86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just read the build.... Looking good, subscribed for sure!
Old 05-21-2011, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow the head is looking good. awesome work so far
Old 05-21-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looking good
Old 05-21-2011, 08:26 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Noooooooooooooooo, if you only install one at a time........ my finger will explode, ...GOSH, don't you care? hahahahaaha. Jk,..... can't wait to see it all back together with all them cool colors! Those 'things'...... are those the "collars" you're talking about?
Old 05-22-2011, 02:31 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by 4runFreak
Just read the build.... Looking good, subscribed for sure!
Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
wow the head is looking good. awesome work so far
Originally Posted by twistedyota
looking good

thanks guys.....it's been fun. some stuff is exactly the same as the 22re the rest.....totally different. detail oriented I am....one thing I do like to do (and actually, I have taken note of Joe doing the same thing) is to do the hardest stuff 1st and then the rest is like gravy.

the autopsy report on this motor has only revealed 1 reason for the massive leakage of oil ...and that was that plastic-like RTV I found....the rest of the leaks I can only presume was either inferior valve-cover gasket or over (or under) torquing of the cover. it was certainly let go for a very long time. certainly I am hoping for no leaks since I really never want to do this stuff again.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Noooooooooooooooo, if you only install one at a time........ my finger will explode, ...GOSH, don't you care? hahahahaaha. Jk,..... can't wait to see it all back together with all them cool colors! Those 'things'...... are those the "collars" you're talking about?

yeh Mark....those little half-circle collars are not fun to work with. as you can see with the pics, the tool only has small openings in which you have to pass your fingers through. taking it apart...no prob....putting it back together....grrr....because you can't really use that magnet wit any success because you need to release the stuff. I had used vaseline on my 22re to hold the stuff together, but those springs are right on top.....these are buried and it's even tough to judge how much you need to compress the spring to get the collars back on. so slow and steady wins the race...i hope.

my thinking is that if we install 1 head it gets 1 head out of harm's way....almost dropped the head a few times and I know that would be a disaster to have it hit the concrete floor. in reality, it's something better suited for working on a carpet on the living room floor....but that won't happen.

need to completely detail the passenger's side head......should be an easier clean-up job since that one has far less oil on it than the driver's side did. will be very glad when we are done making messes...have ruined alot of clothes so far and I have alot more "junk" shirts and sweatpants than when we started this.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I like your bumper/wire brush setup. If it works go for it.

On your valve covers and oil pan, I figure it is better to under tighten then over tighten. Then I go back and go quarter to half turns as I find leaks. Saves dimpling your covers.

You guys are getting a step closer.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:31 AM

Hey Jerry, .....how about, ...wherever that is that you are working on the head, ..... take a ratchet strap and strap that sucker down! You could put some bolts into the table you're using, or something like that?(as anchors for the straps).

Best wishes, man, thanx for the solid explanation
Old 05-22-2011, 02:35 PM

Chef...nah....it's secure enough....just moving it around flipping it on it's side and stuff, sometimes you get it in some precarious positions. Also, in response to your question about Joe.....still aiming for medical, he had wanted to be a teacher, but that profession is tough to break in to....medicine....readily available.

farted around out there a bit more, mostly cleaned up the garage because we made a G-D mess yesterday again.

Freeze Plugs.

Yes the forsaken freeze plugs....although I had read before about stabbing them with a screwdriver and working them out....meh....not so much. was pretty much a struggle.....made a big enough hole to get a new tool (a metal stake 3 feet long with a claw at one end and more or less sharpened to a tip on the other....bought it yesterday for 50 cents at a yard sale....was oing to use it for the zombie attacks yesterday but did not need to)......anyway, stabbed the tip right in and pryed it out......repeated it one more time since 1 freeze plug had already pushed out in the winter like it's supposed to.

new plugs are in (3) and the driver's side of the block is pretty much ready......still have to do the 3 remaining valves on the head......my or may not do that tonight.

and a pic.....looking good, i think.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:36 PM

bad cellphone pic.....probably a smudged lens.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:54 PM

Looks good, ...just curious... the block getting painted?... sorry if I missed that, Jerry... I'm TRYING to keep up, promise! lol.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:59 PM

wow and I thought I put some work into painting my engine. Looks great guys.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:03 PM

nope...block is staying as is......felt that unless I had it professionally serviced and all that, i would never have it clean enough for paint.

back to the freeze plugs........so, yeah, need a big stake like i used to pry them out.....then I cleaned the surfaces with PB Blaster and rubber mallet-ed them in.....just make sure they are going in straight. had to take the motor mount and the oil filter off to get a straight hit.

and Mark....you'll appreciate this....smashed the base of my thumb....not once, not twice, but three times with the little sledge when hitting the screwdriver with it. ouch.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
wow and I thought I put some work into painting my engine. Looks great guys.

ya know....it's kinda like this. I remember putting together model cars when I was young....each piece was colored this color or that color and was able to differentiate what each part was. kinda detailed my engine a bit....but definitely not to the extent of Joe's. But, bear in mind.....Joe's motor was so oily and disgustingly filthy from oil crud, that each and every part needed to be degreased.....so the next logical step was to paint them. so painting certain parts this color or that color (aluminum-color,red,green,black) it's very easy to see what part is where. kinda will be show-worthy by the time we are finished....mostly if not completely de-skanked.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:10 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Jerry, what did you use to seal those freeze plugs? I had to use some locktite to seal mine up. When I first did it, 1 or two weaped a little.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:37 PM

hmmmm.....damn......no....I had read that some people said teflon tape.....but the are just wedged in there.....really and truly I can't see how they could possibly leak....or how I could have used tape.....and sealant I feel would have met the same fate.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:43 PM

better pics with a real camera

the dreaded freeze plugs...would have had less damage if i shot them

some better pics of the motor

Old 05-22-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
nope...block is staying as is......felt that unless I had it professionally serviced and all that, i would never have it clean enough for paint.
Gotcha ^^^

and Mark....you'll appreciate this....smashed the base of my thumb....not once, not twice, but three times with the little sledge when hitting the screwdriver with it. ouch.
EEEEEEEEEK, what is this lately, eh? hahaha. Trying to keep yourself in biz? hehe. Jk, you'll have plenty, anyhow! lol ... You ok?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
Lookin good guys!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:48 AM

thanks Logan.

yeah Mark...it's OK...a little sore. definitely not broken.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:59 AM

I understand completely about cruddy parts I keep thinking one more good day of cleaning and I will finally be able to go back in the house with out being covered in grime, think I getting close.

Quick Reply: 8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread