86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

BlazeN8's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The lower ride is mine. Number three in my signature. Here is the build thread.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f198...thread-263221/

Here is a head to head photo.

Name:  2012_02_03a_zps786a0b9a.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  59.6 KB
Old 02-21-2014, 08:09 PM

Well its been a few weeks so I'll bring everyone up to speed. I've been really happy with the front end with the 18" 400lb springs. It works great on the street and off road. The minimal pre-load is much more stable. Last weekend I made another trip to Ocotillo Wells. The freeway drive and mountain roads getting there took much less effort with the added stability. Out on the trails it also felt more stable with less body roll but overall dropping from a 500lb to a 400lb didn't do much in terms of performance. Last trip I did more flat ground off trail blazing over rougher terrain. This trip was a lot of higher speed 2wd washes and trails on the first day hanging with the bikes and quads. We also hit up some hill climbs at a few of the hot spots. Albert showed off with a series of impressive hill climbs up the face of devils slide. Here is a video of one of the runs at it.

I caught quite a bit of flack for wussing out, but if you compare the center of gravity of our rigs and take note of my bald tires I think I made a wise decision. Besides, I've been up it before in the Fordota.

Albert and I did some wheeling at sunset and into the dark in the mud hills just outside camp, we were staying at Holmes Camp. I was following Mantruck and he made it up one off camber climb that I lost traction on and slid sideways into a ravine. I was able to back down the ravine but it was sketchy. I tried it a second time in 4 low in 1st gear with a little more speed and heavy throttle but ended up doing the same thing. The third time I tried a 4WD Low and second gear with even more speed and throttle and made it. Albert was out of his truck and had walked back to see what was my hold up on the third time. He saw me just in time to see me make it. The high CG and bald tires on my 4 runner really made it less than enjoyable. So what did we do, loop around and do it again.

BTW, here is the ManTruck parked at camp for those not familiar with the rig.

Name:  2014_02_21_zps0ed565c8.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  49.3 KB

The next day Albert took off for home but Jeff (my co-pilot) and three buds on dirt bikes went for a nice ride. I enjoy being chase to bike and don't even mind being the beer cooler as long as I get a few cold ones. We went on a nice ride into Anza Borrega around the back side of Blow Sand and checked out a wagon train pass used by settlers. There was some nice elevation change and views along the Butte. There was also some high speed sections I noted 65 MPH on the speedo.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:12 PM

Overall I am really happy with the mega travel. I am not liking the high center of gravity and the bald tires. My plan was to try and build my 4 Runner as a IFS crawler but it seems to be evolving more towards a pre-runner. I am wanting to try and get the front to flex more especially on the up travel. I am hitting the bump stops on higher speed stuff but on slow crawl mode things its just not stuffing up like I am wanting. I've been working with a Tech at King as I mentioned earlier but I don't seem to be getting anywhere with that lately. I proposed some different spring configurations back in January and the past few responses are not what I am wanting to hear. This is the last e-mail response I recieved.

On Friday, January 31, 2014 4:28 PM, xxx@kingshocks.com> wrote:

Is the 4” spring now completely compressed or are you on the secondary nuts at ride height? You can change to two longer springs like a 10” and 12” to get it to feel more loose or sway more. I think what your wanting is articulation and you just wont get that with an IFS suspension and that is why you will find more crawlers are straight axle.

I cant keep buying springs and doing the trial and error BS. I think I am getting close but even the experts are getting burned out on dealing with this. No call backs or e-mail responses? Its too bad there isn't a way to check out springs from an inventory of demo springs to get the tuning dialed. Here is a few of the springs I have collected. I also have two rigs with multiple springs installed. I have also sold and traded stuff on C.L. and Race Dezert. Currently I am wanting 10"-350lb / 12"-400. Maybe King is right and this will be a bit "loose and sway more" but maybe it will allow full articulation from bump stop to limit stretch.

Name:  IMG_4392_zps40c33659.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  49.4 KB

Last edited by BlazeN8; 02-21-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:17 PM

As I mentioned above this Mega Runner is evolving as more of a pre-runner than a crawler. In all frankness, I am fine with that as that is the type of wheeling I enjoy most. As a pre-runner the rear Bilstein shocks just don't cut it. They will articulate nice but start hammering through the whoops and forget it. Being cheap skate Nate I am broke as usual so I scavenged the shocks off the rear of the fordota. A good way to do a bit of trail and error without spending a fortune. Anyway here goes a picture story.

