86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:59 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
the tape is folded on itself......so there.

thanks guys......
Old 07-24-2010, 11:42 AM

then this happened

not really as hard as it seemed it would be...........i read through that other thread, not really sure how propping it up could help me.....seems that you are doing 96% of the PITA job anyway, just get it the rest out of the way.

have to study the fuel rail configuration here and how to remove them.....really want to get the injectors serviced.

wire harness that crests from passenger's side to driver's side is in the way, of course. have to see what that's all about.

more pis....again, mostly for my reference , but if they are good for someone else, then HOOORAY!

YUP....looks like a something had made a nest in there when the guy had it parked.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 07-24-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
HAHAHAHA, you had a "Yota-Rat" livin in your engine! lol. PRAY it didn't eat any wires, eh? Doesn't seem to have, ... looking good, Jerry!
Old 07-24-2010, 11:46 AM

OH, I see you're a connoisseur of "Mc CAFE", eh? lol. Hmmm, me thinks Jerry likes the Sugga! lol.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
OH, I see you're a connoisseur of "Mc CAFE", eh? lol. Hmmm, me thinks Jerry likes the Sugga! lol.

that's the wife....those cups make excellent parts cleaner thingys though.

no visible damage....thank goodness.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:13 PM

The wife, ..got it. BTW, she going on some off roading trips with you some time? I remember Lumpy's lady being there, ...just couldn't remember if your lady went. Just Joe, right?

Anyway, YESSSSSS, thank GOODNESS no chewing marks on the harness. I've heard that's REALLY common when they burrow up in there. FHEWWWWW! lol.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:35 PM

NO WAY....she won't go.....not her cup of tea.

seeing alot more intricate stuff in there than i remember being mentioned in write-ups....IE: the wire harnesses (3) that run on top of each valve cover and the one that goes across the front.....looks like to move them i have to unplug from the injectors....since i wanted to get them serviced anyway, it's not wasted time.....just kinda prohibitive if i just wanted to change cover gaskets....i'm sure there's a way around it.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:38 PM

re-reading this thread.....looks like his are in the way but still intact.....maybe it's not as bad as i thought.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/v...tml#post546822
Old 07-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
92, 8t8, Glad to see you working on another project. Looks like you lucked out on your compression test. We need more father and son projects. Mines still too young. I need to finish mine and then the wife truck, and then I plan on a first gen 4runner. Thats a nice truck. You did a great job on the improved rebuild thread. I remember when you first started and now running test, to troubleshooting, you have come along way. Maybe this 4runner has just enough work needed that your son will feel more attached to it and the memories that come with. I remember working with my dad, you are doing more than just getting an engine running. Looking forward to this thread. Keep us posted.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:01 PM

X2^^^ and YES< please do keep us posted! Appreciate you doing that so often, thus far.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
92, 8t8, Glad to see you working on another project. Looks like you lucked out on your compression test. We need more father and son projects. Mines still too young. I need to finish mine and then the wife truck, and then I plan on a first gen 4runner. Thats a nice truck. You did a great job on the improved rebuild thread. I remember when you first started and now running test, to troubleshooting, you have come along way. Maybe this 4runner has just enough work needed that your son will feel more attached to it and the memories that come with. I remember working with my dad, you are doing more than just getting an engine running. Looking forward to this thread. Keep us posted.

wow. nice bro.

while Joe knows it may not be "fun" as we are doing it, he knows it will get done. i don't quit....sometimes i stop and regroup, but one thing i profess is that you don't quit.

kinda wished i repeated the compression test on the passenger's side like i said i was going to.....dang!....A.D.D versus O.C.D again...i truly am my own worst enemy sometimes.

my little guy (age 8) is keeping his eyes open on the lookout for his very own YOTA to buy.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
X2^^^ and YES< please do keep us posted! Appreciate you doing that so often, thus far.

so i guess i'm kinda official.....was in the pool, came out, started the grill and then started messing with the 4runner....still dripping wet.

got the "yota-rat" habitat cleaned out......on removing a retaining bolt from driver's and passenger's sides of the large wire harness, i was able to get enough movement out if it to accomodate my big shop-vac to get the manifold cleaned up.

the little boxes (3vze guys will know what i mean) that hold the wires in place around the valve covers are slightly movable too....in fact the passenger's side is mostly disintegrated as well, so going to have to get some sort of wrap or conduit.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:09 PM

i guess this was a squirrel's nest, or a big mouse.....or family of mice.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:59 PM

HAHHAHAHAHAH! Danggg, those things were taking up HOME there, FOR SURE! That's GREAT they didn't tear into the wires for some of their home building. Guess they weren't lazy, just resourceful, eh? lol.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:29 AM

so this morning Joe took out his Cold Start Injector.....i told him we will see what that looks like and then base our decision to pull the injectors (or not) based on that.

Looks like we will be pulling the injectors.

and then just a few more pics for my own reference.

and i guess i should consider myself luck because we did not break any of these....because i've seen that posted many many times

Old 07-26-2010, 07:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Damn guys I go on vaca for a week and you have it all tore up!!! good going!!!

As for compression I think your alright just take care of the leaking covers and maybe replace the rad. That could be leaking and why the P/O carried a jug with him.

When you do the plugs be sure to do the cap/rotor/wires as well. Get the good wires I made the mistake of getting the not so good ones on the pickup and every time I pull a wire I end up having to fix it...Not fun (that's why I haven't timed it yet).
Old 07-26-2010, 04:33 PM

hey...look who is back home....seems like you've been on vay-k for like a month.

radiator is new
new hoses
new radiator cap
new dist cap
new fuel filter

on the fence right now if i want to pull the injectors......for a few bucks i could button it up with new valve cover gaskets........but for about $200 more we could get the injectors done.......that part s hard to swallow, considering it was running well
Old 07-26-2010, 04:54 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
Good work fellas. Finally got a chance to get all caught up on this one.

Umm, its not like you don't have the time to get it done right. You can wait for a bit of oh tee to pay for the injector service. That cold start injector looked gnarly.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
hey...look who is back home....seems like you've been on vay-k for like a month.

radiator is new
new hoses
new radiator cap
new dist cap
new fuel filter

on the fence right now if i want to pull the injectors......for a few bucks i could button it up with new valve cover gaskets........but for about $200 more we could get the injectors done.......that part s hard to swallow, considering it was running well
Jerry, .... it's obviously your call, Sir... But personally? .. I would have em cleaned up. there's a guy who came highly recommended that did them for 14 a Piece! Since you're already in there, .....I meannnnn, lol.

Mine ran fine as well, but they were off by like 25% and 2 were leaking fairly badly.... I would think you'd make up for that in loss in about a years time, just wasting fuel, no? Or, one will just finally clog completely shut, ...and you'd be 'whippin yer own rump!', lol.

Just a thought.... If you need that site I can hunt it down for ya. Can't remember off the top of my head. I think he's in AZ, but can't remember for sure.

Great work, Jerry! Joe too!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:56 PM

witchunter did us well.....from the day i mailed them until i got them back was 4 days.....so tat's pretty damn good service.....was $105 for 4 injectors and cold start injector so it would be $105 plus 2 more injectors......yeah Chef....i would definitely be kicking my own tail.

thanks Jason.......it's going pretty well actually

Quick Reply: 8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread