86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

blakefogt's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:31 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
There's always a chance it's the input shaft seal......... Sure it's not trans fluid? Mine ended up being that seal, member? (I'm sure you're finding a lack of oil that you'd once put in, ... right?)

VERY sorry you have to find time to do that.... lil bit of a PITA, but not too bad, Blake, .... you'll knock it out quick!
Old 06-25-2012, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
There's always a chance it's the input shaft seal......... Sure it's not trans fluid? Mine ended up being that seal, member? (I'm sure you're finding a lack of oil that you'd once put in, ... right?)

VERY sorry you have to find time to do that.... lil bit of a PITA, but not too bad, Blake, .... you'll knock it out quick!
At least I'm working in the right field for it!
Old 06-25-2012, 07:48 AM

Definitely not transfluid though.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
maybe its the oil pan? if you do drop the trans. look into doing the clutch just to save time
The clutch is in great shape unfortunately :p but yea I figured id make a day out of it and do the oil pan gasket too... Just in case. Maybe come to work on a Saturday or somethin. I hate doing work right after 9 hours of...work. lol.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:01 PM

Gotcha Well, that's good, actually. I wonder what the elder techs say about just changing that seal/gasket while in there, Blake? Probably, "Is it leaking? No? LEAVE IT ALONE!" lol... But maybe not, just curious.

Best wishes on a quick/easy 'knocking it out' session!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:02 PM

For me, I'd be finally doing my trans if I was doing the rear main lol.... I'm glad I don't leak a drop.... but NOT HAPPY about the 'GRRRRRRRReeeeennnnnnnnnnnnTTTT' INTO 4TH! HAHAHA.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blakefogt
The clutch is in great shape unfortunately :p but yea I figured id make a day out of it and do the oil pan gasket too... Just in case. Maybe come to work on a Saturday or somethin. I hate doing work right after 9 hours of...work. lol.
i use to go in every saturday to do something to my runner. now its getting closer to being done i can do the rest at home.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:54 PM

Knocked out my bad water pump. Aftermarket and lots of play.... Just how I love em.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:14 PM

Hey, .... think I'd forgotten... someone asked me, and I'd told them, "I THINK blakefogt has the roundeyes lights. Not sure if they have a halo, IF he indeed has em".... Maybe you could quickly straighten me out either way? Thanks

BTW, .... heading to the Angeles, hopefully, this coming Saturday for a day of chillin in the sun and maybe a lil wheeling on the backside/Big Rock, etc. Just need a day away, ya know? Going on like 4 days off total in 200 days or so... JUST NUTS! HAHAHA.

Howsit, man? You good, in general? Hope so
Old 07-10-2012, 05:13 PM

Hey, .... think I'd forgotten... someone asked me, and I'd told them, "I THINK blakefogt has the roundeyes lights. Not sure if they have a halo, IF he indeed has em".... Maybe you could quickly straighten me out either way? Thanks

BTW, .... heading to the Angeles, hopefully, this coming Saturday for a day of chillin in the sun and maybe a lil wheeling on the backside/Big Rock, etc. Just need a day away, ya know? Going on like 4 days off total in 200 days or so... JUST NUTS! HAHAHA.

Howsit, man? You good, in general? Hope so
yep! I've got 'em. Nope! no halos :p
thats exciting to just relax and wheel. alls well... just settling in.. checking out the local beaches... I like it here!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:21 PM

Wow, I bet! Nice, .... make sure you post some pics of the rig next to a sunset or something there, eh? haha.

Congratz, I'm happy for ya man!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:31 PM

PS> Do you have a Dome LED FLAT bar thing? I'm really confused about a couple things. I don't really want em in the dash, only cuz I like how the stock looks and how it's not too bright when I'm driving... But;

1. Can you dim those LED dash lights?

2. Someone we know, Maltese, put in a whole new dome carcass from www.superbrightleds.com .... Instead of just putting in the panel(cuz his lever broke, like mine).. I could either do his 20$ mod and have from what he says is REALLY nice and bright interior, with only 9 powerful LED's in that dome apparatus he bought. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...pecs%2Frdl.htm ........or just get the panel with festoon insert........ with 30LED's on it......... http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...base_specs.htm

^^^^ Maltese said he didn't find the Festoon LED version to be NEARLY as bright as the one he has now... But I figured I could JB Kwik weld the lever back on and slap one of those panels in there and it would be just as bright or brighter, right?

I know you've messed with this... sorry for repeating this question... just too tired to search back! hahaha.. Whenever you have time, obviously, Blake

PS> I am NOT opposed to doing the LED Dash lights... Sometimes I wish it were a LIL brighter and I don't have that option... But FIRST, I'd have to replace my dimmer switch... it's toast... ONLY can see the lights when on high. haha. Shouldn't be too hard to find at Pick-your-part, right? Wonder if multiple years/toyota's dimmers will work.

Did you do your brake and running and all those lights in LED too?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:48 PM

See, that's where I'm lost... KINDA< haha... 150MA pull from the 10 HIGH FLUX LED lights Dome Fixture..... 115MA pull from the 30 'HIGH POWER' LED's Panel that you put in your own Toyota Dome fixture... The Dome Kit with the 10 High flux doesn't say the Lumen it puts out... But the Panel says 155 Lumen. Does High Flux mean it's more of a wider/brighter light? I notice the dome kit he bought has a board in it with Resistors and everything... Not sure on the panel one.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:49 PM

product report... suprebrightleds.com I bought bulbs 11/08/11

i have one gauge on my A-pillar flickering. sadface.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:52 PM

ahha i have no idea, but i really like the increased brightness. what a weird coincidence that you bright up LEDs, right when one of mine fails. but yea, I think the bulb i used works great for the domelight.. but they do not dim. It sounds like that diy panel will have a bigger output... but really it comes down to what you feel like doing. at night, i never have an issue finding something due to poor lighting. hope my vague non-direct answer helps :p
Old 07-12-2012, 08:14 PM

Hahaha... that's cool, Blake... I appreciate the try. You used a Festoon LED in the dome? Or a panel?

Yeah, I've tried looking into the difference of HIGH FLUX, etc., but I think I'm just more lost than ever. Everything that comes up is "I USED THIS" or "buy NOWWWWWW~!" hahaha.... Nothing about how they are different/what has a wider range of light(ie; 120degrees, 150degrees.. etc.)... Cuz I grabbed one at the Pepboys, seemed like nice soft white/bright light... But it was like a flashlight... NOT expansive light that lights up an 'area', ya know?

The dash ones you like, too, eh? Did you post all the part numbers, etc.? I have someone I KNOW is wanting to do the dash ones...

I've got a second gen dome light I'm going to put on the rear window wiper motor cover.... I want it hot all day, ...so I'm gonna try to follow 4crawlers stuff's on that.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The dash ones you like, too, eh? Did you post all the part numbers, etc.? I have someone I KNOW is wanting to do the dash ones...
Were u talkin' about me here? Yea I really like the way it looks. Definitely gonna get those LEDs soon.

Originally Posted by blakefogt
sure!
for my set up specifically, I used superbrightleds.com

for the 194s (1 in each pod on the A pillar, 3 behind my main cluster, and 2 behind the inclinometer) I used WLED-x5

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ini-wedge.html

for the climate control

I used 74-xHP3 on the same page. It was barely too wide, so i took a file to it and it fit right in.

and for the dome light and cargo light I used

3022-xHP4

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...2Ffestoon.html
BTW how many of each size total did you buy for the dash board. I haven't counted how many of each they take. I dont have an inclinometer so would that be only the 3 for the dash board right?. But yea if u can get back to me with that info that'd be great.

Last edited by Redeth005; 07-13-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
nice truck, i really like the color! subscribed
Old 07-13-2012, 01:39 PM

Yep, .... I was asking for ya, Richard, haha. The only thing I don't like about the Dash ones is that you can't dim them.

Funny thing, Blake... I had pulled the bulb from my 2nd Gen 4Runner Dome light apparatus that I got from Pick-Your-Part....... OOOPS! hahaa... that bulb from the 2nd Gen is nearly 2x the filament and 2x diameter glass, and probably 2x brighter, haha... So I was looking up 36MM bulbs, not the 30MM ones ours have.

Curious why you didn't get the one that has 360degree light output? I know it only has 1 Flat Panel LED bulb per 90degrees, ....but curious if it would work off the reflector a lil better. Anyway, thanks, Richard, for posting that quote. For some reason, I couldn't find it in here.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:02 PM

actually chef, thats a good point. I'm not even really using the reflector at all am I? the reflector didn't even cross my mind... So I figured 180* of light made sense. hmmm...

Redeth, I don't remember how many I used... i believe its 3..... I'd swear I noted it somewhere.... definitely 1 for each A-pillar gauge, and 2 for the altimeter... I'm thinking about going green since I've got one that's failing.

I'm concerned with the quality of superbrightleds....

does anyone know a brand maybe a step up? or maybe this was just a fluke...
If/When I get green though, I'll have some whites that I wouldnt mind shipping out.

Quick Reply: blakefogt's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread