86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Bojangles 1987&1994 Toyota pickup build-up thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 87hillbillyoter
you really arent flexing the ifs like that. you gotta do the rear end up and it will flex the ifs. try removing the bump stop extensions that you have on there. it also could be the shocks. but you can definitely get more flex out of that front end. plus, your only on a log
Haha i know. I pulled up on the log just to show that its not flexing what-so-ever.
Ill take a picture later on today of me backing up on something with the rear end. It wont flex at all! lol
Im guessing it has to be the shocks.
But my IFS has NEVER touched those bump stops. It doesn't flex near that much.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:21 AM

I tried forwards

I tried backwards

And this is all i could get.

Obviously thats not enough
I guess ill ride these shocks till i get the money for new ones
Old 03-18-2011, 10:23 AM

And this is what i look like when im wheeling

Triple visor!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Bo, it looks good but I agree, not good enough. It should be way more than that
Old 03-18-2011, 10:28 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
in that last photo since it's dark I can't tell, but isn't that already on the bumpstop on the passenger side?
Old 03-18-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
Well Bo, it looks good but I agree, not good enough. It should be way more than that
Thats what im thinking

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
in that last photo since it's dark I can't tell, but isn't that already on the bumpstop on the passenger side?
Sorry, the picture was from my blackberry.
They cost 500 bucks but cant take a picture worth a shiz.

No, it was nowhere near hitting the bump stop.
It looks like it because i took the picture from an angle and the back of the lower control arm is blending in with the bump stop lol
Old 03-18-2011, 12:10 PM

heh ok and I would think that even your rear should compress more than it is to. I'd be willing to bet your right, those nitro shocks aren't doing you any justice. Maybe if you had some more weight in the truck yeah but.......
Old 03-18-2011, 12:13 PM

Well, i listened to a friend of mine who ive come to realize he's a MORON.
This would be the guy that pointed to my front differential the other day and said "Ya see...Your tranfercase right here....."

They are no where near old, But they dont ride comfortable at all...What should i do?
Ride em till they're shot?
Or go ahead and replace them? If so whats the best riding shock you've found?
Old 03-18-2011, 12:19 PM

Not sure what to recommend as far as shocks go other than stay away from a nitro unless your like a 6,000lb rig. Of course that number just came out of my but, but I think you've got the idea on that. I like the ride of my procomp es3000's but IMO they are too short and limit travel. So when I go to look for new shock that I will probably need for these springs I put on and stuff, I will look for a similar shock but not procomp.

Yotarob2005 seems to like his Doetsch Tech shocks. I like my billy HD's in my BMW as well but that's a bad comparison. Of course it's also a 4500lb car too. lol.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:22 PM

Haha yeah there are def a lot to choose from, and im sure ill get a lot of different opinions.
Im gonna do some research and see what i find. i just want something that is going to ride smoother.

PS. My truck rides a helluva lot better with no swaybar Just cant nascar any corners like before.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:27 PM

here is what I did when I was looking for replacement shocks: I researched twin tube versus monotube, nitro vs gas charge, then I believe there is that cellular foam stuff too. Would up going with the es3000's. They are great for higher speed trails (within reason ie. 30-35mph) even with my springs riding on the overloads. But for crawling they are a little disappointing.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Ugh. They all have a lot of pro's and cons haha.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bojangles
Well, i listened to a friend of mine who ive come to realize he's a MORON.
This would be the guy that pointed to my front differential the other day and said "Ya see...Your tranfercase right here....."

They are no where near old, But they dont ride comfortable at all...What should i do?
Ride em till they're shot?
Or go ahead and replace them? If so whats the best riding shock you've found?
You sure it's your shocks, Bo? I'm sure, yea, they're stiff, and you can tell. But are your Ball Joints, Bushings, ...everything in there good?(something in that big lift doesn't cause a stiffer ride/limit flex?) I have monroe's up front, OLD, until I get in my OME's...(I know, XXX will probably tell me they're gonna be stiff.... DANGIT, I guess it might be "learn the hard way #158" hahaha).... My point is, my ride is ok, UNTIL I HIT ANYTHING, including washboard, etc..... and I KNOW part of that is that my suspension parts, ALL of them, are 24 years old. Things can be misleading is all I'm saying. My buddy replaced all his brakes(it was time to do some maintenance, ...but I think he jumped the gun)....come to find out, it was his Driver lower ball joint, SHOT, pulling him to the left under certain conditions. I'm sure you know you need shocks, ....just wondering if anything else under there is OAD(old as dirt) and maybe shot? lol.

Most people who run the OME's for my rig that I've spoken to say they LOVE the ride... but then, ...they're for a 2" lift, I believe.... so I'm not sure they'd even be an option, ya know?

And yes, ROB DID seem happy with those, Brandon! Not a bad price, either, yeah? Weren't they for a Ford F150 or something different?

Anyway, best wishes, Bo!
Old 03-18-2011, 12:43 PM

Hey chef.
Yeah my ball joints are fairly new and actually in pretty good condition. from what i can see...
Ill probably end up replacing them sooner or later when i put the BJ Spacers in and add a leaf to the rear.
But still...Something is limiting my flex big time...
I put these Rough country 9000 shocks somewhere around June of 2010.
So they are not old at all...But im thinking they are just way to stiff for this truck, Maybe ment for a bigger heavier truck. Idk.
Anyways...Ill probably ride them for a while till i decide to go up to bigger tires.
There aren't many trails around sc So im not in desperate need of flex right now...Id still like to figure out why though...
Old 03-18-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Yep, I HEAR YA ,...."I MUST....FIGURE OUT.....GRRRRR......WHAT IS THIS GREMLIN WHO OPPOSES ME!!!????!!!" HAHAHA.

Well, are you getting any higher than that and it's lifting it off the ground? It's usually Ball Joints and Bump Stops that limit flex, no? Catch 22....you go to low profile on the stops, you could snap the CV's or at least the boots all the time. You keep them stock or even shim them,.....well, you max out on droop and stuff before it can reach the normal 6" travel. Oh the humanity! hahah... IFS has it's pro's for me, for one, the WASHBOARD! lol.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:53 AM

Haha im not sure chef, It def feels like shocks to me...
Ball joints are fairly new, and aren't real worn.

And the bump stops are nowhere near bottoming out...
Just one of those things that isn't really a big deal, but its pissing me off.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:02 AM

So yesterday i got my part in for my air conditioner...
And what do you know...They did it again.
They sent me one for a 1995 toyota taco.

So it wont fit

Ive e-mailed them but ill have to wait till monday or tuesday to get a reply.
Its the condenser to dehydrator hose. I dont see why its so flippin hard to find!
Number 8 on this diagram.

And this hose is for an 89-94 Toyota pickup.
So why do i keep getting one for a 95 taco?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:05 AM

where are you ordering parts from?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:08 AM

This time was www.Toyotapartscheap.com

Last time was www.Toyotapartsbarn.com

Ive heard good things about both sites on yotatech but i haven't seen good things so far.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:49 AM

maybe try telling them a 93 instead of 94. It's funny though as you don't technically have a 95 Pickup. Some sites you have to watch out for model year versus production date, but giving them 94 shouldn't cause any issues. 95 usually does as alot of them put the 95 pickup into the 95.5 tacoma categories. 85 pickup is the same thing when it comes to the engines as first half 85 model year still had the 84 engine. Last half of the year had the 86 engine.

Quick Reply: Bojangles 1987&1994 Toyota pickup build-up thread