A comparison of the two shocks off the rigs. On top is the Bilstein 5100 universal 14" stroke 2.0 shocks. The bottom is a Fox 2.0 14" travel piggy back bypass shock.

Name:  2014_02_21_A_zps0b905d8c.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  61.6 KB

Here is the long shot and the zoom in of the Fox shocks on the 4 Runner.

Name:  2014_02_21_B_zps3bfc835f.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  58.3 KB

Name:  2014_02_21_C_zpsa6cbd06b.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  48.2 KB

Name:  2014_02_21_D_zps1025d240.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  60.8 KB

And a few close up shots of the over all assembly.

Name:  2014_02_21_E_zpsfd94b547.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  125.8 KB

Name:  2014_02_21_F_zps050750ae.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  120.1 KB

Name:  2014_02_21_G_zpsd1af8838.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  131.1 KB

The lower shock mount is detailed earlier in this build thread. Here is the old upper mount compared to the new.

Name:  2014_02_21_H_zps8bbaaf62.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  2014_02_21_I_zpseae9dace.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  44.7 KB

When I built this it was never meant to be permanent. That is why it was bolted to the frame and was not welded. I had made a couple of different length attachments for different shock lengths and configurations. I even had a double shock mount at one point.

Name:  2014_02_21_J_zpsa38689e5.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  51.8 KB

Name:  2014_02_21_K_zps848e04b2.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  54.5 KB

As you can see from the photos its manually machined on a 3/8" base plate. There are two 1/2-13 holes tapped for secondary attachments. The secondary attachments are what I had been reconfiguring but this latest attachment I just welded straight to the 3/8" base plate. Next go around will be laser cutting the base plates and welding the attachments. I am debating if the base plate should be bolted or welded to the frame. Tapping 3/8" threaded holes into the 1/8" frame rail doesn't give a lot of strength. I think with some CADD work and refining I could make a much cleaner bracket assembly. Anyway I am probably getting ahead of myself, need to do some prototype testing at this stage.

I'll be heading down to Baja California to the town of San Felipe on Sunday. I'll be there for a week to watch the race and chill with Team Psycho. I should get a good feel for the performance improvements in that environment. Team Psycho has been there all this week for pre-running. The reports are the whoops are bigger and more brutal than ever. My little 4 Runner is going to get swallowed up. I'll be the guy hanging with the VW bugs and UTVs.

Last edited by BlazeN8; 02-21-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Nate I did notice all of the crawlers in KOH were using a long tightly wound thin looking spring on 2.0 coilovers. Those were on the solid axle rigs.

It may be a valving and weight issue. I think my T100 flexes nicely because it has a heavier front end. I would be curious to see how the same set up would flex on the Fordota with the heavy V8 motor.

Who knows. Im just throwing ideas out there... im no expert.

Maybe the 2.0s flex better because of having less oil resistance.

My buddies bronco II (beams) with the 350/400 dual rate springs flexes great but he has a longer lever arm working on the shock. So i would think a similar weighted vehicle with less of a lever arm may need even softer?

Nice Video! crazy hill! Sounds like a fun trip!

Last edited by Zpd426; 02-22-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:55 AM

I've been thinking about how valving would effect flex / articulation. If your vehicle is moving at super slow speed or just parked on a rock it shouldn't. The valving in the shock controls the time it takes to equalize the pressure from one chamber of the shock to the other. The valve shims regulate the volume and speed. Think of a tire puncture from a large 16 penny nail verses a small finish nail or brad. The large nail puncture will go flat in a couple of minutes while the brad may take hours.

Pressure will effect flex / articulation. A 300 psi nitrogen charge will press back differently than a 200 psi charge. Compare a charged nitrogen shock to a discharged one off the vehicle. When charged it is very difficult to compress and when force is removed it will press back till fully extended. If is discharged it is easy to collapse and when force is removed it doesn't try to extend. A discharged shock with a loose valve shim stack can be collapsed quickly where as a shock with a tight stack will collapse much slower.

I propose a valve setting will not effect the flex or articulation if the rig is parked on a rock. However the pressure or charge of the shock will. Another example of this is an Air Shock. Add pressure and the vehicle raises, remove pressure and it lowers. In this example the valving controls the time it takes to react not the ride height.

I am thinking its a spring rate and spring length adjustment in my case. For example compare two 500lb springs. One spring is 14" long and the other is 18" long. If you compress both springs 6" the 14" spring will react differently than the 18" spring. I found it interesting comparing my 500lb 16" spring to my 400lb 18" spring. The amount of pre-load, holding the ride height, measuring the suspension flex, etc. I have been meaning to use the SAW online calculators to answer some questions, but I have no means of weighing each corner of the rig. King doesn't seem to offer any of these services, maybe SAW does. I started filling out the form (with all the length and angle measurements) but I need to take my rig to a shop to have it weighed. This would allow me to fill in all the blanks so I could actually use the calculators.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:47 PM

The Baja 250 trip was a good time. The Mega Runner worked fairly well and nothing broke dispite some heavy abuse. I am finding more complications in setting up the suspension. A picture is worth a thousand words so what is a video worth? Anyway, Brent got a nice clip of the Runner from the Blazer in some big roller whoops on Old Puertecitos Road. He held the camera and drove on the smooth side so the motor sound is from his rig not mine. The Blazer is a Class 8 race rig with a 383 stroker.

Name:  2014_03_02_A_zpsfe6f05d0.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  53.8 KB

Old 03-03-2014, 03:30 PM

Here is another compilation of short clips. You can see without a passenger the front planes out better and isn't hard bottoming on the fender. Tim weighs 215 lbs and it made a big difference. Also these whoops were smaller and closer together. I needed a a good distance to get to speed. 50 to 60 MPH took it best. 3rd gear was pegged and 4th was bogging down. Need some more power!

Old 03-03-2014, 05:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lookin good !!! wish my truck worked like that. someday...

heavier spring or more compression dampening?

btw how much are you aired down to?
Old 03-03-2014, 05:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love the slowmo video. Nice work.

It's cool watching how IFS works.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 PM

Thanks Red Wag! Good questions and observations donomite. I saw in the video, as you probably did, that in a few places in the roller whoops where the front end came down hard the tires looked like they had super low pressure. I had aired down to 10 psi to drive on the beach but at some point went back to 14 psi, but not sure what day was what. I must have been at 10 psi in the roller whoops because it sure looks like a lot of tire flex. On one particular part of the race course that we pre-ran, at the Southern end, there was a 5 mile up hill wash with really soft grainy sand. I almost aired back down to 10 psi, but I knew just around the bend I would have regrets so I just locked the hubs. I even had to go between 4 hi and 4 low. 4 hi was either 1st, 2nd or third and 4 low was 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Having a 100 HP four banger is a real drag. The Blazer was aired to 20 psi and is a 2 WD vehicle, but 500 HP and automatic turbo 400 tranny and it powers through no problem.

There are a lot a variables I am considering in moving forward on setting up the 4 Runners suspension. First off is what type rig am I aiming to build. Do I want a flexy trail rig for low speed or a pre-runner for high speed....... or a combination of the both. I am some what wanting to push the IFS vrs SAS thing but its not a personal mission or something I feel motivated to chase after. If I go the crawler route I need a doubler and selectable front and rear lockers. The rear Aussie locker is in need of upgrade. I am so over the lurching and ratcheting on the street. Today there was a big puddle of gear oil under the rear diff. I thinks its just a gasket but I need to pull out the third member to instal a new one so I'll find out soon enough.

If I go the pre-runner route the lack of horse power is a big problem. Lets just assume for now I am going to build the 4 skinner into a dedicated pre-runner. I think the front shock could use some more compression but it may also need more spring too. I sent the video footage to my contact at King and he watched them and wrote me back, yeah! He had some questions and I sent him some answers. I imagine we will be going back and forth over the next couple of weeks and I'll be making a trip or two to Garden Grove. I think short term I need to at least put the 1/2" shims back on the bump stops. I think long term I am wanting some hydro / air bump stops. A secondary bypass shock is on the wish list too.

