86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing truck man, I want one like this soon!
Old 08-06-2010, 01:41 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
thanks.

it is a sharp looking 4runner. he was lucky to find one so good.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:31 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya on the armrest, ....they're too LOW! lol. I might have found a buddies cooler style with 4 outlets available. I'll write it up if I do. It's MUCH taller, not too wide and can hold a 9 pack, lol. Not a bad idea for longer trips, ya know? (No, not for Beerskies, ...I don't drink, ...but I'd gladly keep a couple cold for ya, Jerry! )

Best wishes on forward progress on the 88!
Old 08-06-2010, 12:08 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
incoming good price man not gonna find one cheaper than this. even to rent one. get outta that pool and jump on this:

http://scranton.craigslist.org/tls/1882827668.html

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 08-06-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:15 AM

excellent...go get it....hehehehe

OK...doing some reading.

for reference

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-slowly-51371/
Old 08-07-2010, 03:59 AM

hazleton too far for you?
Old 08-07-2010, 04:19 AM

noooo.

that is an awesome price.

just want a stand right now. figure a lift is something i can borrow or rent. still a long ways away from being at that part yet.

searching 3vze engine removal is frustrating. maybe i will search how to replace the clutch since i assume that is the same amount of steps to getting the transmission separated.

also have been looking for alternate exhaust set-up. Doug Thorley / LCE came up and i have been looking at them.

if i'm not mistaken, one of the problems with this engine is the exhaust crossover pipe behind it and the fact that it can cook some valves. i think the header would eliminate the crossover (as per LCE's site).

trying to not spend too much imaginary money (since the real stuff is in short supply) but trying to see what i can / should do so that this is a 1-time deal.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:26 AM

your gonna need that engine lift for at least 2 days (1 day to pull and one day to install) that's $50 a day at least using the price of this, when I was searching around to rent one myself I couldn't find one to rent. As for the engine stand yur gonna need that for a few days maybe even a week or two or three.

and remember these engine lifts you can sell quick. I only had mine back on CL for 3 days if that. A guy traveled down from Binghamton to pick them up.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:29 AM

here's another idea since you have a garage, you can secure up a mount in the roof and use a chain fall as well.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
here's another idea since you have a garage, you can secure up a mount in the roof and use a chain fall as well.

ahhhhh....you've been reading my mind.......hehehhehehe.

scheming that one up, i am.

just have to figure out how to make it do ore than move up and down.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:02 AM

Harbor freight has one that runs on sliders, to bring it to the edge of the garage, whatever. They might have an explanation of how EXACTLY it operates... then maybe a "jerry-rig" with a lil Joe assistance could be in the future? hehehe.

I know they make these VERY HEAVY casters with sliding rails that you can buy at Home Depot.... Not sure of the weight capacity, but I think they are meant for like entire Garage Doors, etc. Might work, Jerry. Heck, I bet you could bolt 2x12's w/support over the beams and just run some HD wheel system to slide it back and forth.... I BELIEVE IN YOU! HAHAHHA.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:00 PM

you don't have to as long as the truck is on its wheels, just move the truck back and forth.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:01 PM

chef those ones that run on sliders usually run on a horizontal I beam. We have 2 ton manual ones in work to take apart manufacturing pumps and also a 5 ton electrical one for changing forklift batteries.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:36 PM

yeh...probably just be easier to buy an engine hoist
Old 08-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
likewise, we now have a HOBBY......seriously, something i NEVER had.
I hear you on the hobby thing. I started fairly recently. Keeps me of of the couch and is rewarding afterwards. I started 3 years ago on a 91 4x4 red, like yours and when I got it finished she wanted an extended cab so me and the 2 kids could fit in. My nephew wanted so I let him have it for what I had in it. Now shes got a 91 Extended cab. Alot of the things I found for hers will work on this. I also have 87 flat bed like xxxteremes and I came across a short narrow bed for mini trucks that I want to put on it. Just have to beat the bushes for parts like ebay, craigslist, and locally. If there are any other sites you know of let me know. Since you have a nice shop floor, you can just roll it using a chain hoist. I just have chock blocks to keep it from rolling to far, but usually isnt a problem. Hang in there.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:31 AM

Thanks Terry.

sooooo...PITA thing here.

frequently, I read my FSM (full fledged FSM for my 92) for all my info and also read my Hayne's and Chilton's books that i have. I figure that if i look at them enough times , the combined info may gel in my brain and make life easier as I am intimidated by the prospect of pulling the engine.

was sitting there reading the FSM yesterday and thought to myself that there may be differences between the 88 4runner and the 3vze that is shown in my 92 FSM....so i posted up that question in another thread and DC said that sensors and wiring are slightly different and (paraphrasing) the motors are fundamentally the same.

I did download the year-specific FSM (1988 4runner) a while back just after we got the 4runner and had used it several times for body stuff etc...but, the 3vze that this truck has is NOT covered in the FSM that i downloaded. is that stupid or what. i even went out and checked the production date of the vehicle to be sure i am not calling it wrong. born on July 88....insurance company (via VIN) and the state DMV call it an 88 so why is the motor not covered in the year-specific FSM??

so, big long-winded post here, but really, all I'm looking to do anyway is release the transmission from the engine and the exhaust and get ready to pull it. of course, i will disconnect the electrical from the engine, since it looks like that's the simpler route rather than pulling it from the ECU and doing it that way.

still looking for an engine stand and a hoist.....have been haunting CL and our local classified ads for both....have found a few "local" ones but the savings would likely be off-set by the amount of gas to buy them. so, likely will buy a stand and figure out the hoist thing.

still a long ways off from pulling the engine though.money is REALLY tight right now, so the luxury of doing this rebuild has fallen way down on the priority list. sorry joe.

just thought i'd update so you guys don't think i died.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
Thanks Terry.

sooooo...PITA thing here.

frequently, I read my FSM (full fledged FSM for my 92) for all my info and also read my Hayne's and Chilton's books that i have. I figure that if i look at them enough times , the combined info may gel in my brain and make life easier as I am intimidated by the prospect of pulling the engine.

was sitting there reading the FSM yesterday and thought to myself that there may be differences between the 88 4runner and the 3vze that is shown in my 92 FSM....so i posted up that question in another thread and DC said that sensors and wiring are slightly different and (paraphrasing) the motors are fundamentally the same.

I did download the year-specific FSM (1988 4runner) a while back just after we got the 4runner and had used it several times for body stuff etc...but, the 3vze that this truck has is NOT covered in the FSM that i downloaded. is that stupid or what. i even went out and checked the production date of the vehicle to be sure i am not calling it wrong. born on July 88....insurance company (via VIN) and the state DMV call it an 88 so why is the motor not covered in the year-specific FSM??

so, big long-winded post here, but really, all I'm looking to do anyway is release the transmission from the engine and the exhaust and get ready to pull it. of course, i will disconnect the electrical from the engine, since it looks like that's the simpler route rather than pulling it from the ECU and doing it that way.

still looking for an engine stand and a hoist.....have been haunting CL and our local classified ads for both....have found a few "local" ones but the savings would likely be off-set by the amount of gas to buy them. so, likely will buy a stand and figure out the hoist thing.

still a long ways off from pulling the engine though.money is REALLY tight right now, so the luxury of doing this rebuild has fallen way down on the priority list. sorry joe.

just thought i'd update so you guys don't think i died.
Wow, that's a bunch of mildly depressing stuffs! Lol, jk... You'll get it, Jerry, NO WORRIES! I know the 'Money's toight loik a toiger' thing, myself... GRRR, LOL. I finally got tires, because my boss is paying for them. Picking them up Monday.(Got the same ones I have, they're economical and practical for me- 31x10.50x15 BFG AT/KO's) And, they do financing at my buddies shop, so they can pay them off in 6 Mo. w/no interest(I mention that as a possibly viable option for you, via some shipping to you company?)

Dang, I don't envy you having to figure out a new motor now...but seeing as I have my eyes open for a reasonable 3.4 Taco or 2nd or 3rd gen 4Runner, .... I'd better at least be reading up a LIL BIT, eh? lol.

You're a fun guy to watch work and chat with, and you've done fine thus far, even on things you've though, "OH HECK NO!" before on, eh? hahaha. You'll do great, Jerry, ...Plus, you got a very wise young man as a second set of eyes that can help out, I'm sure, right?
Old 08-14-2010, 04:35 PM

thanks Chef...yes...it will come.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:49 PM

http://poconos.craigslist.org/tls/1900459711.html
Old 08-16-2010, 07:05 AM

jerry you and the kids gonna make it to the Boondockers mud bog this weekend near berwick? I am going and entering again.

Quick Reply: 8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread