86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

93Xtra-Cab's 1993 Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I fixed the blower. After I got home, I took the glove box out and checked the fuses. They both looked fine upon visual inspection. I tested the relay to see if it clicked on, then I took it out and took it apart to see if all the wires were still connected. I then checked all electrical connections with the multi-meter for voltage and continuity. It all seemed fine, so I hooked the blower straight to the battery. It functioned as normal. So then I checked the fuses again, this time checking continuity. Everything was fine. Then my dad came out and did basically everything I just did and then pulled out the 30 amp fuse. It was blown. So I installed a 20 amp fuse since I didn't have a 30 amp at the time and the blower started working again I got a pack of 30 amp fuses yesterday to replace the 20. I'm just glad it was something as simple and cheap as a fuse. Thanks for the help with this guys!

In other news, I'm still waiting on my HID kit. It was supposed to arrive between Wednesday and Friday of last week. Hopefully it will come today. I also bought a tube brush in hopes to clean up those hazy lenses once and for all

EDIT: According to UPS tracker, it arrived in Laurel, MD at 10:33 AM. So I might get it today!

Last edited by 93Xtra-Cab; 11-25-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:19 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
That's great news buddy... I do not want to be a Debbie Downer,... But why did it blow the fuse? That's really what I would be asking myself. Most likely, if it's going to happen again, it will be in the middle of a frozen highway when you're changing a tire or something and you need that thing to work..., and then it wont ( if there is some type of short and it causes a wire to melt and then can't come on, etc.) You know what I'm saying? I at least recommend cleaning up everything inside the climate control switch and really clean up the connector to the blower motor, etcetera. Something surged, no?
Old 11-26-2013, 03:40 PM

I finally got the haze out of the driving lights. I poured warm glass cleaner and vinegar into the light housing, swished them around, and let it sit for about 15 minutes, lens down of course. Then I took a bottle brush and scrubbed the inside of the lens. After that, I rinsed it out with distilled water multiple times and set it in the oven on 300 degrees for about 10-15 minutes or until the crust becomes flaky and golden brown in color

Before any cleaning:

In this one, the right light was after the cleaning. The left one was done days before as described one of my previous posts, where I just swished some glass cleaner around and dried it out with compressed air.

And the finished product

This is the part of the post where I would have talked about and showed pictures of the HID install into the Hella 500s. However, when I went to test them, one of the bulbs didn't work at all, which I confirmed by using both ballasts. I'm glad I tested them first, before taking the grille off to do wiring or drilling the housing of the lights for the grommets. I'm just gonna return them once the seller responds back to me. Super disappointed...I'm just gonna get a set from DDM, which I should have done in the first place

However, today wasn't all bad

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
That's great news buddy... I do not want to be a Debbie Downer,... But why did it blow the fuse? That's really what I would be asking myself. Most likely, if it's going to happen again, it will be in the middle of a frozen highway when you're changing a tire or something and you need that thing to work..., and then it wont ( if there is some type of short and it causes a wire to melt and then can't come on, etc.) You know what I'm saying? I at least recommend cleaning up everything inside the climate control switch and really clean up the connector to the blower motor, etcetera. Something surged, no?
I'm not sure. When I do replace the 20, I'm gonna look at the switch and all the grounds and connections. I didn't see any corrosion or anything when I looked. I've ran the blower on high a couple times with the smaller fuse and it seems fine.

Last edited by 93Xtra-Cab; 11-27-2013 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Correcting picture error
Old 11-26-2013, 04:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is one super clean looking 3rd gen. I usually dont say alot about them, but this one is exceptional. Makes me miss my lil 91.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:29 AM

Thanks Highlux!

The seller contacted me back and said he would send me a whole new set of bulbs! Sweet! I save on shipping costs and I'll have an extra bulb in case one burns out.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:42 AM

Ok, I got my set of bulbs in the mail, but I probably won't do the swap until tomorrow or Wednesday. I have too much school work to do.

In other news, I got pulled over by the Gestapo on my way home from school today...