For the rear, I am needing a lot more up travel. But as you all have seen from earlier in the build thread the tire rubs the fenders when its crossed up on the RTI ramp. Odd enough, hammering through the whoops and I am seeing at least 2" of clearance between the tire and fender. The 4-1/2" bumps could be swapped out in a matter of minutes but as soon as I flex the articulation the tire rubs. I need all the up travel possible when the axle is paralle to the horizontal plane but limit it when it angles to one side or the other. A rear sway bar may be a possible solution? This will also help with body roll and will also force the front end to flex better. Moving the front spring hangers forward 3/4" will also help the tire rubbing but it is not something I am looking forward to. Trimming the rear fenders on a 4 Runner gets into the double wall of the inner and outer fender and it looks tricky to do in a clean way.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:04 PM

Great videos! You need a v8 in that thing!
Old 03-04-2014, 04:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i like the idea of a T100 rear axle that is 8.5" wider for suspension clearance/match front track width. a set of deavers and a spring under axle kit and a shock tower/cage
with bumps.
can you put bumps on the front? need an engine cage for support?

also like the supra LSD front and rear with upgrades http://www.weirperformance.com/

i'm gonna have to go with a combo vehicle plan so i can use it for everything.
all it takes is money and time to do it. someday.
seems like if you have the money you don't have the time and if you have the time you don't have the money.

anyway you have the runner working good and it's only going to get better.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:43 PM

Zach, you know it brotha, a V8 would be nice! But been there done that and the reliability of the 22RE just cant be matched. I drove the Fordota today and as usual it has issues! Idle is wacked. Plus its missing rear shocks. It was interesting driving with the bounce. I need to pull the Fox shocks off the 4 Runner and put them back on the 40Yota. Too bad, I was really liking them on the 4Skinner.

Dono, the T-100 rear axle is really wide! The third member is also different, I believe its an 8.4" like the Tundra. I think a 2nd Gen Tacoma wider than the 1st Gen. Here are some specs I found online. I am not certain everything I am saying is 100% so feel free to verify on your own.

55" wide, '79-85 4wd trucks/4runners
58" wide, '86-95 4wd trucks/4runners
60.75" wide, 1995.5-2004 Tacoma
64.5" wide, 2005+ Tacoma
66.75" wide, '93-98 T100 trucks (this is a 8.4")

If your looking for about 3" of lift use the spring under Deaver f67. If you run it as a spring over it could be in the 6" of lift range but its not a turn key design. I went with All-Pro 6" lift "long travel" springs as it is turn key. It has all the hanger brackets and shackles so there is less guess work. And it was less expensive.

Right on, air / hydro bumps could be installed up front and an engine cage would be needed if you keyed them off the UCA. If you located them of the LCAs then some cutting and welding with some brackets to the frame would be less intricate. Ditto on the time and money observations!
Old 03-05-2014, 09:13 AM

Well you will just have to use a reliable motor for your v8 swap or a 3.4 with a supercharger!

I was surprised by how much of a difference having a passenger made in the videos.

It looks like the best way to set up the suspension is to get the truck in the final stages before fine tuning... Adding a winch after tuning the suspension would ruin it possibly. which is exactly what im going to be doing... but oh well shocks are easy to re valve.

Is there enough room for a Diff any bigger than the 8"? what if i found a dana 44 from the rear of a c5 or Jag
Old 03-06-2014, 07:40 PM

Yeah Zach, a 215lb passenger and a full tank of gas made a difference. I could feel it in the whoops and I could even feel it in the power. I observed a change when Tim switched over to the Blazer half way through one of the pre-runs.

I have not tried to re valved a shock yet but I am researching it. I found a really good website to explain some things. When I got the Kings the tag attached to the shock stated valving 15,15,F,20->/12 To understand what this means go to

http://www.crawlpedia.com/shock_valving.htm
Old 03-09-2014, 06:52 PM

Today I pulled off the rear Fox shocks and put back the Billy's I also took a good close look at why the rear diff was leaking. It turned out to be loose nuts on the studs connecting the third to the housing. Love it when the repair is that easy
Old 03-13-2014, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed. I have been interested in your DIY packages for quite some time Blaze, glad to see it all coming along.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:57 PM

a couple of racers from our spectator pit.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:00 PM

This was a cool video of tech day in town from a remote control helicopter.

Quick Reply: BlazeN8's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread