86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Bojangles 1987&1994 Toyota pickup build-up thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by trevorrhine
i hate people that think their crap dont stink and dont know anything about cars in the first place.
Exactly! Ive got to teach these boys.

Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
Does your buddy live under a rock? He does seem to be a funny guy
I think he was dropped on his head as a child....Multiple times. Haha.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
HAHAHAHA! I had a girlfriend call me once, screaming, "My car is smoking and smells really bad, and it wont go!".... I asked, "Did the lights warn you?" She answered, "Uhhh, yeah, the Engine light was flashing, and oil light, but I had to get off the freeway first!".... "You just blew up your motor, you can't drive w/out oil, and you had a leak, and it warned ya, ..so there you go", I said, ..... to which she answered, and I quote, ....."What?? It had oil when I bought it!", hahahaha! She blew up a nearly Brand new Northstar V8 Cadillac, lol. It just had an oil leak from a sender or something that she didn't wanna take in for a few hours on a recall.
When i sold my yota, the guy called me 4 days later and said
"Josh?...Hey...uhm...The motor wont crank, i dont know why"
"What'd you do?"
"Uhm...I dont know...Can you come look at it?
When i climbed under the truck, there was a nice pretty piston rod sticking out of the oil pan...and that oil pan did NOT have a drain plug in it.
So while he was playing in the mud, he blew the motor...On my first truck Bout brought me to tears.

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
Well there's your problem lol
Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
Shoulda had a yota hahah.
Everyone should have a yota
Because everyone knows that a yota could run 3000 miles without a drop of oil. Bahaha.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:34 PM

Although...Mine didn't.
But thats not the point!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was simply referring to the fact that those Northstar V8's are notoriously bad for leaking oil.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
I was simply referring to the fact that those Northstar V8's are notoriously bad for leaking oil.
Hmm...Ive never heard that...
But then again, Caddys aren't in my every day conversation lol.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bojangles
Hmm...Ive never heard that...
But then again, Caddys aren't in my every day conversation lol.
I know 3 people who had them and they all had to add about a quart of oil every 1000 miles.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:16 PM

Wtf???

What good is spending 50,000 dollars on a car that leaks/burns a quart every 1000 miles???
Old 02-07-2011, 02:34 PM

Wtf???

What good is spending 50,000 dollars on a car that leaks/burns a quart every 1000 miles???
lol its not.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:39 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I think that some of those motors, the ones squeezed in there, they had oil senders and such in difficult places.... Plus, the blocks are aluminum.... (Aluminum + No oil or Water = DONE!) lol. Anyway, it was just the sender, which she could have driven in and they'd have fixed it for FREE, ..just her lost time. But, NOOOOOOOOO! lol. Not sure where else they leak, but that was a common problem that, once it started to thread out, ...it would finally just POP OUT, completely, and you'd lose all oil pressure in about 10 seconds, .......plus, much of your oil, too! lol. Thus, 'TURN OFF QUICK ONCE LIGHT COMES ON..... or else!" She didn't do that, instead driving it another 5 miles, ....thus, "You voided the warranty, ma'am!" 5G'S!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:46 AM

I think that some of those motors, the ones squeezed in there, they had oil senders and such in difficult places.... Plus, the blocks are aluminum.... (Aluminum + No oil or Water = DONE!) lol. Anyway, it was just the sender, which she could have driven in and they'd have fixed it for FREE, ..just her lost time. But, NOOOOOOOOO! lol. Not sure where else they leak, but that was a common problem that, once it started to thread out, ...it would finally just POP OUT, completely, and you'd lose all oil pressure in about 10 seconds, .......plus, much of your oil, too! lol. Thus, 'TURN OFF QUICK ONCE LIGHT COMES ON..... or else!" She didn't do that, instead driving it another 5 miles, ....thus, "You voided the warranty, ma'am!" 5G'S!
Haha Thats like saying "Well i know im having a heart attack, but ill just wait till next week to go to the hospital."
And you are right chef,
Aluminum does NOT like friction and it does NOT like to get hot.
I have a few friends who have figured that out the hard way. lol

ALRIGHT!....For the past week or so ive noticed what seems to be the ticking of my valve train starting to get a little bit louder...My engine has right at 15,000 miles on it, and ive heard that you should tighten the rocker arms after 15,000 miles. I have no idea how to do this as ive never done it before...It is currently under warranty, should they do this for me? Any ideas?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hell if anythings under warranty, why not get em to fix it lol
Old 02-08-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Not sure on that one, Bo, ...better read the fine print. Mine, I found out the hard way, would involve taking my motor out and bringing to them.....thus, I did it myself, hahaha....and then I did it again, and then thought, "Hmm, this cam is falling apart, maybe just leave it? NAH, ok, new cam it is", did it again, ....then again 2 times as I broke in the new cam. YAY! lol. But seriously... warranties can vary, and sometimes, it will only include parts, not labor(unless something they did went wrong.....I would doubt it's covered, but who knows?lol)

It's really not that difficult, brudda.... just go through the FSM and take your time,....then, if you really wanna make it easier, get a valve adjusting tool made for our motors. MADE IT SO MUCH EASIER and more steady with the adjuster screw/nut, simultaneously. REALLY worth it, IMHO. So, if you need some instruction, send me a PM and I'll be glad to walk you through it. HOWEVER, ...if they DO include that in warranty/maintenance... sure, go for it, why not?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by 87hillbillyoter
hell if anythings under warranty, why not get em to fix it lol
Not sure on that one, Bo, ...better read the fine print. Mine, I found out the hard way, would involve taking my motor out and bringing to them.....thus, I did it myself, hahaha....and then I did it again, and then thought, "Hmm, this cam is falling apart, maybe just leave it? NAH, ok, new cam it is", did it again, ....then again 2 times as I broke in the new cam. YAY! lol. But seriously... warranties can vary, and sometimes, it will only include parts, not labor(unless something they did went wrong.....I would doubt it's covered, but who knows?lol)

It's really not that difficult, brudda.... just go through the FSM and take your time,....then, if you really wanna make it easier, get a valve adjusting tool made for our motors. MADE IT SO MUCH EASIER and more steady with the adjuster screw/nut, simultaneously. REALLY worth it, IMHO. So, if you need some instruction, send me a PM and I'll be glad to walk you through it. HOWEVER, ...if they DO include that in warranty/maintenance... sure, go for it, why not?

My thoughts exactly.
Let me check with the warranty company and see what they say.
If not ill end up doing it myself. I dont mind getting my hands a little dirty

Old 02-09-2011, 10:53 AM

I just got in touch with my warranty company, they said "Tightening the valve train is not included in the warranty. That is considered maintainance."
Therefore i would guess i will be doing this myself.

Chef, PM me with any tips and instructions you may have if you dont mind!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow, slow day at work today...Just read/skimmed the thread.

Nice ride, she's looking good.

I would not go with a higher lift but I would get longer rear springs and toss those blocks.

valve adjusting is a snap, nothing hard about that, just have to do it warm and try not to get burnt. Also give the head a torque test as well just to be sure. It's all in the book.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Wow, slow day at work today...Just read/skimmed the thread.

Nice ride, she's looking good.

I would not go with a higher lift but I would get longer rear springs and toss those blocks.

valve adjusting is a snap, nothing hard about that, just have to do it warm and try not to get burnt. Also give the head a torque test as well just to be sure. It's all in the book.

Thanks!
Im actually sitting at work myself haha.
I work at a marina, the dock is full, there are no boats coming in, and no one leaving. Which leaves me sitting on Yotatech

As for the lift, i dont think im going anymore on the suspension.
When i regear it, im planning on possibly putting a small body lift on and going from my 34's to 36's.

Id also like to find some longer springs for the back so i could get rid of the blocks. I think it would actually soften up my ride a bit because i think mine are actually pretty worn out right now.

Im going to have to read up on the FSM because i have thrown my haynes manual in the trash. (I hated it)
Next manual i buy will be a chiltons.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
As for the rear and springs...look into the Chevy 63's and get a hanger kit...They might get you high enough with longer shackles. If not check out wabfab.org
Old 02-09-2011, 01:26 PM

Thanks!
Im actually sitting at work myself haha.
I work at a marina, the dock is full, there are no boats coming in, and no one leaving. Which leaves me sitting on Yotatech

As for the lift, i dont think im going anymore on the suspension.
When i regear it, im planning on possibly putting a small body lift on and going from my 34's to 36's.

Id also like to find some longer springs for the back so i could get rid of the blocks. I think it would actually soften up my ride a bit because i think mine are actually pretty worn out right now.

Im going to have to read up on the FSM because i have thrown my haynes manual in the trash. (I hated it)
Next manual i buy will be a chiltons.
Gotta be like me and have an FSM, Haynes, Chilton and no-name manual.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
As for the rear and springs...look into the Chevy 63's and get a hanger kit...They might get you high enough with longer shackles. If not check out wabfab.org
Yeah ive looked at wabfab at the add a leaf and ball joint spacers to lift it up two more inches. Ive already got a differential drop, so i dont think it would hurt anything.

But i had a set of 63's off of an old 2wd chevy pickup and i sold the whole truck not thinking about it

Oh well...Ill have to search around.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know where i can get this cluster visor from? Its been missing since i bought this truck!

I just replaced the one in my 94 a couple weeks ago. I found a dealership that has a ton of stuff for these trucks. I needed the antenna assembly and got it from them as well. Stuff's not cheap though! I think this part was about $90 shipped. Try this out..... http://www.partswebsite.com/pagetoyo...123&type=parts
Old 02-10-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by nate2169
I just replaced the one in my 94 a couple weeks ago. I found a dealership that has a ton of stuff for these trucks. I needed the antenna assembly and got it from them as well. Stuff's not cheap though! I think this part was about $90 shipped. Try this out..... http://www.partswebsite.com/pagetoyo...123&type=parts
Thanks man, Ive found a website that was like $80 shipped, i just cant bring myself to spend 80 bucks on a piece of plastic right now haha.
But i will sooner or later.
Did yours come with the little screws to attach it to the dash board?

I just placed an order for my antenna yesterday so it should be here tomorrow!

Quick Reply: Bojangles 1987&1994 Toyota pickup build-up thread