86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

22re turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22re turbo build

I just joined this forum, and I've read a couple of (what appear to be) the more successful 22re turbo builds. They've been extremely helpful. I have a 92 toyota pickup, 2wd, 5spd, 22re. 200k miles, bone stock. Got the truck for 1000$, had a couple minor issues that were easily corrected. I've been working for toyota for 3 years as a technician. The motor is strong, and reliable as hell (no surprises there). I bought it to move a bunch of stuff out of my dads house after he passed away, make some dump runs, and for picking up parts for side jobs. The entire time I've owned the truck I have been fantasizing about doing a motor swap like the ones I've seen on 1320 video. One truck similar to mine had a 2jz with big turbo running 10's at the drag strip, another with a turbo'd honda k24. In every case, the truck is a total sleeper, which is what i love about it. Both are obviously appealing swaps, but the more I thought about it, the more I started leaning towards just re-building the motor i got, and adding a turbo. It seems as though that would simplify the project, and save a lot of weight on a truck that's already front heavy. I've budgeted 3,500$ for the build, but I understand the cost could exceed that, and I'm prepared to spend a little more if need be. Here's how I've expected to spend that money:

Block and head to the machine shop, balanced rotating assembly, maybe a little mill on the block and deck the head/front cover a bit (if need be).
Not sure if i wanna bore over the cylinders, but definitely get them matched up to some weisco pistons. i was thinking 9.0:1 compression (I know that sounds high, i will explain)
Stronger rods
New bearings, and bushings
ARP head bolts
head gasket recommendations?
Valve springs, retainers, and haven't decided on a cam, feel free to make recommendations
1000$-1500$
For the exhaust manifold, i believe i read somewhere that you can use a 22rte manifold, and an adapter plate for a t4 flanged turbo? if this is so, it's an appealing route because i'm not skilled enough to weld up my own manifold. Though I've seen some home made ones on this site that are super bad ass.
100-200$
Not sure which turbo i want yet, totally open for recommendations.
?
Bigger injectors, a walboro pump, and a new fpr and possibly a gauge, looking for recommendations on appropriate injector cc's, fuel pump liter's/hour, and suggestions on a FPR.
?
Gonna run a pressurized oil line, T'd off the sending unit, and drill a fitting into the pan for a drain
If the turbo is water cool'd, which would be nice, just going to delete the heater core and run those lines through the turbo. If it isn't water cooled, I'm going to add a liquid-air oil cooler in between on the pressure side before the turbo.
All the boost pipe plumbing seems simple enough, probably going to go with a little, used FMIC, keep intake temps down, without spending huge money.
200$ tops
And the most important part, I'm definitely getting a mega squirt set up, and hopefully adding a coil over ignition system, I've seen them done on this forum, if anyone knows a company that offers a good kit, i'm all ears. With the proper tune, and ignition system, i don't think 9:1 compression should be an issue at all. I'm gonna run a MAP sensor, simplify the intake track, an IAT, and if the budget allows, a wideband air/fuel sensor, and possibly an EGT as well.
1,500$ (maybe more with the wide-band)

Couple questions, all advice appreciated:

Which mega squirt (1, 2, or 3) do you guys recommend? Or is Micro Squirt simpler and cheaper? How strong are these cast iron blocks? My goal is 300 hp, and 350 tq, do you guys think i'll need sleeves? Any cam suggestions? if there's anything in my list that sounds stupid, or like a waste of money, please feel free to mention. I've rebuilt many motors, but the only motors i've built for power and boost were honda motors. I think i already asked about 22rte manifolds and adapters..
I'm not doing this build for gas mileage. I want a fun little sleeper, and i've always loved these trucks. If you feel like i'm wasting my time and i should go for a 2j, or whatever else, please share. I won't be offended.

I'll be posting updates as i pull the motor, machine shop, assembly, ect. ect. Here are some before pictures of the truck

the starting point

Before pictures

Before pictures

Last edited by dropzone; 08-12-2019 at 05:51 AM. Reason: censor picked up on language
The following users liked this post:
94Yota@NC (01-27-2020)