86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 05:31 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
hey all.

apologies for not being here much any more. can't really anticipate catching up on everyone's threads any time soon. work blows, life is pretty busy and time escapes me lately.

Joe's 4runner is my daily ride and has been for a while. running quite well, no oil or water leaks, nothing out of sorts at all really.

still chasing my tail trying to seal up those 2 exhaust leaks. crappy design...gonna probably give in an at least get it tac-welded if not completely welded. costs money, so I will probably just keep fiddling with it myself for a while.

my truck is back up to snuff and ready to be inspected....when I get the time and money. really hate driving Joe's every day risking an accident or otherwise. also, the garage I go to, took on about 10 feet of water and is out of commission as far as I know. the garage closer to me is probably going to do the inspection...but he is more "thorough" than the other if you get what I mean.

hope everyone is doing well.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:33 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
OH YEAH, do I know what you mean, on "the NEW smog guy" thing! lol.

Thanks for catching us up, Jerry! I hope Joe and the rest of the Fam are well.... tell him I said "HEY!!!" lol.

I know your concern about the 'accident' portion, too.... most of em happen within a half mile or home, yadda yadda, etc., whatever.............. you're careful, right? S'all you can do, man! I'm just grateful you have that thing to roll for now, ya know? Wouldn't be so if not for all your guys sweet work!

Enjoy it while you can..... soon, the boy will have it and you'll NEVER SEE HIM .... eh chem.... Sorry, I mean, "you'll DRIVE IT less"! hahaha.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:48 PM

ahahaha....yeh...just got home form work. the deer around here are nuts...that's the main thing that makes me nervous
Old 09-21-2011, 06:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Ummm Hi guys!!! I'm still alive!!!

Glad all is going well for ya Jerry, well as best as can be expected now adays. I'll try to be around a lil more...
Old 09-22-2011, 01:58 AM

tanx and OK...
Old 09-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I was guessing Irene kept you busy. I hear you on the deer situation, we have them thick around here, always worried about that. Planning on sticking a few in the freezer.

Glad to hear you getting to drive both the trucks. That still has got to be a great feeling.
Glad to hear you made out on the storm alright.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:27 AM

Thanks Terry. as usual money is non-existent. so not even considering any mods or upgrades to any of the vehicles....just trying to keep gas in them for now to make it to and from work.my truck still needs to be inspected and put back on the insurance before I can officially put it back on the road.

as far as the storms....yep, WE made it unscathed, except for some damage to the house which I mostly fixed. still have some missing pieces of roof shingles on the garage that I will need to match and install, but that's really of no consequence. can't even see it. had some soffit blow off which I was able to put back on without falling to my death. as far as town goes....VERY DEPRESSING. coming home at night, it's totally dark except for the street lights....the only traffic light in town does not work and has been replaced by temporary stop signs. living several miles out of town was always an inconvenience to get to the little grocery store, or gas or CVS or SUBWAY or whatever, but now those are all knocked out of commission, with an unknown return date, if at all. even driving through town smells bad as the musty mud and Lord knows whatever smells, still lingers.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Jerry, I just thought I would check in. Been following along since 92's build in 8/8/2009 and then 8T8, guess I am going thru withdrawals.lol How time flies. Doesnt seem possible. Hopefully the town is drying out for you guys.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello Jerry, I just thought I would check in. Been following along since 92's build in 8/8/2009 and then 8T8, guess I am going thru withdrawals.lol How time flies. Doesnt seem possible. Hopefully the town is drying out for you guys.

hey man.

yeh...us too.

Joe's 4runner has been doing well....has been my DD all this while. Hoping to get my truck inspected this week or next week depending on what the paychecks look like. it's sitting there in my driveway. looking mighty fine...just can't use it....grrrrr.

only projects on the horizon are relatively minor ones....Joes: find out why dash lights don't work, gas gauge only works when it has a full tank, reroute the climate control cables, ZUK mod, stereo.

mine is....well..nothing really.

town still looks like hell. very humbling to drive through and see peoples stuff laying on the curb in huge mounds. many are still on the removal phase let alone the recovery phase.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

On the dash lights, I have run into where someone put in an aftermarket stereo, and didnt use a conversion plug and just cut the wires and wired the stereo into factory wiring. I have run into this twice in past cars. Both times they had grounded the wrong wire or just had it wired wrong. If it was this scenario, I would check the stereo wires first.

On the Zuk mod, I have seen some jeep coils that will work and just recently met a YTer that used some kind of car spring, I can get in touch with him if you are interested. I did the Black Magic springs and really made a great difference, but I dont like the rake or the front to rear slant on it. It has settled some, but not to my liking. May eventually lift the front end, but I really dont want to go higher.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:26 AM

thanks man
Old 09-27-2011, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Jerry glad to hear all is good as can be, understand the life thing for sure. Look forward to you being more active when you get the chance.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:54 PM

Hey Man,.... you know you guys ROCK, right?!?!?!?!?!?!? hehehe... Say hi to the Lil-Jerry's, k? lol.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:02 PM

tanks everybody. took Joe's 4runner for a nice run today. kinda trying a different shift style for me to see if i get better mpg's.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:03 AM

nothing new. running fine. have to check the mileage on it to see how many miles so far since the build. somewhere around 2k so far.

minor issues of annoyance have persisted. haven't seen it idle below 1k in a long while....seems to want to sit at about 1100rpms and sometimes get's "stuck" right at 1500rpms , but with a quick rev i can get it back down. not sure what that means. not messing with anything at all until I get my truck inspected and back in service.

exhaust is annoying. no matter how much I tighten it, can't get it to seal completely...ever. get a vibration from the pipe touching the crossmember sometimes. and this is as a result of the passenger's side downpipe not staying put and dropping down about 1/2''. until I get that connection right, I am going to have movement and subsequent vibration downstream of it.

engine runs good, runs strong. had to add water .....that gave me a sinking feeling....BUT...it is only water I am running now. never even put the thermostat in.....so I know that is going to impact the MPG's and RPM's and so forth. and I also know that water can evaporate and vaporize so I am not in a panic yet. radiator cap has a nice suction sound to it....and it's new and the radiator is new and so are the hoses. we did have a small leak at the firewall, which , through the addition of a second clamp, seems to have sealed that up.....I have no leaks and no evidence of any.....but again, it's water, and it's a clean engine bay, so I am not expecting to see any trace. no smoke from the tailpipe or steam. so I am not concerned at this point about HG failure, although it is in my brain.

still does not ride as well as I wish it did. gonna need someone to look at the front suspension and tell me what's needed. I can say for sure that the stabilizer bar is NOT connected on the driver's side as he connector that goes through the lower arm is disintegrated and will need replacement. I also think this thing needs an alignment.

BUT....if I had the money, I would have had my truck inspected a month ago and so on and so forth.

so.....I sit on eggshells, with no plan B, no spare vehicle and no money to change that real soon. 4 vehicles....2 are useable.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:21 AM

Since I restored my IFS,.... INCREDIBLY better ride! I have part numbers! lol. Take care, say hi to the young'ns!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:46 AM

thanks Mark.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Glad to hear about getting 2k miles. Still satisfying knowing it was you guys that made it happen even after two thousand.

On your throttle issue, could it be the assembly where the cable ends and the linkage begins? Happened to me one time.

Those inspections are working their way here slowly but surely. I have dealt with it when living in different states. Sure dont miss them.

Looking forward to seeing you getting the 92 on the road again.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:23 PM

thanks man...yeh, me too. work is killing me right now, leave at 620am , home about 810pm ....doing this 5 or 6 days a week and no end in sight.

cant and won't dig into anything on Joe's until mine is back on the road.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey jerry just checking in I understand the no money or time thing hope things slow down for ya soon running wide open like that relly takes a toll on a guy.

Quick Reply: 8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread