86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Bojangles 1987&1994 Toyota pickup build-up thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:28 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry man, REALLY been busy, ...work, tinker with the rig, work, tinker with the rig..... the work part taking 98% or so of that percentage! hahaha.

Sure will, if ya need it. I was gonna do a video, while I had the lid off... but again, they borrowed the camera for a grandkids play. BUT, .... it's not that difficult. It's not CAKE, as it take a lil practice to get the method down(you'll go to tighten down the nut and the adjuster screw'll move,.....quite a few times, actually, most likely! hahaha. It's just something you will get a feel for.

2 things I will say, 1 repeat......GET that valve adjusting tool(I'll take a pic for ya....Mines a snap on, but you can get em almost any parts store worth a dang). The other is, make sure you have an angled set of feelers....they make it SO MUCH easier when dealing with a top end that is around 180 DEGREES F! LOL.

Basically, when you're certain you're at TDC, dizzy on #1, you'll feel the first 2 rockers on the intake from the front and first and 3rd on the exhaust will be moveable....they'll clickity click away(they'd better, lol). Then, roll it over once on the crank 360*, back to '0'..... you'll find the remaining valves ready for adjusting. The biggest pain will be the intake valves, especially the ones the run right next to the vacuum rail.... but as the good man Lumpster pointed it...and he's right... IT'S NOTHIN big, ..you'll get it.

The FSM is very thorough...but honestly? You don't really need anything but a Haynes or Chiltons for that maintenance. You'll be fine, bud...

Mark
Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 PM

I'll try to find time in the next couple days and do you a good paint shop dealio, pointing out which valves first, etc.

PS> Do you have a special cam? If so, the clearances can vary, ya know? If it's stock, it's .007 and .009 . You can't 'get close', like with the TPS adjustment. They have to be right on, or, like with mine, after you've done it a few times....you can get it pretty much right on if you have an 8 and 10 feeler, lol.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Soooo...Friday night was fun

Old 02-13-2011, 05:00 PM

HAHAHAHA! Now that's dirt'EEEEEEEEEE! lol. Looks like you had fun, man!

You got the valve adjustment covered, by any chance? Still looking for aide? Just curious. Been busy, but I'll be glad to help.

Talk soon, Bo, take care,

Mark
Old 02-13-2011, 08:04 PM

Haha it took 10 dollars at the car wash to clean it.

Unfortunatly i haven't gotten around to it, But im wondering if most of the noise is just coming from when i had the oil changed, cause usually i go to Jiffylube to get it done, but this time Jiffylube was packed so i took it to the shop (Id do it myself, but the warranty states that i have to have receipts stating that i had it done)
And this ticking sound started after i had an oil change, so im thinking its the brand or weight of oil they used.

But no matter what, that valve train still needs to be tightened up after 15,000 miles so i need to get on the ball lol.
So any advice/help/walking me through it would be helpful.
And where can i get the tools?
Old 02-14-2011, 11:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hahahahaha nice and dirty it looks like my truck lol
Old 02-14-2011, 12:34 PM

Hahaha it hasnt seen mud like that in a longggggggg time.

So im thinking about buying this Detroit locker from summit racing...What you think?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWT-1620-LR/
Old 02-14-2011, 01:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bojangles

So im thinking about buying this Detroit locker from summit racing...What you think?

Not a bad price on that. I'm not too familiar with them though. Read some reviews.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was also looking at getting a locker. not a bad deal on that at all
Old 02-16-2011, 10:17 AM

Yeah its def not a bad deal, and im looking up some reviews now.
A buddie of mine had them in his 95 taco and he said he loved them.
So we'll see

I got in touch with autozone and they said that they haven't heard anything about an order...Somehow my paper work did not get filed and the guy that was supposed to order my transmission screwed up and forgot.
So they will be cutting me a nice discount and they said the tranny is being built today and will be shipped out and should be here tuesday or no later than wednesday.
If its not here by wednesday, ill shoot someone. Ive got all of the parts for the truck laying in my room haha.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:20 AM

Bookmarked link, ...now, moving back on to my Alfred Hitchcock "Bloody-Red Mystery Truck"! Hahaha.

Bo, if you have any knowledge of steering components/diagnosis, .....please lend ANYTHING you feel is pertinent in my build thread? Thanks, sorry for jacking the threadage! lol.

PS> CAN'T WAIT for your hootin and hollerin when you get that tranny!
Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bojangles

They are nice lockers, and do NOT require setting backlash so you can do it yourself.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 02-16-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by yotarob2005
They are nice lockers, only draw back is the cost to have it installed. It is not a DIY type project unless you know how to set the backlash in your Ring and Pinion.

Don't those install just as the Aussie's do? If so you don't have to mess with the backlash.

http://gearinstalls.com/aussielocker.htm

Old 02-16-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy
Don't those install just as the Aussie's do? If so you don't have to mess with the backlash.

Sorry.....I'm a tard, yes the do install like an Aussie. It is a "lunch box" and you can install it yourself with out havinf to set back lash. I edited my last post.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:57 AM

It's all good. I was hoping I just didn't miss something. I will be getting an Aussie this spring for the truck if all goes well. Yeah for me!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Bookmarked link, ...now, moving back on to my Alfred Hitchcock "Bloody-Red Mystery Truck"! Hahaha.

Bo, if you have any knowledge of steering components/diagnosis, .....please lend ANYTHING you feel is pertinent in my build thread? Thanks, sorry for jacking the threadage! lol.

PS> CAN'T WAIT for your hootin and hollerin when you get that tranny!
Chef i wish i did, thats why i haven't commented on the thread in a while. Im completely stumped!!! haha.
But i hope you figure it out soon, and im still following the thread!!!
Thanks man, i hope its here wednesday...

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
They are nice lockers, and do NOT require setting backlash so you can do it yourself.

I think yall are right.
And im pretty sure i am capable of all of this, im pretty mechanically inclined...
But would it be worth it to pay someone 100 bucks to install it and save me the troubles?
Old 02-16-2011, 12:20 PM

Me paying someone to do something I can do is not worth it. But that's just me.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:23 PM

Me paying someone to do something I can do is not worth it. But that's just me.
True, But seeing as that i have NO experience tearing down a 3rd member, would it be safe to get someone else to do it till i can get a dummy 3rd to practice on?
Im a play it safe and think ahead kind of guy lol
Old 02-16-2011, 12:27 PM

Well you got me there...I have a parts truck I'm going to tear into before I open mine up...but I think it's pretty straight forward. I haven't done one either...yet.

Put the rear on stands.
Pull the tires
pop the axles out
pull the 3rd
out go spiders in goes locker
now reverse

Sounds simple doesn't it. I hope it goes that easily.

From all that I have read it's not all that bad. Just when your in there check your wheel bearings and axle seals, probably want to replace the seals at least.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:30 PM

Well you got me there...I have a parts truck I'm going to tear into before I open mine up...but I think it's pretty straight forward. I haven't done one either...yet.

Put the rear on stands.
Pull the tires
pop the axles out
pull the 3rd
out go spiders in goes locker
now reverse

Sounds simple doesn't it. I hope it goes that easily.

From all that I have read it's not all that bad. Just when your in there check your wheel bearings and axle seals, probably want to replace the seals at least.

Sounds waayyyy to easy hahaha.
But i may get the cahunas to try it, but a buddie of mine has his own shop down the road and he gave me a really good deal on doing it...Who knows...

Since i plan on re-gearing also, should i save up and buy the gears and lockers (For front and back) At the same time, or should i put the lockers in with the 4:10's and wait till i get 5.29's?

Quick Reply: Bojangles 1987&1994 Toyota pickup build-up thread