86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Bojangles 1987&1994 Toyota pickup build-up thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Well I changed my clutch in a few hours. Only need help to get the tranny in the last 2 inches...

Not the best info but this is what you're getting into.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...clutch-208497/
Old 03-03-2011, 12:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy
Well I changed my clutch in a few hours. Only need help to get the tranny in the last 2 inches...

Not the best info but this is what you're getting into.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...clutch-208497/
Everything looks good except for that lions head

This is what i woke up and found in my pocket the morning after new years.
Stuck to my magnetic money clip along with 5 more in my pocket.
14 shots, 9 Bud light, and a red bull...Never a good combonation.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:52 PM

That garbage tears me up!!! skunk beer there boy.,
Old 03-03-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
That garbage tears me up!!! skunk beer there boy.,
Tore me up to.
The worst part was when the whole family came over to have dinner. My 4 year old niece has a voice that will pierce your soul. Haha
Old 03-03-2011, 08:50 PM

My transmission DID come in and its sitting on my porch ready to be put in the truck...

On my way home from work, my engine developed a slight knock...I pulled in the driveway and tried to determine where the knock was coming from...I thought it was the adjuster pulley so i replaced it but when i cranked it up to see if i fixed it the knock was definitely a LOT worse...And now i think im on the verge of throwing a rod through the oil pan...

Im taking it to the shop in the morning since it is under warranty and im goin to let them look at it...

I threw a knock sensor code about a week ago...Could this have anything to do with it...? PLEASE help
Old 03-04-2011, 05:17 AM

The code for the knock sensor would mean the sensor isn't working. The knock your hearing is not the same that the sensor is listening for.

What your describing seems like a rod knocking...get it looked at pronto!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:49 AM

They said to drive it back and forth to work over the weekend.

I think they are trying to get me to throw a rod so they wont have to rebuild it and just set a new motor in the truck...which im not opposed to "Encouraging" this motor to throw one through the block, but still...Idk what to do.

Like i said, its under warranty and they said no matter what happens it will be paid for.

So the question is...Do i want this motor patched or do i want a new one put in?

Obviously i want a new one put in but i dont think i have the heart to blow this one up haha.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:32 AM

Knock is getting louder and louder everytime i drive...Its only a matter of time....

I think im gonna put some gas in and just ride tonight haha.

If it wasn't under warranty, i wouldn't be doing this...
But they say this is the best option rather than just patching this motor.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:05 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
hey bo, I'm all for what they are saying, but when you blow the motor where are you gonna be stuck at and what are gonna be doing, are they gonna pay to tow it to their shop and get you home?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
hey bo, I'm all for what they are saying, but when you blow the motor where are you gonna be stuck at and what are gonna be doing, are they gonna pay to tow it to their shop and get you home?
I thought of that. Ive got Triple A, so Free towing for like 25 miles?
And ive got to take the truck to the shop monday regardless. I live with my parents so ive got a ride home and ill steal the use the 4runner or sequia for work.

I know when it throws that rod, im gonna go home and my pain away.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:30 PM

Our AAA allows up to 75, but I know there is different levels of it as well. And I think we get like 3 free tows a year as well.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:36 PM

Yeah and we havent towed anything in a while.

So worst case scenario...I get a new motor.

Yall might think im weird, but it still makes me feel like a bad person redlining my truck to purposely throw a rod.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:40 PM

If it were me and the shop told me that, I'd just let it sit in the driveway idling at 5,000 for a while. lol.

You can always drain the oil and speed up the process. hahaha.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:44 PM

Hahaha i hear ya.
I think its my only choice.

Draining the oil...Hmmm....If i do it ill video it and it will be on here.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:45 PM

Just make sure something like that won't void the warranty. If they see it.

That's not to say something other than a rod bearing will go first, but if you seize it up then they will have to replace it.

I can't believe i just told another Yota owner to run their engine without oil in it. makes ya think funny doesn't it. lol.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 03-05-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:41 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
HOLY CRAPOLI, what is going on here? hahahaha. So sorry to hear this, Bo, ...but at least you have a new Tranny, soon to be New Motor in the works when this is all said and done.

BTW, you did watch Top Gear with that Yota, no? You could sit out there for a bit, Redlining with no oil....but I wouldn't video it, not if there's a risk of some type of repercussion(not honoring it). Even if you do, don't let your license get in the movie, ya know? haha.

Wow, I have to say, I agree with B, .........I CAN NOT STAND the thought of watching that thing throw a rod.... it's like I'm attached even to YOUR rig! hahaha. Oh well, I'll watch anyhow! hahaha.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Just make sure something like that won't void the warranty. If they see it.

That's not to say something other than a rod bearing will go first, but if you seize it up then they will have to replace it.

I can't believe i just told another Yota owner to run their engine without oil in it. makes ya think funny doesn't it. lol.
Haha your right.
The only problem i see with this theory is if i were to run it with no oil in it, that would cause extra friction on the bearings which would heat them up which would yadda yadda yadda...we know how it goes.
The only problem with metal, is that when it heats up like that, and it changes to that pretty blue color?...I dont think the shop will like that very much
So that might not be the best idea haha...Id pretty much give myself away because i prob wouldn't be the first sucker to try it.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
HOLY CRAPOLI, what is going on here? hahahaha. So sorry to hear this, Bo, ...but at least you have a new Tranny, soon to be New Motor in the works when this is all said and done.

BTW, you did watch Top Gear with that Yota, no? You could sit out there for a bit, Redlining with no oil....but I wouldn't video it, not if there's a risk of some type of repercussion(not honoring it). Even if you do, don't let your license get in the movie, ya know? haha.

Wow, I have to say, I agree with B, .........I CAN NOT STAND the thought of watching that thing throw a rod.... it's like I'm attached even to YOUR rig! hahaha. Oh well, I'll watch anyhow! hahaha.
Haha yeah im hoping it all goes that easy...
The only one i saw was the worlds toughest truck contest with the Stepside Chevrolet, the old ford, and the dodge.
Haha if i do...ill video it...ill wait till they put a new motor in...and ill upload it to youtube with no title and post the link here.
You CAN upload to youtube and set your privacy to where people cannot view your videos

But it kills me to even think about throwing a rod through the motor...Its like losing a child.

SO HERE'S MY QUESTION...The knocking sound seems to be coming from the number 1 cylinder...which is closest to the oil pump which is coincidentally right next to the Harmonic Balancer.................With that being said...we used to have a buick park avenue in the family with a harmonic balancer going out and it sounded like you were beating on everything in sight with a ball peen hammer.
Is it possible my harmonic balancer went out?

Because honestly...there have been about 4 or 5 times ive tacked the engine...and it performed as it should...just with a knock.
I cant get it to throw a rod and i cant help but feel like i might be possibly taking miles off of a good engine ya know?
What do you guys think?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:30 AM

And maybe the slight tick ive been hearing thinking it was valve lash adjustment was actually the harmonic balancer and it just finally went out?
Idk im just throwing some ideas around...Im going to just drive it back and forth to work until tomorrow and then take it to the shop. Let them see what they think...
Old 03-06-2011, 06:26 AM

Come on guys! You should be awake or at church!
My motor is ticking like a bomb.
People are runnin like
Stampedes everywhere.
I have to blare music to tune it out
But i cant bring myself to blare music cause i cant help but just listen.
Doesn't help me.
Hey!......Bring me a new motor.
Idk what this is......But it looks like it got hit in the face...with something hard...like a rod coming out of my block.
Why does this smiley hate soap?
Wrestle mania.
Maybe i should just the fender walls out and drop a threefiddy in.

....*Sigh*
Old 03-06-2011, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bojangles
Come on guys! You should be awake or at church!
My motor is ticking like a bomb.
People are runnin like
Stampedes everywhere.
I have to blare music to tune it out
But i cant bring myself to blare music cause i cant help but just listen.
Doesn't help me.
Hey!......Bring me a new motor.
Idk what this is......But it looks like it got hit in the face...with something hard...like a rod coming out of my block.
Why does this smiley hate soap?
Wrestle mania.
Maybe i should just the fender walls out and drop a threefiddy in.

....*Sigh*

hahaha i cant help ya but im here for moral support. hope you get it all figured out.

p.s. dont know why that guy hates soap either ha

Quick Reply: Bojangles 1987&1994 Toyota pickup build-up thread