86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 04:58 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
we didn't even wear seat belts.....never.

much safer now for my young guy. quick and easy mod.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
we didn't even wear seat belts.....never.

much safer now for my young guy. quick and easy mod.
my dad was big on seat belts. it worked because i wear mine on city streets with no problems. wont let my passengers not wear one as well
Old 07-28-2012, 05:37 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
my dad was big on seat belts. it worked because i wear mine on city streets with no problems. wont let my passengers not wear one as well
I WONT EITHER! And it's funny, Toyo; My dad was a NAZI bout wearing the belt... But HE WOULD NEVER WEAR IT! Now, when I go out to Havasu, AZ to see him, He wants to roll around in my rig.... LOVES the old Truck! .... And as we take off, I tell him, "DAD, ... put it on!" ... He gets SO TICKED! hahaha, "This is AZ, not Commifornia, we don't worry bout that here!" hahahaha... WHAT A FIBBER! haha.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking good yall a lock box is a great idea even if he never plans on taking the top off
Old 08-01-2012, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I caught 92s first year and wished I had missed it 2nd year. Cant believe Joes is already a year old. Im sure all the smashed fingers and cuts are gone, but you guys have some great memories of your builds. I enjoyed following them.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I caught 92s first year and wished I had missed it 2nd year. Cant believe Joes is already a year old. Im sure all the smashed fingers and cuts are gone, but you guys have some great memories of your builds. I enjoyed following them.

ahahaha...it's all good. hopefully we get at least 10 more years out of our trucks.

funny you should mention about the injuries....was back in about May of last year I injured my middle finger on my right hand when I was trying to remove his crankshaft pulley and we bother heard a large CRACK which was not anything on his motor breaking but rather was my finger getting dislocated mid-finger. I apparently (my professional opinion, cuz, ya know, I know some medical stuff) partially tore a tendon in the finger, which has never quite returned to full function in that I cannot make a strong fist with my right hand (flexor tendon), I have no problem extending the finger for all to see.....teehee.

so anyhoo, thanks...we are doing fine...Joe goes for his driving test on the 9th. he has come a long way with driving and has almost exclusively been driving his 4runner for the last long while. he has grown into a fine young man in that he is very involved with the Fire Dept and attending training for the last 6 months 1 or 2 nights a week so that he has all the essentials.

as far as a lock box goes.....love the ammo box, that might be really high on the list of the mods that we have done that look good and serve a great purpose...along with the rear belts.

would love to put a bikini top on it, but funding prohibits it. also living in Florida where it rains every day in the afternoon with punishing violent storms (oh...wait, we live in Pennsylvania), it would be a PITA to wrap it with a tarp (which we already have stowed away in his storage) until the
storms pass.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:33 PM

hiya.

Joe passed his test.

He is now a licensed driver.

when I let him.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:46 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
thanks for the warning. i'll be sure to stay out of your county
Old 08-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

A big Congratulations Joe. I am jealous of you Jerry. Now you got someone to go on the milk and bread runs. Congrats again guys.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
CONGRATZ, JOE!

WOW, ...man, every time I hear that, I flashback to that day.... PROBABLY ONE OF THE HIGHEST NATURAL HIGHS OF MY LIFE! I felt, well... almost as powerful as when I held my 357 for the first time.... But trust me, the rig had WAY more LASTING rewards.. And it gets to come with you through Highschool to Graduation parties... Dates and camping with homies from now through college.... ETC.! THESE GROW ON YOU, sure... but that feeling? YEP, IT'S A KEEPER~! hahaha.

Of course... my behavior took a MAJOR dive for a while after I got it... but that was just due to good parents that at the time just had NO SPARE time! haha....

CONGRATULATIONS, AGAIN, JOE!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by irab88
thanks for the warning. i'll be sure to stay out of your county
har har har.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
A big Congratulations Joe. I am jealous of you Jerry. Now you got someone to go on the milk and bread runs. Congrats again guys.

yes indeed. he will be doing the milk runs for a while, and I'm sure he will love it.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
CONGRATZ, JOE!

WOW, ...man, every time I hear that, I flashback to that day.... PROBABLY ONE OF THE HIGHEST NATURAL HIGHS OF MY LIFE! I felt, well... almost as powerful as when I held my 357 for the first time.... But trust me, the rig had WAY more LASTING rewards.. And it gets to come with you through Highschool to Graduation parties... Dates and camping with homies from now through college.... ETC.! THESE GROW ON YOU, sure... but that feeling? YEP, IT'S A KEEPER~! hahaha.

Of course... my behavior took a MAJOR dive for a while after I got it... but that was just due to good parents that at the time just had NO SPARE time! haha....

CONGRATULATIONS, AGAIN, JOE!
we were on our way home from the test and I told him that I gave him a rough time the whole while because I had to. Also, he keenly understands the money aspect and lack thereof.....so, he understands all the effort that was put into his 4runner and respects the fact that if there is an issue with his truck due to him, it gets parked. he knows he has to earn everything, no gifting, and therefor will appreciate those things so much more.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:42 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
har har har.

i got told that a bunch of times, now it's my turn. and now, joe can say it to other new drivers once he's older

seriously though, am i ever gonna see you guys at rausch?
Old 08-10-2012, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by irab88

i got told that a bunch of times, now it's my turn. and now, joe can say it to other new drivers once he's older

seriously though, am i ever gonna see you guys at rausch?
would love to..

but...working every other weekend and having my wife work opposite that means 50/50 chance of being off for those trips, and the idea of damaging Joe's 4runner on one of those trips or jamming 3 of us in my truck just is not very enticing when considering my little guy would be stuck in the middle all day.

happy having Joe's runner be a mall crawler for now....waiting patiently for my wife's 4runner (2006) to be paid off and then making it into a monster when it becomes mine and she gets something new...it already has slightly oversized tires that we put on when she needed new ones.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:45 AM

how in the world do we change (or even access) the bulbs inside the map light thang.

I've searched....FSM,Hayne's, Chilton's..

I don't want to pry and snap something.

swiped this pic, but it' just like this one.

EDIT:...nevermind. figured it out. broke my neck doing it...but.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 08-22-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:35 AM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Aren't you going to "enlighten" the rest of us? I have a junk maplight waiting in the parts pile. Mine needs to be disaasembled and painted. Not a huge priority but how do you get to the bulbs? And what would be a suitable LED bulb for them?

So this is the summer your Joe got his licesne. Have you even seen him in the past few days? I guess the price of gas would keep this generation of new drivers closer to home though. My son Joe gets his learner's next June.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:42 PM

ahhh....gotta put your head against the windshield and look from the backside f the housing. you will see 2 very small barely visible ares to stick a butter knife or small screwdriver and pop it off.

the bulbs are a A12V8W.......apparently elusive as I have found in searching the internetz....and have found many threads (only 2 on here) that curse this bub and inability to find it. the guy at AUTO-ZONE was able to tell me from a distance of about 15 feet "we don't have that" and "we get people bringing little bulbs in like that and I can tell ya we don't have it".

went to another store (A&A Auto Parts if someone is local) and bought ones that fit....but certainly are NOT as bright.

I want to find an LED equivalent....so far I saw mention of a "BA9" base....have to research more, but was doing all the research prior to us having to leave the house and we just got back.

as far as driving goes....he's doing well....no joy-riding. we live far away from everything, so any time someone leaves the house, there better be a good reason...and yes, the price of gas is prohibitive. however, as I had said before,( but I really don't expect everyone to remember everything I write) Joe and I are volunteer firefighters (him a "junior" and me an EMT / RESCUE / FIREFIGHTER for real) and I was at work (ER) and an MVA victim was brought in and the medics were all proud to be telling me my son was there helping. so, yep, he's doing me proud.

good luck with your driving lessons....it is certainly one of those milestones in life. One that I am still trying to absorb and adjust to.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much are the Light Bulbs to go to the LED?
Old 08-22-2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by WJWoody
How much are the Light Bulbs to go to the LED?

looks like $1.98 to 2.98ea (plus whatever shipping is)....BUT, I just paid $3 for 2 bulbs at the store....so..unless shipping is stupid expensive, it's a push.

here's as far as I got with that research. I have NO CLUE if this is right or not, but I will check it out.

go to the BA9 section

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...led.htm#photos

Last edited by 92 TOY; 08-22-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:05 PM

massive problem!

had a spontaneous moment and the boys and I were going to go hiking. we were only about a mile or so from home and could smell gas....like pure gas. thought maybe it was from a motorcycle that just passed us but then we pulled over. gas was streaming down the passenger's side mud-flap and all inside the wheel-well.

unable to truly tell what was leaking and just to be totally safe, we just let it be and disconnected the battery and sat there. being in the middle of nowhere with only 1 house nearby (but it's someone I know and he has a rollback) but they were not home. so Joe started walking home to get my truck to tow us home (tow truck is over an hour away otherwise).

nice stranger driving past, stopped and offered to give Joe a ride home (about 2 1/2 miles)....turns out Joe knew him anyway and Joe got my truck and brough it down and we towed the 4runner home with my truck. no easy feat considering there is about a 1/2 mile hill to climb.

anyways....on with the pics.

turns out my heat shield wrap job lasted only THIS long.

the shielding is melted through, as is the fuel line contained in it. I thought I had secured it away well enough from the header but I guess I was wrong.

now it's time to figure out what this part is called, get it and figure out how to replace it.

this could have been an absolute disaster but has only turned into an aggravating inconvenience. it could have been a total loss...or worse.

cue the DELIVERANCE banjos

can't believe my truck was able to do this.....

THIS is the line

this is a failed attempt at getting a pic of the hole in the line and NO...I did NOT allow it to be touching the header when we reassembled everything.....but apparently that's exactly what happened.

and this would be what is left of the heat shielding

Old 08-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Sorry to hear about the fuel leak, but you having done the rebuild, bet you were on it and found the problem in just a few minutes. Great job on that.

Our corn is burnt up, those are some great pics. I was going to post some of your pics when you first got the runner, pics werent showing. Doesnt look like the same runner, looks better then that one, other then the hood being up.

Boneyard would be the only place I know for the fuel line, before trying Toyota.

Quick Reply: 8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread