86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
OOOh... yeah, that's a sticky one. Well, .... what about those carbon/fiber type ring/seals that you can clamp over those connections? Sorry if I missed that being tried.... YOu know what I"m talking about? They're like the same material that's in the fabric coated collector gaskets.... metal mesh stuff, etc., .. maybe they make one you can slip over that and use some high temp/high strength clamps that are made to go over that stuff?
Old 08-16-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
Mark the Doug Thorley are all slip-joints...we have 2 leaks of 7 connections....I've seen where people give up and weld it....thus, voiding the warranty.
i got mine used and the po welded flanges at each of the slip joints making them all bolt on with a gasket for that shaped flanged. wonder if you could do this and have it still be under warranty?
Old 08-16-2011, 05:07 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
not sure...not a big issue right now...there is a bit of a noticeable tick.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:34 PM

took it for a nice ride today (advance auto,pep boys,sam's,sears) to get some necessities...and a wrench. ran fine. no issues.

still wondering about this gearing. running just shy of 2500rpms at 55mph. that seems real high to me. how about some input anybody.

i think i've said it once or twice....feels like it wants a 6th gear. i bet it would pull 33's no prob and what it would lose in additional tire weight would be offset by lower rpm's at highway speed. i assume.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 08-16-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if its a 5 speed. rpm are gonna be set to a certain speed.
say 4.10 diff. 5th gear at 2500. the speed will always be 55mph (gps) not speedo due to larger or smaller size tires.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:50 PM

aaand.....you lost me.

this is my newbie showing through.

so is that a normal rpm reading??? 2500rpm at 55mph??
Old 08-16-2011, 06:20 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Sounds about right. Can't be sure. But it's got 4.56's already which were meant for the 31's. I just don't know the final ratio of the v6 trans to say for sure. All 3 of our trucks are gonna turn a little different when compared with each other. Don't know much about that newer 4rnr you got to include that.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
On your gas guage, I might suggest before you fill the tank, to pull the gas tank cover from under the rear passenger seat and see if you can operate the float by hand. Also it would tell you if the float is operating freely. I would suspect the float over the guage.

I have fixed 2 floats as the pivot point on the assembly was really rusted up. I PB Blasted the assembly and then took a wire brush, very gently, to the pivot area and got them working really smooth.

The bad things about these tanks is some of the screws tend to rust to the tank and the metal lines on the fuel pump assembly can get awful weak, so you be gentle or you could break a line and have to replace the fuel pump assembly.

If you go this route, and the test proves the float is bad, the tank has to come out to change/clean the float assembly. If any questions come up,feel free to ask, I can help in this area.

Also, wanted to suggest, I might would go by the mileage till the weather turns colder. I
dont mess with fuel tanks while it is warm enough to have gas fumes. Working on a tank and fumes gets my full respect. Fumes are more dangerous then the gas as far as spark wise, and wont be in the air as much.

As far as the dash lights, might just need to reseat the connectors in the back by taking out and reinstalling in the cluster assembly. One little trick to that is crawl under the truck and get some slack from the speedometer cable and makes it a lot easier to access the cable behind the cluster assembly.

That would be a good time to change bulbs and even color if you wanted to. One guy told me he dipped the tip of his bulb into a capful of a thin coat of paint for different colors, althought I have never tried it.

I dont know if the recall covers the drag link on these years of trucks as far as the front end. Have a Toyota dealer to run your VIN and might get a free fix and alighnment. Another way to possibly to see about your front end, try swapping front tires from your truck and see if any changes.

Exhaust..Grrr...thats a hit or miss with me. Currently dealing with that.

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-17-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Sounds about right. Can't be sure. But it's got 4.56's already which were meant for the 31's. I just don't know the final ratio of the v6 trans to say for sure. All 3 of our trucks are gonna turn a little different when compared with each other. Don't know much about that newer 4rnr you got to include that.
gonna pull out the owner's manual and see what I see as far as ratio etc...

the wife's runs about 1500rpm at 55mph

Originally Posted by Terrys87
On your gas guage, I might suggest before you fill the tank, to pull the gas tank cover from under the rear passenger seat and see if you can operate the float by hand. Also it would tell you if the float is operating freely. I would suspect the float over the guage.

I have fixed 2 floats as the pivot point on the assembly was really rusted up. I PB Blasted the assembly and then took a wire brush, very gently, to the pivot area and got them working really smooth.

The bad things about these tanks is some of the screws tend to rust to the tank and the metal lines on the fuel pump assembly can get awful weak, so you be gentle or you could break a line and have to replace the fuel pump assembly.

If you go this route, and the test proves the float is bad, the tank has to come out to change/clean the float assembly. If any questions come up,feel free to ask, I can help in this area.

Also, wanted to suggest, I might would go by the mileage till the weather turns colder. I
dont mess with fuel tanks while it is warm enough to have gas fumes. Working on a tank and fumes gets my full respect. Fumes are more dangerous then the gas as far as spark wise, and wont be in the air as much.

As far as the dash lights, might just need to reseat the connectors in the back by taking out and reinstalling in the cluster assembly. One little trick to that is crawl under the truck and get some slack from the speedometer cable and makes it a lot easier to access the cable behind the cluster assembly.

That would be a good time to change bulbs and even color if you wanted to. One guy told me he dipped the tip of his bulb into a capful of a thin coat of paint for different colors, althought I have never tried it.

I dont know if the recall covers the drag link on these years of trucks as far as the front end. Have a Toyota dealer to run your VIN and might get a free fix and alighnment. Another way to possibly to see about your front end, try swapping front tires from your truck and see if any changes.

Exhaust..Grrr...thats a hit or miss with me. Currently dealing with that.

Terry...years back, I broke something on the top of my gas tank when i went through a car-wash and got the spray-up-from-the-bottom-to-get-the-road-salt-off action....right after that smelled gas, smelled it for a few days after, then began streaming gas under the vehicle and had to have it towed to have "something"(expensive) replaced and I do remember they had to drop the tank. so yes, at this point, we will live without a gauge.

not sure what you mean by "drag link"....I do remember a steering-rod-recall on my truck.

soon enough we will be switching to a different set of wheels on Joe's....so I will be certain they will be balanced correctly at that time. for now, I can't swear to anything.

as far as the gauges go.....I had that dash apart several times....so.....it's a PITA but i need to reconfigure the climate control routing and install a stereo, so I will do it once more...boooooo.

as far as exhaust.....JB Weld?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:01 AM

Hey Jerry..... with the 4.30's on mine now, I'm running around 2800rpm at 65mph on straights, on 31's. Which is in reality around 67-68mph... so 2760?pm at 65 on 31's I think is what I got. Here's a still shot of where I was at on the 40hwy, 75mph in 5th, 31's, 4.30's, AC on, on a bit of incline.....

I know, it's a 22re, but gearing is much of it, no? lol. Sorry if it doesn't help at all... but worth a shot, right? hahaha
Old 08-17-2011, 10:17 AM

Jeerry I doubt your gonna find the trans ratios in the FSM, however, I believe someone on here maybe Ocdropzone that had put up the gear ratios of all the transmissions, also check marlin's site, I believe they have them listed as well.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:30 AM

Oops, did I mess up? Dangit, lol.. Well, my trans is W56... not sure on the rest, and doubtfully your trans... so my bad lol.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Jeerry I doubt your gonna find the trans ratios in the FSM, however, I believe someone on here maybe Ocdropzone that had put up the gear ratios of all the transmissions, also check marlin's site, I believe they have them listed as well.
actually, I think I remember it being in the sales brochure......which I just happen to have....LOVE EBAY!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:55 AM

Maybe the gear ratio in the diff (which could be simply found on the door jam), I don't see the gear ratio of 5th gear being a sales point.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:58 AM

OK.......boooo

Mark pretty much answered anyway with the screaming 3500rpms at 75mph....so 2500 at 55mph seems appropriate. just that my truck sounds like it's barely running at 55...hehehehe.......stupid automatic trans....hehehehehe
Old 08-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
Search 4x4 wire for tranny ratios...

4.88'sx35'sx70mph=3k RPM....
Old 08-17-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Search 4x4 wire for tranny ratios...

4.88'sx35'sx70mph=3k RPM....
is that trigonometry? where's Jason?

tranny's......yeh....you would know about that stuff sailor. how many more weeks?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:43 PM

No Jerry it's called yotametry.
You gonna be home later, say within the next hour or so? I'd like to swing down for that hitch. Was thinking you could bring it down to boondockers,, But I would like to mess with it before then ad well. I can bring those shocks too.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:47 PM

I'm heading up that way tomorrow, i could drop it off. going to school board meeting at 630.....either way, no biggie.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:54 PM

ok cool yeah that'll work then, see ya tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread