just like you sweetie.
Whaaaaaaa?
Old 06-05-2011, 05:46 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
hehehehe
Old 06-05-2011, 07:26 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Looking great, Jerry! Hey, ...just curious.. I know you're not painting the block, why bother, right? i hear ya.... Have you thought about pulling the coolant bleeder plugs and thoroughly reaming them out, etc.? Mine were COMPLETELY CLOGGED! Not just the bleeder, but the passages on either side, to and out of it were as well, ...and I THINK those feed coolant to the lower portion of the rear cylinders??

Anyway, just a thought. I just broke it loose, power vac'd it out, then again, then more vac, not letting any of it really fall into a corner and hide on me! lol.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:39 AM

honestly, we vac'd out the freeze plug holes very well. is that enough??
Old 06-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
You guys are doing great. It is looking good and looks like you are on the down hill side for awhile. The valves may have been a pain, but when you hear it fire off for the first time, that where your patience pays off.

Not to hijack your thread, but Chef, you got me wondering about those bleeder plugs. Maybe I not understanding the term or something in that nature. When I tear mine down, I try to get everything and slowly build it back up. Want to make sure Im not missing anything. If you would mind just post in my thread. Thanks
Old 06-06-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
honestly, we vac'd out the freeze plug holes very well. is that enough??
Originally Posted by Terrys87
You guys are doing great. It is looking good and looks like you are on the down hill side for awhile. The valves may have been a pain, but when you hear it fire off for the first time, that where your patience pays off.

Not to hijack your thread, but Chef, you got me wondering about those bleeder plugs. Maybe I not understanding the term or something in that nature. When I tear mine down, I try to get everything and slowly build it back up. Want to make sure Im not missing anything. If you would mind just post in my thread. Thanks
Hey guys, ....

Ok, well, .... I KNOW there are two plugs on the 22RE, Jerry, Terry. Not sure on the V6, Jerry, and neither can I say that "I'M SURE You need to do 'this or that' " Jerry, Terry.

I took a good look from the bottom(the crankcase side) to see where that one 22re 'LARGER' bleeder is in relation to the "Base" of the Block".... (I'm looking today to see if the smaller/10mm bolt plug is for oil or just a Turbo Accessory?) .... The larger one with the two separate bolt head sizes on it seems to be at the VERY BOTTOM of the rear of the block, by the base of #4 hole. (Isn't the block at a slight angle, front up from the rear by 1/4" or so?....which I would think would help you drain off alllll the coolant when thoroughly draining.)

What I also noticed was that when looking inside that bleeder plug, ....it doesn't seem to go upward(12o'clock)....More so, coolant flows from 3-9o'clock or vice versa. I would imagine nothing will blow up, guys, but I couldn't know. That, combined with the fact that I want to help drain out all the crap that might be still in there after I initially break in the thing, made me feel it was worth the lil extra effort to just pull that 17MM plug and separate the two components(14mm valve from the 17mm body) and make it all like new. One thing, as I said, that I DO KNOW for sure, .... the way mine was, it would NOT HAVE, in any way, drained anything! lol. I mean, ....other than the intake-to-radiator and water pump to radiator.... I don't see any other way to drain from the block side, getting ALL the 'yuckies' outta there! lol.

Sorry, Jerry, don't mean to blabber.... just trying to understand it all, myself, and it just seemed like a worth while 20 minute extra side order to fill, ya know?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 AM

PS> I will get a pic of the 'old' block where I removed the plug from to put in this replacement block.... So you can see where it is and how it works. Plus, I'll get a pic of how plugged the valve on the replacement block was.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:35 PM

yeah...I know there are bleeder plugs for draining the block....however, I believe they may be at about the same level as the freeze plugs....nonetheless, I did work around all the crumbs and stuff and vac'd them out and it's totally clean.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i am getting the bus of cant wait to hear it crack off and run
good job y'all have made some great progress
Old 06-06-2011, 05:35 PM

thanks....I thoroughly appreciate any and all comments guys......I am trying to be everything to everybody right now and it hasn't been going too well lately....family not liking the new job......me, myself, liking the money but not much else. it's all a balancing act....always wanted to get a tattoo depicting something about the balancing act of family and work.....

not off until friday
Old 06-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Jerry.. Was hoping having more weekeds off would work for you. Having peace of mind is something that can be hard to have and something to protect. It is a balancing act. Money is never enough, especially these days.

What about going back to your old position? Having a pager going off everytime I had something planned was something I could count on like clock work. Most have work to follow them home and home follow them to work. It not easy seperating the two.

We even had to cut down visting other family members. Cost of fuel and time with ourselves didnt necessarily go over so well with some of them, but them and us all survived it. There really isnt enough time in a day. Summer is already flying by.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry about the work stuff Jerry, I know all about the issues you face. Jobs are demanding, at least the ones that pay good are, lol

Motor looks the be moving right along though, I like the grabber green, at first I wasn't too sure about it but it has grown on me. I know that lapping those valves wasn't fun but I garuntee it will be worth the effort in the end. For me just doing the 8 in my 22re was enough.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello Jerry.. Was hoping having more weekeds off would work for you. Having peace of mind is something that can be hard to have and something to protect. It is a balancing act. Money is never enough, especially these days.

What about going back to your old position? Having a pager going off everytime I had something planned was something I could count on like clock work. Most have work to follow them home and home follow them to work. It not easy seperating the two.

We even had to cut down visting other family members. Cost of fuel and time with ourselves didnt necessarily go over so well with some of them, but them and us all survived it. There really isnt enough time in a day. Summer is already flying by.

tis a constant work in progress......I am not as overwhelmed as I may paint the picture as. essentially I am doing my same job with more money....and a title....some increased responsibilities are part of it, and some are only temporary until we get our 2 newbies out of the nest and on their own. light is at the end of the tunnel.......it'll be OK.

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Sorry about the work stuff Jerry, I know all about the issues you face. Jobs are demanding, at least the ones that pay good are, lol

Motor looks the be moving right along though, I like the grabber green, at first I wasn't too sure about it but it has grown on me. I know that lapping those valves wasn't fun but I garuntee it will be worth the effort in the end. For me just doing the 8 in my 22re was enough.

YOU??????.....where the heck have you been. you've had me / us worried sick (kinda joking cuz I know we did this a few weeks back)......thanks....it is coming together nicely, trying to form a plan of attack for our next wrenching episode.....cams / bearing caps / etc et-al / intake manifold / put it on the hoist and do the clutch and poke this motor back in
Old 06-09-2011, 05:21 PM

alrighty.....spent a few hours on the motor again.....slow and steady

torqued the motor mounts to the block, the stiffener plates to the block and the air compressor bracket too.

then it was time to dive into the cams. tonight it was only one cam....driver's side. cleaned the caps and bolts, placed the shim thingy things on...oiled the cam....and then met a bit of confusion about the cam caps / plug on the rear of the cam. placed a text and then a call to Vitaly to question about placing FIPG around the cam plug because I swore I remembered that I should, but I couldn't say 100%........he assured me I should, and we did and moved on from there (good talking to ya man......PNW FTW!).....so with that.....on with the pics (only 2)

cam in....

and just to show the contrasting colors....yes...like Christmas....har-har.......hehehehhee

so tomorrow after Joe gets home from school, we will do the passenger's side and then regroup again...
Old 06-09-2011, 05:29 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Jerry can't tell from the photo but did you grease up that cam? or at least the cam journals?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:36 PM

indeed....had a dixie cup of oil......she's all lubed up
Old 06-09-2011, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah u wanna use FIPG around any half moons before install the valve cover

looks good so far. its my xmas
Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 PM

yes too about the FIPG.....I'm in love with the stuff actually.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I would have greased them if the engine wasn't gonna be turned over soon. (within a day or two.) As the oil will have the tendency to "run off." Now I wouldn't put those rocker covers completely on till your almost ready to put everything on an start it up. This way when you add oil to the engine you can dump a very liberal amount of oil over the cam and rockers.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 06-09-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
yes too about the FIPG.....I'm in love with the stuff actually.
till u have to remove it off your hands or anything u dont want it on. also a pain after it drys lol

Quick Reply: 8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread