86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Sounds great, bet any frustrations you may have had during the build just went up in exhaust fumes. It didnt take long for it to fire up. Great job guys.

Where your kids are jumping in the air, If I remember right, wasnt there a Toyota commercial in the 80's or 90's that said "Oh what a feeling" doing something similar? That just came to mind when I seen that pic.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:45 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
yup...the Toyota jump, that's what that was for...and cuz Mark asked for it.

yes,.....took it for a little ride yesterday.

OK....off to work.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:37 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
It didnt take long for it to fire up. Great job guys.
What Jerry hadn't said that was take 4. First start though. Took me 3 times to get the dizzy right. It's a little harder to see #1 on the 3.0 dizzy then it is on a 22r. . I also had Joe prime the fuel system, key on key off key on key off a few times, as well as we first removed the coil and turned it over some to prime the oil pump.

I also don't think he mentioned, that was Joe himself starting it up.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome job guys its gotta feel great, sounds terrific. And I love the jump pic LOL.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:59 AM

Some of my lessens learned/notes for this, hope Jerry and Joe don't mind.

When attaching vacuum hoses and such on the passenger side, ensure your reed valve hose is on first, otherwise it's a big PITA to put on. That one hose took me 30 minutes to attach after missing it and the other hoses were on. In addition to that, is the hose was long enough as well, kinda. All I did to make it fit was spin the reed valve some so the hose connection on it was closer to the intake plenum where the other connection is. ie spin it clockwise some.

After setting cam to crank timing, ensure the balancer pulley grove (not talking oil pump spline groove) for TDC is also at 0 degrees while both cam gears are matchmarked correctly as well. Keep in mind, the way the tensioner works, it IS possible for the passenger side cam to be out of time, once the tension is put back on the belt. As well as after removing the tension on it, the belt can jump a tooth or two as well. Marking both the belt itself and the corresponding sprocket tooth is a way to ensure it had not jumped on you.

If engine does not want to start on first crank when everything is back together, double check and triple check distributor position. And ensure coil wire is on. This can be checked with the timing light. It does two things, it tells you if your getting spark, if the timing light doesn't light up you don't have spark. (assuming you have the timing light hooked up properly). It also will tell you if your distributor is firing near 0-10 degrees BTDC. 0 degrees should be enough to get it to start. If your a tooth or two off timing will be at 15-25 degrees BTDC or ATDC. This can be further checked by rotating the distributor fully advanced or retarded as well. If the cranking improves like it wants to start you know your off a tooth or two.

Funniest part of the day was the spark plugs, ensure your using the correct size spark plug socket.

As far as the Thorley header goes, the supplied EGR extension pipe went on without having to cut it. When I put it on, the EGR itself was not bolted down at all and was tilted a little in order to install the extension pipe. I also ensured the hole for the pipe inside the EGR was clean and no rust etc was hindering the pipe from pushing itself all the way into it. I just used a flat head screwdriver to clean the rust and gunk out of it. Along with this was 1 of two things was in the way installing the EGR valve. Either the forward most mounting stud for it, or the engine lift hook. With either one of these removed it makes it easier to install the pipe. Keep in mind with the hook as it's also attached to the power steering and A/C brackets, so removing that stud on the intake manifold would be easier.

Also when dealing with the exhaust and original cat, make sure the cat flanges are perfectly flat, otherwise it will be nearly impossible to seal those connections. This is the only thing I remember having to kinda rig to get to work and I still think it might be leaking some. It's either easier to buy a new cat, or have a machine shop resurface those flanges for you. This goes for the factory downpipe too if retaining it.

That is all I can think of right off the top of my head.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 07-18-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Way to go guys!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey, .........Brandon, ............ YOU ROCK! lol. No, really, I just wanted to re-mention, ... very cool of you to jump in and expedite that FIRST START! I know, I'm sure you wanted to be there, etc., ...but it was still good of ya! And hey, now you wont be worried about tackling a 3.0 if a GREAT deal comes along, right? lol.

Seriously, (and NOT to take anything away from Jerry and Joes MONTHS of hard work! YOU GUYS ROCK, TOO!)
Old 07-18-2011, 05:01 PM

NO Chef....nothing can take away what Joe and I did. definitely needed Brandon's expertise for that final part. as you can tell there are so many sub-projects with this project as with any, that each must be successfully completed and then you cross t off, move forward and hope you don't go backwards.

the timing belt definitely deflated me and Joe. considering and remembering how much time we spent on that and the frustration we had doing it, to have it wrong.....that was a bad moment. Brandon put together all his brain cells and figured it out. that was the difference between a newbie and a seasoned vet.

the donut gasket was used and honestly seems to be holding up.......we will see.

battery is dead now. i presume the battery starts the truck and runs any electrical stuff instead of the alternator. we cranked it alot that 1st night, so it needs to be charged up. getting prices on alternators....for the aggravation involved in removing it, a new one will be going in.

just need money.....and time again.

thanks again everyone. need to step back and tie up alot of loose ends around here, since Joe's project has been on the front burner for a long time. with the majority of the work behind us, it shouldn't be hard to get back to speed again.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:15 PM

Jerry, test that alternator first though, alt's can't be cheap for that thing.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:28 PM

about $150.

I think i will clean contacts 1st there was a nut that held the presumed ground wire on that was all rusty.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:30 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Don't you have that 80A fuse in that sucker, like mine does? I've blown that by shorting out the alternator wire and popped one in and voila!

Sorry, hope you can find a quick fix! ......But I understand, seeing it might have to come out, .....that if it does, it's coming out and becoming a 'CORE'! lol. Still, hope you CAN fix it!
Old 07-18-2011, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alot of times the brushes inside the alternator get worn out. its not hard to replace. i would take it apart and check it.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:17 PM

I am off tomorrow.not sure if that means i wll do anything, but at least I'm not at work.

STATUS REPORT:

oil leak.....was definitely the oil pan plug bolt thingy....PHEW!!!

water leak noted today.....from the back.....not sure from where, have to investigate further.

exhaust.....yup...leaks....need to heat it up and torque it down. tried to torque one and got about 1/10th of a turn on one nut, not the other one......may end up getting this welded soon down the road.

someone tell me please, cuz i'm smart and dumb at the same time. this thing will only run for as long as the battery has power, considering that the alternator seems kaput.

otherwise she's looking good. not good but GREAT!

the boys spent the last 3 days cleaning the garage (without even asking them)......could just about park 3 vehicles in there. the place was a dang shame of a mess.

OK....gonna go out and stare at it....hehehehhe
Old 07-19-2011, 02:21 PM

if you have the exhaust weld up, just remember to tell the shop that it's stainless, NOT chromed.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:54 PM

yessir
Old 07-19-2011, 03:55 PM

started it up, ran it , no leak. took it for about a 5 mile lap and it ran just fine.no leaks, no prob.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Great job on getting it all sealed up. Cant wait to test it out (some more), done that myself, sometimes wasnt always legal. Had insurance, but that was about it.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:45 PM

can't comment.....hehehehe
Old 07-19-2011, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

way to go guys very nice now can we have a vid in the day light so we can see that pretty thing a little better
Old 07-20-2011, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by nvtoyota

way to go guys very nice now can we have a vid in the day light so we can see that pretty thing a little better
thanks and yes

Quick Reply: 8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread