86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 03:23 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
jerry you and the kids gonna make it to the Boondockers mud bog this weekend near berwick? I am going and entering again.

forgot about that....as long as i'm around...DEFINITELY....and it looks like i'm around.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:03 AM

been a while and have done little to nothing.

made contact with and secured the borrowing of an engine hoist from a doctor i work with "i have a stand too, but i have an engine on it"....that's OK a stand i can justify buying, not a hoist. so hopefully in the next little while i will actually get it from him. he offered for me to go get it from his house yesterday, but i declined.....he was working. so, i will pick it up sometime when he's home....would feel funny bumbling around in his garage with him not there.

so, last night, Joe wanted to do something, anything, on his truck, so we started disconnecting things that the wire harness hooks to. plan is to flop the harness off to the side when we pull the motor, rather than pulling it with the motor. plenty of PITA connections here and the cluster of valves etc and the center back of the 3vze is apparently a hornet's nest of breakable things....so have to be extra careful.

i've read soooooooooo many things and threads about the 3vze and besides the "underpowered etc" stuff, i've seen many complaints about the cross-over pipe for the exhaust at the back. mentions noted about the excessive heat being the culprit for burning valves on the motor as well as making connections brittle. well, excessive heat combined with a 22yr old vehicle with 248,000 miles on it, will make this a delicate operation.

so headers are definitely on the list now. they have moved from the "nice to do" list, to the "need to do" list. i believe i've seen Doug Thorley, LC Engineering and i believe NWOR as sources for headers.....will research this more, but plans are to definitely do this Joe will certainly like the growl and hopefully will un-choke some power while removing the excessive heat as a concern.

that is all.

just like when i was doing my engine, this is a "back-burner" kind of project. want to do it, and do it right. so that when we button it all back up we are done and don't have to touch it again.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 09-05-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:09 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/1926064270.html

I will go get it for you. Just saying. I have seen how much they are brand new.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:29 AM

wow...you are freaky scary....
Old 09-05-2010, 06:13 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
Hehehe. I am on the hunt for those door panels, Jerry. So I see everything. And if I know someone is looking for something, it gets posted. Found a TJM bumper for 100 bucks in eureka, ca. Set of taco hubs in Spokane. And the headers.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:30 AM

find me a bucket of 50's and ill be your friend forever
Old 09-05-2010, 06:49 AM

and since i was downloading pics....a few pics from last night's disassembly of some wiring. mostly just so i can get it all back together

so, don't mind me......dum, de,dum, de dum....

Old 09-05-2010, 09:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Great to hear on the Doctor having that. Looks like this might just explode with eventfulness fairly soon, eh? lol..... Good thing he's not driving yet, that'll give you time to get it JUST right. Thing's a bit leaky, eh?

Best of luck, Jerry....... Can't wait to see this coming along.

HANG IN THERE, JOE.... it'll get done and you'll be SOOOOOOOO GLAD it was done right and with patience. Trust me, ask yer pops.... I took my time and STILL had issues, related in NO PART to anything I did incorrectly. You'll have a sweet rig when you and your dad are done!
Old 09-05-2010, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow thats a great deal on them headers!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 02:56 PM

OK....i gave in to Joe nagging me to do "something" on his truck.

the next step was the fuel rails.....had to get them off to get at the electrical connectors in my quest to get all the wiring and flop it over onto the passenger's side. we are currently 2 connectors away from having that happen. 2 electrical connectors in the nest of connectors and valves at the rear of the motor on top of the intake manifold. being real careful since i've seen so many pics of broken this and broken that because the plastic is brittle.....nothing broke so far. the 2 connectors that are left are a PITA because the y have a per clip like wire securing them. next episode i will focus on just those 2.

there was some carnage however.

damn stupid nuts holding down the fuel rails were evil. 2 of 4 no problem, partially rounded the 3rd one and destroyed the 4th one. looks ike a nut and a washer will do the trick, but there is a rubbery grommet thingy that cushions it that had to be sacrificed, so i will be looking for part #'s now.

pics....

after successfully rounding the nut off because it was brittle, i took advantage of it's brittle-ness and put a chisel through it to loosen it up.....then was able to unscrew it.....so, in other words, i saved the threads on the stud.....YAY.

proof that the wires are mostly disconnected

the passenger's side fuel rail had to be left in because the feed does not look like it can be serviced by me......but because it is flexible, i was able to flop it over.

injectors are out, numbered and bagged and someday will be sent to Witch Hunter along with the Cold Start Injector for rehab.

he feels better we are still moving forward, and so do i.

school starts tomorrow for him....so this will be a hobby again.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:05 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Sweet, nice progress, Jerry and Joe! Hope school isn't too cumbersome, Joe... best wishes on the first day!
Old 09-06-2010, 03:14 PM

Joe says thanks.

9th grade now, little guy is going to 3rd. how is it that i'm not getting older????

i'm assuming i have to get the a/c off the engine, since disconnecting after the compressor seems like special tools are needed.

power steering has been disconnected already. have to keep on looking to see what else is connected to the engine that will need to be removed.

of course, exhaust and transmission will be on the hit list as well.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice man!!!! Like to see progress!!!!

Old 09-09-2010, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
On having to chisel the nut, sometimes nothing goes right and the next day it will all go smooth. Take a break every now and then, just steadily stay after it. Keep it fun and relaxing. It paid off on your 92. But if you ever get one running with out some kind of leak or minor setback you are a better man than I am. If you find an easier way on getting the paperclip connections off let me know. I always used a finishing nail and carefully lift it off. Still doesnt always work. Might be a better way out there.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
On having to chisel the nut, sometimes nothing goes right and the next day it will all go smooth. Take a break every now and then, just steadily stay after it. Keep it fun and relaxing. It paid off on your 92. But if you ever get one running with out some kind of leak or minor setback you are a better man than I am. If you find an easier way on getting the paperclip connections off let me know. I always used a finishing nail and carefully lift it off. Still doesnt always work. Might be a better way out there.

funny you say that......my way is CURVED HEMOSTATS....not sure what they would be called in the real world, but in the medical world this is wat they are called.....kinda like really small / angled needle nose pliers that lock in place.....we use them (and throw them away) at work for suturing (stitches......I work in an ER), so every now and again, we open one of these kits and don't use all the stuff in them so i have several of these things. also great for taking hooks out of fishies mouths.

but anyway.....it's alot easier to find these hemostats if they fall with the clip in it's jaws than looking around for just the clip.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Roach clips is what the real world calls them!!!

Old 09-09-2010, 05:58 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Good to see this coming along Jerry, Just checking into say hello. Looks like I will be doing some 3.0 on a good freinds 89 4runner, so take lots of pics & notes for me so I can follow you again.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Roach clips is what the real world calls them!!!

oh boy.

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Good to see this coming along Jerry, Just checking into say hello. Looks like I will be doing some 3.0 on a good freinds 89 4runner, so take lots of pics & notes for me so I can follow you again.
hahhaha......got another 6 months???
Old 09-09-2010, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how old do you have to be to get your license in Pennsylvania??? i can see this rig being no joke by the time he drives. lol
Old 09-09-2010, 01:29 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
16. used to be 15.5 for permit allowing full lic at 16. but now it's 16 but you can get your full lic shortly thereafter.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 09-09-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread