86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 01:09 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
well, spent a whole $9 at AutoZone and got a new wire , hooked it on and NOTHING!

so, started trouble-shooting since now that was eliminated as a suspect.

took apart the patch job electrical connection (from the previous owner)to the positive terminal to the fuse box.....NOTHING!

put the battery charger on it again, says 100%.....said screw it and put the charger to START and viola....power!!!!

not so fast though.........just get a machine gun-ish click-click-click but no start.....apparently battery did not have enough charge to do even that.

so now my concerns are:

is the starter fried?........it's not just doing a "click".....it's doing a rapid-fire kinda click.....like i said, machine gun-ish.

i had Joe try it a few times, wanted to hear the fuel pump engage and hear the starter while i could still see it with the wheel off.....i did see a wisp of smoke come from the starter when we would keep trying it.

my next bright idea is to see if i could push it to the top of the driveway and catch it in gear.......as soon as i figure out how to make that happen.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Would help to hear it, but sounds like what you're describing is what mine did when the starter-solenoid wouldn't engage...it was just clicking away like a drummer tapping really fast on the edge of the drum...REALLY fast, lol.

When this stuff started, I could smack it with a hammer pretty good(avoiding denting it) and it would start right up. But smoke? hmmmmm, that's not good. Maybe a bad ground, but first easy check would be the "smack it with something'', hahaha.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:08 PM

chef...thanks...

it's apparently a rebuilt one as i can see "original equivalent" written on the side of the.

the smoke is nothing more than a pea-size wisp..it seemed it was directly related to the drummer noise (a much better description might i add)........so maybe a rap of my rubber mallet eh?
Old 07-10-2010, 02:43 PM

well...IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!

i don't really trust that charger.......i put it on again and let it sit even though it was saying 100%.....r-r-r-clik clik clik.........then after a few minutes try again....repeat-repeat, them VROOM.....so smoooth...yeehaw.....but after about 3 minutes the oil leak on the engine stated rearing it's ugly head and started smoking....so i quit...don't want to burn the house down.

off to the pool............
Old 07-10-2010, 03:50 PM

YEAH! Hmmmm, wonder why it's reading "100%" ...........???
Old 07-10-2010, 03:54 PM

Might help to take out the Starter, have it checked at Auto-Zone..... it's free, after all. They run it through like 20 times, to see if it seizes or whatever. Watched em do mine over here. After a few clicks of it, it did seize, even through it was brand new, and in fact, it was actually pulling load on the battery much of the time, because of some internal short in the Solenoid?

Anyway, Great to hear it's running, Brudda! Cheap Gasket for the Valve Cover, ...I used Ted's "Rock" brand, as it seemed better than the other one I'd had. Hope you seal up that sucker soon! .......Runs smooth, eh?
Old 07-10-2010, 04:23 PM

runs real smooth......have to really check this thing out....maybe get me a compression tester and figure out whats what......Joe bought it with a "needs a head gasket" disclaimer and for now the only problem i see is bilateral valve cover leaks. rplaced the radiator becaus about 1/4 of it was missing the fins.....never saw anything like that before.

took the kids for about a 5 mile ride (truck is not inspected so can't go too far....but it is plated, registered and insured) and had a ball with our high-and-tights blowing around in the breeze.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:36 PM

That's awesome! He must be so excited, eh? How long does he have to wait to drive it? hehehe. That's such a GREAT idea to have them 'KNOW' what they're driving, really well, before they take it out. It keeps many kids from 'STOMPING THEM TO DEATH', ....after all, they realize "I have to pay how much for that thing I just broke? Second summer job time!" hahhaaha.

That's great, ....so you need V.cover gaskets, eh? Gonna go with Ted or just OEM? Not too big a fix, right? Maybe you could check the valves with Joe while you're in there, eh?

PS> High and Tights? .....Swimwear? hahaha. Not sure I get that one, lol.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:50 PM

sorry....high and tight are crew-cut haircuts.......whereas i rocked the mullet down the back 20 years ago, i have been clean cut for about 10 years now at least......(as you can see from the Rausch pics)and the kids get the same haircuts from me..

i will get everything i need from Ted or Toyota.....really want to confirm if this needs head gaskets or not....so i am going to read up on doing compression testing and get me a kit...i know they are not expensive and are very valuable.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:36 PM

weird question......

with an oil leak from the valve covers as i have, do you think the compression test results will be skewed or even worthless?
Old 07-10-2010, 06:42 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
Compression test is the seal of the cylinder rings and the valve seats. My guess is that leaky valve cover wouldn't matter for the compression test.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Ya the valve covers leaking will not matter with the compression test. If you bought this with a known H/G issue I'd be leery of driving it about.

Do you see the white smoke??? Maybe the P/O thought the HG was shot when in reality the valve cover gaskets went and started leaking oil. Really keep an eye on the coolant but I think you know that already.

The rapid tapping you heard was due to the battery being too low to keep the Bendix engaged thus causing the machine gun affect.

Glad you got her running!!!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:03 PM

you said bendix.

i read about doing the compression check. seems like a many result kinda test...and kinda simple to do too.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Great to see you guys got her running and congrats on 2,000,000! Also, that is one SWEET looking 4Runner...before you know it Joe will be rolling right behind you at Rausch in his 8T8!!!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:53 AM

thanks man.....yeh...he's got another year and a half before he can drive it.....he gave it a shot yesterday, found out driving a stick isn't as easy as on a video game.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:00 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
5 pages and the heads aint off yet? ahhhhhhhh, hahahaha J/K,

Thats funny about the stick shifts on a video game, cus I can't shift on a video game.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the first time didn't go so well....dad said " now let off the clutch and give it a little gas." i did that and flew up the driveway...then i tried it the second time and it stalled... then i said "ok i don't want to break anything so you can do it."
Old 07-12-2010, 05:28 PM

really nice rig!! glad you finally got some new pics posted after botching the links for the old ones easiest way to check if the head gasket is blown is to take off the oil fill cap and look inside. if it looks like a nice creamy balsamic dressing in there, your heads are blown. and check the coolant for oil. but if the oil and water aren't mixing, the chances are your head gasket is fine. compression test to be sure, but that's the quickest check you can do to give you a solid yes or prob not. and those waterproof speakers? there was a set of those in the '88 when i got her last year, they sounded horrible, so I ripped them out. When I got them to where I could read the sticker, it said they are 12 ohm, which is house stereo rating, and most car stereos run speakers at 2 ohm, so i'm guessing that's the issue. if you want to be able to hear them, you might want to ask a pro about how you could hook them up to a car head unit. keep up the great work! I learned alot about working on cars from helping my mom with the ol' 66 coronet when I was a kid. it's awesome experience to have. now I can do almost anything, if I have the tools, tho I haven't tried an engine rebuild yet..... it's coming, tho
Old 07-12-2010, 05:37 PM

hey thanks man......yep... i /we are learning along the way here.

i think i've got some pretty fair experience already thanks to YOTATECH helping rebuild my engine (see my sig...pick thread A, if you have a few free days, pick thread B if you want a quick read with lots of YOTA-pron).......unfortunately this engine is the 3vze, so different but same approach as far as figuring stuff out.

the speakers are supposedly water proof......stereo is still sitting about 10 feet away from me, next to the couch, under the end table, where it got stuffed after Christmas......then we will see what it sounds like.

that's cool about your mom........real cool.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:52 PM

lol, thanks. I miss her alot, especially when I'm bloody knuckled under the hood wishin' the engine cage was as big as it was on that car.... good times! I didn't realize the balsamic dressing check wasn't universal... I've blown head in three different vehicles and they all looked like that inside I hope you don't have to do the head job tho, it'd be great if it was just the v-covers... I'll be watchin' for updates!! (and prob asking for advice on body work, it's another thing I've never done, lol!)

Quick Reply: 8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread