86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Sometimes on a head, it will have a number indicating which cylinder is which, not sure about the 3.0, I look and see what I can find.

Last edited by Terrys87; 06-11-2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

hGetting nervous is ok. Chef is meticulous and it something can go wrong when you have done everything right. Dont know if I would of figured his problem out.

Last edited by Terrys87; 06-11-2011 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:14 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Terry....

1st of all I was just out there.

the NAMED #1 piston (front-most on passenger's side) the piston is raised, visible and touchable as well as the NAMED #4 piston is too.

don't get all caught up in my complaining about the naming of stuff.....we figured out that sometimes in the way we were working on the engine, we had to have the book upside-down in order to have the picture jive with what we were doing.

really.....since I am assured by the book that I know what one is the #1 piston, I just need reassurance that YES I should be seeing and feeling it.......and YUP....you gave me that reassurance.

I know Brandon is having his own hell right now.....I kinda wish he was able to be out here helping me every time I am out there, but this is how I'm gonna learn....by asking questions and rationalizing everything. I'm very analytical...it's my job to understand the reasoning for everything.....but yowza, that works against me alot.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The book does make it a little confusing as to which side it is on. The net was a little confusing. Hope you didnt take it as me flaming you. I wont never flame anybody. That is not me, I just wouldnt do something like that.

Sometimes wish I had another set of eyes and hands. I think eventually everyone gets stumped and it is reassuring just to have someone help figure out the mess I get myself into.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:29 AM

ahh yes man.....I am a nervous wreck with this stuff.

No flaming felt here.

appreciate your quick work and answers.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:36 AM

Ok....just got off the phone after a disappointing 15 or 20 minutes with the local dealer.

their price, plus sales tax (6% here in Pa.) was $34.26 more (an I have to pick it up there) than ToyotaPartsZone.com shipped to my door. so , I pulled the trigger on the order.

ORDERED

(FOR ME).....bypass 32 water hose and 2 new clamps

(FOR JOE)
dipstick o-ring
motor mount bolts x 4 (messed up a part # on my 1st order...my bad)...already have the corresponding nuts
BIG fuel injector seat x 6 ( $8.57 each or $12.56 each at my dealer....OUCH!)
fuel rail cushion x 8
fuel rail nuts x 4

so this will be our FORCED stop....to wait for those few things....really all I NEED before we can plant the motor are the bolts and the dipstick o-ring.

need to do the timing belt......

and the Mr Brandon is gonna have to make a play-date with me and we will do the clutch et-al and put this motor back in........
Old 06-11-2011, 08:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Jerry, .... have you called Witch Hunter on any of that? I'm guessing you need them fast.... if not, I could run by RC Engineering, near me, and ask them for some stuff..... They just gave me 2 free sets of Grommets, O-rings, rail seats. Not sure if they'd have what you're saying you need.... I'm on 4 hours sleep again, so kinda NUMB!...forgive me, lol.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:22 AM

thats ok man....ramble away...

just got hoe from running errands with the boys. eating and gonna chill for a bit. will head out around 5 or 6 and do what we can do out there. bought some more paint since I used all the black on the engine bay.

some this and that details will be tended to now, so that when I do say go, we are totally ready.

Mark.....gonna stay with Witch Hunter......they dun me good!
Old 06-11-2011, 03:22 PM

CANNOT GET THE TIMING BELT RIGHT!!!!

no matter how hard I try.....can get the top cam pulleys lined up perfectly, bring it own across the water pump but from there I can't seem to pull it tight enough to take up the gap because then what happens is it ends up a tooth off. this, by far is the biggest PITA we have encountered. have done it at least 5 times now and am stopping for the night.

will do some searching / reading and see what I can find. expert tips welcome of course.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:52 PM

ok...

being the persistent impatient SOB I am, I came up with a scheme:

since I keep on ending up a tooth too far forward on the crankshaft, what if I turned the crankshaft 1 tooth back.......and BANG!.....it was done.

how she sits

@TDC

cams line up

driver's

passenger's

that only took over 2 or 3 hours. the DAYCO instructions list this as a 4.7hr job......now I know why.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:41 PM

Dang, ...great persistence, Jerry! Looks 'toight like a toiger!' lol.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:24 AM

thanks Mark.

ya know, it's very frustrating (I think you know the feeling....well not quite as much as you).....but I consider that I don't know what I'm doing, and most everything I do, I do for the 1st time, and I'm trying very hard to be cool with Joe, but......

anyway, that was the trick.....moving the crankshaft back one tooth....seemed so easy in my brain that it surely would not work, BUT IT DID!

Church this morning, then home. too much running around the last 2 days.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:12 AM

so today's frustration is that I attempted (yup) to install the crankshaft pulley and the was questioning myself on the location of the woodruff key....so I just figured I would just yank it back off (this is all before Church)....commenced cursing to myself and stopped. came home , made breakfast (waffles FTW!) and tried doing my webbing trick to walk it off......no dice......PB Blaster and do it again....no dice.....can't get a bite enough to pry it off........so I thought I would just try pulling and wiggling at the same time.

this is when something bad happened......

Joe and I both heard it and I definitely felt it.......a loud "crack" like as if I broke a bolt but instead I got an intensely weird pain in the middle of my middle finger on my right hand.

walked pretty far away to have some much needed "me time" and then went in the house...pretty sure that I had broken my finger. rather than that, I think I have ruptured or at least partially ruptured a tendon on my finger (flexor to be exact).......still some pain but definitely does not function as the rest and no strength).

time will tell what happens next. not sure what will happen....they don't just fix themselves.....ad I REALLY need my hands at work.

for now....meh....we have some of the covers on the front of the motor.....more ready-er....closer to being able to get this thing back in.

need a pulley puller.

gonna watch the race, since it's essentially in our back yard about 50 miles away.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 06-12-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:29 AM

DANG, sorry to hear about your finger, man! Mine is finally feeling almost painless, ....different issue, I know. Really hope that doesn't effect your work, buddy!

Hope you get the 'mechanical' issue sussed up asap, without any real difficulty, too!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:26 PM

alright....finger is out of commission.....hoping it's just a partial tear (rupture) of the tendon sheath....this is very likely since I still have function just about 90% weaker than the left hand.....some pain, feels like a knuckle that needs to be cracked. will see how it goes before I go seeking any intervention for it.

anyways....that's about it for the weekend. back to work in the morning....mon-tues / thurs-fri.....not sure what will get done this week. need a pulley puller and have to wait on parts.

c-yas
Old 06-13-2011, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Ouch on the finger, hoping it doesnt put you out of comission. That is an area you would know better than most of us. Hope it is just a deep bruise and not needing further medical care over what you just mentioned.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:38 AM

yes...gonna see how it goes today at work.
starting to think it might be broken.
maybe I'll sneak an xray of it.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jerry hope all is OK with your finger.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:34 PM

thanks....

xray negative. swollen up pretty much...a bit tricky starting IV's today.....even working the lighter is tough.

so my diagnosis is partial tear....just like a good sprained ankle causes a partial tear..no wrenching until thursday at the earliest anyways, so hopefully it's less swollen by then.

I have no problem raising the middle finger all the way up...thanks goodness I can still call signals.....making a fist...not so good.....gonna have to kick for the throat rather than punch for the throat like I usually do (it's my favorite move)....but, haven't had to do that in a while either.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:27 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
open hand strikes to the throat work better then punches.

Quick Reply: 8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread