86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Bojangles 1987&1994 Toyota pickup build-up thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 06:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
maybe try telling them a 93 instead of 94. It's funny though as you don't technically have a 95 Pickup. Some sites you have to watch out for model year versus production date, but giving them 94 shouldn't cause any issues. 95 usually does as alot of them put the 95 pickup into the 95.5 tacoma categories. 85 pickup is the same thing when it comes to the engines as first half 85 model year still had the 84 engine. Last half of the year had the 86 engine.
You know...Thats a really good point!
I NEVER thought of that.

Im going to ship this one back and get my money back.
And from then on i have a "1993 toyota pickup"
Haha.

I called autozone for poops and giggles and they didn't know what the hell a condenser or dehydrator was...Much less on how to look it up on a computer!
She had to ask how to spell dehydrator....
Old 03-20-2011, 07:01 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
And to think Bo I can't get a job in a parts store/dept to save my life. lol.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
maybe try telling them a 93 instead of 94. It's funny though as you don't technically have a 95 Pickup. Some sites you have to watch out for model year versus production date, but giving them 94 shouldn't cause any issues. 95 usually does as alot of them put the 95 pickup into the 95.5 tacoma categories. 85 pickup is the same thing when it comes to the engines as first half 85 model year still had the 84 engine. Last half of the year had the 86 engine.
i was thinking the exact same thing as i read that haha
Old 03-20-2011, 07:04 AM

Me neither!!!!!
Ive known the manager at autozone for 12 years!
I dated the managers daughter from advance auto (He loves me)
My dad is best friends with the manager at Napa.
And i know everyone up at oreilys
You'd think id have a LITTLE bit of pull somewhere...

I dont think i could work with a bunch of morons anyways. lol
Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bojangles
So yesterday i got my part in for my air conditioner...
And what do you know...They did it again.
They sent me one for a 1995 toyota taco.

So it wont fit

Ive e-mailed them but ill have to wait till monday or tuesday to get a reply.
Its the condenser to dehydrator hose. I dont see why its so flippin hard to find!
Number 8 on this diagram.

And this hose is for an 89-94 Toyota pickup.
So why do i keep getting one for a 95 taco?
Mannnn, ....hey Bo, let's start the "Can't-Getta-Break Bros. Band!" eh? hahahaha. Sorry to hear, Bo! Hope you'll have that socked away in no time. Have you tried Napa? At mine, they seem to have been there 20-30 years and know what they're doing, lol. Oh, and 'dealerdirectparts.com' ..... CALL, and ask for Joe, give him your VIN, ...you should have NO problems gettin EXACTLY what you need. He has told me "NO" 3 times, and insisted on speaking with his Techs there, looking in the books, then making absolutely sure before sending me a couple parts now. Lil bit of waiting on hold involved, ...but GREAT Cust. Serv. and GREAT prices. Joe rocks, to be honest.... great guy to speak with, very personable and accommodating!

Best wishes, man, ...FLEX ON! hahahaha
Old 03-20-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Mannnn, ....hey Bo, let's start the "Can't-Getta-Break Bros. Band!" eh? hahahaha. Sorry to hear, Bo! Hope you'll have that socked away in no time. Have you tried Napa? At mine, they seem to have been there 20-30 years and know what they're doing, lol. Oh, and 'dealerdirectparts.com' ..... CALL, and ask for Joe, give him your VIN, ...you should have NO problems gettin EXACTLY what you need. He has told me "NO" 3 times, and insisted on speaking with his Techs there, looking in the books, then making absolutely sure before sending me a couple parts now. Lil bit of waiting on hold involved, ...but GREAT Cust. Serv. and GREAT prices. Joe rocks, to be honest.... great guy to speak with, very personable and accommodating!

Best wishes, man, ...FLEX ON! hahahaha
Haha flex on. I like that.
And your right, we have WAY to much trouble.

Ill give him a call first thing tomorrow!
The people at napa know what they are doin but they have pretty bad prices.
At least here they do.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:33 PM

Alright, little update here

I shipped that part back for a refund, They were sending me a part for a R-12 system but my A/C has been converted to 134-A.
They said they could not get me this part...Any ideas? Anyone?

When i picked the truck up from the shop last monday after having the motor and tranny put in, i noticed a significant exhaust leak, but told mickey (The manager) If anything progressed i would bring it back to him.

Apparently when they were wrenching around on the exhaust while putting the new motor in they cracked the pipe and put a rather large exhaust leak right next to the block (where you CANT weld it up)
I didn't realize this till i was on my way home and hit a rail road track at 70mph and the pipe completely came loose from the manifold. Broke ALL the way around the pipe...Sounded just like an old ford tractor.

Drove it to my house and parked it till the next morning and took it back to the shop who put my motor in, they said it was not they're fault and they claim no responsibility for it...I mean REALLY?!? Not only did i just bring my truck to you so Jasper engines could pay you to put that motor in, but i paid you to put my transmission in while you were at it...and you cant weld up a pipe for me?
Word of mouth will kill someone, he's got it comin.

Anyways...He said he would do it for 50 bucks, But i didn't have the money so i told him he was crazy.
Went home and pulled out the old MIG welder and did it myself.
There is a small pinhole area where i cant get to due to no room. But its not bad at all.

Anyways...Other than that everything is good
Old 03-23-2011, 08:51 PM

Sweet! lol.... great story, man. WOW, what is it with some of these guys? I mean, c'mon, is it just me, or are MANY places, more and more, caring LESS AND LESS about "rehash business"??????? Same thing with my guy...... I called and REEMED him for all the stuff I've had to deal with over the last year. IMMEDIATELY throwing out the "did you do this, that, the other?".... After I'D JUST TOLD HIM, EVERY COUNT, each one of those things! lol.... So I say, "I JUST SAID THAT, were you listening? I have everything on video, first start, etc. Now, WHERE IS MY LCE METAL GUIDE TIMING KIT??????".... his answer, "Uhhhh, yeahhhhhhhh, I'm pretty sure we put that on"... again, i say, "I JUST TOLD YOU, I pulled the cover, what do I see? A ROCK KIT, plastic guides even! NOT LCE'S KIT, AT ALL!" ... His answer, "ohhhhh, Ok, well, let me look".... 20 minutes later, "Yeah, I don't see that anywhere..... I can order you one"............ CLICK! Dude, it took EVERY OUNCE of my calm character in the reserve tank to keep me from jumping in my car and driving over there! LOL. Ok, I just 'FELT' that way, wouldn't do it... but 20 years ago????? hahaha.

People like Tod and Ted at engnbldr.... Wes and Mike at LCE(yes, pricey, but GREAT service!)..... Jim at ARB ,.........Wabbit, ..........Big Mike at Marlincrawler.... Jim at Putney's....ALL GREAT customer service! GOOD LORD, WHY COULDN'T I JUST HAVE MET ONE OF THESE GUYS BEFOREEEEEEEEEEEEEE I took some other bait, DANGIT???? hahaha.

Oh well, .... LIVE AND LEARN, EH BO? lol.

You can't find a mani for cheap? Or you gonna get the rest snugged up another way?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:56 PM

Haha I'm glad someone knows what I'm talkin about!!!

And its not really the manifold. 4-5 inches below the flange that bolts from the manifold to the exhaust pipe is where it broke. I wish it would of been the manifold. That would of been my excuse to buy a new NICE one.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:05 PM

I think I found a place that sells them for 85$??? I might even put mine back on, who knows at this point! lol. Good thing I kept all that, hahaha.

Interesting argument over "Headers or NOT with the mostly stock 22RE?" Ted at engnbldr seems to really favor the stock exhaust. Even with a cam, etc.

Well, you gettin' her broken in, eh? Awesome, Bo, ...really happy it worked out... EXCEPT the exhaust part, ..that stinks! Grrr! lol.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:30 PM

You think i should go back with a stock manifold or maybe a little more perfomance?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:30 PM

And yeah, breaking her in right.
Dirt roads, but no mud, no hard driving.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:49 PM

Sweet, treatin her right, but still a lil dirty! hahahaha.

Anyway, yeah, I posted in my build thread what Ted feels(latest feelings, lol) on the subject. He basically said, "No, headers are ok, but Tri-y are my fav in that arena, .... " and I think he meant, NEXT TO FACTORY, Headers can be ok, lol. I've read LOTS of Dyno and really technical data the last couple days that suggests my LCE header might not have been a bad investment, after all, and that MOST people, like me, felt a decent improvement in Mid-High rpm range(IOW, ON THE HIGHWAY or passing, etc.). I think it seems that the Tri-Y design(Unlike LCE's 4 into 1) is better for low end torque(Crawling?) and some think even the factory manifold is best for crawling, too(They can handle heat really well, keep the air flow on a tight leach? Can't remember the semantics) See, I like the off the line I feel with my truck,(CAM/K&N definitely gave me a LIL pop, not HUGE, lol)....but I have to drive 2 Hours, minimum, to get there....WHICH I LOVE, btw, lol.

So, I think the LCE or stock is best for me, whereas a lot of guys benefit more from the tri-y? Depends on your application, I'm pretty sure. He didn't DOWN my header, he just prefers the Tri-y or stock.

Best wishes, man!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:55 AM

Chef, im gonna have to look into that soon.
Thanks!!!

Alright, a new question arises...I have white smoke coming from the exhaust...Its a BRAND SPANKIN NEW long block from jasper engines...There is NO WAY the head gasket is leaking after 400 miles. And im not losing coolant. Thats not an option.

Could it be running rich? It does have a strong exhaust smell and it has since i got the truck back? How would i go about adjusting this? TPS? MAF? Truck has ALWAYS had a slight studder when you tap the gas at an idle.
Any ideas?
Old 03-28-2011, 12:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
White smoke??? How cold is it there? Are you sure it's not condensation?

I don't think rich would have white smoke, maybe, but I don't think.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:25 PM

Well today its 41...
But the other day it was 81 degrees and at normal temperature it still had a puff of white smoke when i would bump the throttle.

Any ideas? I was just throwing "running rich" out there...
Old 03-28-2011, 12:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Well...in what i have seen white = coolant. I could be mistaken. What's your mileage like?
Old 03-28-2011, 12:41 PM

Pretty great...Since i filled up last ive pulled in 175 miles and ive still got 1/4 tank left.

Im also running 33x12.50's so that isn't the exact mileage but you get where im coming from.

(Took the swampers off to sell them but the guy never showed)

But like i said, im not losing any coolant...
Old 03-28-2011, 12:42 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
slight rich can cause white exhaust but very little change in exhaust smell. way rich would be black. Oil = blue. Also very little change in smell. If bad converter it would smell like eggs. if coolant would smell sweet. Hard describe though but very similar to sticking you nose in a jug of straight anti-freeze.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:43 PM

I do have some soot on the inside of my tail pipe.....

Rich?

Quick Reply: Bojangles 1987&1994 Toyota pickup build-up thread