86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 04:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had to do the same with mine, but used my wife's sewing needle while she was out and about shopping..... I blew some compressed air through the hoses as well just to make sure everything was cleared out. I like the radio set up and shifter boot work....looks nice. This thread's been a ton of help with my HG / timing belt questions... a nice way for me to take notes so I don't screw things up..... Thanks again and keep up the good work... I hope to be able to do stuff like this with my kids...
Old 05-08-2012, 04:18 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
thanks for the compliments.

wish it was always fun and rewarding....in the end it is, but it's more like annoying and complicated while we are doing this stuff.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yeah, but I'm sure these are the things you'll both be able to look back on and laugh...... a learning experience for the both of you and good stories for later...
Old 05-08-2012, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by AW1090
yeah, but I'm sure these are the things you'll both be able to look back on and laugh...... a learning experience for the both of you and good stories for later...
certainly I look at my motor and and my son's 4runner and marvel that we did it for ourselves. had lots of help right here, technical and otherwise...as well as XXXTREME22R has lots of experience and helped us in person.

as with anything, it is very gratifying to look back and see a job well done.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
I'm applying for a patent on those "tools". $25 each. 50% deescount for YT members. free shipping.
HAHAHAHA.... that whole interaction with you and Wabbit made me laugh, lol. I used a PICK SET I got on clearance at Kragen(Powerbuilt).. before they went O'rielly's 100% and dropped Moog, etc., etc., etc. ..... That pick set has saved me on so many occasions... even yoinking the #2 injector connector to do noid tests.. LOVE MY PICKS! lol.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
certainly I look at my motor and and my son's 4runner and marvel that we did it for ourselves. had lots of help right here, technical and otherwise...as well as XXXTREME22R has lots of experience and helped us in person.

as with anything, it is very gratifying to look back and see a job well done.
I am impatiently waiting for you to start another build for your other son. Just kidding, I did enjoy following along on both of your builds. Be some good memories for you guys on down the road sometime. Even though payments in some ways can be easier or harder, your own blood, sweat, and tears into it make it so much more rewarding. Great job and glad to see you are still alive out there.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:13 AM

tanx man.

gonna run it today since it's not raining (unlike yesterday when it poured all day). headed down to run with the medics to get some more pre-hopsital experience. haven't run pre-hosp in years. this is all in preparation for the next phase / scheme, in my life. for years, I have had a standing offer to fly Air-Medical, just have several hoops to jump through before that can happen. Although I "like" my job I have been doing for the last 18 years, I have stagnated professionally because I really and truly don't want to be part of the "management team" ever again. I like being a worker bee.....and when you are a worker bee, you get to go home and forget about work until your next shift......I did the married-to-the-pager / cover-the-open-shifts thing a year ago and it took a HUGE personal toll on me and my family.

as far as a next project goes.......well....kinda truly tapped out money-wise. but, assuming, presuming and hoping that it all works out eventually equates to me taking possession of the wife's 2006 4runner and making it my own when it is paid off (it's not, because it was a lease that we ended up buying). her 4runner has been the very quiet workhorse for the last 6 years. over 100k miles a long while ago ( I think it has like 115k now), it has been a reliable vehicle all these years. so, we really don't have to look anywhere but our own driveway for the next project. however, if we do trip across a 2wd U-Haul type TOYOTA in decent shape, I would likely sell a kidney to get it.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 05-09-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:04 AM

What's the toy-uhaul for?

And, CONGRATZ on the progress toward career alteration! I can TOTALLY relate to being overwhelmed/having things take a toll on family/life and health! KILL IT, .... oops, probably not best for you.... "GET'R'DONE!", ...there, how's that? hehe
Old 05-09-2012, 10:21 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Yo, Don't forget Boondockers Mud Bog Saturday !!!!
Old 05-09-2012, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
What's the toy-uhaul for?

And, CONGRATZ on the progress toward career alteration! I can TOTALLY relate to being overwhelmed/having things take a toll on family/life and health! KILL IT, .... oops, probably not best for you.... "GET'R'DONE!", ...there, how's that? hehe
cuz I like the duallies.....I think that would be a very good project to restore one of those...minus the box.

thanks for the encouragement. Medic unit averages 14 to 16 calls per day.....this is my second day there. total calls in those 2 shifts....ZERO. they call me "white cloud" instead of the usual BLACK cloud or shat magnet I am at work. got to sit around and yap ....watch TV...weaponology, the price is right, and then DIE HARD 2. gonna do it again next week too. can't imagine that could possibly happen 3 shifts in a row. my personal requirement is gonna be somewhere between 35 and 40 calls.....at this rate, will take a forever minus 1 day.

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Yo, Don't forget Boondockers Mud Bog Saturday !!!!
I know...Joe and I will likely come down.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I remember the pager days, if you had nothing planned no calls, but make one little plan and it will get ruined all day long. Forget management too, that is just a a baby sitter for grown ups anymore. Kids arent a bad as some adults.

2 wheel drives are alot easier to work on. Better mileage too. I can pull 30 mpgs with the flatbed. My brother has gotten 32 mpg with his 92 two wheel drive. The 3rd gen trucks (89-95) ride alot better and better built in my opinion, but I still like my 2nd gen.

Enjoy the Boondockers.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:35 PM

Thanks!!!!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck with the new job, do be worried about the number of runs, where I come from we say " Are day begins when yours ends".......
Old 05-10-2012, 02:47 AM

the new JOB, if I can call it that, would only be supplemental income....at this point. PHRN is the actual title (pre-hospital RN). quite a few personal and professional hurdles to clear 1st though. currently, all I have to do is take the National Registry EMT exam and then I could be called that...the other work to be done is to get "medical command" which basically means you have a "command" physician sign off on you to attest that you know a zillion pre-hospital protocols inside out and upside down.....the smarts part I can do, as this was my previous life...Fire-Rescue-Ambulance-Medic Unit...but I really backed off of it when Joe was born. pre-hospital and ER are absolutely identical and completely different at the same time......mostly it's a somewhat controlled setting I exist in now.

enough about me....

getting ready to power down last night about 940pm and a cal for a structure fire came in and it was right up the road from me about a mile or less away (or 8 houses away), so Joe and I went to that....he got his 1st real taste of it....got home after 11....his butt is gonna be dragging today.

his back window is aggravating me though. it works 100% of the time for grocery shopping and blah-blah-blah.....but so far about a handful of times it has been unresponsive when we needed it to be. have to read the owner's manual and see if there is something I am doing wrong. I'd like to bypass everything and make it work when I want it to work...screw the lock and and the bolt safes.

and RED LED inside would be nice too....some hidden strobes outside....and a pony...
Old 05-10-2012, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

On your back window, sounds like your switch just needs a good cleaning. You have to take the bulb (Gray piece) out first and getting it to seperate, more then likely it will crack but not problem if you dont crack it to bad. I have it listed in both of my builds but will need to look where it is at on the 86. The info is listed on the first page of the 88 build and somewhere on the 86.

To eliminate all of the safety switches, run a ground wire to the front tab of your center console in front of the shifter to the wire in the plug as shown. That is the only place to get a good ground. The ground wire makes life so much easier. Have done it on both of mine and no regrets.

Cant help on the LED. Dont have one.

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-10-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:36 AM

OK, .... I might want more on this grounding thing, Terry...... comin over now! hahahaha. JK, ... I'll hit you up. BUT, ... NOT EVEN wanting mine always hot, ..... because in LA, the guy who's breaking in WANTS in the back...and if he by random chance hits that switch.... oh boy, there goes my tools/hi-lift, etc., etc..... YES< Jerry, ....even my pony hahaha.

Far as the 'window not working'...... Behind the driver seat/driver side-back seat panel, RIGHT behind the pillar/door jam..... When the window isn't working?>>> RAP THAT GOOD, right on the paneling(open palm, enough to where if on the face it would make Joe say, "OUCH, Dad!", LOL.... Suddenly, ...the window will roll down. There is a relay or something in there(forgot, I'll find the thread).... When mine wont roll down... I just go to the front seat, put in the key, rap on that panel toward the top/middle.... Push the 'WINDOW SWITCH' that terry was talking about? VOILA!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:05 AM

when it doesn't work...I can hear a click in that box that Mark is talking about.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM

when it doesn't work...I can hear a click in that box that Mark is talking about.
.... TRUST ME, that 'box'/relay/whatever it is(difficult to pull that panel, so I've abstained for now)... it is, in 3 rigs for me, the primary cause for back window anger! hehehe. RAP ON IT! Just try it, next time, k? And keep rapping if it doesn't work the first time. Have the boy push the button while you rap on that.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
.... TRUST ME, that 'box'/relay/whatever it is(difficult to pull that panel, so I've abstained for now)... it is, in 3 rigs for me, the primary cause for back window anger! hehehe. RAP ON IT! Just try it, next time, k? And keep rapping if it doesn't work the first time. Have the boy push the button while you rap on that.

will do. sometimes Jedi mind tricks work to. because it seems like the only time it doesn't work is when you need it in a jam.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:52 AM

Jedi, got it, I do! lol.

YEP, seems that way... I've been camping and couldn't get it down/up, eaten alive by skeeters, etc... ALL before I knew about the 'BAM' trick! lol. And since it doesn't work at those time with either the key or the switch... it's gotta be that relay. BTW, sometimes, when you slam the door, it's jarring enough to it that it then works... so don't be mislead by that, ok Skywalker? hehe

Quick Reply: 8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread