86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 05:42 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
yeh...already had to do the bleeding arm scrub when I did my pan on my truck.....not fun
Old 06-10-2011, 02:05 AM

OK....it's a new day, off today and up early anyways. The boys have a 1/2 day of school today so sometime this afternoon we will dig in again. Joe was a bit mad yesterday because I was doing all the wrenching......but being that there's 2 heads, he gets to do the 2nd one.

today's proposed list (and I make up some of my own names for parts)
passenger's side cam and all that goes with it
put the intake manifold on
put the old water inlet on (to wedge against the old one when getting the cam pulleys on)
put the cam pulleys (or whatever they are called) back on.
start figuring out the timing component stuff and possible do the belt and stuff.

meanwhile, going to call and likely place an order with one of the toyota dealers for some parts I forgot about that can definitely hold up the show.

I promise I will take some good pics today because there will be more DOING than FIGURING OUT.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 06-10-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:13 AM

alright....think I found the part # for the itsy bitsy rubber o-ring thang for the insertion of the dipstick tube.......looks like part #96721-19010 for $1.68

Old 06-10-2011, 04:52 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
YOU??????.....where the heck have you been. you've had me / us worried sick (kinda joking cuz I know we did this a few weeks back)......thanks....it is coming together nicely,
I know, wish i could login in more, I have some new work resposiblities that are leaving me with ZERO free time to check in, more less even think about doing anything to my truck. Hopefully things will smooth out soon. In the mean time keep at it and this thing will be running and looking great in no time.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:08 AM

thanks Rob....wow , that's weird, you and me with the job thing. thankful I have one since so many don't.

did some sorting out in the garage, have a box which is essentially "things to do today" all pertaining to the passenger's side cam etc and the timing stuff. I hate being disorganized...OCD truly at work today.

found all the injectors including the CSI one.....printed off the order form for Witch Hunter and will be sending them out soon.

have to run to my little guy's school for 11am to help out with "fun day"....lotsa mommies will be there too....

the wifey ended up getting called in to work at the school (not his) so I got the move-up assignment of 'fun day helper"

and blah-blah-blah will probably start on the truck later this afternoon after grocery shopping etc.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:15 PM

so we got more stuff done tonight.

installed the other cam...
installed the timing cover back plate, torqued the cam pulleys to 80ft/lbs...new water inlet things....about 2 1/2hrs of work.....alot of it spent detailing bolts...reading etc...

ready

how we clean bolts

stuff

dirty stuff

clean stuff (done)

do the timing tomorrow

and how it sits now

Old 06-10-2011, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looking like an engine now
Old 06-10-2011, 05:36 PM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Nice work. With school letting out will Joe be home alone during the day to work on the 4Runner?

On your "cleaning bolts" picture you just posted it looked like you were bleeding under a band-aid but then I figured it was a flame on a fast food cup. I find myself recycling fast food containers to mix epoxy a lot. Anyway I have some screws and bolts from the truck's body that need degreasing and I wonder what fluid to soak them in. What do you use?
Old 06-10-2011, 05:48 PM

thanks , of course, for the compliments guys.

ahhhh....the cleaning......LOVE the stuff......"ORANGE GOOP" from Harbor Freight....best stuff going....leaves no residue like the expensive stuff.....I bought a gallon jug and use it constantly.....I take a bit of it in a plastic cup and just basically tumble them against themselves until they are clean....rinse and you are good to go.

not so sure about Joe doing any work on his own....not yet at least.

there is certainly a push to get this finished...want it on the road by the end of the month.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:38 PM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
EXCELLENT. Not sure why but I bought a big jug of Orange Goop tonight. I always wear my Harbor Freight Nitral Gloves so my hands don't get very dirty. Now I have a use for the Goop.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lookin good yall
Old 06-11-2011, 12:41 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Dang, man, ...that is some SEXY stuff! lol. Great work, Jerry, Joe .... really glad it's coming together, .... hoping it PURRRRRRRRRS for ya!
Old 06-11-2011, 02:21 AM

much sexier in person....just like me.

got some input from 2 very knowledgeable mechanic friends (namely Vitaly and PismoJoe) saying the passenger's side cam pulley should be rotated differently than it is.....waiting for clarification....and since its only 615am, I am going to get the FSM and the instructions that came with the timing kit (which are very detailed)

buuuuuuuut......because I was more concerned with installation of the hardware (pulleys) last night....I was totally going to read threads and the FSM etc to be sure I am doing this right the 1st time.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:27 AM

here's the pic again.....am being told (secretly....heehehe) that the cam pulley has the wrong side facing out

Old 06-11-2011, 03:00 AM

and thanks to Vitaly for clarifying it and him and PismoJoe for picking up on the error.

went out and flipped it over and we are back on track. amazing how I had such a sunnnuvaB of a time getting those cam pulleys off and I just installed-removed-installed at 80ft lbs with one had holding the wrench and 1 hand holding the pulley holder.

now the only down-the-road concern is where in the world do I find a torque wrench that goes up to 181ft/lbs for the crankshaft bolt?? I could picture me saying "can i borrow your torque wrench for 30 seconds or less?"

and here is the cam pulley in the correct position........Vitaly, you were right, I could see the "clean" where the bolt had been. I guess it's because they are identical wheels so I was just making them mirror each other. but I understand that it's to keep the belt from running off the front on the driver's side and from running off the back on the passenger's side.......wow....that coulda been awful

and with OCD versus ADD hard at work as always, I had to lay-out the picture of the gasket kit on the fridge, highlight the included gaskets and cross them off as we go along. also the DAYCO instructions are VERY detailed for the timing set (except that detail about the pulleys). PNW to the rescue again!!!

Old 06-11-2011, 03:01 AM

had to do that with the picture of the gaskets since they come unlabeled. SHAME ON TOYOTA! SHAME!
Old 06-11-2011, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I think I have seen one of those before. I think it is a 3.0. lol You guys are getting it to look like a motor again, and looking good at that. I will be paying close attention to start up date at the end of the month.

I will be online when you fire it up. Just keep us posted, I didnt miss 92, so I wont miss this one. Good job guys and good luck for today.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:42 AM

thanks man....getting a bit nervous now.

great thing is filling the garbage can with my empty labeled bags....i remember that simple thing made me happy with my motor too.

very simple newb question here....don't laugh. I know I should know this since we are sooooooo, deep into this right now, but the ambiguous left and right and #'s are quite confusing (IE: it says to pull the tensioner to the LEFT ...which is my LEFT but is actually towards what is named the RIGHT side head....get it???? ....that's what gets me so G-D confused)

so, when I am at TDC.....I should see the piston top on #2 and not #1 or what???

I have even attached the picture of the page from the Haynes manual. in that it says (from front to back) #1,3,5 are on the passenger's side and #2,4,6 are the driver's side.

if I truly have it at TDC right now and I go out there and poke a pencil or something in the spark plug hole of #1.....should the piston be right there or is it totally sunken?

Old 06-11-2011, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The TDC refers to the Number #1 piston as high as it will go on the compression stroke. You should be able to stick a pencil in and touch the piston. If you had your timing belt on you could turn the crank either way and your pencil should immediatly go down when you are truly at TDC.

I have worked on a 3.0, but it has been so long Im not quite sure. So I dont want to misguide you here. But usually left and right refer from the drivers seat.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I see what you mean, Which side is the #1 cylinder is on. I was thinking about your tentioner. Let me see what I can find out. Seems like on domestic model it can be either side.

Last edited by Terrys87; 06-11-2011 at 04:06 AM.

Quick Reply: 8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread