But honestly? I think what MIGHT have happened was, when you blew the Alternator, you had a surge...(not sure why it didn't blow the 80A.....but it didn't, right??? lol) ...when you had said surge, it's very possible that, while the fuse didn't blow, the charge hit the Amplified Power Supply in the stereo, or SOMETIMES, the 4x50W Internal lil amps get burned out by a surge as well.... and thus, you have a 'Works, doesn't work, works, ........doesn't work AT ALL, ANY LONGER, PERIOD' type scenario. For me, it's always been the "High Volume Control"that goes out.... That is in most every stereo/tv I've had/taken apart, and when it starts to go out, it 'clips'.... where you still have power, but NO audio. Eventually, the audio just 'CLIPS OUT' for good.

Far as the dome..... the fuse is good? I believe it has it's own fuse in the kick panel.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:14 PM

Sounds like you had a surge back into the Chassis Electrical, period, Bo, ......

1. Dome
2. Stereo
3. Buzzer(doors open Bell)

Allllllll went bad within a short time after flooding/DESTROYING your alternator?
Old 08-27-2011, 08:23 PM

Thats so weird that all 3 random things that have NOTHING to do with each other would go out from that possible surge...
The volume would cut in and out but i was thinking it was because of the 500watt stereo system behind the seat drawing to much power from the battery and no alternator...

Yes all of the fuses are still good...Its only a 10amp fuse in the back of the cd player...You would think that either that or the 80amp alternator fuse would have blown due to surging rather than burning everything up?

Im thinking that there is some wire/fuse/plug that i am missing somewhere...That just doesn't make sense that those few random things would go out...

If i leave my lights on and open the driver door that still makes noise...But not for the key in the ignition...

IM LOST.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:06 PM

My leak was runing from the pinion down so it looked like it was both but a quick wipe with a rag pinpointed the leak.

Dang that sounds really serious man to bad there's no surge protector lol, but I have no clue what could cause all that I'm no good at electrical anything sorry bo
Old 08-27-2011, 09:33 PM

Doesn't have to make sense, Brudda Bo, lol..... "it's electrical Gremlins, ...they'z meannnnnn!" lol. Seriously, ...... power is going to cruise through the path of least resistance. Maybe, however, the 'incident' just caused one of your other components to have a surge and pull a 'POOF' on the tunes, then maybe back into the Kick panel fuse box and back out something else? Who knows! lol. ALL 3 OF THOSE things are wired through the Kick Panel Fuse Block on the Driver side... couldn't have occurred there for some reason?
Old 08-28-2011, 03:40 PM

Well i checked everything out today...
Went and bought a brand new pioneer cd player today and hooked it up but there was still no power.
So i went into the fuse block under the kick panel on the drivers side and put my volt reader on the radio fuse holder and there was no power at all.

This tells me that Between the fuse block and the power source is my problem...The fuse is not popped nor is any of the other fuses...Therefor a wire is NOT grounding out...Hopefully this helps with diagnosing my problem...Does anyone have any ideas before i go pay someone to figure it out? Im horrible with wiring...
Old 08-28-2011, 05:05 PM

I'm no good with wiring either man but my ideas would be trace your wires back n see if a wires cut r came unplugged check ur grounds
Old 08-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Wow, ..... that's strange. Is it possible to follow the wiring to that portion of the fuse block(as well as the dome light, etc.) and find out if an 'inline' fuse(fusible link) blew?(if there is one?) lol. Sorry, that's not helpful, I know, ...but anything to keep us thinking it over MIGHT help, right? lol.

I would really have to agree, while I'm only guessing, that possibly a wire that supplies power to several things in there has a break in it or is ground out somehow. Maybe it's just coincidence, Bo, .... related to the Alternator blow out.... But I wouldn't think that likely, yeah?

I'll ask around, best I can do from here/with the knowledge I have of this stuff.

Sorry man,

Mark
Old 08-29-2011, 06:16 AM

Yeah like i said, im guessing its a problem somewhere between the fuse block and the power source.
Kinda threw some ideas around with dad and he said he knows a guy that owns a small hole in the wall shop that wouldn't charge me but 20 or 30 bucks to trace, find, and fix the problem.

His words were "Son, you cant fix everything...Sometimes you've got to pay someone for they're knowledge."
Old 08-29-2011, 11:40 AM

"Son, you cant fix everything...Sometimes you've got to pay someone for they're knowledge.".............>>>>>>>>> GREATER WORDS OF WISDOM WERE NEVER SPOKEN!!!!!! .... ok, maybe that's extreme, lol.... but you know what I mean. GREAT advice. Especially those guys..... THEY ARE GOOD, MOST OFTEN, Bo, at 'cleaning things up' while they're in there! He might even find some other 'questionable' crap in there, ya know?
Old 08-29-2011, 07:28 PM

I agree totally hole in the wall places usually do good work and for cheap, I had a good deal like that come around when my starter started click click varoom lol he rebuilt it cleaned the brushes and painted it like brand new for 40$ and a one year warranty on my original denso sweet!! So maybe youll get the wiring job hookup bud
Old 08-31-2011, 03:47 AM

He charged me 35 dollars just to look at it.

He says he thinks its the integration relay on the back of the fuse block under the driver side kick panel. I cant find a integration relay for sale ANYWHERE.

Does anyone know of anywhere i could find one?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:53 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Sorry Bo haven't been following too close (sub'd to too many build threads lol) is this for your 87 or 94?

94: 82641 RELAY, INTEGRATION NO.1 82641-35090 1 1992.09-1995.01 RN101, 110, VZN100, 110 $253.51 $188.84

Not seeing a part number for the 87 though.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 08-31-2011 at 04:00 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:24 AM

35$ just to look n guess man no luck on the whole in the wall deal.
Lord have mercy the price for a relay!!!! I know of a yota graveyard not far from me got a model like yours if ya need me to pull one I may can get it free if the guy hasnt crushed it
Old 08-31-2011, 11:03 AM

Hey Bo.... I think 35$, if it would even save you another 3-4 HOURS searching, to no avail, is a good deal, any day of the week, man! I know it's not good news..... but maybe, as mentioned, we can find you one in a yard!

BTW< I might be going to pick up some seats from a 95 4Runner, .... I could grab that integration thingymadoohickymajobber while in there, yeah? Wonder if 95 would work..... I would think so, only a year different, right?? .....Wait, we ARE talking about the 94, RIGHT? LOL. Ok, so now, .... where do I look for this thing, eh?? lol.

Quick Reply: Bojangles 1987&1994 Toyota pickup build-up thread