He cited me for just the tires, but also pointed out that my front driving lights and rear lights mounted on the toolbox need to be covered. The tires need to be covered by the fender. None of it is allowed to be sticking out. He only gave me a warning because I'm from Maryland and I don't know PA restrictions. I have 5 days to fix the problem and get it signed off by an inspection station

2.5 years of driving like this, passing multiple cops on my way to school everyday, and finally someone has an issue with it...
Old 12-02-2013, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Booo!! That sucks. Well Alaska has fender laws too. It's a must if your tires are sticking out.

Hopefully I do something quick or I'll be in the same boat as you
Old 12-02-2013, 11:06 AM

Yep, I'm still amazed. A year or so after putting on the tires, I kinda thought "if I haven't been pulled over by now, I probably never will be..."

I passed him and then looked in my rear view mirror (as I usually do when I pass a cop) and watched him turn into a road and pull a u-turn. I wasn't speeding or anything. I thought "welp, he's coming for me" and I just flipped on my turn signal and turned into some church parking lot and waited for him

This is the second time being pulled over and the second time a cop has told me how nice my truck was after giving me a warning.

EDIT: To pass the inspection thingy, I'm just gonna put my stock tires on. However, to prevent this from ever happening again, I'm thinking about getting a set of fender flares Nothing expensive, just a set of Pacer Universal flares...such as these: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...inside-218576/ And then whenever I need to get new tires, I'm gonna sell the rims and buy skinnier rims with the right backspacing and hopefully the tires won't stick out. But that all depends on the width of the tires I get.

Stupid cops...stupid PA laws...

Last edited by 93Xtra-Cab; 12-02-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab
Yep, I'm still amazed. A year or so after putting on the tires, I kinda thought "if I haven't been pulled over by now, I probably never will be..." I passed him and then looked in my rear view mirror (as I usually do when I pass a cop) and watched him turn into a road and pull a u-turn. I wasn't speeding or anything. I thought "welp, he's coming for me" and I just flipped on my turn signal and turned into some church parking lot and waited for him This is the second time being pulled over and the second time a cop has told me how nice my truck was after giving me a warning. EDIT: To pass the inspection thingy, I'm just gonna put my stock tires on. However, to prevent this from ever happening again, I'm thinking about getting a set of fender flares Nothing expensive, just a set of Pacer Universal flares...such as these: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...inside-218576/ And then whenever I need to get new tires, I'm gonna sell the rims and buy skinnier rims with the right backspacing and hopefully the tires won't stick out. But that all depends on the width of the tires I get. Stupid cops...stupid PA laws...
No Beuno.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:12 PM

^Why?
Old 12-02-2013, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab
^Why?
tire laws.....
Old 12-02-2013, 01:13 PM

Haters
Old 12-02-2013, 02:28 PM

Just bought a set of the Pacer flares. It kinda sucks because it's another $80, but I guess it's good because they might help keep my truck clean and it might keep the stupid cops off my back.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:59 PM

Gotta be kidding me! Like Richard/Redeth005 having to do S.T.A.R.-Station inspection, cuz of the %&#$'s from C.A.R.B. and the EPA trying really hard to get our rigs off the road. My buddy has a diesel, which was exempt and partly why he got it... Now they are going to smog check diesels......

I think you might have read, but at Pismo, there was a CHP officer sitting in the restaurant lot near the parks entrance... she pulled over, while I sat there 20 min, 3 trucks that didnt have mud flaps. All the businesses around there were so ticked off! That drives ppl away that keep the private sector alive!
Old 12-02-2013, 04:25 PM

Dont they have drug dealers and gang bangers with NO JOBS to mess with??!! Dang, dude tries to go out and make a livin and has a cool hobby and they give you a ticket. I also feel sorry for you guys in cali with the emissions, emissions suck. And theyre still tearin rainforests to peices, whats that do to the enviorment!!?? Everythings goin to ˟˟˟˟˟ in a handbag. Sorry had to throw that out there.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 PM

Cow farts do more than all the SUV's, and the rest, combined.... Water vapor from the volcanic action worldwide? Same thing.... It's a SCAM! Don't get me wrong, I think people should maintain their crap... Having some piece of junk that dumps coolant into the storm drains is not a cool thing! .... But almost everything they do is because they can't pay for their bloated overgrown system any other way than sticking it to the average guy in any way they can..... You should see some of the guys back east, like IRAB and Jerry/92Toy.... And all of the crap that they have to go through with inspections... It's ridiculous.

They have trucks now on the side of the freeways exits, Mobile smog stations, where they look through an infrared special lens and can tell if you are polluting as you take off from the corner and drive by them. They then have a Highway Patrol officer pull you over and do a full inspection and sniff test that takes almost an hour... Even if you just passed smog and you can show that some component just happened to fail recently, they still go after the smog station and you, pretty much assuming that you paid someone off. They can even shut those stations down during an investigation... A buddy of mine had this happen and he got in serious grief from work because it made him extremely late to a job...

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 12-02-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Dont they have drug dealers and gang bangers with NO JOBS to mess with??!! Dang, dude tries to go out and make a livin and has a cool hobby and they give you a ticket. I also feel sorry for you guys in cali with the emissions, emissions suck. And theyre still tearin rainforests to peices, whats that do to the enviorment!!?? Everythings goin to ˟˟˟˟˟ in a handbag. Sorry had to throw that out there.
Exactly, they have better things to be worrying about. I don't think they really care about the environment, they just care about the revenue. I know in Maryland when you have to have your emissions tested, you have to pay $14. I'm not too sure about California. I'm glad I got my historic tags

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Cow farts do more than all the SUV's, and the rest, combined.... Water vapor from the volcanic action worldwide? Same thing.... It's a SCAM! Don't get me wrong, I think people should maintain their crap... Having some piece of junk that dumps coolant into the storm drains is not a cool thing! .... But almost everything they do is because they can't pay for their bloated overgrown system any other way than sticking it to the average guy in any way they can..... You should see some of the guys back east, like IRAB and Jerry/92Toy.... And all of the crap that they have to go through with inspections... It's ridiculous.

They have trucks now on the side of the freeways exits, Mobile smog stations, where they look through an infrared special lens and can tell if you are polluting as you take off from the corner and drive by them. They then have a Highway Patrol officer pull you over and do a full inspection and sniff test that takes almost an hour... Even if you just passed smog and you can show that some component just happened to fail recently, they still go after the smog station and you, pretty much assuming that you paid someone off. They can even shut those stations down during an investigation... A buddy of mine had this happen and he got in serious grief from work because it made him extremely late to a job...
I don't envy you guys out in California...well, except for the terrain. That's pretty sweet. But the emissions laws and stuff is ridiculous. Again, I think it's all revenue.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:03 AM

I think the tire law here in Louisiana is it can't stick out more than 3-4" I think. Not 100% on that. But emissions laws practically don't exist of anything made before 95. I failed inspection cause of tint of all things a while back.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:35 PM

No law in ky I'm aware of.
Attached Thumbnails 93Xtra-Cab's 1993 Pickup-image-422191592.jpg  
Old 12-04-2013, 10:40 AM

I did the HID retrofit today. I didn't get many pics during the process because once I'm in "go" mode, I don't stop. But these are the few that I took

This is where I mounted the ballasts. The wiring is hid behind the bumper.

Hellas drilled out with the grommets

Super bright!

With the grill on and the wiring "cleaned up". Not really as clean as I wanted. If I were to do it again, I'd cut off the big connectors that the kit uses and use regular spade connectors so I could fit it all in the small wire loom and fit it under the grill.

Now some comparison shots:

In the garage: Before with 55w halogen bulbs

After with 55w HID

Same, but with high beams on: Before

After

In the driveway: Before

After

Same, but with regular high beams on: Before

After. Sorry for the blurry pic

You're probably wondering what the arrow in the last pic was for. That's just to show where I was standing when I took this next pic

And another pic for good measure

And because of the warning, I've decided to put my old tires back on until I get my flares. It just looks so weird I can either take it to an official PA inspection place or have a police officer sign off on it. So I went to the police station after school today, and there were no officers there to look at it. They were all on call. So I'll have to try again tomorrow

Quick Reply: 93Xtra-Cab's 1993 Pickup