86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1988 4Runner Resto

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 06:51 PM

Received 576 Likes on 454 Posts
I forgot about Toyota USA's parts page https://parts.toyota.com/. This site is relatively new.

I like that the parts on the diagrams are selectable and take you to your selected part in the parts list.

The only problem I have found, at least with our older trucks, is that the diagrams are not filtered too well. For example, if I type in my VIN into the "search by VIN" I can get diagrams for the 3VZ-E engine along with the 22R and 22R-E, which was not available for my model year. Just as long as you know what assemblies should look like, this site is very useful!

Last edited by old87yota; 08-30-2018 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-31-2018, 05:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Got to get in on this discuss about buying parts. I have been lucky somewhat. I usually go down to the dealers and ask if they would match an online price and i give them my spread sheet with the various sites and prices for the item I am looking for. On the average most Toyota Dealer (Never had any luck at a Nissan Dealer though) will get close or match the prices. Since I visit the dealer 3 or 4 time a year for parts they seem to be always welcome to get me a decent price.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:07 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
I ordered through toyota parts overstock recently and their prices were very fair and the shipping was reasonable too. Found another website toyotapartsdeal.com but they had some bad reviews, I'd stay away from that one.
Good call, too many to chose from to take one with a bad rep. Thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted by old87yota
I forgot about Toyota USA's parts page https://parts.toyota.com/. This site is relatively new.

I like that the parts on the diagrams are selectable and take you to your selected part in the parts list.

The only problem I have found, at least with our older trucks, is that the diagrams are not filtered too well. For example, if I type in my VIN into the "search by VIN" I can get diagrams for the 3VZ-E engine along with the 22R and 22R-E, which was not available for my model year. Just as long as you know what assemblies should look like, this site is very useful!

I noticed the same problem, some of the front axle/hub diagrams seemed to have solid axle parts!

Originally Posted by junk4u
Got to get in on this discuss about buying parts. I have been lucky somewhat. I usually go down to the dealers and ask if they would match an online price and i give them my spread sheet with the various sites and prices for the item I am looking for. On the average most Toyota Dealer (Never had any luck at a Nissan Dealer though) will get close or match the prices. Since I visit the dealer 3 or 4 time a year for parts they seem to be always welcome to get me a decent price.
I will have to give this a shot, I tried this a few times at Dublin Toyota, but unfortunately instead of trying to charge me MSRP, they were above it! Specifically when I tried to order the knock sensor pigtail wire for the 5vz rebuild, they wanted something like $45 for it when the online MSRP was ~$35. I will check out the new dealer near me now that I have moved and see if they are any friendlier.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:57 AM

You may also be able to get a quote from a few dealers (noting to online sites prices for the exact same) via email. Each dealer has a parts request online. I've never used it, but its worth a try to all the dealers with a short radius from you.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by junk4u
You may also be able to get a quote from a few dealers (noting to online sites prices for the exact same) via email. Each dealer has a parts request online. I've never used it, but its worth a try to all the dealers with a short radius from you.
Unfortunately the local dealers were not wanting to give an inch, ah well. Online order it is! It is too bad, you would think they would rather make some money off me than none.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by mbomberz1
Unfortunately the local dealers were not wanting to give an inch, ah well. Online order it is! It is too bad, you would think they would rather make some money off me than none.

Sorry to hear that, I've been pretty lucky here down south I have been able to get prices the same as online minus the shipping from multiple dealers in my area.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:11 AM

Sort of a big update. I spent a good chunk of the labor day weekend digging into the 4runner and was able to make some good progress. Biggest thing to mention is that I was able to return the ignition and starter system wiring to stock, and it now runs and starts like it should! I am not sure why the push button starter was installed, as once I fixed the starter relay hack job, and reconnected the starter trigger wire, everything back to how it should be.

Video of the engine running, sort of:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vyqkMv9qBeki8Vdm6

The engine needs a lot of love and a tune up. I need to do leak down and compression test on it before I decide to put any money into though. There is a nice loud tap noise pretty it just needs a valve adjustment, time will tell. If i do the leak down and compression and everything comes back OK, I will go ahead and try to get it running good, and make it smog legal and register it. If not, its time to start shopping for a 5vz. The end goal is to get a 5vz in there but there is quite a lot to do right now and that is a good chunk of money I would rather put off from spending just yet. Got to spread it out!

Once I got it running I shifted my focus to the interior. It is disgusting and I really want to get it cleaned out as soon as possible for my own sake. It is hard to crawl around the under side of the dash smelling what looks like 20 years of dog and muddy feet..

So i started off at the back and ripped out all of the carpeting and seating behind the drivers seats.

As you can see, the seats were pretty terrible. I purchased a smaller Bissell spotclean pro off amazon and went to work. After probably 5 hours I had all of this stuff cleaned up and drying in the sun. The carpet didnt come out perfect, and it seems to be shrunken a bit, but it should do for now.

Here is what the seats look like after a good hour on these:

Once everything was 'clean' and drying, I went and scrubbed out the floor, there was a ton of dirt, hair and nasty mess built up under the rug and seats. It is starting to feel a little bit better inside now:

The next afternoon once everything had dried really well I started putting it back together. The carpet is really shrunken but with some gentle tactics I was able to get it to stretch out length wise long enough to let the seats fold all the way down. I just slowly put some pressure on it and eventually it loosened up. I need to find a way to do the same thing width wise. Maybe make some sort of jig that can stretch it out that way too so that I can tuck the sides back in under the plastic panels like it should be.

I also had an old set of floor mats from my 06 Tacoma that I sold. They should do just fine up front, once I get that part cleaned.. Cant bear to set them down on the filth up there yet.

I think my next job will be to strip out the driver seats and front carpeting, clean that up really good so you can actually sit up there. Then start working on the interior plastics one at a time during the week between whatever big job comes up next!
The following users liked this post:
SomedayJ (05-08-2019)
Old 09-05-2018, 07:19 AM

I almost forgot, look what I found tucked up in the back bumper

That looks like the original 2nd key with out the plastic cover on it. The hide-a-key box is also curious, it says made in Hong Kong on it, curious if this was just some random aftermarket part store piece or if these were available at the dealers in the 80's?
SomedayJ (05-08-2019)
Old 09-05-2018, 10:32 AM

Received 576 Likes on 454 Posts
The engine lives! Well, at least for now.

The rear upholstery looks much better, and probably smells much better too!

I cannot stand owning a dirty vehicle. Cleaning the interior would be one of my top priorities too!

It is cool that you found the original spare key. The hide-a-key box was probably an auto parts store purchase, but dealers do sell aftermarket add-ons like this (sunshades, emergency kits, cushions for long road trips, etc.) on shelves in front of the parts counter.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by old87yota
The engine lives! Well, at least for now.

The rear upholstery looks much better, and probably smells much better too!

I cannot stand owning a dirty vehicle. Cleaning the interior would be one of my top priorities too!

It is cool that you found the original spare key. The hide-a-key box was probably an auto parts store purchase, but dealers do sell aftermarket add-ons like this (sunshades, emergency kits, cushions for long road trips, etc.) on shelves in front of the parts counter.

Hey ol87, I couldnt agree more. For as much time as we spend in/around/on/under these trucks the last thing I want to deal with is breathing in someone elses dander and soiley grime. Makes me feel a lot better being in these older trucks when they feel clean inside too. The seats definitely smell a lot better, as for the carpet, I need to see how well its going to lay down still. I kind of see myself buying a new set of carpets for this truck towards the end of the project.. we will see!

Thanks for stopping by and giving your 2 cents
Old 09-05-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Nice work on the clean up! I also can't stand a dirty vehicle. I run just a bikini top most of the summer, so its about time I give my interior a good scrubbing and get the hard top back on for fall.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:39 AM

Received 901 Likes on 598 Posts
Wow! What an amazing improvement on the rear seats and carpet.
I rented a Rug Doctor and used that on mine. They had some sort of soot all over them.
But after seeing how well your rear carpet came out, I may try again on mine.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by jakey poo
Nice work on the clean up! I also can't stand a dirty vehicle. I run just a bikini top most of the summer, so its about time I give my interior a good scrubbing and get the hard top back on for fall.
What type of bikini top do you have? Would you recommend it? Something I might have to start shopping for one of these days!

Originally Posted by Melrose 4r
Wow! What an amazing improvement on the rear seats and carpet.
I rented a Rug Doctor and used that on mine. They had some sort of soot all over them.
But after seeing how well your rear carpet came out, I may try again on mine.
Thanks buddy, what worked really well on the carpet was a combination of using a strong degreaser/cleaner with a pressure washer then carpet cleaner. The pressure washer (not a really powerful one, just some harbor freight junk) was great to lift out the deep down dirt. I did a lot of passes with that on a kind of fan shape to 'push' the dirt up and flow it forward one pass after another, if that makes sense.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:27 AM

Might be blasphemy but its a Bestop brand Jeep top for a '90 Jeep wrangler that I owned years ago. Actually fits perfectly!
Old 09-06-2018, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by jakey poo
Might be blasphemy but its a Bestop brand Jeep top for a '90 Jeep wrangler that I owned years ago. Actually fits perfectly!

Do you have any pictures of it? Now I am extra curious!
Old 09-07-2018, 11:51 AM

Same top, old 4Runner lol

SomedayJ (05-08-2019)
Old 09-10-2018, 08:25 AM

Looks great man, very nice!

Well not much to update. Long week and I didnt have much time to work on anything. I did start cleaning out the front half of the interior and found an unfortunate thing. The reason the driver side carpet is so black is from the brake master cylinder leaking down into the cab and soaking into the carpet leaving it kinda wet with brake fluid to absorb everything, while also melting all the paint and rubber matting in the driver foot well. The only upside is that this gives me the perfect motivation to strip out the bad , put some roll in paint/sealer and then start covering the inside of the cab with sound deadening rubber. Got a bit from Amazon to try, should be interesting.

Gross!

Old 09-10-2018, 08:27 AM

Before I forget.. from what I can see, the only way to get the middle carpet section out is to drain the coolant? Seems like I have to remove the back seat heater and to do that, disconnect the coolant lines to it under the cab. Let me know if I am missing some trick. Either way the coolant needs a good flush, or 5.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Loving the updates! Nice clean up on the interior. Can't stand it either. Not sure about removing the rear heater to remove the carpet but definitely a good idea to give it a flush. Looks growdy!
Do you want to keep the rear heater? You could always cap it.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:43 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Also, sweet that this is an sr5 with A/C, cruise control, power windows, moon roof, etc. Missing the factory sunshade?

Quick Reply: 1988 4Runner Resto