86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Bojangles 1987&1994 Toyota pickup build-up thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah man! By the way, after I loosened the valve cover up some, most of the clicking went away, but a lot of the clicking was coming from my number 2 injector. Normal?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:21 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmmm, you mean; You listened with a scope, etc., and it was CLEARLY much louder than the rest? I guess it could be louder, SOME, but shouldn't really be that noticeable, ya know? (PS> I can barely hear mine at all, without stethoscope. But my Cold Air thingy doesn't help, lol).... Mine click away like the rest, but they ALL sound identical. Mine are firing perfect, after having RC Engineering service them with the premium service(they look brand new). Maybe that one is sticking? If so, don't wanna let that go too long before finding out. Gonna investigate a lil further, Bo?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-26-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:33 PM

Well the injectors are new. Maybe have 7000 miles on all four. Also the clicking noise isn't extremely loud, but its noticeable. How much would it cost me to get new injectors all the way around ya think?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:40 PM

Well the injectors are practically brand new...maybe 7000 miles on them? And the clicking isn't extremely loud, just noticeable. And I used a screwdriver from my ear to the injectors.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bojangles
Well the injectors are practically brand new...maybe 7000 miles on them? And the clicking isn't extremely loud, just noticeable. And I used a screwdriver from my ear to the injectors.
Woooooooe Nelly! lol. I wouldn't recommend even looking into that until you verify whether they're even tweaked.

You probably weren't watching my build thread in the beginning, but a few pages in, when I did my first start(initial break in of long block), I IMMEDIATELY had 3 cyl's firing. The reason; Something broke free from the fuel line, between the new fuel filter and fuel rail(OR, it was in the rail), and blocked the #2 injector, ...thus, I had NO FUEL to #2 Hole.

If your injectors are new, I wouldn't think you'd need yet another new set(they can go for 1/4 Million miles before absolutely NEEDING a cleaning/servicing). So first, tell me this; Are you listening with a screwdriver or stethoscope, right on the body of the injector? If so, you say you're hearing that one is considerably louder in it's firing than the others?

If one is louder, I'm not sure even that is cause for tearing it down, IF your motor is running smooth(just underpowered might not be related to that "noise", at all). Where'd you get the injectors?(or have them serviced, ...might wanna call them and explain your "noise", etc. They do this ALL DAY LONG, and might give you some insight, ya know?)

Clicking, even more loudly, means 'firing'. Mine was silent. Something was stuck in it, freezing it up. So, I had to tear it down, take it back in to RC Engineering, and they freed it up and handed it back to me, telling me, "NOW, make sure you flush out the lines AFTER the filter, including the rail while you have it out, as best as possible." I did, and proceeded with my break in..... only to find my CAM was toast, about 3 months later of chasing my tail.

My point in that last paragraphs end? ...... LUCKILY, I started learning to do a process of elimination, 1., 2., 3., starting from the source of the problem, backward. With my problems, it was more difficult, because it was VERY hard to diagnose, ...even my compression was good, the EFI system was checking out.... So, I ended up testing things over and over until that Professional at Japanese Auto Center, Tim, diagnosed it as "it's the CAM", using Propane to run the motor, taking the EFI/pump/injector system out of the picture.

So start over here, Bo, and tell me/us, .....

1. What's it doing/not doing?
2. How's the power?
3. Do you have any strong misses/stalling/sputtering/backfiring/misfiring?
4. Have you Multi-metered anything?(list them)...Including the Injector Voltage Resistor?(not sure if your rig has one on the pass. fenderwall)
5. Then go from there.....adding things you've noticed, compression results, etc.

K?
Old 02-27-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Woooooooe Nelly! lol. I wouldn't recommend even looking into that until you verify whether they're even tweaked.

You probably weren't watching my build thread in the beginning, but a few pages in, when I did my first start(initial break in of long block), I IMMEDIATELY had 3 cyl's firing. The reason; Something broke free from the fuel line, between the new fuel filter and fuel rail(OR, it was in the rail), and blocked the #2 injector, ...thus, I had NO FUEL to #2 Hole.

If your injectors are new, I wouldn't think you'd need yet another new set(they can go for 1/4 Million miles before absolutely NEEDING a cleaning/servicing). So first, tell me this; Are you listening with a screwdriver or stethoscope, right on the body of the injector? If so, you say you're hearing that one is considerably louder in it's firing than the others?

If one is louder, I'm not sure even that is cause for tearing it down, IF your motor is running smooth(just underpowered might not be related to that "noise", at all). Where'd you get the injectors?(or have them serviced, ...might wanna call them and explain your "noise", etc. They do this ALL DAY LONG, and might give you some insight, ya know?)

Clicking, even more loudly, means 'firing'. Mine was silent. Something was stuck in it, freezing it up. So, I had to tear it down, take it back in to RC Engineering, and they freed it up and handed it back to me, telling me, "NOW, make sure you flush out the lines AFTER the filter, including the rail while you have it out, as best as possible." I did, and proceeded with my break in..... only to find my CAM was toast, about 3 months later of chasing my tail.

My point in that last paragraphs end? ...... LUCKILY, I started learning to do a process of elimination, 1., 2., 3., starting from the source of the problem, backward. With my problems, it was more difficult, because it was VERY hard to diagnose, ...even my compression was good, the EFI system was checking out.... So, I ended up testing things over and over until that Professional at Japanese Auto Center, Tim, diagnosed it as "it's the CAM", using Propane to run the motor, taking the EFI/pump/injector system out of the picture.

So start over here, Bo, and tell me/us, .....

1. What's it doing/not doing?
2. How's the power?
3. Do you have any strong misses/stalling/sputtering/backfiring/misfiring?
4. Have you Multi-metered anything?(list them)...Including the Injector Voltage Resistor?(not sure if your rig has one on the pass. fenderwall)
5. Then go from there.....adding things you've noticed, compression results, etc.

K?
Haha Chef your knoledge over powers mine by SOOOO much.

Alright number 1-Ive just noticed a slight clicking, you can barely hear it from the cab of the truck.
Number two- Power is great, never have any lack.
Number 3- No misses or backfiring, everything runs smooth.
Number 4- i havent hooked up any multi meters to anything yet because i havent really felt the need...Didn't think that the clicking was enough to worry about.
number 5- I threw a compression test on a while back and the compression read 175 on 3 cylinders and the other was 172 i think...(minimum 142 maximum 178) so all were in spec.

Maybe im just being parinoid lol
I dont think its loud enough to worry about, ive heard people talk about the injectors on the 22re's being loud anyways.
But i just noticed that the second one sounded a tad louder that the others...
Back when money was tight and i was running on 3 cylinders due to one injector being locked up...I had no choice but to order some cheapos off of amazon.com
they were like 86 bucks for all 4 with a 10,000 mile warranty.
Unfortunatly i dont think i could find the site again if i tried. And i threw the box containing the old injectors and warranty information away about 2 weeks ago.
But everything is running perfect as far as im concerned (knock on wood) so no need to worry ...I hope. Haha.

Last edited by Bojangles; 02-27-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:41 AM

Yeah, I would just let it go, Bo. Don't be ignorant of something obviously 'OFF', of course, but yeah, just drive it, homie! hahaha. That's GREAT compression, ....PAPOWWWWW! LOL.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:43 AM

Haha the whole reason i bought the truck was the motor was a brand new long block from Jasper Engines and had 700 miles on it when i drove it out of his yard, along with the 4 inch suspension lift .
Old 02-28-2011, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
love this pickup!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kuntryboy
love this pickup!
Thanks man!

Not finished yet, But she's a work in progress!
Old 03-01-2011, 03:32 AM

Soooo...Last night, me and a girl went ridin dirt roads...
After i missed my turn i went onto the grassy shoulder and kicked it around...Got back on pavement only to realize id lost all power steering...Drove 3 miles to the gas station only to figure out my power steering belt came off Scared me a little bit. Haha.
So while carrying on a complete conversation with the girl, i comensed to laying underneath my truck with a ratchet on the crank shaft pully slowly rotating the engine and convincing the belt to fall into place. When it did...Everything ran perfect
Goooooooooooooooooooo Toyota.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:12 AM

Woooooe, that coulda been NASTY splinterage of Fan'age! lol. And DON'T SAY POWER STEERING AROUND ME! Geeesh! hahahaha.

Jk, glad it wasn't anything more labor intensive, buddy!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:26 AM

Woooooe, that coulda been NASTY splinterage of Fan'age! lol. And DON'T SAY POWER STEERING AROUND ME! Geeesh! hahahaha.

Jk, glad it wasn't anything more labor intensive, buddy!
Haha me to! But on the way to work this morning i was running 65 mph on a bridge and lost power steering again!!!
So i drove 2 miles to autozone with no power steering and popped the hood and this time it ate the belt up!
So i bought a new one, had it on in 4 minutes, and i stopped at burger king for breakfast and was still at work on time!!!

Haha i forgot to mention last night when i slung it around and lost power steering my first thought was "*Gasp*...Chef....were gonna be in the same boat buddie!!!"
Old 03-01-2011, 10:38 AM

Hahahaha. Nahhhhhhh, sounds like you just a had a crap belt that was hanging on by a thread. HOWEVER............, LOL, .............. seriously, are you CERTAINNNNNNNN that your idler pulley, pump bearing aren't causing this? I know, if either of those chew up another belt, big deal, right? But, just curious if it was A SURE thing as to what happened, ....or if you're not so sure why the belt got chewed up. I lost an idler pulley that was going out, and before it did, ....I went through 2 belts.

I'm sure you're good to go, ...but if not, before you buy a pulley, GO TO NAPA and you can buy the bearing, press the old one out, new one in, DONE! I did mine 140K ago and it's alllllllll good to this day! lol.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:44 AM

Haha honestly? I think the belt was just old and dry rotted.
And when i put it back on last night i could see where it was pretty chewed up so i knew i was gonna have to replace it soon. But if it tears this one up that will be my next move!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 AM

sUWEEEEEEEt! lol. Honestly, not trying to be paranoid...... but have you read my thread? hahhaha. What's that Murphy's Law rule? "If something CAN go wrong, ...it usually will", lol.

I'm on to yet another mystery section(to me, anyhow, lol) with my AC, soon..... so I'm sure I'll find some time saving nuggets while in there! hahaha. I will be in places where it's 120*F...... Camping, etc., near ice melt water, .....LOVE THAT KINDA CAMPING! lol..... and I DO NOT want to be completely w/out AC if I don't have to be, ya know? It's fun learning, ya know?....just not so fun learning the hard way! hahaha.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:13 AM

sUWEEEEEEEt! lol. Honestly, not trying to be paranoid...... but have you read my thread? hahhaha. What's that Murphy's Law rule? "If something CAN go wrong, ...it usually will", lol.

I'm on to yet another mystery section(to me, anyhow, lol) with my AC, soon..... so I'm sure I'll find some time saving nuggets while in there! hahaha. I will be in places where it's 120*F...... Camping, etc., near ice melt water, .....LOVE THAT KINDA CAMPING! lol..... and I DO NOT want to be completely w/out AC if I don't have to be, ya know? It's fun learning, ya know?....just not so fun learning the hard way! hahaha.
Haha ive got to do the same thing.
Ive got to buy a metal hose that goes right behind the grille for my A/C to work and ive got to get a mechanic to wire up my compresser. (I guess when they put the new motor in for the other guy, they didn't wire up his compresser cutting corners)
But that one little hose is like 70 bucks if im right.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:34 AM

Sorry guys, not a whole lot going on right now...So not much to write about haha.

Im slowly, little by little getting 1 tie rod here, 1 tie rod there in the mail but im still missing 1 inner and 1 outter and then ill have my whole order

My transmission should be here today or tomorrow. (Thank god)

And i just ordered the hose for my air conditioning to get fixed from Toyotapartscheap.com

Hopefully this hose will fit cause the last one i ordered was for a 1995 taco :mad:
So who know's.

Night before last i pulled out a 4 door Z71 with 4 inch suspension lift and 33x12.50 Mud Grapplers Everyone in town is goin around sayin i have the baddest yota around hahaha.
The boy i pulled out said "Damn....Ive gotta get me a yota!"
Old 03-02-2011, 10:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Hahahaha that's great!!
Old 03-03-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Hahahaha that's great!!
Then i crawled through his ruts in 2wd haha.

So summit decided it would be funny to send me 3 inner tie rods and 1 outer ......
I called them and rung them out so they are sending me an outer tie rod with free shipping and sent me a prepaid return label for the inner tie rod.
So now its just another waiting game ....

On the bright side, UPS is scheduled for delivery for my transmission today

Now my question is...Should i just take on the job myself and change out the trannys by myself...Or should i pay this guy 200 bucks and have my truck back at the end of the day? For all that work...200 sounds like a good price for the hassle.

Quick Reply: Bojangles 1987&1994 Toyota pickup build-up thread